Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We're not that far off 12:20 - Jun 15 with 13925 viewsgoperryrevs

After the Cov away game, I chatted to some Cov fans who said that, first half especially, we were the best team by far they'd seen all season. Early in the season, Cov's defence was woeful at times. But they managed to plug that gap, turn it around and now they're up.

Especially in league 1, margins are small - which is why we went from winning every week to losing every week. We've got a good crop of youngsters coming through, and players returning from injury, and a manager who, despite his failings at times, should be good enough for league 1. We'll have also had the experience playing for a season in league 1 to draw on.

Even if we lose Flynniesta and Wolf, there's enough to be hopeful that if/when next season happens, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to have a good go of it.
We're not that far off on 03:20 - Jun 16 with 2180 viewspablovian

We need to stop spending so much time passing the ball around in small triangles just over the half way line near the right touch line. It helps possession stats, but it also lets the other team take a breather, regroup and counter-attack swiftly after a mistake.
We're not that far off on 08:41 - Jun 16 with 2092 viewsBlue12345

We're not that far off on 12:33 - Jun 15 by Herbivore

Our manager would probably drag a Sunday league side backwards if we're being brutally honest about his capabilities. The squad is plenty good enough, with a couple of additions it should be good enough to stroll to promotion. I have zero faith in Lambert though.

Also, I thought Flynn's nickname was Flynnedine Zidownes? Flynniesta isn't bad either though.

Herbivore, What level of football have you played? I disagree with majority of what you post regarding football, though I respect you’re entitled to your opinion I am interested to know what your football background is so I can understand how you form certain opinions.

Cheers
We're not that far off on 08:53 - Jun 16 with 2078 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

We're not that far off on 08:41 - Jun 16 by Blue12345

Herbivore, What level of football have you played? I disagree with majority of what you post regarding football, though I respect you’re entitled to your opinion I am interested to know what your football background is so I can understand how you form certain opinions.

Cheers

I quite like reading his posts. Himself and that Bluefish really make me chuckle, almost the comedy characters to the website.

However, judging by their posts, I do suspect they haven't played football to any decent standard, if at all.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

We're not that far off on 09:10 - Jun 16 with 2047 viewsHerbivore

Cheers

Why don't you try contributing a view rather than asking irrelevant questions about people?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We're not that far off on 09:17 - Jun 16 with 2042 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

We're not that far off on 15:57 - Jun 15 by clive_baker

I'm not making excuses, I don't have any loyalty to the bloke, quite the opposite. I pay he wages, we all do. I thought he was unplayable against Burton and really showed what he was capable of, but I'll also call a spade a spade and say he was sh1t on a number of occasions. It's not like we tore it up without him though, Wimbledon away sticks in my memory, Josh Earl marauding up the left wing like Bambi on ice, we created very little against one of the worst sides in the division while Judge sat on the bench.

It's incredibly hard to come back from such serious injuries, 2 years later or otherwise. He might never be a L1 player again, but all I'm saying is if we're going to write players off based on last season we might as well reconvene with 4 or 5 players next season. Judge has looked handy for Ireland since, and made most of MM's squads, yet he's not good enough for us. That doesn't quite stack up for me. Until we fix the issue that we're rudderless and Lambert can't get a tune out of anyone, it's a bit premature to dismiss certain players.

Just my opinion, but fully respect yours.

Completely agree re coming back from injury but that’s largely the point for me. He clearly isn’t the player he was before being injured - and two and a half years after returning, one full pre season and one broken pre season, a year and a half playing regularly and turning 32 in November it’s pretty apparent that he never will be

You make a fair point about us not looking without him either and remarkably he is still one of our more effective midfielders - which is entirely the problem. None of them have been good enough, and it’s Judge’s case the scrutiny is higher given the reputation and that he is no doubt amongst our better earners

Not convinced on the Ireland point - being included isn’t much of a statement as they’re pretty gash currently and from what I’ve seen looking handy has basically consisted of one good free kick

I just think we need to look forwards, and Judge clearly isn’t the future - or indeed the present based what we’ve seen so far

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

We're not that far off on 09:18 - Jun 16 with 2046 viewssparks

We're not that far off on 03:20 - Jun 16 by pablovian

We need to stop spending so much time passing the ball around in small triangles just over the half way line near the right touch line. It helps possession stats, but it also lets the other team take a breather, regroup and counter-attack swiftly after a mistake.

I disagree. Nothing wrong at all with moving the ball around in triangles- and the opposition have to keep covering the gaps it makes.

The problem comes when it is not productive because there isnt the appropriate movement or options around the ball to move on, and when after 30 seconds of it, it gets laid back to a defender to lump over the top. At that point, it was all pointless.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

We're not that far off on 09:19 - Jun 16 with 2033 viewsHerbivore

We're not that far off on 08:53 - Jun 16 by TheTrueBlue1878

I quite like reading his posts. Himself and that Bluefish really make me chuckle, almost the comedy characters to the website.

However, judging by their posts, I do suspect they haven't played football to any decent standard, if at all.

Sick burn from the kid who gets a hard on about new kits.

We're not that far off on 09:21 - Jun 16 with 2032 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Cheers

Hi Paul,

Presumably you’re lining up a ‘whereas I’ve won the Champions League so therefore I clearly know a bit more’ type response?

I would suggest that playing at a high level does not automatically make you a good manager (or indeed even that knowledgeable based on some high profile pundits).

Perhaps people may be higher on your managerial abilities had you not led Ipswich to an 11th placed finish in the third division, having failed miserably to fight relegation the season before. Or indeed having failed in your previous 4 jobs too

Looking forward to the response

Healy

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

We're not that far off on 09:48 - Jun 16 with 2024 viewsWallingford_Boy

We're not that far off on 13:49 - Jun 15 by pointofblue

Bullard at least turned up during the loan spell. As for Judge...

I see your Judge and raise you Gwion Edwards!

just
pointless

A winger that cannot wing and as for him playing full back.... *shudder*

RIP Sir Bobby

We're not that far off on 09:57 - Jun 16 with 2011 viewsclive_baker

We're not that far off on 09:48 - Jun 16 by Wallingford_Boy

I see your Judge and raise you Gwion Edwards!

just
pointless

A winger that cannot wing and as for him playing full back.... *shudder*

I mean Ryan Giggs he isn't, but I do sympathise with him being shoe horned in as a full back. It's not pub football, by and large square pegs in round holes are exposed pretty sharpish. He was utter dross there, but to leave ourselves in a position where he was our only option was partly bad luck with injuries, but also a failing on the part of the management.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

We're not that far off on 10:12 - Jun 16 with 1982 viewsBlue12345

We're not that far off on 09:10 - Jun 16 by Herbivore

Why don't you try contributing a view rather than asking irrelevant questions about people?

I think we looked at our best when we were playing KVY and Garbutt as wing backs. When KVY got injured it was a big blow and then moving Garbutt forward also wasn’t good for us. Having them as wing backs moved us up the field and they regularly supported Norwood and Jackson, this accompanied by Flynn downes making forward runs have us a huge threat going forwards and certainly gave the opposition something to think about. Norwood missed a lot of chances but he was always a threat, when he got injured he was also a big miss. I don’t think Will Keane is mobile enough. Especially without KVY and Garbutt. When we played without Garbutt, KVY and Norwood Jackson was isolated. He would make runs and have little support.

We saw Woolf starting to make runs through midfield from center back to join the attack in the second half of the season I believe was thought up to help with the above problem I’ve mentioned above. It certainly helped in a few games but it was a big ask for it to be the answer.

Garbutt, KVY, Norwood and playing Flynn Downes Woolf playing along with the system of a front 2 supported by Flynn and the wing backs was down to Lambert.

The criticism I have of Lambert is unnecessary squad rotation. He overthought this I think and it really hampered our momentum and moral.

He can learn from this for next and I see no reason we can’t get off to a flying start again and this time have the correct backup in case of injuries. And not try to implement this squad rotation.
We're not that far off on 10:19 - Jun 16 with 1961 viewsBlue12345

We're not that far off on 09:21 - Jun 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Hi Paul,

Presumably you’re lining up a ‘whereas I’ve won the Champions League so therefore I clearly know a bit more’ type response?

I would suggest that playing at a high level does not automatically make you a good manager (or indeed even that knowledgeable based on some high profile pundits).

Perhaps people may be higher on your managerial abilities had you not led Ipswich to an 11th placed finish in the third division, having failed miserably to fight relegation the season before. Or indeed having failed in your previous 4 jobs too

Looking forward to the response

Healy

If I was PL I would have finished with:

Ps. I’ve played in big games. Big, big games for Borussia Dortmund in the champions league, european nights at Celtic Park.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 10:21]
We're not that far off on 10:22 - Jun 16 with 1951 viewsLibero

We're not that far off on 10:19 - Jun 16 by Blue12345

If I was PL I would have finished with:

Ps. I’ve played in big games. Big, big games for Borussia Dortmund in the champions league, european nights at Celtic Park.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 10:21]

Hi Paul, love what you did at Celtic but absolutely distraught at the mess you're making here at Ipswich. Please piss off ASAP.

Cheers.
We're not that far off on 10:26 - Jun 16 with 1946 viewssparks

We're not that far off on 10:12 - Jun 16 by Blue12345

I think we looked at our best when we were playing KVY and Garbutt as wing backs. When KVY got injured it was a big blow and then moving Garbutt forward also wasn’t good for us. Having them as wing backs moved us up the field and they regularly supported Norwood and Jackson, this accompanied by Flynn downes making forward runs have us a huge threat going forwards and certainly gave the opposition something to think about. Norwood missed a lot of chances but he was always a threat, when he got injured he was also a big miss. I don’t think Will Keane is mobile enough. Especially without KVY and Garbutt. When we played without Garbutt, KVY and Norwood Jackson was isolated. He would make runs and have little support.

We saw Woolf starting to make runs through midfield from center back to join the attack in the second half of the season I believe was thought up to help with the above problem I’ve mentioned above. It certainly helped in a few games but it was a big ask for it to be the answer.

Garbutt, KVY, Norwood and playing Flynn Downes Woolf playing along with the system of a front 2 supported by Flynn and the wing backs was down to Lambert.

The criticism I have of Lambert is unnecessary squad rotation. He overthought this I think and it really hampered our momentum and moral.

He can learn from this for next and I see no reason we can’t get off to a flying start again and this time have the correct backup in case of injuries. And not try to implement this squad rotation.

Moving Garbutt forward (which is where he started, of course) made absolute sense. Playing at WB or FB, we suffered his less than stellar defending, and lost his attacking attributes for the most part.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

We're not that far off on 10:27 - Jun 16 with 1945 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

We're not that far off on 09:19 - Jun 16 by Herbivore

Sick burn from the kid who gets a hard on about new kits.

Salty babe?

P.S I get more than a hard on a new kits.

We're not that far off on 10:40 - Jun 16 with 1918 viewstractorboy1978

I think next season we have to really back 'our own' players. How would the side below fare?

Holy

KVY - Woolfy - Chambers - Kenlock (if Garbutt doesn't sign)

Downes-Dozzell

Lankester - El Miz/Dobra - Jackson

Norwood

You've potentially got 6 academy graduates in there assuming Downes/Woolfy stay.
We're not that far off on 10:42 - Jun 16 with 1910 viewsLibero

We're not that far off on 10:40 - Jun 16 by tractorboy1978

I think next season we have to really back 'our own' players. How would the side below fare?

Holy

Downes-Dozzell

Norwood

You've potentially got 6 academy graduates in there assuming Downes/Woolfy stay.

I'm all for that, although Dozzell's going to need to step up very quickly if he's going to be playing centre midfield week-in-week-out.
We're not that far off on 10:48 - Jun 16 with 1891 viewspatrickswell

We're not that far off on 09:17 - Jun 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Completely agree re coming back from injury but that’s largely the point for me. He clearly isn’t the player he was before being injured - and two and a half years after returning, one full pre season and one broken pre season, a year and a half playing regularly and turning 32 in November it’s pretty apparent that he never will be

You make a fair point about us not looking without him either and remarkably he is still one of our more effective midfielders - which is entirely the problem. None of them have been good enough, and it’s Judge’s case the scrutiny is higher given the reputation and that he is no doubt amongst our better earners

Not convinced on the Ireland point - being included isn’t much of a statement as they’re pretty gash currently and from what I’ve seen looking handy has basically consisted of one good free kick

I just think we need to look forwards, and Judge clearly isn’t the future - or indeed the present based what we’ve seen so far

Basically any player we’ve signed from Brentford’s play-off team in 2014/15 has been a real flop for us (Douglas, Diagouraga, Judge). We’ll end up with James Tarkowski in a few years time only to discover his legs have gone, I expect.
We're not that far off on 10:54 - Jun 16 with 1880 viewssparks

Holy

Downes-Dozzell

Norwood

Incredibly lightweight in a cloggers division. And a right footed striker on the left. And I would never have garbutt at the back. Other than that- great!

We're not that far off on 11:09 - Jun 16 with 1850 viewsHerbivore

We're not that far off on 10:12 - Jun 16 by Blue12345

We didn't move Garbutt forward, we moved him back. Very early season he was playing ahead of Kenlock as a winger. KVY also mainly played as a full back rather than as a wing back, we only started a couple of games with him with wing backs and in one of those we switched back to a 4-4-2 with him at full back before the end of the first half as the system wasn't working. He was very good at overlapping but it helped that we had wide players able to cover when he overlapped, something we didn't have when we started playing three at the back with wing backs more regularly. Garbutt suffered as a result as he's not good enough to cover an entire flank by himself (few players are, especially at this level).

Lambert never hit upon a system. You make it sound like we were marauding forward and ripping through teams early in the season when the reality is we were very McCarthy like, we kept it pretty tight and nicked a goal or two. Our extra quality came through just enough to eek out one or two good chances and that was about our lot. At the time it was usually enough.

I make your faith in Lambert utterly misplaced. He's not a rookie and he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. His constant changing of system and personnel was a shambles. He couldn't even seem to get the players motivated half the time. Over the season we never developed a clear system or way of playing, even in our better spells. There are no grounds to have any faith in him at all.

We're not that far off on 11:10 - Jun 16 with 1850 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Holy

Downes-Dozzell

Norwood

Holy

KVY - Chambers - Smith - Nydam

Skuse - Dozzell

Lankester - El Mizouni - Dobra

Norwood

99% sure Wolf or Downes won't be here, need to sign Tommy Smith. Little bit more experience at the back, but a lot of flair going forward. 6 academy graduates in the starting XI - Bishop, Edwards, Jackson, Judge, Sears in reserve.

Should be well clear at the top with that team on paper, but it never works like that.

We're not that far off on 11:17 - Jun 16 with 1841 viewstractorboy1978

We're not that far off on 11:10 - Jun 16 by TheTrueBlue1878

Holy

Skuse - Dozzell

Norwood

99% sure Wolf or Downes won't be here, need to sign Tommy Smith. Little bit more experience at the back, but a lot of flair going forward. 6 academy graduates in the starting XI - Bishop, Edwards, Jackson, Judge, Sears in reserve.

Should be well clear at the top with that team on paper, but it never works like that.

I'd look to sign Smith too.

I'm not sure there will be much of a market for Downes/Woolfy unless we are willing to sell on the cheap.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 11:18]
We're not that far off on 11:17 - Jun 16 with 1836 viewsHerbivore

We're not that far off on 11:10 - Jun 16 by TheTrueBlue1878

Holy

Skuse - Dozzell

Norwood

Not sure you can say we should be clear at the top with that side when you've got Nydam at left back, who hasn't played there at first team level, and three attacking midfielders who as yet are unproven at this level. It's a side with potential but that's about it, and it looks a bit lightweight overall.

We're not that far off on 11:42 - Jun 16 with 1802 viewsPJH

We're not that far off on 08:53 - Jun 16 by TheTrueBlue1878

I urgently need to know if my three goals for Melton Youth Club Old Boys Reserves in a 3-3 draw about 45 years ago qualify me to post on here with an opinion about football or not?
We're not that far off on 12:57 - Jun 16 with 1753 viewsGarv

Holy

Downes-Dozzell

Norwood

I think that side finishes between mid table and relegation, to be honest.

Some good names mixed in but nowhere near enough steel and experience.

I'd be looking to recruit a new (future) captain if possible. Chambers to be phased out over the the next year or two.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024