Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? 11:07 - Feb 18 with 10425 viewsKeno

obviously if you have but cant say anything we would understand

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:30 - Feb 18 with 2981 viewsPhilTWTD

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:21 - Feb 18 by George25

Is Mike Ashley still interested Phil ? Didn’t he relocate this way in the summer.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 13:25]

Don't think there was anything in that rumour. Still owns Newcastle, of course.
Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:31 - Feb 18 with 2976 viewsGeorge25

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:26 - Feb 18 by BluedanW

Surely he must realise all the money he has invested and the debt mean nothing now to the value of the club. He is supposed to be a business man sometimes I find that hard to believe.

One analogy of Ipswich is comparing the club to a house. He bought the house when it was in a fair condition and needed a little work on it. He has since brought in cowboy builders on the cheap to try an maintain. But sadly the house has is now dilapidated. It isn't even still on the same street he bought it, it has now been moved to the wrong side of town ie a lower league.
How he can still expect an offer in the region of the what the debt owed to him is?

Hopefully he has come to the realisation that he hasn't got the knowhow to make his investment work anymore and all he is doing is losing 6 million pounds a year.
It's time to let someone else have a go.

I think he’s paranoid that he’ll let it go on the cheap and then new owner take us to the premier league in next two years. I’m sure he would take a reasonable offer is their was some agrument he would get a windfall if we got promoted in X number of years.
Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:31 - Feb 18 with 2976 viewsnoggin

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:24 - Feb 18 by Leaky

Wasn't Michael Spencer a director during Sheepy's day 's in charge. Had friend who worked for him as a consultant, said he would be good guy to get in. However that was all pre Evans

More likely to be Frank Spencer now.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:33 - Feb 18 with 2955 viewsdirtyboy

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:16 - Feb 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

I'm interested in this list you have detailing who can and cannot afford a football club.

Afford a football club as in any football club or one that matches the ridiculous expectations of the fans and can afford to lose £5-10m a year?

I know people who could buy it. I don't know any that would be prepared to buy something that loses that much and whilst the upside potential is there and can be seen, isn't that exactly what Evans did?
Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:37 - Feb 18 with 2901 viewsGeorge25

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:33 - Feb 18 by dirtyboy

Afford a football club as in any football club or one that matches the ridiculous expectations of the fans and can afford to lose £5-10m a year?

I know people who could buy it. I don't know any that would be prepared to buy something that loses that much and whilst the upside potential is there and can be seen, isn't that exactly what Evans did?

Although we lose 5-10M a year, makes you think how much of that can be minimised by cutting cost. With Evans just writing a cheque each year the different departments at the club may be able to spend freely. Remember this was a problem at Sunderland when the new owners came in a couple of summers ago.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 13:40]
Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:38 - Feb 18 with 2876 viewsRyorry

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:30 - Feb 18 by PhilTWTD

Don't think there was anything in that rumour. Still owns Newcastle, of course.

Mike Ashley buying would be akin to jumping from the frying pan into the fire methinks.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:39 - Feb 18 with 2876 viewsjeera

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:31 - Feb 18 by George25

I think he’s paranoid that he’ll let it go on the cheap and then new owner take us to the premier league in next two years. I’m sure he would take a reasonable offer is their was some agrument he would get a windfall if we got promoted in X number of years.

"I think he’s paranoid that he’ll let it go on the cheap and then new owner take us to the premier league in next two years"

Why do you think that?

"I’m sure he would take a reasonable offer is their was some agrument he would get a windfall if we got promoted in X number of years."

Or that?

Where does this stuff come from? I'm not saying it's beyond possibility, or even unrealistic, but these posts guessing what Evans thinks are becoming more and more bizarre by the day.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:41 - Feb 18 with 2850 viewsjeera

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:33 - Feb 18 by dirtyboy

Not exactly in the best global economic climate atm either.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:46 - Feb 18 with 2798 viewsJ2BLUE

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:03 - Feb 18 by monytowbray

I am a firm believer in living in reality so you know what you are up against.

My post wasn't serious. It's been well known for a while now that there ARE buyers for the club but Evans scares them off with his demands.

It's like buying a house to rent out but no one renting it for a decade and then thinking the new buyers should pay what the house is worth and the rent you missed out on.

Time to swallow those losses Marcus with the same grace as you'd have taken those juicy Premier League profits.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:46 - Feb 18 with 2799 viewsGeorge25

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:39 - Feb 18 by jeera

"I think he’s paranoid that he’ll let it go on the cheap and then new owner take us to the premier league in next two years"

Why do you think that?

"I’m sure he would take a reasonable offer is their was some agrument he would get a windfall if we got promoted in X number of years."

Or that?

Where does this stuff come from? I'm not saying it's beyond possibility, or even unrealistic, but these posts guessing what Evans thinks are becoming more and more bizarre by the day.

Evans seems the type of person to worry about them thing. Since mcgoldrich going he’s been Cautious about not letting players go, which is why he doesn’t wasn’t to sell Joni, Nolan, Jackson etc. As their a risk they would go back to the form when we singed them.

Didt he say in an interview with club or EADT that he would be interested in an offer below expectations if their was an agreement that he would be entitled to any financial gains the club makes in so many years after he leaves.
Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:50 - Feb 18 with 2760 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:31 - Feb 18 by George25

Surely it's not tricky to factor into the deal some payment if the club were to reach the Premier League within X years as long as it's realistic.

I would imagine any sticking point is in any new owner agreeing the level of debt to take on (in other words, how much on-going interest they would be paying to ME once he was no longer investing). There must be a point that Evans must realise he is throwing good money after bad. Perhaps some structuring of the debt so that it only gets paid at certain rates while the club is in the Championship and a higher rate in the Premier League would work? I guess Evans is keen to write as little of the debt off as possible but he must realise he isn't getting the club back in the Premier League and on that basis writing a lot of it off is inevitable at some point.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:52 - Feb 18 with 2741 viewsPhilTWTD

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:26 - Feb 18 by BluedanW

Surely he must realise all the money he has invested and the debt mean nothing now to the value of the club. He is supposed to be a business man sometimes I find that hard to believe.

One analogy of Ipswich is comparing the club to a house. He bought the house when it was in a fair condition and needed a little work on it. He has since brought in cowboy builders on the cheap to try an maintain. But sadly the house has is now dilapidated. It isn't even still on the same street he bought it, it has now been moved to the wrong side of town ie a lower league.
How he can still expect an offer in the region of the what the debt owed to him is?

Hopefully he has come to the realisation that he hasn't got the knowhow to make his investment work anymore and all he is doing is losing 6 million pounds a year.

I don't think the debt is particularly an issue, the loans were always made with little expectation they'd be paid back. But he'll want as much as he can get for it, won't he?
Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:53 - Feb 18 with 2729 viewsGeorge25

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:50 - Feb 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

Surely it's not tricky to factor into the deal some payment if the club were to reach the Premier League within X years as long as it's realistic.

I would imagine any sticking point is in any new owner agreeing the level of debt to take on (in other words, how much on-going interest they would be paying to ME once he was no longer investing). There must be a point that Evans must realise he is throwing good money after bad. Perhaps some structuring of the debt so that it only gets paid at certain rates while the club is in the Championship and a higher rate in the Premier League would work? I guess Evans is keen to write as little of the debt off as possible but he must realise he isn't getting the club back in the Premier League and on that basis writing a lot of it off is inevitable at some point.

I thought Evans is happy for the debt to go for free if he receives a sensible offer for the club
Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:54 - Feb 18 with 2724 viewsxrayspecs

Heard a number of years ago from sport management/city folk that club was on the market but ME price tag was the issue with those who enquired,
Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:58 - Feb 18 with 2698 viewsdirtyboy

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:52 - Feb 18 by PhilTWTD

I don't think the debt is particularly an issue, the loans were always made with little expectation they'd be paid back. But he'll want as much as he can get for it, won't he?

Of course he will, but wanting an overage on future success is a difficult negotiation to undertake.

It's weird isn't it? Personally, as Evans...if someone wanted to take it off my hands, i'd let them and cut my losses and be better off by not having to fund the next decade.

The new owner won't want to put in £5-10m a year of their money to then have to pay Evans a % if they make a success of their risk, but anything is possible in football.
Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 14:02 - Feb 18 with 2660 viewslongtimefan

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:54 - Feb 18 by xrayspecs

Heard a number of years ago from sport management/city folk that club was on the market but ME price tag was the issue with those who enquired,

Really depends on whether they were really looking to buy or just speculative interest. You’ll always get people who say they’re interested in buying a house and then offer an unrealistic fraction of the listed price.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 14:09]
Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 14:02 - Feb 18 with 2660 viewsPhilTWTD

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:58 - Feb 18 by dirtyboy

Of course he will, but wanting an overage on future success is a difficult negotiation to undertake.

It's weird isn't it? Personally, as Evans...if someone wanted to take it off my hands, i'd let them and cut my losses and be better off by not having to fund the next decade.

The new owner won't want to put in £5-10m a year of their money to then have to pay Evans a % if they make a success of their risk, but anything is possible in football.

The assumption has always been that there would be some element of extra cash in the Premier League in any deal but obviously that's such a long way away at present. And in the Championship the club would make a loss, so nothing to cream off for additional payments there.
Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 14:03 - Feb 18 with 2653 viewsGodBlue

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:52 - Feb 18 by PhilTWTD

I have wondered recently whether there's something going on behind the scenes re a takeover. He must be getting close to a point where it's just gonna be better to offload the club for whatever he can, surely?

Feels to me like he's clearly lost interest and the longer he sits on his hands and watches the club sink, the less it's going to be worth.

If he wants it to increase in value from here, he's going to need to pull his bloody finger out!

Poll: After 778 days, what’s improved since Paul Lambert arrived?

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 14:06 - Feb 18 with 2630 viewsPhilTWTD

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 14:03 - Feb 18 by GodBlue

I have wondered recently whether there's something going on behind the scenes re a takeover. He must be getting close to a point where it's just gonna be better to offload the club for whatever he can, surely?

Feels to me like he's clearly lost interest and the longer he sits on his hands and watches the club sink, the less it's going to be worth.

If he wants it to increase in value from here, he's going to need to pull his bloody finger out!

I don't think he's lost interest as such, he's been at plenty of games and has taken an active role in things that are going on, and from a financial perspective has continued to fund things, including the January loans.

But, as you say, there must come a point when he feels he's had enough of it and looks to move it on.
Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 14:07 - Feb 18 with 2619 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 13:46 - Feb 18 by J2BLUE

My post wasn't serious. It's been well known for a while now that there ARE buyers for the club but Evans scares them off with his demands.

It's like buying a house to rent out but no one renting it for a decade and then thinking the new buyers should pay what the house is worth and the rent you missed out on.

Time to swallow those losses Marcus with the same grace as you'd have taken those juicy Premier League profits.

Fat fingers trying to upvote. Don't appear to even out with an upvote now - now done!
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 14:08]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 14:09 - Feb 18 with 2601 viewsSingBlue

Please don’t use this analogy otherwise we might end up with Dion Dublin as our next manager...
🏠🔨
Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 14:13 - Feb 18 with 2564 viewshype313

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 14:06 - Feb 18 by PhilTWTD

I don't think he's lost interest as such, he's been at plenty of games and has taken an active role in things that are going on, and from a financial perspective has continued to fund things, including the January loans.

But, as you say, there must come a point when he feels he's had enough of it and looks to move it on.

It's in his interests to fund the loans even if he's looking to sell, the club is far more sellable the higher up they can get.

I happen to think he hasn't lost interest per se, but given Covid and his other businesses, I just wonder if he thinks he could do without the hassle of running a football club and let someone else fund the annual loss.

13 years is a long time of continued failure and he's far further away from where he wants to be than when he took over, can't really blame him if he's lost his appetite.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 14:21 - Feb 18 with 2528 viewsxrayspecs

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 14:02 - Feb 18 by longtimefan

Really depends on whether they were really looking to buy or just speculative interest. You’ll always get people who say they’re interested in buying a house and then offer an unrealistic fraction of the listed price.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 14:09]

As I understand it the interest was genuine but not Ipswich specific, these were parties who wanted to buy into a football club. The value of the deal cooled interest and they moved onto other clubs.
Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 14:24 - Feb 18 with 2506 viewsSenatorBlue

Would now not be the perfect time to purchase Town. Having fallen well below its ‘normal’ standing and now widely known to be in crisis, and with the pandemic due ease in the next 12 months from the vaccinations, you’d think there will be a surge in social events like watching a football match, therefore surely Town have to be valued at their lowest ever amount to take advantage of this.

I’ve always been told those who succeed, invest during crisis.

You have to wonder given the lack of action. No way Evans would do anything if on the process of selling, and might explain only loans in January.
Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 14:26 - Feb 18 with 2488 viewsPhilTWTD

Phil - just out of interest are you aware of any take over rumours? on 14:13 - Feb 18 by hype313

It's in his interests to fund the loans even if he's looking to sell, the club is far more sellable the higher up they can get.

I happen to think he hasn't lost interest per se, but given Covid and his other businesses, I just wonder if he thinks he could do without the hassle of running a football club and let someone else fund the annual loss.

13 years is a long time of continued failure and he's far further away from where he wants to be than when he took over, can't really blame him if he's lost his appetite.

Agree, must take up a lot of his time - particularly as he's unwilling to delegate - in addition to all the money when he's got other businesses to be running and with them also likely to be having a tough time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024