Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I cannot believe he’s still here??? 12:40 - Feb 18 with 1729 viewsunstableblue

Marcus’ judgement is soooooo way off the mark, isn’t it?

Lambert is just rambling and has lost the plot.

He set up and motivated a team to be 25% the sum of its parts against a weak Northampton side.

Key figures and the media are outpouring despair at the state of the club.

Whilst a few saw some merit in the Posh shape change, and it garnered a goal, it was a ridiculous decision.

Just watching how the form of the loanees dropped of a cliff on Tuesday should almost be reason enough.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it a million times - look at the boards and mgmt structures of Norwich and Brentford - the expertise, local passion, and roles that are needed to guide and assure a clubs strategy!!!

You do not have success with the model we have, you do not select the right managers without scrutiny.

Absolutely ridiculous now. Just hope the delay is all about setting up the new man - and hopefully at least a new CEO
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 12:44]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 12:45 - Feb 18 with 1710 viewsitfcjoe

We won't be changing the structure - we are relying on a new manager to come in and get hold of the club from the bottom to the top

It doesn't take knowledge o strategy to see how badly Lambert is failing here, he and his system/coaching/management/motivaton is making every player worse on a week by week basis - before you even consider how many people he is falling out with

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 12:53 - Feb 18 with 1655 viewsdavblue

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 12:45 - Feb 18 by itfcjoe

We won't be changing the structure - we are relying on a new manager to come in and get hold of the club from the bottom to the top

It doesn't take knowledge o strategy to see how badly Lambert is failing here, he and his system/coaching/management/motivaton is making every player worse on a week by week basis - before you even consider how many people he is falling out with

what else is there to say, everyone has covered this so many times on here and elsewhere.

The club is a shower currently, a manager change isn't going sort everything else.

Everything with the 1st team is just negligent currently.
I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 13:04 - Feb 18 with 1636 viewsunstableblue

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 12:45 - Feb 18 by itfcjoe

absolutely manager change first - Lambert is a frickin mentalist, and cannot coach consistent attacking shape, period, despite excellent resources. The new appointment has to consider the manager AND his assistant and the team. Low quality assistants have been a factor in our recent demise - see Oxford last season.

(Although I have some reservations over Dyer and Butcher - I'd put them as caretakers, just to break the malaise under Lambert, if Marcus hasn't got a replacement lined up - would you Joe???)

BUT, we need a restructure off the pitch. We need a board, we need a CEO, and potentially a Footballing director with much more presence,and a stronger link to the manager. We have a good academy manager, and youth team coaches, lets build on that.

The club culture is wrecked - as Tyrone Mings rightly pointed out:

"I think there were a lot of good people at Ipswich, with the best interests of the club, that aren’t there anymore. Good culture & good people drive success, from top down. Really sad the way the club is atm"

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 13:05 - Feb 18 with 1621 viewsSteve_M

Imagine repeatedly making the wrong footballing judgements and just carrying on regardless.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 13:10 - Feb 18 with 1604 viewsitfcjoe

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 13:04 - Feb 18 by unstableblue

absolutely manager change first - Lambert is a frickin mentalist, and cannot coach consistent attacking shape, period, despite excellent resources. The new appointment has to consider the manager AND his assistant and the team. Low quality assistants have been a factor in our recent demise - see Oxford last season.

(Although I have some reservations over Dyer and Butcher - I'd put them as caretakers, just to break the malaise under Lambert, if Marcus hasn't got a replacement lined up - would you Joe???)

BUT, we need a restructure off the pitch. We need a board, we need a CEO, and potentially a Footballing director with much more presence,and a stronger link to the manager. We have a good academy manager, and youth team coaches, lets build on that.

The club culture is wrecked - as Tyrone Mings rightly pointed out:

"I think there were a lot of good people at Ipswich, with the best interests of the club, that aren’t there anymore. Good culture & good people drive success, from top down. Really sad the way the club is atm"

But we can say we need this footballing structure until blue in the face, it smply isn't going to happen - the only way it does is organically over time if a new manager can build enough good will to drive it from the bottom up.

You've linked Mings words there, I'm sure people were saying the same about lack of football structure at that time so we can't pretend they were halcyon days, we just had a vry good manager because - Milts aside, and now Ian Milne - there hasn't been a swell of senior staff leaving.

Brilliant, exquisite, etc, etc. (n/t) on 13:14 - Feb 18 with 1554 viewsBloots

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 13:05 - Feb 18 by Steve_M

Imagine repeatedly making the wrong footballing judgements and just carrying on regardless.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and tremendously exquisite.

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 13:18 - Feb 18 with 1515 viewsMrTown

I can't believe people are still surprised he's still here.

Saddle up, still a way to go yet.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 13:35 - Feb 18 with 1461 viewspetieboy2011

With all the extra attention that is on the club at the moment (Talk sport, BBC Website etc.) and most of it negative - this can't be good for Marcus Evans' business, therefore I really think Lamberts days are numbered.

I think its obvious to say that if Lambert isn't sacked/or walks today then he will be in charge for the Oxford game - but personally I reckon that could be his last game in charge regardless of the result.

Evans, in the past, has had a new manager lined up before he has sacked the current manager and I believe this will be the case this time.......who that might be is anyone's guess! We could end up with Mike Bassett!!

SHAMBERT OUT
Login to get fewer ads

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 18:22 - Feb 18 with 1359 viewsunstableblue

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 13:05 - Feb 18 by Steve_M

I know!

31st October was the Crewe game, major questions raised by that performance and being given a footballing lesson by a lesser team. Nearly 4 months ago.

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 18:46 - Feb 18 with 1294 viewsunstableblue

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 13:10 - Feb 18 by itfcjoe

But we can say we need this footballing structure until blue in the face, it smply isn't going to happen - the only way it does is organically over time if a new manager can build enough good will to drive it from the bottom up.

You've linked Mings words there, I'm sure people were saying the same about lack of football structure at that time so we can't pretend they were halcyon days, we just had a vry good manager because - Milts aside, and now Ian Milne - there hasn't been a swell of senior staff leaving.

How’s changing the manager worked out before with no off field management structure? No board, senior team oversight of the decision or the environment the manager is entering? No CEO or footballing director of note to support the manager - keep the manager focussed on the first team performance, and that ONLY!

It’s been an unmitigated disaster. Coventry had more off field structure in Div 1 than us, and they don’t even have a ground, or close to our revenues.

My point with Mings was more about Culture is key - that come from the board, community outreach, off field staff. Clegg and Milne were ministers without portfolio. Milner lightweight. But I guess at least with Milne and Milton there was some kind of focal point. It’s an absent Marcus, and Lee O Neill.

Keane, Jewell, Hurst, Lambert - disasters in themselves; and even worse with no entity around them of note. McCarthy, great, but not a long term bet, period, even worse with nothing around him. Football had question marks on it even during success, disastrous end to the reign. Joe - you and others can deny this all you like, but when the stands are singing “your football is sh!t” in unison, on scale, there’s a kind of hint that it was.

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 18:55 - Feb 18 with 1251 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 18:22 - Feb 18 by unstableblue

I know!

31st October was the Crewe game, major questions raised by that performance and being given a footballing lesson by a lesser team. Nearly 4 months ago.

Well quite, so you’d have to be a particular kind of special to have been having a pop at everyone on TWTD for not seeing the obvious progress just 3 weeks after that then, wouldn’t you?

Well HELLLO TWTD.... what's occurring? a lack of understanding perchance? by unstableblue 22 Nov 2020 23:41
Hey Hey Hey.... the humiliating demise of the liar in Chief Trump, and the expulsion of the juvenile troll Bluefish surely justifies a short post and fleeting return to the board? (oooh look at me).

So I've been away for some time.. but have delved into the board on occasion, and bizarrely always returning to some man-baby tirade from Bluefish. Bless him, narcissism akimbo. Didn't the poisson bleu realise that Phil is the Kofi Annan, Boutros Boutros-Ghali of this board, he's the leveller, the only decent one amongst us - abusing him is hardly a sign of stability or class.

Anyway my true reason for returning is to perhaps provide some calm reflection, after the Shrews game, and perspective on the season.

Its all gone Lambert OUT, Shambert MAAAAD on here. Even some of our most esteemed posters such as Joe are baying for blood and the appointment of Cowley (yes, really!) and Cook. And those creating Trumpesque conspiracies of a lack of a goal celebration - fake news.

Look the Shrews game was really really poor, the international break and the usual lackadaisical return, the simple error for the early penalty, the injuries to Nolan and our best player Bishop.... blurggghh. "This league is terrible, every team is sh!t, Shrewsbury were woeful, we have to beat everyone"... yes we probably should with our squad.. but this is football, no game is easy and did anyone notice they put everyone behind the ball? and players like Ebanks Landell, Pierre, Pugh are not a walk over.

Excuses aside the problem Saturday is that the system and technical approach we're trying to follow did not get supported by the player performance or the players available. Period.

I'm no rabid fan of Lambert...I don't really warm to his style. But I'm not going to pretend I know what he's like behind the scenes at the training ground or with the players. I know it grates everyone when he says we're excellent week in week out.. but perhaps he views our high possession and passing as a plus. And also do you really think he's not criticising faults in our play behind the scenes - COME ON?! Also I do think some of our players need a kick, McGavin was great but he made errors, the excellent Wolf still needs to work at his game.

What amuses me is those complaining of his press style - Marcus has given us Keane, Mick, and Hurst.... that's part of the job description it seems. Fergie time.

Back to this season - its been much better. But we are still not where we want to be. People calling all performances this season abject? behave, you haven't a clue - Blackpool, Sunderland, etc (high shots per game, high possession per game). We've had some of the best passages of play and pass and move we've seen at this club since perhaps Magilton? But clearly its INCONSISTENT, and the ENERGY seems to ebb and flow. Does anyone actually remember Mick's last season ("oh but we were mid/bottom of the Championship not in League One" blah blah... it was woeful low possession, anti-football), calls for his return this season, embarrassing.

So what's been working? and WHY is everyone still so disgruntled.

Well first of lets think about selection, below (courtesy of GlasgowBlue's excellent early post) is our best possible team. I would perhaps put Jackson in for Lankaster... as his pace, goals and wing assists since being here has been good.

––––––––––––––––-Holy–––––––––––––––-

KVY––-–––––-Woolfie–––––-Toto––––––––-Ward

––––––Bishop–––––-Downes–––––Dozzell–––––-

Lankaster–––––––––Norwood––––––––-–Edwards

Illness, injury, absence has meant being without at times 6 of these guys. Lets be clear our system NOW under Lambert is Holy feeding Wolf and Toto, them bringing it forward and passing it through the lines or hitting the cross ball, Dozzell as quarterback, Bishops breaking the lines, full backs bombing forward, width AND CRITICALLY triangles of play between midfield and attack often. WHATS NOT TO LIKE? At least we've got a system at last! Edwards gives width and pace down the channels and has been statistically our most important player this year - he was missing against the Shrews if you hadn't noticed. Our system ALSO NEEDS a high press and ENERGY. THATS IT, THATS THE PLAN AND FOR ME ITS THE MOST COHERENT FOOTBALL STYLE WE'VE HAD FOR YEARS.

Why's it failing against the big guns (well not against Sunderland, errr or the second half against Pompey)? is it Lambert? as so many suggest. Perhaps... is he able to actually get the energy the drive out of his players? I'm not sure. I have a big worry about Lamberts back room staff.. are they too weak?? (look at Oxford this season, they lost their experienced assistant coach, a man with pedigree, and they've dropped like a stone).

To be fair Lambert's been very unlucky with injury - he kind of needs KVY, Dozzell, Bishop, Edwards and Norwood all playing and all firing for that system. He's never had that. Norwood is class. If you've actually watched him since his return, and fit, against Pompey and Shrews, you can just see he is at a different level to so many of our squad. We just have never had him fit.

Ward and Chambo's form has been essential, as stated the system has needed them breaking up and threatening, they just didn't turn up Saturday. And critically Judge and Sears then did not get service and support out wide and up the pitch, and both those senior wide attackers themselves looked lacking real drive.

So lets judge Lambert on what's on the pitch not his press conferences, there has been technical and tactical PROGRESS, that's what we need to look for. If he cannot match that to motivated players, then yeah - call for his head. But give the guy a bit more respect and also give him a little leeway given who he's had to select.

We're going into two critical games.. against those higher teams we can't seem to beat... but we're missing KVY, Bishop, Edwards, Nolan. If those who do play don't fight and show real energy.. and we take no points - Absolutely valid to question Lambert. But let's wait till Saturday night shall we??

COYFB

[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 18:59]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 18:58 - Feb 18 with 1221 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 18:46 - Feb 18 by unstableblue

How’s changing the manager worked out before with no off field management structure? No board, senior team oversight of the decision or the environment the manager is entering? No CEO or footballing director of note to support the manager - keep the manager focussed on the first team performance, and that ONLY!

It’s been an unmitigated disaster. Coventry had more off field structure in Div 1 than us, and they don’t even have a ground, or close to our revenues.

My point with Mings was more about Culture is key - that come from the board, community outreach, off field staff. Clegg and Milne were ministers without portfolio. Milner lightweight. But I guess at least with Milne and Milton there was some kind of focal point. It’s an absent Marcus, and Lee O Neill.

Keane, Jewell, Hurst, Lambert - disasters in themselves; and even worse with no entity around them of note. McCarthy, great, but not a long term bet, period, even worse with nothing around him. Football had question marks on it even during success, disastrous end to the reign. Joe - you and others can deny this all you like, but when the stands are singing “your football is sh!t” in unison, on scale, there’s a kind of hint that it was.

“McCarthy not a long term bet, period”

He was here for the best part of 6 seasons. The average managerial tenure in the English professional leagues is less than 2 years, and as of today only 4 of the current 92 have had a manager in place longer than the time he was here. Every one of his spells in this country has lasted at least 3 years (with the obvious exception of the current one) - if he isn’t a long term bet then who exactly is?
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 21:46]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 18:59 - Feb 18 with 1210 viewsitfcjoe

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 18:46 - Feb 18 by unstableblue

I haven’t said it is what I want, or what I think should happen - simply that that is what will happen and what the only way some structure would be built

Also Mixk was a good long term manager, however much you claim he wasn’t
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 19:00]

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 19:35 - Feb 18 with 1111 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 18:59 - Feb 18 by itfcjoe

I haven’t said it is what I want, or what I think should happen - simply that that is what will happen and what the only way some structure would be built

Also Mixk was a good long term manager, however much you claim he wasn’t
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 19:00]

As good a manager as Mick was I just got the impression that the team was rebuilt almost from scratch each year rather than developed. Now there may be a myriad of reasons for that, not least the lack of money, but in all his time here I didn't feel that the team was being improved the way it was, say, under Burley.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 19:51 - Feb 18 with 1031 viewsunstableblue

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 19:35 - Feb 18 by You_Bloo_Right

As good a manager as Mick was I just got the impression that the team was rebuilt almost from scratch each year rather than developed. Now there may be a myriad of reasons for that, not least the lack of money, but in all his time here I didn't feel that the team was being improved the way it was, say, under Burley.

It’s a good point - mick did so many good things, Mings, the flare loanees, Berra on reflection was bloody good. Did he bring in Cresswell in, just wow.

But whilst I get why Skuse is rated; he never sorted central midfield, and we never got the playmaker. Not that anyone had sorted that perennial problem... Dozzell is probably up there, which I don’t know what that says. skuglas?! Or was Hykusglas?

But Micks final seasons the squad didn’t seem to grow into itself, loans. Another massive failing of Micks was right back - how many seasons not resolved?

On and on.

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 20:39 - Feb 18 with 957 viewsitfcjoe

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 19:35 - Feb 18 by You_Bloo_Right

It's a different time to under Burley, keeping hold of players is incredibly difficult......but we had a very steady side under Mick - I struggle to see how were building a new team every season when we had such a consistent team over a large chunk of his reign

Gerken - Bart

CHambers
Berra
Smith
Cresswell - Mings - Knudsen

Skuse

Thats a back 6 which was remarkably consistent playing hundreds of games for us

Then Murphy, Sears, McGoldrick

We generally added 2-3 1st teamers at most each season, then just had a fiddle round with the squad filler - it was remarkably consistent

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 22:26 - Feb 18 with 822 viewsunstableblue

I cannot believe he’s still here??? on 18:55 - Feb 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Well quite, so you’d have to be a particular kind of special to have been having a pop at everyone on TWTD for not seeing the obvious progress just 3 weeks after that then, wouldn’t you?

Well HELLLO TWTD.... what's occurring? a lack of understanding perchance? by unstableblue 22 Nov 2020 23:41
Hey Hey Hey.... the humiliating demise of the liar in Chief Trump, and the expulsion of the juvenile troll Bluefish surely justifies a short post and fleeting return to the board? (oooh look at me).

So I've been away for some time.. but have delved into the board on occasion, and bizarrely always returning to some man-baby tirade from Bluefish. Bless him, narcissism akimbo. Didn't the poisson bleu realise that Phil is the Kofi Annan, Boutros Boutros-Ghali of this board, he's the leveller, the only decent one amongst us - abusing him is hardly a sign of stability or class.

Anyway my true reason for returning is to perhaps provide some calm reflection, after the Shrews game, and perspective on the season.

Its all gone Lambert OUT, Shambert MAAAAD on here. Even some of our most esteemed posters such as Joe are baying for blood and the appointment of Cowley (yes, really!) and Cook. And those creating Trumpesque conspiracies of a lack of a goal celebration - fake news.

Look the Shrews game was really really poor, the international break and the usual lackadaisical return, the simple error for the early penalty, the injuries to Nolan and our best player Bishop.... blurggghh. "This league is terrible, every team is sh!t, Shrewsbury were woeful, we have to beat everyone"... yes we probably should with our squad.. but this is football, no game is easy and did anyone notice they put everyone behind the ball? and players like Ebanks Landell, Pierre, Pugh are not a walk over.

Excuses aside the problem Saturday is that the system and technical approach we're trying to follow did not get supported by the player performance or the players available. Period.

I'm no rabid fan of Lambert...I don't really warm to his style. But I'm not going to pretend I know what he's like behind the scenes at the training ground or with the players. I know it grates everyone when he says we're excellent week in week out.. but perhaps he views our high possession and passing as a plus. And also do you really think he's not criticising faults in our play behind the scenes - COME ON?! Also I do think some of our players need a kick, McGavin was great but he made errors, the excellent Wolf still needs to work at his game.

What amuses me is those complaining of his press style - Marcus has given us Keane, Mick, and Hurst.... that's part of the job description it seems. Fergie time.

Back to this season - its been much better. But we are still not where we want to be. People calling all performances this season abject? behave, you haven't a clue - Blackpool, Sunderland, etc (high shots per game, high possession per game). We've had some of the best passages of play and pass and move we've seen at this club since perhaps Magilton? But clearly its INCONSISTENT, and the ENERGY seems to ebb and flow. Does anyone actually remember Mick's last season ("oh but we were mid/bottom of the Championship not in League One" blah blah... it was woeful low possession, anti-football), calls for his return this season, embarrassing.

So what's been working? and WHY is everyone still so disgruntled.

Well first of lets think about selection, below (courtesy of GlasgowBlue's excellent early post) is our best possible team. I would perhaps put Jackson in for Lankaster... as his pace, goals and wing assists since being here has been good.

––––––––––––––––-Holy–––––––––––––––-

KVY––-–––––-Woolfie–––––-Toto––––––––-Ward

––––––Bishop–––––-Downes–––––Dozzell–––––-

Lankaster–––––––––Norwood––––––––-–Edwards

Illness, injury, absence has meant being without at times 6 of these guys. Lets be clear our system NOW under Lambert is Holy feeding Wolf and Toto, them bringing it forward and passing it through the lines or hitting the cross ball, Dozzell as quarterback, Bishops breaking the lines, full backs bombing forward, width AND CRITICALLY triangles of play between midfield and attack often. WHATS NOT TO LIKE? At least we've got a system at last! Edwards gives width and pace down the channels and has been statistically our most important player this year - he was missing against the Shrews if you hadn't noticed. Our system ALSO NEEDS a high press and ENERGY. THATS IT, THATS THE PLAN AND FOR ME ITS THE MOST COHERENT FOOTBALL STYLE WE'VE HAD FOR YEARS.

Why's it failing against the big guns (well not against Sunderland, errr or the second half against Pompey)? is it Lambert? as so many suggest. Perhaps... is he able to actually get the energy the drive out of his players? I'm not sure. I have a big worry about Lamberts back room staff.. are they too weak?? (look at Oxford this season, they lost their experienced assistant coach, a man with pedigree, and they've dropped like a stone).

To be fair Lambert's been very unlucky with injury - he kind of needs KVY, Dozzell, Bishop, Edwards and Norwood all playing and all firing for that system. He's never had that. Norwood is class. If you've actually watched him since his return, and fit, against Pompey and Shrews, you can just see he is at a different level to so many of our squad. We just have never had him fit.

Ward and Chambo's form has been essential, as stated the system has needed them breaking up and threatening, they just didn't turn up Saturday. And critically Judge and Sears then did not get service and support out wide and up the pitch, and both those senior wide attackers themselves looked lacking real drive.

So lets judge Lambert on what's on the pitch not his press conferences, there has been technical and tactical PROGRESS, that's what we need to look for. If he cannot match that to motivated players, then yeah - call for his head. But give the guy a bit more respect and also give him a little leeway given who he's had to select.

We're going into two critical games.. against those higher teams we can't seem to beat... but we're missing KVY, Bishop, Edwards, Nolan. If those who do play don't fight and show real energy.. and we take no points - Absolutely valid to question Lambert. But let's wait till Saturday night shall we??

COYFB

[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 18:59]

Did I write that? Its brilliant. Thanks for trawling the back catalogue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024