Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Snooker 15:59 - May 2 with 3395 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Not seen much comment on here over the last 2 weeks, looks like we'll teed up final so far during the 1st session, no one else been watching?
[Post edited 2 May 2021 16:02]

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Snooker on 09:21 - May 3 with 1579 viewsStokieBlue

Snooker on 09:07 - May 3 by Chrisd

Of course we won’t, but it’s a forum SB difference of opinion is the norm. Others have to find a way to counter Selby’s approach. Like us playing against more direct sides in L1. Don’t moan about it that they play the long ball and are direct in their style, try to find a way to stifle their play.

I will, hope you do too. Hopefully, Murphy will find some of his spark from his semi final.

Slight difference though that Selby was actually warned by the referee in the semi-finals for his gamesmanship against Bingham.

Yes, agree to disagree.

Enjoy the match.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Snooker on 09:56 - May 3 with 1548 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Snooker on 08:40 - May 3 by Chrisd

That’s a really good comparison Last Baron. I really respect that side of both their games. Having that right mental approach is so crucial in sport, more so than ability in my opinion. You might have ability, but if you lack that right mental application it counts for nothing. I wouldn’t choose to watch Selby by choice as there are more flamboyant snooker players out there, but I like how he just never gives up even when the odds are stacked against him. Very similar to Djokovic, which you alluded to, I just admire that, those type of characters just find a way.
[Post edited 3 May 2021 8:42]

I will always believe that had Murray lost that famous final 20 minute game in the 2013 Wimbledon final, Djokovic would have came back and beaten him. I've never seen any sports writer of broadcaster make this point but when watching it live, to me that game was winner takes all.

When Djokovic went through his marriage issues his form went to pot as his mental strength wasn't there. Success in sport is as much about your mental state as your talent. Which is why many talented footballers have mediocre careers, while players like Matt Holland perform consistently and play 600 games.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Snooker on 11:15 - May 3 with 1519 viewsFunge

Possibly my two least favourite players in the final. Selby is the epitome of percentage snooker, and I've disliked Murphy ever since the Steven Maguire chalk incident...

It's a fairly sad state of affairs that if/when Ronnie ever gets knocked out of the Worlds, the remainder of the Championship loses most of its interest.

Robertson/ Trump are both quite entertaining to watch, but there's so little personality out there.

Back in the day, you had Jimmy/ Tony Drago/ Mike Hallett; all flamboyant and great to watch, James Wattana too. More recently, Poomjaneg rocked up in 2013, he was good value.

Nowadays, if Ronnie's not on the table, there's not really much fun to be had watching.
Snooker on 12:29 - May 3 with 1490 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Snooker on 11:15 - May 3 by Funge

Possibly my two least favourite players in the final. Selby is the epitome of percentage snooker, and I've disliked Murphy ever since the Steven Maguire chalk incident...

It's a fairly sad state of affairs that if/when Ronnie ever gets knocked out of the Worlds, the remainder of the Championship loses most of its interest.

Robertson/ Trump are both quite entertaining to watch, but there's so little personality out there.

Back in the day, you had Jimmy/ Tony Drago/ Mike Hallett; all flamboyant and great to watch, James Wattana too. More recently, Poomjaneg rocked up in 2013, he was good value.

Nowadays, if Ronnie's not on the table, there's not really much fun to be had watching.

Agree, I also enjoy watching Ding Junhui who also is a great guy by all accounts.

I have no love for either Selby or Murphy. The 80s was magnificent, even the players I didn't like such as Steve Davis were characters in their own way. Jimmy White, Alex Higgins, Kirk Stevens, Bill Werbeniuk sinking 15 pints a match (Town fan by the way), Tony Drago, Tony Meo, Ray Reardon smoking a cigarette, Dennis Taylor - all great personalties. Now it's Ronnie, Trump and maybe Robertson. The rest are dullards.

Snooker on 14:08 - May 3 with 1464 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Snooker on 08:22 - May 3 by Romeo4

Free flowing it certainly isn’t but I for one can be entertained by the hard, tactical side of the game that Selby excels at.

Definitely a clash of styles but certainly not anti-snooker. Selby just got on top of Murphy and suffocated his natural game. Can’t blame him for doing that as there’s a world title up for grabs and it’s proving effective.

Absolutely! The game is called snooker.

Selby has to play his game and he's the best exponent of it. He has a way to nulify his opponents when he needs too and it's up to the other players to figure out a way to do the same to him.

Snooker is as much a tactical game as it is about potting, that's why the call it chess on baizw.... Patrick Kielty once said the break building is a love affair but the safety battle is your mistress.

I'd hate to see that side of the game disappear.

Just hope it goes long and don't mind at all who wins

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Snooker on 14:13 - May 3 with 1463 viewsSwansea_Blue

One advantage of watching our season is that snooker now comes across as really exciting and action packed!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Snooker on 14:39 - May 3 with 1457 viewsRomeo4

Early impressions from this afternoon arevthat Murphy seems to have his mojo back. He’s got his long-range potting radar working again. Selby looks a bit edgy. This could be a really tight match.
Snooker on 15:13 - May 3 with 1446 viewsAce_High1

Snooker on 11:15 - May 3 by Funge

Same watched loads of snooker the last 12 months as there has been a tournament on every week on Eurosport.

However that is aloofly as Ronnie has played well this year and made it to 5 finals.

Ronnie is worth watching.
Login to get fewer ads

Snooker on 16:15 - May 3 with 1432 viewsjas0999

Snooker on 09:01 - May 3 by StokieBlue

Indeed you could classify it as such but it was due to the fact that Selby always tries to slow him down and take ages on easy shots to get him out of his rhythm.

For Selby it's his actual default method of play, for O'Sullivan it was out of frustration and is the rare occurrence rather than the default.

We won't agree on this, Selby for me is anti-snooker. Bingham was damning in his comments after the semi-final against Selby.

Enjoy the rest of the final.

SB

A lot of the summarisers have been critical of Selbys deliberately slow style on BBC and Eurosport all the way through the tournament.
Snooker on 22:17 - May 3 with 1380 viewsChrisd

A terrific final session and well played both players. Murphy was on the charge at the end, ballsy shot with the rest by Murphy.....just a pity it caught the cushion too early. A great contest nonetheless. 👏

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Snooker on 22:27 - May 3 with 1372 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Snooker on 22:17 - May 3 by Chrisd

A terrific final session and well played both players. Murphy was on the charge at the end, ballsy shot with the rest by Murphy.....just a pity it caught the cushion too early. A great contest nonetheless. 👏

Agree, great evening of snooker. Murphy could have limped to a comfortable defeat but with nothing to lose he played some good stuff.

Selby isn't for me but you have to say he is a great player, probably in the top six in history.

Snooker on 22:34 - May 3 with 1359 viewsChrisd

Snooker on 22:27 - May 3 by The_Last_Baron

Agree, great evening of snooker. Murphy could have limped to a comfortable defeat but with nothing to lose he played some good stuff.

Selby isn't for me but you have to say he is a great player, probably in the top six in history.

I can certainly appreciate why he’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but when you listen to the greats of the game saying how good his all round game is, they certainly know what makes a top quality player. His multiple world titles speak for themselves too. Thought both Selby and Murphy spoke really well afterwards too, think snooker is the winner tonight though.

Snooker on 22:38 - May 3 with 1340 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Snooker on 22:34 - May 3 by Chrisd

I can certainly appreciate why he’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but when you listen to the greats of the game saying how good his all round game is, they certainly know what makes a top quality player. His multiple world titles speak for themselves too. Thought both Selby and Murphy spoke really well afterwards too, think snooker is the winner tonight though.

At the moment I'd only have Hendry, O'Sullivan, Davis and Jimmy White ahead of Selby.

I know White never won the world title but he is still one of the best ever.

Snooker on 22:38 - May 3 with 1340 viewsRadlett_blue

Snooker on 14:08 - May 3 by BlueandTruesince82

Absolutely! The game is called snooker.

Selby has to play his game and he's the best exponent of it. He has a way to nulify his opponents when he needs too and it's up to the other players to figure out a way to do the same to him.

Snooker is as much a tactical game as it is about potting, that's why the call it chess on baizw.... Patrick Kielty once said the break building is a love affair but the safety battle is your mistress.

I'd hate to see that side of the game disappear.

Just hope it goes long and don't mind at all who wins

Nothing wrong with a player playing a cautious safety game, but I have a huge problem with players like Selby taking a minute plus over a routine safety shot. The more players like him prosper, the fewer people will watch snooker so the prize money will dwindle.
He's not the first player to do this - Ebdon could be worse - but if the authorities or referees don't do something about it, the game will fall away.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Snooker on 22:55 - May 3 with 1314 viewsChrisd

Snooker on 22:38 - May 3 by Radlett_blue

Nothing wrong with a player playing a cautious safety game, but I have a huge problem with players like Selby taking a minute plus over a routine safety shot. The more players like him prosper, the fewer people will watch snooker so the prize money will dwindle.
He's not the first player to do this - Ebdon could be worse - but if the authorities or referees don't do something about it, the game will fall away.

£500,000 for Selby tonight during a pandemic and a raucous capacity crowd, I beg to differ. Having different playing styles is important for the game of snooker to flourish and inspire the next generation. Selby’s style has probably benefitted from watching someone like Steve Davis in his prime, where someone like Ronnie O’Sullivan took inspiration from Jimmy White. I take on board what you are saying and it’s up to the snooker authorities to address that, but in my opinion I’d much prefer a mixture of playing styles, otherwise it’s going to be rather boring and predictable to watch if everyone plays the same that’s what makes the game interesting. As in boxing, styles make fights.

Snooker on 23:32 - May 3 with 1287 viewsStokieBlue

Snooker on 22:55 - May 3 by Chrisd

£500,000 for Selby tonight during a pandemic and a raucous capacity crowd, I beg to differ. Having different playing styles is important for the game of snooker to flourish and inspire the next generation. Selby’s style has probably benefitted from watching someone like Steve Davis in his prime, where someone like Ronnie O’Sullivan took inspiration from Jimmy White. I take on board what you are saying and it’s up to the snooker authorities to address that, but in my opinion I’d much prefer a mixture of playing styles, otherwise it’s going to be rather boring and predictable to watch if everyone plays the same that’s what makes the game interesting. As in boxing, styles make fights.

So what did you think of the 4 minutes of thinking then rolling into the pack the other day? It's not a different style of play, it's deliberate gamesmanship. I can't think of any other players, even Ebdon, who have been warned by referees and it's happened to Selby multiple times over the last few years.

He played well in the final though, Murphy tried to get back but Selby deserved to win. He's a great player which is why the gamesmanship is so annoying, it's just not needed.

All the money in snooker comes from China now, I guess we will see how they like the style, perhaps they love it, I don't know. You're right that different styles is essential and makes matches but for many there is a limit, just ask Bingham.

SB
[Post edited 3 May 2021 23:34]

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Snooker on 11:42 - May 4 with 1184 viewsDinDjarin

Snooker on 18:24 - May 2 by Yallop

Selbys married to an Ipswich girl so it's nice to see him do well

Married to a friend of mines cousin. Their mum who is the best landlady in Suffolk was there and made it into the photos and on TV after the match.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024