Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester 07:18 - May 13 with 10211 viewsGlasgowBlue

If they are not sold, although I believe they will be, then how are they ever going to give 100% for Paul Cook knowing that he doesn’t really want them?

Staggered that any of the above players are on his list of unwanted. They should be the future of our club. And what message does it send out to the likes of Baggott and any other promising youths in the under 18’s.

Clear out the the deadwood and the under performers but please don’t rip the heart out if the club.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 10:27 - May 13 with 908 viewsHerbivore

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 10:26 - May 13 by Wallingford_Boy

Congrats you are off "ignore" as I have missed posts like these!

Classic herbie!!

Are you aware what the concept "Pathway" means?! Its mean a route into the first team from the U18s, via the U23s.... not drop the youths straight into the first team at 16/17 and expect them to start 10 games!!

I've missed you.

I haven't missed you. Stick me back on ignore.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 10:28 - May 13 with 897 viewsN2_Blue

Downes - Doubt he wants to be here - will get a move
Dozzell - Has been poor, not good enough IMO and not bothered if we move on from him
Dobra - I think he will stay and get a chance
Woolfenden - Pretty average last year, but needs a leader alongside. Hope he gets a chance but not going to cry if he moves on
Lankester - Exceptionally disappointing last season. Not sure we can carry players next season. Shame how its gone but if we bring in a better player then happy to move him on

All those bleating on about what Cook may do regarding these players - Some of these have had 2 years in L1 and not shown a huge amount...especially in the last few months. The squad, culture and attitude was rotten. we need a reset, unfortunately it means some casualties and maybe losing some young players that could have done and could do better, but we are where we are and have to start again...that's just how it is. Disappointing but we need to be relaistic and put sentiment aside!
[Post edited 13 May 2021 10:37]

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 10:28 - May 13 with 896 viewsITFCBlues

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 10:25 - May 13 by Herbivore

I refer you back to my previous posts.

Likewise, points which you've really not provided any proper arguement or evidence to back up what you've said other than sentimental feelings!

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 10:28 - May 13 with 888 viewsjudespiveyg

Cook's a clown, we undeniably got worse after he came in, and now he wants to sell our best players.

Downes wanted to leave last summer and is better than League One so I wouldn't be annoyed to see him leave. And as much as I love Dozzell he's a player who would be better with a better team around him who actually make the right runs, so I think I could accept him going on to better things, even if I'd love him to stay.

Ball playing centre-halves are worth an absolute fortune these days, Woolfenden was great in 19/20 and if we got one good Championship season out of him you're looking at 10-15 million. To sell him now would be stupid. Same with Dobra, how can you even think about selling our best prospect before he's even been given a proper chance? Same with Lankester, people are actually surprised that he wasn't quite back up to speed after coming off back surgery.

Imagine wanting to sell these players but extending Aaron Drinan. What a clown.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 10:32]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 10:29 - May 13 with 862 viewsWallingford_Boy

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 10:27 - May 13 by Herbivore

I haven't missed you. Stick me back on ignore.

Great counter argument.... as always.

(Don't forget you little downvote) xx

RIP Sir Bobby

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 10:39 - May 13 with 812 viewsHerbivore

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 10:27 - May 13 by SaigonTractor

So the worst period in the club's history is somehow only down to the players we sign, and not the players that came up through the academy?

They have ALL underperformed and kept us in League One, both the signed players and the youth players.

That's the concept of a team. The team has played poorly, and that unfortunately includes the academy players (Downes excluded, but he wants to leave anyway. And I don't blame him)

Woolfenden was very good last season. This season he's struggled being paired with a complete novice, which is kind of understandable. This has been Dozzell's first season starting regularly and he, along with Bishop, has been hit and miss, but again they've often been paired together in roles that arguably neither are ideally suited to. They've hardly stood out as being particularly poor and both have shown, this season and in the past, that they have ability. Same goes for Dobra.

I'd rather hoped Cook, if he is the manager we all hope he is, would be able to bring out the best in these players and get them performing. Sadly he doesn't fancy himself as being up to the task it seems.

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 10:40 - May 13 with 808 viewsHerbivore

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 10:28 - May 13 by ITFCBlues

Likewise, points which you've really not provided any proper arguement or evidence to back up what you've said other than sentimental feelings!

Yeah, I'm not sure reading and comprehension are for you.

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 10:46 - May 13 with 776 viewsSaigonTractor

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 10:39 - May 13 by Herbivore

Woolfenden was very good last season. This season he's struggled being paired with a complete novice, which is kind of understandable. This has been Dozzell's first season starting regularly and he, along with Bishop, has been hit and miss, but again they've often been paired together in roles that arguably neither are ideally suited to. They've hardly stood out as being particularly poor and both have shown, this season and in the past, that they have ability. Same goes for Dobra.

I'd rather hoped Cook, if he is the manager we all hope he is, would be able to bring out the best in these players and get them performing. Sadly he doesn't fancy himself as being up to the task it seems.

I think you're rating these players based on how you want them to perform, rather than how they've actually performed.

We can't keep giving them the benefit of the doubt just because they came through the academy.
Login to get fewer ads

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 11:06 - May 13 with 737 viewsHerbivore

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 10:46 - May 13 by SaigonTractor

I think you're rating these players based on how you want them to perform, rather than how they've actually performed.

We can't keep giving them the benefit of the doubt just because they came through the academy.

I'm rating them on having actually watched them as it goes, thanks for the pat on the head though.

Dobra and Lankester have played a handful of games. Downes and Woolf, prior to this season, have performed well for us and it's interesting that you and others continue to ignore all and any context related to this season and the players' performance. Dozzer and Bishop have also shown ability in the past and even at times during this turbulent season. For Dozzell, this is his first season as a regular starter and he's often had to play as the lone pivot at the base of the midfield and that's a very tough role for any player let alone someone with so little experience.

Let's leave it there as you're not going to convince me purging the youngsters is a good idea and I'm not going to convince you that it's a bad idea. I hope your absolute faith in Cook isn't misplaced and in a year's time we're not still marooned in League 1 whilst these youngsters have been enjoying themselves in the Championship.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 11:29]

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 11:07 - May 13 with 731 viewsdirtyboy

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 10:46 - May 13 by SaigonTractor

As much as I like the aforementioned players, after sitting back, being considered, I think you're right.

Too much 'past tense' moments come to mind when thinking about them, save for Dobra.
Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 11:16 - May 13 with 704 viewshaynes_toe1

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:42 - May 13 by Herbivore

This strikes me as being utterly mental. Binning off all of the talented youngsters currently in the squad because he couldn't immediately get a tune out of them? Rather looks like throwing the baby out with the bath water. I can see this window ending up being one we regret if we hold a fire sale of the likes of Downes, Dozzer, Woolf, and Bishop. All of them have the potential to play at a higher level than this and if Cook genuinely thinks he can't realise that potential then that's a worry for me.

Whilst you spend most of the time calling me a budgie, I agree with all of this, and only re-affirms the concerns I've had since early into Cook's tenure. I'd be really disappointed to lose the likes of Downes, Dozzell and Woolf.

It's also worth noting that we've not had the best season, and along with Covid we're unlikely to get the best fee's possible for these players. I also don't think we'd be able to sign better whilst in League One, although happy to be proven wrong.
Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 11:28 - May 13 with 676 viewsHerbivore

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 11:16 - May 13 by haynes_toe1

Whilst you spend most of the time calling me a budgie, I agree with all of this, and only re-affirms the concerns I've had since early into Cook's tenure. I'd be really disappointed to lose the likes of Downes, Dozzell and Woolf.

It's also worth noting that we've not had the best season, and along with Covid we're unlikely to get the best fee's possible for these players. I also don't think we'd be able to sign better whilst in League One, although happy to be proven wrong.

You are a budgie.

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 11:30 - May 13 with 666 viewspointofblue

I thought Cook would back himself to get a tune out of Woolfenden, Downes, Dozzell and Dobra. Bishop and Lankester I understand more.

Long summer to go but this does ring alarm bells akin to Keane and Hurst.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 11:41 - May 13 with 648 viewsmonty_radio

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 09:05 - May 13 by itfcjoe

I was just posting elsewhere about recruitment....I just can't see the recruitment being of a sufficient standard to excite the fans, by virtue of being a L1 club. When Keane did it and we could sign PL players for 7 figure fees was a bit different.

Ultimately signing McAleney, Dale, Connolly, Evans, etcisn't going to get the pulses racing - and just so little margin for error - especially when the wider fan base returns

It's not about each individual name though, is it? At our level, if we forked out £500k, it would likely bring in a name that would still be unknown to most of our fans. At this point it's more like needing to build the sort of team that McGarry built, one with no major stars that won the league against such as QPR with Rodney Marsh.

I too would object to ripping up thre-quarters of a team, if we had one. But the chore of slumping down before i-Follow week after week has thrown up no indispensibles or signs of a commitment that might have prevented me from, on occasion, wandering around the house for some non-urgent thing in order to relieve the tedium.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 11:49]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 11:50 - May 13 with 626 viewsgordon

Completely agree with this, feels utterly pointless when about 4/5 top quality additions (LB, CB, CF and 1 or 2 attacking midfielders) and sorting the fitness situation would make us the team to beat in the division.

Feels to me like Cook has a seriously bruised ego about the mess he made of the end of the season.
Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 11:59 - May 13 with 607 viewsstantheman

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 10:09 - May 13 by Herbivore

Did you bother to read the whole of the post you were responding to?

Most probably responded to the wrong one tbf. Call it old age.
Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 12:23 - May 13 with 583 viewsmonty_radio

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 11:50 - May 13 by gordon

Completely agree with this, feels utterly pointless when about 4/5 top quality additions (LB, CB, CF and 1 or 2 attacking midfielders) and sorting the fitness situation would make us the team to beat in the division.

Feels to me like Cook has a seriously bruised ego about the mess he made of the end of the season.

Your posts are always reasoned and thoughtful, but I'm guessing you may not have read the man quite right there. Anger might well play a part, though, as a boss, that's subject to the law of diminishing returns.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 12:23]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024