Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week 20:51 - Jun 26 with 3321 viewsTrequartista

It seems that the vaccination programme which was initially a success is still getting lauded as a success irrespective of how many jabs are done per week.

The total 1st and 2nd doses given have dropped for five consecutive weeks now at a time where we are desperate for people to get jabbed before they catch the Indian/Delta Variant. Thankfully deaths have stayed low but they've still increased, and almost entirely for non or partially vaccinated people.

From what i gather, because we have chosen not to give the AZ vaccine to under 40s, we are totally dependent on the supply of Pfizer and a few Modernas. Whatever happened to Novavax which completed trials and was put forward for approval around February which we are ready to go with in large numbers domestically? These stories seem to disappear in to the ether.

I think we need to start giving the AZ vaccine to young men under 40 again. It wasn't stopped because the risk was too high, it was stopped because the risk for blood clots in young women was slightly higher than Pfizer, so best to give Pfizer. But if the supply of Pfizer is not strong enough, we are not vaccinating enough people. Indeed if Pfizer didn't exist, we would be giving AZ to everyone.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 21:01 - Jun 26 with 2652 viewsMookamoo

I did a shift at a vaccination centre today. There were more doses of Pfizer than there were arms to put it into. We were getting them to ring friends and get them down to get jabbed. Supply doesn't appear to be the issue, at least not in Suffolk.
Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 21:04 - Jun 26 with 2609 viewsCoastalblue

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 21:01 - Jun 26 by Mookamoo

I did a shift at a vaccination centre today. There were more doses of Pfizer than there were arms to put it into. We were getting them to ring friends and get them down to get jabbed. Supply doesn't appear to be the issue, at least not in Suffolk.

You're right I think, it's just hitting age groups and demographics that are a lot less bothered about it now.

Perhaps a few more headlines about the risks of long covid to the young might help?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 21:24 - Jun 26 with 2520 viewsjeera

Must have been some sort of supply issue with the AZ for a short period as I was getting up to 5 texts a day[!] at one point hassling me to get my 2nd but I wasn't able to travel at the time.

As soon as I could I got in touch and have had to wait for a few weeks for them to get stock.

Now I have booked it for Thursday coming I am getting a zillion texts again as well as a couple of letters!
[Post edited 26 Jun 2021 21:25]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 21:25 - Jun 26 with 2515 viewsSarge

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 21:04 - Jun 26 by Coastalblue

You're right I think, it's just hitting age groups and demographics that are a lot less bothered about it now.

Perhaps a few more headlines about the risks of long covid to the young might help?

1st dose numbers are on the rise, it’s 2nd doses that have dropped sharply so whilst it’s fashionable to shift the blame onto young people, it’s not accurate. Remember these are the same young people who have had their lives put on hold for well over a year exclusively for the benefit of other people, and if travel is opened up to fully vaccinated people, will continue to sit in limbo whilst the people they’ve been protecting swan off on holiday. They’re not prolonging this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55274833
Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 21:47 - Jun 26 with 2423 viewsMookamoo

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 21:04 - Jun 26 by Coastalblue

The sooner they can get some proper walk-in centres working the more 18-25s they'll be able to access. There is a significant percentage that have turned up only because their mums have booked it for them. A lot don't appear to have that parental support or the wherewithal to sort out the booking for themselves. They'll manage the walk-ins.

There was also a fair few turning up wanting their second dose of AZ - mainly because they want to book a holiday. The issue where we are is it is all Pfizer now. The part of the NHS who was responsible for AZ have now all packed up and moved on. Those that missed or deferred their second AZ jabs are a bit stuck.
Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 21:55 - Jun 26 with 2375 viewsTrequartista

Interesting, thanks.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 22:19 - Jun 26 with 2292 viewsSuperTommySmith

Things do seem to be stalling in the UK. I moved to Canada 2 years ago and was envious of how quickly 1st doses were being administered during the first 3 months of the year whilst Canada sat around doing nothing due to supply issues.
Few months later and we're killing it. From May 24th to June 24th the UK has had an 8.5% increase in 1st doses (total 65.8%) and 13.2% in second doses (48.1% in total). In that same time Canada has had a 15.1% increase in 1st doses (67.5% in total) and 19% increase in 2nd doses (23.4% in total). All according to the tracker on google.

Seems wild to me that home is opening up as it has done with the 4th wave in full swing. I fully expect to Canada to overtake the UK in a month or two and then open up.
Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 22:28 - Jun 26 with 2257 viewsPinewoodblue

Interesting interactive link which enables you to explore vaccine take up by local authority.
https://covid.joinzoe.com/data

What it doesn't take into account is difference in ages . Ipswich, Cambridge and Norwich have the lowest take up in their respective Counties but suspect this is due to age of residents. Younger average age in main Towns/Cities

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 22:52 - Jun 26 with 2165 viewsFreddy

84 % of England have had 1st dose and 62% their 2nd dose so way ahead of the rest of the world
Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 23:38 - Jun 26 with 2077 viewsTractorWood

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 22:28 - Jun 26 by Pinewoodblue

Interesting interactive link which enables you to explore vaccine take up by local authority.
https://covid.joinzoe.com/data

What it doesn't take into account is difference in ages . Ipswich, Cambridge and Norwich have the lowest take up in their respective Counties but suspect this is due to age of residents. Younger average age in main Towns/Cities

Norwich has a younger population. A mate with the same birthday as me has his first jab in early July. I've been double jabbed for 2 weeks. Both early 30s.

It's natural that vaccine numbers are going down. Something like 80%+ of adults have had one now. When you account for people who have one booked for the next 2 weeks, people who will flat out refuse and pregnant/people with healthcare issues - it will start to plateau.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 23:50 - Jun 26 with 2055 viewsRyorry

Leaving aside the issue for young under 40 males that you highlight, wasn't it always going to be inevitable that the numbers would drop off as the programme progressed, simply due to the laws of mathematics & natural behaviour?

Ie the more you vaccinate, the fewer there are left to vaccinate, and those "fewer" are going to be the increasingly resistant ones, not least because they may see the job as increasingly having been done by the older, middle-aged or more vulnerable, who were desperate to get the shots in their arms.

Not that it isn't important to get everyone vaccinated, I hasten to add.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 23:54 - Jun 26 with 2055 viewsBlueBadger

84% of the over 18 population of the country have received a first dose, and 61% the second. Not entirely surprising it's slowing up a bit now as it's all about chasing up the hard-to-reach groups.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 00:08 - Jun 27 with 2035 viewsKropotkin123

I was given AZ last week and one to two months prior. I'm male and under 40. I don't think we ever stopped giving AZ to males under 40, rather it was preferred to give an alternative.

That or I'm an anomaly.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 05:51 - Jun 27 with 1889 viewspowinswitch

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 23:54 - Jun 26 by BlueBadger

84% of the over 18 population of the country have received a first dose, and 61% the second. Not entirely surprising it's slowing up a bit now as it's all about chasing up the hard-to-reach groups.

Why are they hard to reach. Or do you mean reluctant, or unable to have a vaccine.
Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 09:10 - Jun 27 with 1669 viewsEly_Blue

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 05:51 - Jun 27 by powinswitch

Why are they hard to reach. Or do you mean reluctant, or unable to have a vaccine.

I do wonder how many of the 18-25group for example are not registered with a GP for example or were registered when they lived at home with mum and dad? That could also be something that prohibits that age range, hence why there needs to be more publicity around walk in vaccination centres and pharmacies who are giving vaccines too

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 09:46 - Jun 27 with 1594 viewsbluelagos

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 05:51 - Jun 27 by powinswitch

Ĺots of issues at play here, including vaccine hesitancy and anti-vaccers.

But the young will be harder to reach absolutely. They are more transient (students at Uni) and will be way less likley to be registered with GPs too. Then they will be busier than OAPs and of course less vulnerable.

So the OAPs who are more vulnerable, less busy and less likely to be away from home, are a whole lot more likely to be vaccine enthusiastic than the young.

*lots of generalisations which of course dont relate to all young/old. But on average, I think fair ones.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 10:27 - Jun 27 with 1515 viewsWeWereZombies

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 21:25 - Jun 26 by Sarge

1st dose numbers are on the rise, it’s 2nd doses that have dropped sharply so whilst it’s fashionable to shift the blame onto young people, it’s not accurate. Remember these are the same young people who have had their lives put on hold for well over a year exclusively for the benefit of other people, and if travel is opened up to fully vaccinated people, will continue to sit in limbo whilst the people they’ve been protecting swan off on holiday. They’re not prolonging this.

' young people who have had their lives put on hold for well over a year exclusively for the benefit of other people'?

I'm sixty six and there is someone I have not seen since February last year (although we message, video call and email most days) - our lives are on hold too...and we may have fewer years than you to live out the normal times (or the new normal times) when they return. I hesitate to say that we are all in this together but I don't think this coronavirus and the geopolitics around it were formulated specifically to target the young.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 10:33 - Jun 27 with 1501 viewsWeWereZombies

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 22:52 - Jun 26 by Freddy

84 % of England have had 1st dose and 62% their 2nd dose so way ahead of the rest of the world

Not quite but we are ahead of most (and behind a few, and who that is depends on whether you go with first dose or both, and whether you go linear or logarithmic):

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 10:36 - Jun 27 with 1485 viewssolemio

Yes, it's disgraceful, these old folk going on breathing.
Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 10:46 - Jun 27 with 1455 viewsMookamoo

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 10:27 - Jun 27 by WeWereZombies

' young people who have had their lives put on hold for well over a year exclusively for the benefit of other people'?

I'm sixty six and there is someone I have not seen since February last year (although we message, video call and email most days) - our lives are on hold too...and we may have fewer years than you to live out the normal times (or the new normal times) when they return. I hesitate to say that we are all in this together but I don't think this coronavirus and the geopolitics around it were formulated specifically to target the young.

There has been a huge effort and compliance from the young - just to keep the older generations and the vulnerable safe. Yes we're all in together, but they could have chosen not to be.

What we need now if to give them access to a vaccine in a way that works for them. The current system where you have book isn't working. It currently allows you to book the first jab, but in many cases can't offer a location/time for the second, so not understanding how the website works, many are then inadvertently cancelling their first jabs. This means they don't get the reminders and they end up missing the time slot. As soon as walk-in centres are available, the rates will start to rise again.
Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 11:44 - Jun 27 with 1393 viewsPinewoodblue

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 10:46 - Jun 27 by Mookamoo

There has been a huge effort and compliance from the young - just to keep the older generations and the vulnerable safe. Yes we're all in together, but they could have chosen not to be.

What we need now if to give them access to a vaccine in a way that works for them. The current system where you have book isn't working. It currently allows you to book the first jab, but in many cases can't offer a location/time for the second, so not understanding how the website works, many are then inadvertently cancelling their first jabs. This means they don't get the reminders and they end up missing the time slot. As soon as walk-in centres are available, the rates will start to rise again.

Are you suggesting the young lack the computer literacy of their elders? Seems a bit far fetched.

2023 year of destiny

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 11:54 - Jun 27 with 1365 viewsRyorry

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 11:44 - Jun 27 by Pinewoodblue

Are you suggesting the young lack the computer literacy of their elders? Seems a bit far fetched.

Thanks, was going to make the same point!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 12:07 - Jun 27 with 1349 viewsMookamoo

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 11:44 - Jun 27 by Pinewoodblue

Given the computer literacy of 18-25 year olds, it is worrying that we had about 25 turn up yesterday thinking they had successfully booked an appointment, only to find they were not on the system. If that age group can't work it out, the current booking process is critically flawed.
Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 13:14 - Jun 27 with 1298 viewsPinewoodblue

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 12:07 - Jun 27 by Mookamoo

Given the computer literacy of 18-25 year olds, it is worrying that we had about 25 turn up yesterday thinking they had successfully booked an appointment, only to find they were not on the system. If that age group can't work it out, the current booking process is critically flawed.

There is currently no vaccine against stupid which from your comment seems more common amongst the younger generation.

The booking system isn’t flawed.

2023 year of destiny

Vaccination numbers decreasing week by week on 13:19 - Jun 27 with 1278 viewsSaigonTractor

I don't know if 25 counts as "young people" but I've been desperate to get my 2nd dose as soon as possible, as are most people I know my age.

Obviously that's anecdotal evidence, but if the minimum wait dropped from 8 weeks I'm certain we'd see a spike in 2nd dose uptake.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2021 13:21]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024