Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yay. Stuff XR, join AR 14:04 - May 22 with 4777 viewslightuser

Feck protesting at airports and banks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57210428

But what do you think?

Bunch of morons/about time/there must be a better way etc?
[Post edited 22 May 2021 14:10]
Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:07 - May 22 with 2893 viewsSpruceMoose

Link is broken!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:09 - May 22 with 2899 viewsGeoffSentence

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:07 - May 22 by SpruceMoose

Link is broken!

Looks like the capital H screwed it up

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:12 - May 22 with 2880 viewslightuser

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:09 - May 22 by GeoffSentence

Looks like the capital H screwed it up

Thanks. Fixed (my first one)!!
Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:17 - May 22 with 2868 viewsbluelagos

Quite simply, if anyone who objects to these guys taking direct action to try and bring about much needed change with respect to the ongoing destruction of our planet, if they have an alternative method of bringing about change, am all ears.

In the absence of a credible alternative, am grateful to these guys/protestors for everything they do and applaud them without hesitation.

I think history will recognise the exceptional change in attitude / policy they are helping bring around, in a similar way to how the suffragettes are now held in high esteem. Many people slated them at the time yet history proved them right.

Sometimes there are more important causes and stepping outside of the law is fully justified. I won't be condemning them.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:22 - May 22 with 2835 viewsJ2BLUE

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:17 - May 22 by bluelagos

Quite simply, if anyone who objects to these guys taking direct action to try and bring about much needed change with respect to the ongoing destruction of our planet, if they have an alternative method of bringing about change, am all ears.

In the absence of a credible alternative, am grateful to these guys/protestors for everything they do and applaud them without hesitation.

I think history will recognise the exceptional change in attitude / policy they are helping bring around, in a similar way to how the suffragettes are now held in high esteem. Many people slated them at the time yet history proved them right.

Sometimes there are more important causes and stepping outside of the law is fully justified. I won't be condemning them.

How are you getting to your next holiday destination?

I think AR might be doing McDonald's a favour here. They announced a McPlant range a while back which hasn't arrived. I wonder if they will take this opportunistic chance to roll it out. It's very clear that veganism (or very near) is the future. Burger King are doing a reasonable job of beginning the transition. If McDonald's could move first and roll out genuinely good plant based stuff it will only be good for them in the future.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:29 - May 22 with 2806 viewsbluelagos

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:22 - May 22 by J2BLUE

How are you getting to your next holiday destination?

I think AR might be doing McDonald's a favour here. They announced a McPlant range a while back which hasn't arrived. I wonder if they will take this opportunistic chance to roll it out. It's very clear that veganism (or very near) is the future. Burger King are doing a reasonable job of beginning the transition. If McDonald's could move first and roll out genuinely good plant based stuff it will only be good for them in the future.

Motorbike and tunnel, same as my last holiday. Actually looks like it will be motorbike and no tunnel given quarantine etc.

Your point is valid though and highlights why we need to get firmer on discouraging/limiting leisure travel, particularly the weekenders we all love. Have said before I reckon we should have an increasing tax on flights - £100 first one, then £1000 then £10k...

Leave it up to individuals and we end up with what we have now - far too many flights etc. But legislate and we all have to adapt, whether we are happy to or not.

Back on topic, if by their actions the protestors highlight and speed up the veganisation of fast food (is that a word?) then all's good. Don't see your scenario as a bad thing.

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:35 - May 22 with 2789 viewsJ2BLUE

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:29 - May 22 by bluelagos

Motorbike and tunnel, same as my last holiday. Actually looks like it will be motorbike and no tunnel given quarantine etc.

Your point is valid though and highlights why we need to get firmer on discouraging/limiting leisure travel, particularly the weekenders we all love. Have said before I reckon we should have an increasing tax on flights - £100 first one, then £1000 then £10k...

Leave it up to individuals and we end up with what we have now - far too many flights etc. But legislate and we all have to adapt, whether we are happy to or not.

Back on topic, if by their actions the protestors highlight and speed up the veganisation of fast food (is that a word?) then all's good. Don't see your scenario as a bad thing.

It certainly isn't a bad thing. Didn't mean it to come across as if it is. The water, carbon emissions and other savings just on one vegan meal are amazing.

Good stuff about your holiday. I'd feel slightly irked to suddenly be hit with a massive tax though as someone who hasn't stepped foot on a plane for over a decade. When I worked in a bureau de change there were people flying backwards and forwards every couple of weeks to holiday homes etc. I know it's emergency times etc but I think your scale is pretty extreme. Although, I guess, like you say, there's the tunnel.

Truly impaired.

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:46 - May 22 with 2754 viewschicoazul

Activism is a noble British tradition and should be encouraged. To each his own cause.
I’ll be impressed with XR when they show up in China and protest there, though.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:47 - May 22 with 2762 viewsbluelagos

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:35 - May 22 by J2BLUE

It certainly isn't a bad thing. Didn't mean it to come across as if it is. The water, carbon emissions and other savings just on one vegan meal are amazing.

Good stuff about your holiday. I'd feel slightly irked to suddenly be hit with a massive tax though as someone who hasn't stepped foot on a plane for over a decade. When I worked in a bureau de change there were people flying backwards and forwards every couple of weeks to holiday homes etc. I know it's emergency times etc but I think your scale is pretty extreme. Although, I guess, like you say, there's the tunnel.

We can argue about the numbers, but the point being we should be looking to discourage needless flights. Need a shift of thinking away from the lads trip to Prague or the second home in the Dordogne, nice as they both are.

Be interesting to know how much of a difference reducing your meat intake by say 50% compared to reducing your leisure flights by 50% would make? Of course doing both by 100% would be better but starting with achievable steps is more sensible for most of us.

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:48 - May 22 with 2758 viewsbluelagos

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:46 - May 22 by chicoazul

Activism is a noble British tradition and should be encouraged. To each his own cause.

Given the impact of the flights, expect they'll hope local activists will address that one. Plenty of environmental activism outside the UK as am sure you are aware.

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:52 - May 22 with 2748 viewsbluelagos

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:17 - May 22 by bluelagos

Kin hell - all those uppies were a tad unexpected.

When XR started out - I got roundly slated on here for posting very similar arguments. Not having a dig at anyone, but guess it shows just how much XR really are challenging people's established views and ultimately changing attitudes.

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:54 - May 22 with 2744 viewsDanTheMan

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:46 - May 22 by chicoazul

BuT cHiNa.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 15:02 - May 22 with 2731 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:52 - May 22 by bluelagos

When XR started out - I got roundly slated on here for posting very similar arguments. Not having a dig at anyone, but guess it shows just how much XR really are challenging people's established views and ultimately changing attitudes.

As one of those people (though I’m sure I wouldnt have skated you personally BL), I still personally have plenty of issues with the way XR go about things at times.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 15:23 - May 22 with 2694 viewslightuser

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:47 - May 22 by bluelagos

We can argue about the numbers, but the point being we should be looking to discourage needless flights. Need a shift of thinking away from the lads trip to Prague or the second home in the Dordogne, nice as they both are.

Be interesting to know how much of a difference reducing your meat intake by say 50% compared to reducing your leisure flights by 50% would make? Of course doing both by 100% would be better but starting with achievable steps is more sensible for most of us.

Not looking good for the future of flying, although luckily whilst eveybody eats, not many fly still.

https://flightfree.co.uk/post/the-footprint-of-flying

Note that the Bangkok return flight used for comparson is a 22-24 hour trip in total.
Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 15:37 - May 22 with 2660 viewsJ2BLUE

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:52 - May 22 by bluelagos

Wit respect mate, wasn't that because you were either in, heading to or just coming back from Peru? I wasn't against their actions in principle but I did feel very sorry for people who were off to see family over Christmas (IIRC) and had flights cancelled.

Truly impaired.

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 16:57 - May 22 with 2595 viewschicoazul

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 14:54 - May 22 by DanTheMan

BuT cHiNa.

It’s a perfectly reasonable point I’m afraid. China being one of if not the worlds largest polluter and continuing to build enormous coal fired power stations. I like to remind people of that, and emphasise how pointless XRs recent protests and activism in this country have been and are, considering what a small pointless country we are and what a tiny relative polluter we are.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 17:13 - May 22 with 2561 viewsSaigonTractor

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 16:57 - May 22 by chicoazul

It’s a perfectly reasonable point I’m afraid. China being one of if not the worlds largest polluter and continuing to build enormous coal fired power stations. I like to remind people of that, and emphasise how pointless XRs recent protests and activism in this country have been and are, considering what a small pointless country we are and what a tiny relative polluter we are.

But realistically what can an average British citizen do about China? We only really have power to change what happens in our own countries.

That's why it's pointless when people start deflecting by saying "but China is also bad". There's not really much we can do about it outside of pressuring our own government to work with countries like China to end their reliance on fossil fuels.
Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 17:19 - May 22 with 2533 viewschicoazul

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 17:13 - May 22 by SaigonTractor

But realistically what can an average British citizen do about China? We only really have power to change what happens in our own countries.

That's why it's pointless when people start deflecting by saying "but China is also bad". There's not really much we can do about it outside of pressuring our own government to work with countries like China to end their reliance on fossil fuels.

It’s not “deflecting”, this is such a lazy way to make an argument. People love to say deflecting or whatabouttery when they hear an argument they don’t like. The whole point is, there is nothing any of us can do about China and therefore at a larger level, about the enormous pollution they are responsible for. And so it’s also pointless for hypocritical Marxist middle class yoghurt knitters - of whom XR almost universally are - to sit on trains or in the middle of the road preventing people going about their days given what a tiny and insignificant country we are.

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 17:23 - May 22 with 2522 viewsSaigonTractor

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 17:19 - May 22 by chicoazul

It’s not “deflecting”, this is such a lazy way to make an argument. People love to say deflecting or whatabouttery when they hear an argument they don’t like. The whole point is, there is nothing any of us can do about China and therefore at a larger level, about the enormous pollution they are responsible for. And so it’s also pointless for hypocritical Marxist middle class yoghurt knitters - of whom XR almost universally are - to sit on trains or in the middle of the road preventing people going about their days given what a tiny and insignificant country we are.

So they should just do nothing and accept that we're all doomed because it's more convenient for people than delaying a train or two?
Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 17:26 - May 22 with 2508 viewschicoazul

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 17:23 - May 22 by SaigonTractor

So they should just do nothing and accept that we're all doomed because it's more convenient for people than delaying a train or two?

Definitely not. People should protest about whatever they want whenever they want. It’s a sacred English tradition. I just think it’s pointless.

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 17:47 - May 22 with 2474 viewsWeWereZombies

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 16:57 - May 22 by chicoazul

Two things.

Firstly, don't spout like the United Kingdom is the only place in the World where environmental activism happens. A great deal more is going on elsewhere and people's commitment to it goes as far as laying down their lives:

https://www.dw.com/en/5-deadly-countries-for-environmental-defenders/a-54298499

Secondly, we are not a small pointless country (a union of four significant countries actually), only the United States creates more food waste than the United Kingdom:

https://www.unep.org/thinkeatsave/get-informed/worldwide-food-waste

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 17:56 - May 22 with 2449 viewsSpruceMoose

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 17:47 - May 22 by WeWereZombies

Two things.

Firstly, don't spout like the United Kingdom is the only place in the World where environmental activism happens. A great deal more is going on elsewhere and people's commitment to it goes as far as laying down their lives:

Secondly, we are not a small pointless country (a union of four significant countries actually), only the United States creates more food waste than the United Kingdom:

Oh lord. Forum Morrissey isn't doing his 'but china' thing again is he?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 18:00 - May 22 with 2432 viewsWeWereZombies

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 17:56 - May 22 by SpruceMoose

Oh lord. Forum Morrissey isn't doing his 'but china' thing again is he?

Ahem - Morrissey had some decent performances in his early years...

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 18:20 - May 22 with 2408 viewschicoazul

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 17:47 - May 22 by WeWereZombies

Two things.

Two things.

I didn’t “spout” that at all thanks. This is a classic case of wishing something was there that isn’t.

And I think you have seriously misunderstood or misread that link you have given, unless you do indeed believe the UK wastes more food than China?

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 18:26 - May 22 with 2402 viewsWeWereZombies

Yay. Stuff XR, join AR on 18:20 - May 22 by chicoazul

Two things.

I didn’t “spout” that at all thanks. This is a classic case of wishing something was there that isn’t.

And I think you have seriously misunderstood or misread that link you have given, unless you do indeed believe the UK wastes more food than China?

Read your posts back, aloud if necessary. Yours are classic 'do nothing' arguments. Very spouty.

And the link has China down as wasting one tenth of its food and the United Kingdom as wasting one third. We do worse per capita but the volume is greater in China because there are a lot more Chinese.

And, yes, I have been beach cleaning today and am in a bit of a fecked off mood.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024