Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS 08:43 - Mar 5 with 3286 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Please pay attention to the language when MP pay is discussed too.

Hypocrites that the electorate are far too happy with.

EDIT: Forgot the link. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/1-pay-rise-for-nhs-staff-the-most-the-gove
[Post edited 5 Mar 2021 8:43]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 08:49 - Mar 5 with 1526 viewsElderGrizzly

And as I mentioned below, paying £37bn for Test and Trace

[Post edited 5 Mar 2021 8:50]
"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 08:51 - Mar 5 with 1507 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 08:49 - Mar 5 by ElderGrizzly

And as I mentioned below, paying £37bn for Test and Trace

[Post edited 5 Mar 2021 8:50]

They insisted on outsourcing it to a friend who hadn't a clue about it instead of using the NHS.

Dreadful mismanagement or deliberate corruption?

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 08:53 - Mar 5 with 1486 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 08:51 - Mar 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

They insisted on outsourcing it to a friend who hadn't a clue about it instead of using the NHS.

"Dreadful mismanagement or deliberate corruption?"

Either way not fit for office.

Doubtless someone will point out that they're trying their best.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 08:55 - Mar 5 with 1481 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Would it not have been more palatable to say offer an increase for any NHS staff on the basic tax rate, or perhaps by job role? I can see the argument for a surgeon on £100k, but not those nurses etc on the front line?
"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 08:59 - Mar 5 with 1446 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 08:53 - Mar 5 by You_Bloo_Right

Doing their best and keeping those dreadful Labour lot out.

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:08 - Mar 5 with 1425 views26_Paz

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 08:55 - Mar 5 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Would it not have been more palatable to say offer an increase for any NHS staff on the basic tax rate, or perhaps by job role? I can see the argument for a surgeon on £100k, but not those nurses etc on the front line?

Agree with this. Shouldn’t be one blanket policy across the whole of the NHS. Management and admin etc should be different from clinical. As you’ve said a nurse who’s been dealing with corona should get more percentage wise than say a surgeon.

The Paz Man

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:10 - Mar 5 with 1413 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:08 - Mar 5 by 26_Paz

Agree with this. Shouldn’t be one blanket policy across the whole of the NHS. Management and admin etc should be different from clinical. As you’ve said a nurse who’s been dealing with corona should get more percentage wise than say a surgeon.

And yet you support slashing public spending, selling off libraries and cutting taxes for the richest.

Good of you to want to close the pay gap within the NHS, though.

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:11 - Mar 5 with 1402 viewsKeno

trouble with this "NHS. Management and admin etc should be different from clinical"

is a lot of clinical work couldn't be done without the admin baking it up

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:14 - Mar 5 with 1385 viewsfactual_blue

There is always the money for what a government really wants to do.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:16 - Mar 5 with 1371 viewsDarth_Koont

The inability to challenge the Tories on spending (over 4 or more decades) is probably the biggest thing holding the UK back or at least the root cause of most of our social and economic weaknesses.

I’d put most of that at the door of a predominantly right-wing and self-interested media that sees public services/infrastructure investment as irrelevant. And possibly even diluting their financial and political power over the country.

Pronouns: He/Him

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:17 - Mar 5 with 1372 viewsKeno

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:14 - Mar 5 by factual_blue

There is always the money for what a government really wants to do.

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:18 - Mar 5 with 1365 viewsElderGrizzly

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 08:53 - Mar 5 by You_Bloo_Right

It started off as a £12bn estimate, went to £22bn and now £37bn.

Yet they are about to start laying off staff, reducing the T&T workforce by 30%.

So where is the money going?

Interestingly in New Zealand, their equivalent service cost $6.4m to set up (£3.2m) and it works well. There are ongoing costs, but they're expecting them to be less than $15m per year. We spent over 2400 X what NZ spent, but only has 13 X the population.
"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:18 - Mar 5 with 1364 viewsStokieBlue

Many doctors and surgeons were drafted in to help treat C19 patients, especially as many operations were cancelled.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:25 - Mar 5 with 1321 viewsWeWereZombies

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:11 - Mar 5 by Keno

trouble with this "NHS. Management and admin etc should be different from clinical"

is a lot of clinical work couldn't be done without the admin baking it up

'is a lot of clinical work couldn't be done without the admin baking it up' Surely you are not accusing NHS admin cooking the books? Seems more likely that Westminster are cacking it up...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:25 - Mar 5 with 1318 views26_Paz

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:10 - Mar 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

And yet you support slashing public spending, selling off libraries and cutting taxes for the richest.

Good of you to want to close the pay gap within the NHS, though.

I support selling off libraries because demand for them has fallen off a cliff due to the invention of something called the internet. It’s just common sense.

The Paz Man

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:29 - Mar 5 with 1300 viewsMattinLondon

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:25 - Mar 5 by 26_Paz

I support selling off libraries because demand for them has fallen off a cliff due to the invention of something called the internet. It’s just common sense.

If you have happened to have been in a library within the last couple of years, then you’ll know that they are more than just books.

They are community hubs for adult learning, internet provider for people who can’t afford it as well as a provider for children/baby groups for parents.

If you close down libraries then you’ll also getting down community learning centres as well.

Maybe go on that internet thing and you’ll find this out.
"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:34 - Mar 5 with 1274 viewsDarth_Koont

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:18 - Mar 5 by StokieBlue

Many doctors and surgeons were drafted in to help treat C19 patients, especially as many operations were cancelled.

SB

Indeed. I don’t think there’s really one area of the NHS that hasn’t been a part of handling the epidemic, directly or indirectly.

Pronouns: He/Him

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:47 - Mar 5 with 1236 viewshomer_123

Loads of happy clappers during Covid but who is willing to put their hand in their pocket to properly fund services likes the NHS?

I've said it before, the NHS along with Education and others should be ring fenced from political interference, a national debate needs to be had about how we properly fund these services, how much of our national budget is spent on them and how that money is obtained by government.

As an aside.....those supermarket workers who worked through the pandemic, who's businesses have made substantive profits during the last year.....are they going to see their wages increased?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:51 - Mar 5 with 1229 viewsStokieBlue

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:47 - Mar 5 by homer_123

Loads of happy clappers during Covid but who is willing to put their hand in their pocket to properly fund services likes the NHS?

I've said it before, the NHS along with Education and others should be ring fenced from political interference, a national debate needs to be had about how we properly fund these services, how much of our national budget is spent on them and how that money is obtained by government.

As an aside.....those supermarket workers who worked through the pandemic, who's businesses have made substantive profits during the last year.....are they going to see their wages increased?

I suspect a lot of people would put their hands in their pockets to fund the NHS if that was guaranteed to be the destination of the money.

For instance, a 1% increase to income tax which was ringfenced for the NHS would likely gain a lot of traction in my view.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:52 - Mar 5 with 1219 viewshomer_123

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:51 - Mar 5 by StokieBlue

I suspect a lot of people would put their hands in their pockets to fund the NHS if that was guaranteed to be the destination of the money.

For instance, a 1% increase to income tax which was ringfenced for the NHS would likely gain a lot of traction in my view.

SB

I'd like to think so SB.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:59 - Mar 5 with 1201 viewsBlueBadger

A significant proportion of surgeons have spent the past year working outside of their speciality to meet covid demands on services. Another significant proportion have been working considerably longer hours in an effort to catch up with waiting lists or otherwise meet strained service demands.

Divide and rule has always been the Tory way. We pulled together as one, you can recognise us as one.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2021 10:08]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 10:02 - Mar 5 with 1181 viewsBlueBadger

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 08:51 - Mar 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

Little from column A, little from column B.

If anyone's interested, £37BN is roughly 2x£350M a week,

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 10:04 - Mar 5 with 1172 viewspointofblue

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 10:02 - Mar 5 by BlueBadger

Little from column A, little from column B.

If anyone's interested, £37BN is roughly 2x£350M a week,

At least it explains where some of the magical savings from leaving the EU have gone.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 10:06 - Mar 5 with 1168 viewsnoggin

IMHO, A one off 10% rise for all frontline, including admin and housekeeping, NHS staff would have been a massive morale boost, while they are still fighting Covid. These people are exhausted but turn up day in day out, to help others through this crisis. Yes it would cost money but as said elsewhere, the Government find money for less important things.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 10:07 - Mar 5 with 1158 viewsBlueBadger

"1% is all we can afford" for the NHS on 09:25 - Mar 5 by 26_Paz

My village library, provides internet access for those without internet access, reading and literacy services across all age brackets as well as mental health support groups, plus all sorts of other fun book-related things. And this is just a small village library.

Anyone wanting to deny access to these vital community services is as ignorant as they are stupid.

Doubly so if they're intermittently fond of w@nking on about the need to support people's mental health because they want to go to the pub.

[Post edited 5 Mar 2021 10:17]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024