Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Shadows 21:06 - Nov 5 with 3011 viewsBlueToad

Watching Cole Skuse retreating to take the ball off the CBs and on at least one occasion take it from behind the CBs makes my bones shudder.

Really bad memories.

Poll: Where are we now with Lambert In vs. Out ?

The Shadows on 21:07 - Nov 5 with 2564 viewschrismakin

Like Morsy does for us now you mean?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

The Shadows on 21:09 - Nov 5 with 2553 viewsEwan_Oozami

The Shadows on 21:07 - Nov 5 by chrismakin

Morsy's generally 20 yards further up the pitch....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

The Shadows on 21:09 - Nov 5 with 2558 viewsSkip_Intro

you're seriously comparing Morsy to Skuse? Even for you that's a bit special...
The Shadows on 21:09 - Nov 5 with 2539 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The Shadows on 21:09 - Nov 5 by Skip_Intro

#bekind

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

The Shadows on 21:11 - Nov 5 with 2525 viewsSkip_Intro

The Shadows on 21:09 - Nov 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

#bekind

that was me being kind...
The Shadows on 21:11 - Nov 5 with 2506 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The Shadows on 21:11 - Nov 5 by Skip_Intro

that was me being kind...

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

The Shadows on 21:12 - Nov 5 with 2491 viewschrismakin

The Shadows on 21:09 - Nov 5 by Skip_Intro

Not quite no. But I've seen Morsy drop deep and collect the ball and spray it around, nothing wrong with that.

Also. Skuse was a brilliant championship midfielder. A different type to Morsy but still was a solid player.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

The Shadows on 21:12 - Nov 5 with 2480 viewsBlueToad

Yeah, just like Morsy

LOL

Poll: Where are we now with Lambert In vs. Out ?

Login to get fewer ads

The Shadows on 21:14 - Nov 5 with 2441 viewschrismakin

The Shadows on 21:12 - Nov 5 by BlueToad

Yeah, just like Morsy

LOL

Don't really see the issue with a dcm collecting the ball to spray it around tbh.

The Shadows on 21:14 - Nov 5 with 2451 viewsSkip_Intro

The Shadows on 21:12 - Nov 5 by chrismakin

Not quite no. But I've seen Morsy drop deep and collect the ball and spray it around, nothing wrong with that.

Also. Skuse was a brilliant championship midfielder. A different type to Morsy but still was a solid player.

totally different players...Skuse was decent at breaking things up and playing the ball sideways or backwards but that was pretty much it...Morsy has the same in his locker but offers much more going forwards
The Shadows on 21:16 - Nov 5 with 2410 viewschrismakin

The Shadows on 21:14 - Nov 5 by Skip_Intro

totally different players...Skuse was decent at breaking things up and playing the ball sideways or backwards but that was pretty much it...Morsy has the same in his locker but offers much more going forwards

I agree. I didn't and wasn't comparing them as players which Is why in the post you replied to I said different type of player.

I just don't see why collecting the ball is a bad thing. Skuse made a living in the champ doing it so he must have been good at it. He's at a different stage of life now but he still does it well
[Post edited 5 Nov 2021 21:18]

The Shadows on 21:18 - Nov 5 with 2401 viewsSkip_Intro

The Shadows on 21:11 - Nov 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

The Shadows on 23:44 - Nov 5 with 2179 viewsOsborneOneNil

Ah mate, I’ve never picked you up on any of your posts, but Skuse was never a brilliant Championship midfielder. He was bang average, and that’s me being generous.

Morsy is on a different planet. Just saying.
The Shadows on 23:45 - Nov 5 with 2171 viewsOsborneOneNil

The Shadows on 21:09 - Nov 5 by Ewan_Oozami

Morsy's generally 20 yards further up the pitch....

And passes the ball forward.
The Shadows on 23:50 - Nov 5 with 2151 viewschrismakin

The Shadows on 23:44 - Nov 5 by OsborneOneNil

Ah mate, I’ve never picked you up on any of your posts, but Skuse was never a brilliant Championship midfielder. He was bang average, and that’s me being generous.

That's ok, personally I think the vast amount of championship appearances he had shows he wasn't an average player but I appreciate we all see different things

Morsy is a great player in his role which is of course different to Skuse so I wasn't comparing them as players.

The Shadows on 23:59 - Nov 5 with 2137 viewsOsborneOneNil

The Shadows on 23:50 - Nov 5 by chrismakin

That's ok, personally I think the vast amount of championship appearances he had shows he wasn't an average player but I appreciate we all see different things

Morsy is a great player in his role which is of course different to Skuse so I wasn't comparing them as players.

Fair play mate 👍
The Shadows on 00:00 - Nov 6 with 2132 viewshave_a_word_with_him

The Shadows on 23:50 - Nov 5 by chrismakin

But you did. Skuse was a big part of the worst ever era in our club's decline, but you think he was a brilliant championship midfielder, so I presume you think it must have been everyone else's fault, riiiiight.
The Shadows on 00:41 - Nov 6 with 2062 viewsSwansea_Blue

Er, that's quite normal depending on how teams are set up.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Shadows on 00:47 - Nov 6 with 2051 viewstextbackup

"Skuse was a brilliant championship midfielder."

so why didnt he play for a top champ club? he played for us, in a team that was mid to low table, then the worse team in that league in the end.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The Shadows on 01:07 - Nov 6 with 2031 viewsSwansea_Blue

The Shadows on 00:47 - Nov 6 by textbackup

"Skuse was a brilliant championship midfielder."

so why didnt he play for a top champ club? he played for us, in a team that was mid to low table, then the worse team in that league in the end.

He did, and then we became sh*t through years of lack of investment and because our manager didn’t think the midfield needed to be involved. He was a solid, under appreciated decent Championship midfielder when he joined us. Playing for a team challenging for promotion.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Shadows on 02:44 - Nov 6 with 1988 viewsReusersTown

Tbf if you mean by a different planet you mean league 1 you may be right!
The Shadows on 02:54 - Nov 6 with 1977 viewstextbackup

The Shadows on 01:07 - Nov 6 by Swansea_Blue

He did, and then we became sh*t through years of lack of investment and because our manager didn’t think the midfield needed to be involved. He was a solid, under appreciated decent Championship midfielder when he joined us. Playing for a team challenging for promotion.

we challenged for promotion once. one season.

he was a decent, solid championship midfielder, not doubting that. im doubting him being called brilliant.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2021 8:31]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The Shadows on 07:50 - Nov 6 with 1846 viewsKeaneish

The Shadows on 01:07 - Nov 6 by Swansea_Blue

I think we can all agree that at one stage he was Championship quality level of varying degrees. What I think we can all also agree that he was never and never would be a PL standard player as Mick was touting him to be.

I always thought Skuse had more in his locker. Hurst tried to get him playing higher up the pitch and carrying the ball more but everything around him was too disjointed to be effective.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

The Shadows on 08:20 - Nov 6 with 1751 viewsitfcjoe

Morsy has played 4 seasons in the Chanpionship, been relegated twice (one due to admin so should be a mid table finish) and finished 23rd, 18th and 10th.

He’s been really impressive so far, and exactly what we need - but it’s forgotten where someone like Skuse was in his prime - if Morsy was on a different planet he’d be in the top end of the Championship, a position he’s never been in

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Shadows on 08:23 - Nov 6 with 1746 viewsChurchman

I agree with this. It’s interesting how Skuse polarised opinions. My view of him was:

On the positive side, he was a good club man and played a lot of games. He could read the game well and was pretty good at intercepting the ball. He was also always gave one hundred percent. His best position was in front of the back four and he suited how MM wanted to play the game.

On the negative side, I thought his tackling wasn’t great and I saw him bottle out of more than one challenge which drove me nuts. He was poor in the air, not the best passer, not the fastest and his goal record of 2 in 278 appearances speaks for itself. To be fair, I do wonder how much stronger he’d have looked with better players around him.

How MM said he could play in the Premier League was beyond me. I presume he was trying to boost his confidence. For me, mid/lower Championship doing a job in front of the back four was about his level.

I know many people hold a much higher opinion of him than me, but it’s all about opinions and that’s what makes the game fun.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024