Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Following on from fruit....best vegetable? 13:41 - Oct 8 with 9310 viewsWarkystache

For me it has to be the potato. Closely followed by Pak Choi. And then asparagus

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 19:21 - Oct 8 with 2675 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Leeks,
Cauliflower,
Broccoli.
All great with cheese.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 19:31 - Oct 8 with 2667 viewsStokieBlue

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 17:59 - Oct 8 by BrixtonBlue

Yeah, I was definitely the only aggressive one.

No worries, cheerie o.

I'm honestly baffled by this whole thread.

You seem to be looking for things to cite for the big leave.

Cool off, come back, be happy.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 19:34 - Oct 8 with 2660 viewsWarkystache

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 19:12 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

Oh you know. You're the puppet master. Can't believe I never saw this before. Pak choi, ffs. I should have known something was amiss.

I like spring onions as well!

I just like Pak Choi with fish and meat. And oyster sauce.

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 19:36 - Oct 8 with 2657 viewsjeera

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 19:10 - Oct 8 by Warkystache

Sh*t. My bad. Starting a thread about veg that suddenly went inexplicably downhill. Still don't know why?

You knew exactly what you were doing.

By starting a thread on favourite vegetables it was only ever going to go in one direction.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 19:40 - Oct 8 with 2651 viewsjeera

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 19:34 - Oct 8 by Warkystache

I like spring onions as well!

I just like Pak Choi with fish and meat. And oyster sauce.

Pak choi, bok choi, whatever, is great in a Chinese stir fry, agreed.

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 19:43 - Oct 8 with 2647 viewsjeera

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 13:49 - Oct 8 by Westover

Runner beans and I can't get them in the Algarve 😭
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 13:53]

Fresh runners and french beans are great off the plant.

Grow the things yourself next year!

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 19:44 - Oct 8 with 2642 viewsWarkystache

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 19:43 - Oct 8 by jeera

You need big cane-like structures for runners though, don't you? Remember my dad growing them at home, and having to create something akin to the Wicker Man in our garden to support them.

Sod that.

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 19:48 - Oct 8 with 2640 viewsjeera

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 19:44 - Oct 8 by Warkystache

You need big cane-like structures for runners though, don't you? Remember my dad growing them at home, and having to create something akin to the Wicker Man in our garden to support them.

Sod that.

If there's a wall in a suitable spot that gets plenty of light then that's ideal.

The thing to bear in mind is the odd summer storm; nothing more heartbreaking to go out and see all your work smashed up.

Drill a few holes into the wall and shove a few canes in the to tie to the frame. That's all I do and make more of a box shape than the teepee style structure.

Worth every ounce of effort.

Login to get fewer ads

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 19:50 - Oct 8 with 2637 viewseireblue

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 17:38 - Oct 8 by J2BLUE

Most of it was store bought (I know...) so had a little skimmed milk and butter.

You store bought your poo?

This thread is indeed baffling.

In my research I was disturbed find Jalapeños are a fruit.

Still, will make my next fruit salad a surprise for everyone.
Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 20:24 - Oct 8 with 2615 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 17:16 - Oct 8 by BrixtonBlue

It wasn't me who turned it into an argument though.

Ah well. My time here is done.

*Stomps to nearest rock atop a cliff*

Thanks everyone this stuff is priceless!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 20:25 - Oct 8 with 2615 viewsRyorry

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 17:16 - Oct 8 by J2BLUE

As an intelligent adult you don't have to accept every piece of info given to you without looking into it yourself.

I know more about potatoes than anyone who doesn't make a living dealing with potatoes should ever need to know. I lost 5 stone eating 500g-1KG (shop bought weight) of potatoes a day in their whole unadulterated form. They are packed with nutrition and one study showed that boiled potatoes are the most satiating food of all they tested. There is no sensible argument against the potato if nothing has been added to it in the cooking for healthy people/the vast majority of unhealthy people.

Sorry to not read to end of thread before posting this, but am shocked into immediate response because ... well ... did this not result in you sitting on the lavvie for at least 8 hours daily expressing more sh1t than DumpTrump?

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 20:29 - Oct 8 with 2611 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 19:10 - Oct 8 by Warkystache

Sh*t. My bad. Starting a thread about veg that suddenly went inexplicably downhill. Still don't know why?

Does this stuff happen on the Millwall forum too?

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 20:30 - Oct 8 with 2608 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 19:21 - Oct 8 by StochesStotasBlewe

Leeks,
Cauliflower,
Broccoli.
All great with cheese.

You forgot potatoes.

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 20:34 - Oct 8 with 2603 viewsWarkystache

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 20:29 - Oct 8 by BanksterDebtSlave

Does this stuff happen on the Millwall forum too?

Dunno. Never been.

Probably.

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 20:55 - Oct 8 with 2590 viewsWestover

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 19:43 - Oct 8 by jeera

I've tried so has a friend you can get them to flower at best then they die, it's just too hot whatever time of year you you plant them.
Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 20:59 - Oct 8 with 2586 viewsRyorry

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 20:55 - Oct 8 by Westover

I've tried so has a friend you can get them to flower at best then they die, it's just too hot whatever time of year you you plant them.

Ah. They do need a lot of water too (and misting/spraying helps when it's dry). Have you/they tried growing in shade, maybe under a tree?

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 21:14 - Oct 8 with 2582 viewsWestover

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 20:59 - Oct 8 by Ryorry

Ah. They do need a lot of water too (and misting/spraying helps when it's dry). Have you/they tried growing in shade, maybe under a tree?

My only place to grow them is on my roof terrace in large containers but it's full sun, I watered three times a day they got to five foot and died, a friend has a small farm and has been trying for years he gets them to flower but no beans ever set.
I also like to grow shallots I put six in each container each one month apart the first one produced about 60 that was planting in December next lot were very small third just failed.( I do pickled onions) I went to check them the other week all had gone soft, we had 30 degs plus for months ,plan B is in place.
Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 21:26 - Oct 8 with 2571 viewsRyorry

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 21:14 - Oct 8 by Westover

My only place to grow them is on my roof terrace in large containers but it's full sun, I watered three times a day they got to five foot and died, a friend has a small farm and has been trying for years he gets them to flower but no beans ever set.
I also like to grow shallots I put six in each container each one month apart the first one produced about 60 that was planting in December next lot were very small third just failed.( I do pickled onions) I went to check them the other week all had gone soft, we had 30 degs plus for months ,plan B is in place.

Ah right, gotcha. I think trying to grow under trees would probably be a punt too far anyway, tho they might be OK in light or dappled shade.

Do you have plenty of bees and wasps around? It's just that you saying both yourself & friend's plants got to flower stage, but failed to fruit makes me wonder if they're getting pollinated? (which they do need).

Generally speaking tho, it's good to go with what your neighbours have done successfully over the years - sticking with plants that like their environment saves a lot of literally fruitless hard work! And ready-frozen shop-bought veg are probably better quality these days than they've ever been ...
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 21:27]

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 21:38 - Oct 8 with 2562 viewsWestover

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 21:26 - Oct 8 by Ryorry

Ah right, gotcha. I think trying to grow under trees would probably be a punt too far anyway, tho they might be OK in light or dappled shade.

Do you have plenty of bees and wasps around? It's just that you saying both yourself & friend's plants got to flower stage, but failed to fruit makes me wonder if they're getting pollinated? (which they do need).

Generally speaking tho, it's good to go with what your neighbours have done successfully over the years - sticking with plants that like their environment saves a lot of literally fruitless hard work! And ready-frozen shop-bought veg are probably better quality these days than they've ever been ...
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 21:27]

Yes plenty of bees about we have Bea eaters from April to September, I've looked on Google it seems you can grow them up country where it's cooler, I have been eating strawberry's since April and tomato's have been good, Cucumbers grew well but turned yellow either too much or not enough water, it's a case of trial and error.
Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 21:42 - Oct 8 with 2557 viewsjeera

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 20:55 - Oct 8 by Westover

Oh fair enough mate.

Last year (might have been year before) it was stupidly hot and all of mine shed their flowers and stopped producing for a few weeks until the weather changed.

I was having to water them up to 7 times a day at one point when they were producing.

It may be worth doing a bit of research into the different varieties - if you haven't already of course!

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 21:49 - Oct 8 with 2553 viewsWestover

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 21:42 - Oct 8 by jeera

Oh fair enough mate.

Last year (might have been year before) it was stupidly hot and all of mine shed their flowers and stopped producing for a few weeks until the weather changed.

I was having to water them up to 7 times a day at one point when they were producing.

It may be worth doing a bit of research into the different varieties - if you haven't already of course!

Yes I will do I do miss them when I lived in Ireland I was eating them most days for up to eleven weeks from August, not the same taste frozen I only tried that once.
Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 21:52 - Oct 8 with 2549 viewsjeera

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 21:49 - Oct 8 by Westover

Yes I will do I do miss them when I lived in Ireland I was eating them most days for up to eleven weeks from August, not the same taste frozen I only tried that once.

I always like to have a few runners, french beans and mange tout all growing in a line.

Usually with a few tomato plants on the end too.

Go along the line and pick your dinner!

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 21:56 - Oct 8 with 2548 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 20:30 - Oct 8 by BanksterDebtSlave

You forgot potatoes.

The shame will remain with me on the forum for ever.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest my armpits for such inexscusable behaviour.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 22:21 - Oct 8 with 2673 viewsvapour_trail

Is this the most ridiculous twtd thread ever?

Stiff competition I know.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 22:23 - Oct 8 with 2667 viewswkj

Figured I may as well pop on the thread seems as I used o be the scapegoat for some wanting to leave the boards. Turns out it was potatoes all along.

#Vindicated #appologyaccepted

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024