Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I’m in a conundrum... 22:14 - Dec 19 with 7000 viewsLeistonBlue

I live in London and have spent the last 12 days in full isolation (haven’t left the house at all, live on my own), in order to safely travel to my parents who live in Leiston for Christmas. I have also had one negative test two days ago and awaiting the results of another one taken today (private tests, not scrounging off the NHS). Assuming that one comes back negative as well, do I drive to Suffolk on Tuesday as planned safe in the knowledge that I have done everything in my power to not bring the virus with me, or do I follow the rules to the letter and stay in London having Christmas on my own and not seeing my parents who I haven’t seen since February? Thoughts TWTD peeps??
I’m in a conundrum... on 22:18 - Dec 19 with 3666 viewstownblue

I think you would be fine to go. Sounds like you have been very careful.
I’m in a conundrum... on 22:22 - Dec 19 with 3638 viewsSteve_M

You can ask others but it comes down to a personal choice and your own risk assessment. Given the situation you have described, especially that you would be driving, then you are probably ok but going in breach of very strong instruction.

I’m staying in London and having Christmas on my own now but I saw my parents a fortnight ago and my brother and his family last week so it’ss very different emotional equation for me.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I’m in a conundrum... on 22:26 - Dec 19 with 3581 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Your 12 days full isolation have not involved any interaction with visitors including food delivery? Will you travel without any need to stop for fuel etc?

Of course there are grey areas and ways that people can mitigate risk but there is also the question of how important is it that you see your parents at this time?

There are reasons for the rules. There are also reasons why many will bend or ignore them.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

I’m in a conundrum... on 22:29 - Dec 19 with 3562 viewsStenvict

Just go. People in more da groups situations will be doing the same. I haven't self isolated, but I rarely leave my flat and I'll be venturing to Suffolk on Thursday.

Poll: What will be announced first?

I’m in a conundrum... on 22:36 - Dec 19 with 3525 viewsjeera

One thing that can be said, if everyone had taken a remotely similar approach to yours, we would not be in this position.

I filled my car at the beginning of the month in equal anticipation so understand.

It happens I can still go [I think] but am in a different location to you.

Like I say, it seems unfair that you have only the same rights as someone who will not have taken the same measures.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I’m in a conundrum... on 22:38 - Dec 19 with 3498 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I'm in a similar position (been isolating but not had tests). I won't now be going to my parents' in Essex because it's against the rules.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

I’m in a conundrum... on 22:43 - Dec 19 with 3469 viewsPinewoodblue

Sadly the only answer is you are doomed to spending Christmas on your own as you cannot stay overnight away from your home.

It isn't a question of bending the guidelines as it is backed by law.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

I’m in a conundrum... on 22:44 - Dec 19 with 3450 viewsbluelagos

Basically you have to decide whether your family is more important than abiding by a law.

Assuming you are not a risk to your parents (as seems apparent) and they are not a risk to you (if not, you risk taking the virus back to London and spreading there) ?

Last consideration is the chances of getting caught and the consequences.

It's a horrible dilemma and only you know how important it is to you/your parents or whether you could delay a trip home to Easter and/or when they are vaccinated.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

I’m in a conundrum... on 22:45 - Dec 19 with 3449 viewsJ2BLUE

I’m in a conundrum... on 22:38 - Dec 19 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'm in a similar position (been isolating but not had tests). I won't now be going to my parents' in Essex because it's against the rules.

It's tragic because you and the OP aren't the bloody problem. You're being punished collectively along with everyone else.

It's really unfair. To the OP, i'd probably go to be honest. If you had been out and couldn't be sure you weren't infectious then no but you have taken caution to the maximum level and not going to follow the rules seems a bit stupid. The rules are there precisely because most people can't be sure. I'd go quietly and as soon as you're cleared by the second test. Then once you get there keep your head down.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I’m in a conundrum... on 22:47 - Dec 19 with 3419 viewsStokieBlue

You've done everything you can and I expect you'll be absolutely fine but it's worth pointing out this isn't guidance, it's the law. If you are stopped you can realistically expect a heavy fine.

In the end the choice is yours.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

I’m in a conundrum... on 22:49 - Dec 19 with 3395 viewsStokieBlue

I’m in a conundrum... on 22:29 - Dec 19 by Stenvict

Just go. People in more da groups situations will be doing the same. I haven't self isolated, but I rarely leave my flat and I'll be venturing to Suffolk on Thursday.

So you've not taken any precautions but you think it's fine to just ignore the law and travel to another area which isn't in tier 4.

It's hard to know what to say to this.

It's like the entire press conference didn't happen. It's not about your risk, it's about you being an unwitting carrier of a new strain to other parts of the country and putting those areas at risk.

SB
[Post edited 19 Dec 2020 22:50]

I’m in a conundrum... on 22:51 - Dec 19 with 3361 viewsJ2BLUE

This is really not a good idea and is very selfish.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I’m in a conundrum... on 22:54 - Dec 19 with 3348 viewsfactual_blue

You have no evidence for your assertion.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I’m in a conundrum... on 22:56 - Dec 19 with 3330 viewsLeistonBlue

Cheers for all the replies/advice everyone.. will wait for the results of the second test and then make a decision I think. Car has a full tank which should easily do London to Suffolk and back, but I’ve never really been one to knowingly break the law. It’s a tricky one!
I’m in a conundrum... on 23:03 - Dec 19 with 3283 viewsbluelagos

I’m in a conundrum... on 22:47 - Dec 19 by StokieBlue

You've done everything you can and I expect you'll be absolutely fine but it's worth pointing out this isn't guidance, it's the law. If you are stopped you can realistically expect a heavy fine.

In the end the choice is yours.

SB

How can it be against the law? Laws are made in parliament rather than press conferences. And parliament isn't sitting this week.

Perhaps a legal beagle can clarify?

I’m in a conundrum... on 23:04 - Dec 19 with 3279 viewseireblue

I have seen my Mother once, and Dad once, since Feb, they live separate and alone.

Neither are in a horrible situation as described by Frimley.

We are not meeting.
I’m in a conundrum... on 23:06 - Dec 19 with 3262 viewsStokieBlue

I’m in a conundrum... on 23:03 - Dec 19 by bluelagos

How can it be against the law? Laws are made in parliament rather than press conferences. And parliament isn't sitting this week.

Listening to the news earlier they said there was a method of changing the law to factor this in. I'm not a legal beagle as you say.

It really shouldn't matter though should it? Everyone seems intent on finding a justification not to follow the rules even though there is a massively more infectious strain of C19 in circulation.

I know things are complicated and I appreciate that but in the end every trip is a possible vector - nobody can be entirely sure.

SB
[Post edited 19 Dec 2020 23:10]

I’m in a conundrum... on 23:11 - Dec 19 with 3210 viewsbluelagos

I’m in a conundrum... on 23:06 - Dec 19 by StokieBlue

Listening to the news earlier they said there was a method of changing the law to factor this in. I'm not a legal beagle as you say.

It really shouldn't matter though should it? Everyone seems intent on finding a justification not to follow the rules even though there is a massively more infectious strain of C19 in circulation.

I know things are complicated and I appreciate that but in the end every trip is a possible vector - nobody can be entirely sure.

SB
[Post edited 19 Dec 2020 23:10]

Think you are very much mis-reading the situation. I think 90% will follow the guidelines, a few will bend them and a few will royally take the p'ss.

Much like say mask wearing or following the other rules.

I’m in a conundrum... on 23:14 - Dec 19 with 3199 viewsStokieBlue

I’m in a conundrum... on 23:11 - Dec 19 by bluelagos

Think you are very much mis-reading the situation. I think 90% will follow the guidelines, a few will bend them and a few will royally take the p'ss.

Much like say mask wearing or following the other rules.

Yes, everyone was an exaggeration.

Let's hope 90% is right, although even that won't be enough to stop the new strain reaching parts of the country not yet heavily affected.

Of course it's impossible to keep it contained either way.

SB

I’m in a conundrum... on 23:23 - Dec 19 with 3151 viewsfactual_blue

Basically by a Statutory Instrument

https://www.parliament.uk/site-information/glossary/secondary-legislation/?id=32

The entire management of the pandemic has, I would imagine, been legally authorised by Statutory Instruments.

If absolutely everything in a modern state had to have an Act of Parliament, nothing would get done.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I’m in a conundrum... on 23:24 - Dec 19 with 3146 viewsbluelagos

I’m in a conundrum... on 23:14 - Dec 19 by StokieBlue

Yes, everyone was an exaggeration.

Let's hope 90% is right, although even that won't be enough to stop the new strain reaching parts of the country not yet heavily affected.

Of course it's impossible to keep it contained either way.

SB

It s genuinely worrying the higher infectousness of the new strain. The 2nd wave is with is now, throw in a more infectous strain and I just can't see how the govt couldn't not act.

But I sense a genuine wearyness of the rules, people have had enough. I don't see people being selfish, I see people fed up with it and questioning the low risk to them against a theoretical risk to others. I see people questionning why they cant take their own risks without fully appreciating the risk they are to others. I see it as ignorance rather than indifference to the risks of them spreading the virus.

I’m in a conundrum... on 23:27 - Dec 19 with 3119 viewsPinewoodblue

https://www.parliament.uk/site-information/glossary/statutory-instruments-sis/

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

I’m in a conundrum... on 23:30 - Dec 19 with 3101 viewsSeablu

Utterly shameful & ignorant piece of advice.

Thankfully, the only thing we have in common is that we support the same team.

Even that depresses me.
I’m in a conundrum... on 23:32 - Dec 19 with 3080 viewsitfcpaul

You can't leave the area you are in. It's the Law

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

I’m in a conundrum... on 23:34 - Dec 19 with 3058 viewsSitfcB

Go.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024