Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U 16:08 - Aug 15 with 11641 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Played this afternoon against Gillingham. Will likely feature against Town this week.

Absolute madness that is.

Sorry if already covered.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 16:09 - Aug 15 with 4126 viewsAce_High1

Maybe just maybe he is not very good?

Was a weak link in our defence when he was last here, always had a mistake in him and weak when up against opposition strikers.
Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 16:17 - Aug 15 with 4069 viewsWeWereZombies

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 16:09 - Aug 15 by Ace_High1

Was a weak link in our defence when he was last here, always had a mistake in him and weak when up against opposition strikers.

Clearly signing for Colchester will be a step up after all those low points like putting in a shift for New Zealand against Italy in a World Cup...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

"Don't let it bounce Tommy!!!"" (n/t) on 16:18 - Aug 15 with 4055 viewsBloots

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 16:30 - Aug 15 with 3995 viewsClapham_Junction

Personally I think he'd be an improvement on any of our centre backs apart from Woolfenden. His replacements (Pennington and Toto) were woeful and Chambers has seriously declined in the last couple of seasons.
Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 16:31 - Aug 15 with 3981 viewsBluefish

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 16:30 - Aug 15 by Clapham_Junction

Personally I think he'd be an improvement on any of our centre backs apart from Woolfenden. His replacements (Pennington and Toto) were woeful and Chambers has seriously declined in the last couple of seasons.

Here's a thought.....Tommy has most probably declined as well while getting old playing in the pub league in the USA and being unemployed

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 16:48 - Aug 15 with 3871 viewsTHAILAND_BLUE

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 16:31 - Aug 15 by Bluefish

Here's a thought.....Tommy has most probably declined as well while getting old playing in the pub league in the USA and being unemployed

Isn't the so called pub league you mention the league we currently play in?
Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 16:59 - Aug 15 with 3799 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I cannot fathom that people think he would not be great addition to the squad.

We currently have Wilson, Nsiala and Donacien as back up CB, I need say no more.

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 16:59 - Aug 15 with 3799 viewsArnieM

TS is not the future ..and was never really all that when he was here at the Club. A loyal servant yes, one of our best defenders definitely no.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Login to get fewer ads

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:05 - Aug 15 with 3779 viewsTerry_Nutkins

The facts are this on paper the player we had here before would be good enough for L1 although people seem to remember him much better than before. I'd welcome him back as much as anything as he's a town guy and would give us a boost and good around the dressing room.

However he had time here training to really impress. He had time at Sunderland to really impress and didn't get a game or come into their thinking now either. Like it or not, based on clubs looking at him now he is not getting offers at L1 level which suggests unfortunately he's not seen as an improvement. People witnessing what he's producing in person aren't offering him. What do we want people to do, see him looking a step down from what we have and sign him anyway!?

Let's move on. It's a shame but not completely surprising.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:06 - Aug 15 with 3757 viewsBluefish

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 16:48 - Aug 15 by THAILAND_BLUE

Isn't the so called pub league you mention the league we currently play in?

We haven't moved to the mls we are in a different pub league

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:22 - Aug 15 with 3684 viewsLibero

LOL, ffs. Have you seen Wilson play?

Smith is an international footballer that has played hundreds of games in the Chakpionship, give your head a wobble.
Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:27 - Aug 15 with 3658 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 16:31 - Aug 15 by Bluefish

We have Toto Nsiala, James Wilson, Janoi Donacien.

We are about to have another hefty schedule ahead.

Absolute madness not to add in Tommy, Mick had faith in him during his time here, only 30, good pedigree at international and Championship level. Would be a very good addition to this squad in L1.

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:28 - Aug 15 with 3658 viewsPJH

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:05 - Aug 15 by Terry_Nutkins

The facts are this on paper the player we had here before would be good enough for L1 although people seem to remember him much better than before. I'd welcome him back as much as anything as he's a town guy and would give us a boost and good around the dressing room.

However he had time here training to really impress. He had time at Sunderland to really impress and didn't get a game or come into their thinking now either. Like it or not, based on clubs looking at him now he is not getting offers at L1 level which suggests unfortunately he's not seen as an improvement. People witnessing what he's producing in person aren't offering him. What do we want people to do, see him looking a step down from what we have and sign him anyway!?

Let's move on. It's a shame but not completely surprising.

Certainly if Tommy Smith was that wonderful NOW he would be doing better than being on trial at a fourth division club.

It could be that if we signed him he would turn out to be a success but it could also be that he is no longer as good as he was.
Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:30 - Aug 15 with 3640 viewsLibero

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:27 - Aug 15 by TheTrueBlue1878

We have Toto Nsiala, James Wilson, Janoi Donacien.

We are about to have another hefty schedule ahead.

Absolute madness not to add in Tommy, Mick had faith in him during his time here, only 30, good pedigree at international and Championship level. Would be a very good addition to this squad in L1.

I like the idea that spending the last 4 years marking the likes of Zlatan, Gio dos Santos, Hernandez, Carlos Vela, Giovinco and various other players that are somewhere between Premier League and Championship quality, has some how blunted his ability...
[Post edited 15 Aug 2020 17:31]
Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:33 - Aug 15 with 3628 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:28 - Aug 15 by PJH

Certainly if Tommy Smith was that wonderful NOW he would be doing better than being on trial at a fourth division club.

It could be that if we signed him he would turn out to be a success but it could also be that he is no longer as good as he was.

He’s having his first child, with his wife’s family all living local he is looking to stay around this area for that support.

I’m sure he will have received offers elsewhere, but he’s looking to stay local.

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:37 - Aug 15 with 3597 viewsBrixtonBlue

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:22 - Aug 15 by Libero

Smith is an international footballer that has played hundreds of games in the Chakpionship, give your head a wobble.

I really don't know why so many slag Wilson off on here. I suspect because of how we came by him. From what I saw on the pitch, he was fairly decent. Nothing spectacular, tended to hoof it clear a bit too much, but he was consistently a 6 or 7 out of 10 for me in terms of actually defending. I certainly don't remember seeing him make many glaring mistakes.

I've no idea what Tommy Smith is like these days, but it's been a long time since he played in the Championship or at the World Cup for NZ. The fact that he's now at the stage of having a trial at Colchester suggests he ain't that good anymore.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:39 - Aug 15 with 3579 viewsLibero

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:37 - Aug 15 by BrixtonBlue

I really don't know why so many slag Wilson off on here. I suspect because of how we came by him. From what I saw on the pitch, he was fairly decent. Nothing spectacular, tended to hoof it clear a bit too much, but he was consistently a 6 or 7 out of 10 for me in terms of actually defending. I certainly don't remember seeing him make many glaring mistakes.

I've no idea what Tommy Smith is like these days, but it's been a long time since he played in the Championship or at the World Cup for NZ. The fact that he's now at the stage of having a trial at Colchester suggests he ain't that good anymore.

There are extenuating factors as to why Smith is prepared to play for Colchester, let’s not forget Sunderland signed him on a short term deal just before Covid hit the UK.
Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:48 - Aug 15 with 3526 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

You need 4 defenders realistically, 3 you can you rely, and one you would be satisfied to ‘fill in’, that’s how I would build the CB position, Woolfenden, Chambers, Smith I would be happy to rely on, with Wilson to fill in.

Right now we have to rely on Wilson, and be happy with Nsiala and Donacien to fill in. That really isn’t good enough in my opinion.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2020 17:49]

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:57 - Aug 15 with 3490 viewsBrixtonBlue

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:48 - Aug 15 by TheTrueBlue1878

You need 4 defenders realistically, 3 you can you rely, and one you would be satisfied to ‘fill in’, that’s how I would build the CB position, Woolfenden, Chambers, Smith I would be happy to rely on, with Wilson to fill in.

Right now we have to rely on Wilson, and be happy with Nsiala and Donacien to fill in. That really isn’t good enough in my opinion.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2020 17:49]

You know how good Tommy Smith is these days? Seen him play recently?

I'd be happy to have Wilson in your 'rely on' section. As I said, he was pretty consistently a 6 or 7 out of 10 every time he played.

Another back up would obviously be good, but I don't know anything of how good Tommy is these days so I'll have to rely on the coaches. If they think he's not good enough I'd have to go with that. His wages can't be too silly if he's on trial at Col U so I don't see why they wouldn't want him if he still has the talent and is looking for a club locally.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 18:07 - Aug 15 with 3456 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:57 - Aug 15 by BrixtonBlue

I'd be happy to have Wilson in your 'rely on' section. As I said, he was pretty consistently a 6 or 7 out of 10 every time he played.

Another back up would obviously be good, but I don't know anything of how good Tommy is these days so I'll have to rely on the coaches. If they think he's not good enough I'd have to go with that. His wages can't be too silly if he's on trial at Col U so I don't see why they wouldn't want him if he still has the talent and is looking for a club locally.

No I haven’t seen Tommy Smith play recently, we’ve been on a hiatus for over 4 months.

I have seen Toto and Janoi Donacien play recently, that’s all I really need to say on the matter.

I wouldn’t rely on Wilson, he does tend to give you 5/6 out of 10 performances, no more though. He’s a stopper, no real technique on the floor, but certainly could fill in from time to time.

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 18:07 - Aug 15 with 3457 viewsLibero

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:57 - Aug 15 by BrixtonBlue

I saw him play in the MLS against some of the high profile names I listed, he was solid and dependable as ever.
Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 18:45 - Aug 15 with 3349 viewsFootballpete

The season Mick kept us up he and Chambers were exceptional together. Maybe the could recreate that partnership?

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 19:10 - Aug 15 with 3277 viewstextbackup

for me smith is an upgrade on Wilson, not a huge amount, but still an upgrade

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 19:14 - Aug 15 with 3266 viewstextbackup

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 17:22 - Aug 15 by Libero

if we were linked with a 30 year old international, that had played hundreds of games in the championship, and there was no fee involved, even TWTD would unite to say that's something worth getting excited for.

he is ahead of chambers, donacian, nsialaialia and Wilson. hes probably a better defender than wolf, but wolfs a better footballer.

seems a non brainer

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 19:19 - Aug 15 with 3245 viewsLibero

Tommy Smith is on trial at Col U on 19:14 - Aug 15 by textbackup

if we were linked with a 30 year old international, that had played hundreds of games in the championship, and there was no fee involved, even TWTD would unite to say that's something worth getting excited for.

he is ahead of chambers, donacian, nsialaialia and Wilson. hes probably a better defender than wolf, but wolfs a better footballer.

seems a non brainer

Aye, I’d love to know Lamberts justification for not signing him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024