Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., 12:25 - Mar 22 with 5773 viewsMaySixth

very interested in TWTDers memories of this season - players, games, management, trips, ups and downs

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 19:42 - Mar 23 with 923 viewsEnigma_Blue

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 17:24 - Mar 22 by Radlett_blue

Those crowd figures are rather sobering.
I don't have the rose tinted view of Lyall shared by some fans. I think while he wasn't a bad coach, he lucked out to some extent with the emergence of Dozzell & Kiwomya making the difference to a decidedly average Town team. most of his subsequent transfer dealings were those of a man who had lost the plot completely & wasn't too bothered e.g. handing over team affairs to Mc Given.

Did he luck out or was it his coaching & management that helped bring out the best in Kiwomya and Dozzell? I suppose we can't be sure one way or the other. Rather harsh regarding his transfer dealings, he brought in Whitton, Goddard, Youds, Baker, Williams, Guenchev, Sedgley, Marshall & Mason, who all did a decent job for us. Yes there were a couple of dodgy ones like Bozinovski & Paz but even Alex Ferguson brought in a few duds over the years.
I agree with you regarding handing over the team affairs completely to McGiven, that was a mistake & the beginning of the end.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2020 19:46]
Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 21:21 - Mar 23 with 888 viewsFifeITFC

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 19:27 - Mar 23 by Enigma_Blue

Didn't Beck also get the ground staff to heavily water the 4 corners of their pitch so after their goalkeeper or defenders hoofed the ball forward it would slow up quicker allowing their wingers to get there before the ball went out of play to whip in a cross?
Or am I thinking of someone else?
[Post edited 23 Mar 2020 19:57]

Yes, at Abbey Stadium (not Portman Road, like the guy said he went to). That was Beck's tactics for ALL Cambridge games, not just against us. Also they would let the grass grow longer in the corners to slow the ball down.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 21:35 - Mar 23 with 878 viewsITFC_Forever

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 17:24 - Mar 22 by Radlett_blue

Those crowd figures are rather sobering.
I don't have the rose tinted view of Lyall shared by some fans. I think while he wasn't a bad coach, he lucked out to some extent with the emergence of Dozzell & Kiwomya making the difference to a decidedly average Town team. most of his subsequent transfer dealings were those of a man who had lost the plot completely & wasn't too bothered e.g. handing over team affairs to Mc Given.

That’s incredibly harsh on Lyall.

We had an average squad and he got the absolute best out them.... every player to a man from that squad says it was down to Lyall and his man-management - the belief and confidence he gave them was incredible.

I didn’t rate our chances at going in to 1991-92, and neither did many others based on the attendances vs Port Vale and Middlesbrough, but he made the best of what he had and gave us an unforgettable season.... my most enjoyable ever, even better than the Burley years.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 22:11 - Mar 23 with 858 viewsgainsboroughblue

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 21:35 - Mar 23 by ITFC_Forever

That’s incredibly harsh on Lyall.

We had an average squad and he got the absolute best out them.... every player to a man from that squad says it was down to Lyall and his man-management - the belief and confidence he gave them was incredible.

I didn’t rate our chances at going in to 1991-92, and neither did many others based on the attendances vs Port Vale and Middlesbrough, but he made the best of what he had and gave us an unforgettable season.... my most enjoyable ever, even better than the Burley years.

Agreed. We were as mediocre as mediocre could be. Finished 14th the season before and basically had the same squad from that campaign too. Warky's return was a massive help too.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 13:55 - Mar 24 with 795 viewsbraveblue

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 12:49 - Mar 22 by gainsboroughblue

Blowing a 3-0 lead on the opening day at Bristol Rovers.
Narrowly beating Port Vale the following Tuesday in front of 8,000 people.
Going top of the table then being schooled by Glenn Hoddle and Swindon.
Going up to Newcastle on a Tuesday night in the midst of the Benwell riots.
Comical penalty shoot out v Luton in ZDS Cup
Hiding in the Hare and Hounds toilet as Cambridge fans rearranged the inside of pub.
Super Duper David.
Beating Blackburn over the Christmas period.
People cashing in on Dozzell being first goalscorer at Millwall at 16-1.
A bloke in the North Stand clearing the terrace v Bournemouth deciding he was going to take a slash.
5-2 v Pompey.
My Sunday league team kicking off at 8am so we could get to the Liverpool cup tie.
Johnson's header in the replay.
Warky's ovation in the replay.
Some Plymouth player suffering an horrendous injury as Kiwomya scored.
A ridiculous equaliser given against us at Cambridge which saw the ref pelted with batteries and coins.
5 match winning run that saw us go clear at the top.
That comeback against Newcastle and the pitch invasions.
Thompson's winner at Southend. 'He didn't need support at all. He's got the winner'.
Making a right meal of sealing promotion at Sunderland, Bristol City and at home to Grimsby.
Obviously that day at Oxford.
Brighton's pink kit and relegating them a year after they taunted us after their own pitch invasion.
The last season of standing and swaying in the North.
The season highlights video music.
The season highlights videos various pronunciations of 'Kiwomya'.
Drinking in Blackadder and the Boardwalk with the players.
£1.50 a pint.
Having a smoke in the pub.
Tangerine Away Kit.

Hoddle was brilliant that night. Sat as sweeper and hit 40 yard balls all night. Superb.
Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 16:16 - Mar 25 with 749 viewscarlisleaway

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 13:55 - Mar 24 by braveblue

Hoddle was brilliant that night. Sat as sweeper and hit 40 yard balls all night. Superb.

Oh to take me back over the years when we could defend and score.....were we that good or are we harsh on performances over the past few years. Funny how your memory comes back watching those goals go in....we were the lucky ones to see us win leagues and cups, our younger fans do not know what it is like to go on a 5 match winning streak and see how low the gates were even compared to gates in Div 1
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024