Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Calling forum painters & decorators 17:17 - Jul 16 with 888 viewseastangliaisblue

Could do with some advice please. Under orders of the wife, I have painted our bedroom in a dark grey. I have a slight difference in colour between what I have rolled in, and what I have cut in with a brush. Why is this happening, and what can I do to get rid of it? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Calling forum painters & decorators on 17:54 - Jul 16 with 819 viewsSeablu

Try and get a midi roller with the same fabric as the standard roller.
Use it to go over the parts you've brush painted. Not perfect but will certainly look better.
Calling forum painters & decorators on 18:21 - Jul 16 with 791 viewseastangliaisblue

Calling forum painters & decorators on 17:54 - Jul 16 by Seablu

Try and get a midi roller with the same fabric as the standard roller.
Use it to go over the parts you've brush painted. Not perfect but will certainly look better.

Thanks for the tip, i'll give it a go.
Calling forum painters & decorators on 18:25 - Jul 16 with 790 viewsfactual_blue

Tell her it's meant to be like that; it's a tip you picked up from a programme on the sky DIY channel.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Calling forum painters & decorators on 18:34 - Jul 16 with 786 viewsGuthrum

It likely isn't actually a different colour, but instead down to texture. Brushed rather than rollered finish can catch the light differently, especially if the paint has any kind of sheen to it (even the supposedly matt paints from the B&Q Valspar range do have a bit). To get round that you could either cut in before rollering, to narrow the brushed band, or Seablu's idea of going over it afterwards with a little roller. Tho there will always be a bit at the very edge you'll have to use a brush for.

Also bear in mind cutting in takes a lot longer to dry than a rollered surface, so will perhaps be a different shade for an hour or so after.

You also have to be careful with mixed colours (i.e. not off-the-shelf) that some of the base and/or added pigment can end up under the rim of the tin (even after their machine has shaken it), occasionally causing straks of a different shade. But that would only happen in patches. Solution to that is giving it a good stir/shake before applying.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Calling forum painters & decorators on 18:45 - Jul 16 with 761 viewseastangliaisblue

Calling forum painters & decorators on 18:25 - Jul 16 by factual_blue

Tell her it's meant to be like that; it's a tip you picked up from a programme on the sky DIY channel.

There's no pulling the wool over her eyes i'm afraid!
Calling forum painters & decorators on 18:50 - Jul 16 with 751 viewsShawsey

There are cutting in rollers available out there. No good for you at this moment in time, but perhaps get one for next time. It is because you used a brush against roller, different textures. Good luck.
Calling forum painters & decorators on 18:50 - Jul 16 with 751 viewseastangliaisblue

Calling forum painters & decorators on 18:34 - Jul 16 by Guthrum

It likely isn't actually a different colour, but instead down to texture. Brushed rather than rollered finish can catch the light differently, especially if the paint has any kind of sheen to it (even the supposedly matt paints from the B&Q Valspar range do have a bit). To get round that you could either cut in before rollering, to narrow the brushed band, or Seablu's idea of going over it afterwards with a little roller. Tho there will always be a bit at the very edge you'll have to use a brush for.

Also bear in mind cutting in takes a lot longer to dry than a rollered surface, so will perhaps be a different shade for an hour or so after.

You also have to be careful with mixed colours (i.e. not off-the-shelf) that some of the base and/or added pigment can end up under the rim of the tin (even after their machine has shaken it), occasionally causing straks of a different shade. But that would only happen in patches. Solution to that is giving it a good stir/shake before applying.

I thought it might be down to that, as I have rolled twice and cut in three times. It's vinyl matt and looks quite chalky, is the only way i can describe it. I done it a few days ago, so it's definetly dry! Will give the little roller a try. Thanks for your help.
Calling forum painters & decorators on 18:51 - Jul 16 with 744 viewseastangliaisblue

Calling forum painters & decorators on 18:50 - Jul 16 by Shawsey

There are cutting in rollers available out there. No good for you at this moment in time, but perhaps get one for next time. It is because you used a brush against roller, different textures. Good luck.

Got a feeling i'm going to have to give the whole room another coat. I won't hear the end of it otherwise!
Login to get fewer ads

Calling forum painters & decorators on 19:59 - Jul 16 with 668 viewsgainsboroughblue

I'm pretty sure once it has settled down, it will look the same. The cut in bits used with a brush takes longer to dry than what is put on the roller.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Calling forum painters & decorators on 20:32 - Jul 16 with 640 viewseastangliaisblue

Calling forum painters & decorators on 19:59 - Jul 16 by gainsboroughblue

I'm pretty sure once it has settled down, it will look the same. The cut in bits used with a brush takes longer to dry than what is put on the roller.

Even after a few days it could still be settling down?
Calling forum painters & decorators on 20:34 - Jul 16 with 636 viewsLeaky

Calling forum painters & decorators on 18:34 - Jul 16 by Guthrum

I think Guthrum has nailed it
Calling forum painters & decorators on 20:34 - Jul 16 with 634 viewsgainsboroughblue

Calling forum painters & decorators on 20:32 - Jul 16 by eastangliaisblue

Even after a few days it could still be settling down?

Oh! I assumed you had done it today. Soz.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Calling forum painters & decorators on 20:36 - Jul 16 with 631 viewseastangliaisblue

Calling forum painters & decorators on 20:34 - Jul 16 by gainsboroughblue

Oh! I assumed you had done it today. Soz.

No a few days ago unfortunately.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024