Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., 12:25 - Mar 22 with 5775 viewsMaySixth

very interested in TWTDers memories of this season - players, games, management, trips, ups and downs

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 17:12 - Mar 22 with 1621 viewsMaySixth

Our attendance for the first home game of the season was 8,937 v Port Vale.

The Saturday afterwards, at home to Middlesbrough on a Saturday, was 9.822.

I remember Terry Connor scoring for Bristol City at Portman Road when we battered them 4-2.

We had a huge crowd of 20.056 when we lost 1-2 at home to Cambridge with Dublin and Claridge up front for them.

Millwall away was a great day out when we won 3-2 in, from what I remember, cold and wet conditions which we then followed up with a 5-2 smashing of Pompey. I think after those two results were when I thought we had a chance.

We went to Cambridge and got a 1-1 and then went on a brilliant run of five wins which included that sensational win at Southend in a packed and passionate away end.

Oxford away descended into a huge night on the booze before beating Brighton on the last game and watching from the Churchmans and running on the pitch

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 17:16 - Mar 22 with 1616 viewsMaySixth

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 17:12 - Mar 22 by MaySixth

I remember Terry Connor scoring for Bristol City at Portman Road when we battered them 4-2.

We had a huge crowd of 20.056 when we lost 1-2 at home to Cambridge with Dublin and Claridge up front for them.

Millwall away was a great day out when we won 3-2 in, from what I remember, cold and wet conditions which we then followed up with a 5-2 smashing of Pompey. I think after those two results were when I thought we had a chance.

We went to Cambridge and got a 1-1 and then went on a brilliant run of five wins which included that sensational win at Southend in a packed and passionate away end.

Oxford away descended into a huge night on the booze before beating Brighton on the last game and watching from the Churchmans and running on the pitch

Bristol Rovers away on the first day was a good day out.
Pretty sure the NF were about and handing out leaflets behind the away end.

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 17:24 - Mar 22 with 1604 viewsRadlett_blue

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 17:12 - Mar 22 by MaySixth

Those crowd figures are rather sobering.
I don't have the rose tinted view of Lyall shared by some fans. I think while he wasn't a bad coach, he lucked out to some extent with the emergence of Dozzell & Kiwomya making the difference to a decidedly average Town team. most of his subsequent transfer dealings were those of a man who had lost the plot completely & wasn't too bothered e.g. handing over team affairs to Mc Given.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 17:50 - Mar 22 with 1579 viewsITFC_Forever

It was 17k when we lost to Cambridge.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 17:50 - Mar 22 with 1576 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Singing "You,ve been fcking Tangoed" at opposition fans at away games.

Was living in Warwickshire at the time, did some miles and hours driving to the majority of the matches. No A14 after Cambridge back then.

After the away game at Oxford, went out with a few of my Brummie supporting mates in Stratford on Avon. There were a surprising amount of fellow Town fans in the pubs there that night. Got very p1ssed indeed.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 19:03 - Mar 22 with 1545 viewsFifeITFC

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 13:43 - Mar 22 by Pendejo

Deciding to play Saturday football
Catching the midweek games only - i can be seen at front of the North on the season's highlights video. Purple sweatshirt and baseball cap
Tuning into Orwell at the end of games all across Suffolk
Blackburn Rivers at home, biggest crowd for years... 18,000
Bunking off from playing starting with Derby home and a Dozzell brace, Newcastle home
Going to Bristol City and getting taught a lesson by the teenaged Andy Coleh
Almost crashing my car twice when first Whitton at Watford then Thompson at Southend scored late winners
Grimsby home Dozzell hitting the post
That magnificent day at the Manor Ground
Getting the season's highlights video - sooperdooper Dave and yes that music

All that and being 23 years old

I'm sure Cambridge at home earlier in the season was bigger?

Just checked:
9th November vs Cambridge 20,586
28th December vs Blackburn 17,675
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 19:06]

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 19:10 - Mar 22 with 1536 viewsFifeITFC

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 17:50 - Mar 22 by ITFC_Forever

It was 17k when we lost to Cambridge.

https://flic.kr/p/2iGGeQD

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 20:05 - Mar 22 with 1502 viewsStNeotsBlue

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 12:49 - Mar 22 by gainsboroughblue

Blowing a 3-0 lead on the opening day at Bristol Rovers.
Narrowly beating Port Vale the following Tuesday in front of 8,000 people.
Going top of the table then being schooled by Glenn Hoddle and Swindon.
Going up to Newcastle on a Tuesday night in the midst of the Benwell riots.
Comical penalty shoot out v Luton in ZDS Cup
Hiding in the Hare and Hounds toilet as Cambridge fans rearranged the inside of pub.
Super Duper David.
Beating Blackburn over the Christmas period.
People cashing in on Dozzell being first goalscorer at Millwall at 16-1.
A bloke in the North Stand clearing the terrace v Bournemouth deciding he was going to take a slash.
5-2 v Pompey.
My Sunday league team kicking off at 8am so we could get to the Liverpool cup tie.
Johnson's header in the replay.
Warky's ovation in the replay.
Some Plymouth player suffering an horrendous injury as Kiwomya scored.
A ridiculous equaliser given against us at Cambridge which saw the ref pelted with batteries and coins.
5 match winning run that saw us go clear at the top.
That comeback against Newcastle and the pitch invasions.
Thompson's winner at Southend. 'He didn't need support at all. He's got the winner'.
Making a right meal of sealing promotion at Sunderland, Bristol City and at home to Grimsby.
Obviously that day at Oxford.
Brighton's pink kit and relegating them a year after they taunted us after their own pitch invasion.
The last season of standing and swaying in the North.
The season highlights video music.
The season highlights videos various pronunciations of 'Kiwomya'.
Drinking in Blackadder and the Boardwalk with the players.
£1.50 a pint.
Having a smoke in the pub.
Tangerine Away Kit.

Probably my favourite season, I was 17 my mate had just passed his driving test so a group of us managed to do about 30 games that season. Millwall, Cambridge (not the result just a great day out), Southend and Oxford away were highlights.

The Cambridge lot who kicked off at Ipswich were local Chelsea headhunters on a day out.
Login to get fewer ads

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 20:18 - Mar 22 with 1495 viewsMaySixth

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 17:24 - Mar 22 by Radlett_blue

Those crowd figures are rather sobering.
I don't have the rose tinted view of Lyall shared by some fans. I think while he wasn't a bad coach, he lucked out to some extent with the emergence of Dozzell & Kiwomya making the difference to a decidedly average Town team. most of his subsequent transfer dealings were those of a man who had lost the plot completely & wasn't too bothered e.g. handing over team affairs to Mc Given.

Loved Lyall

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 20:19 - Mar 22 with 1495 viewsMaySixth

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 16:19 - Mar 22 by blueysbackside

Also....I am sure we were grateful to David Lowe for us going up. Didn’t he go on loan somewhere and ended up scoring against one or two of the teams who were fighting us for promotion?

Port Vale

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 20:36 - Mar 22 with 1477 viewsITFC_Forever

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 20:05 - Mar 22 by StNeotsBlue

Probably my favourite season, I was 17 my mate had just passed his driving test so a group of us managed to do about 30 games that season. Millwall, Cambridge (not the result just a great day out), Southend and Oxford away were highlights.

The Cambridge lot who kicked off at Ipswich were local Chelsea headhunters on a day out.

Thought they were Budgies on a day out as they didn’t have a game that day?

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 21:34 - Mar 22 with 1445 viewsRadlett_blue

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 20:19 - Mar 22 by MaySixth

Port Vale

Lowe was an excellent player - probably John Duncan's best signing - but he wasn't quite the same after getting an ACL injury & I think we did well to get £200k from Leicester for him.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 21:59 - Mar 22 with 1421 viewsITFC_Forever

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 19:10 - Mar 22 by FifeITFC

https://flic.kr/p/2iGGeQD

Bloody hell, so it was.

Could have sworn the attendance for the Cambridge home game was 17k.

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 22:02 - Mar 22 with 1420 viewsazuremerlangus

Bristol City away - lived in Plymouth at the time so an easy trip.

Exposed away end from what I remember and a certain Andy Cole scoring for them.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 22:31 - Mar 22 with 1399 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 21:34 - Mar 22 by Radlett_blue

Lowe was an excellent player - probably John Duncan's best signing - but he wasn't quite the same after getting an ACL injury & I think we did well to get £200k from Leicester for him.

Spot on. Chris Whyte did a bad foul on him against WBA. He came back to eventually play in the Prem with Leicester but he was only ever 70% the player he was beforehand.

Without a doubt John Duncan's best signing. £80,000 from Wigan.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 22:36 - Mar 22 with 1387 viewsStNeotsBlue

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 20:36 - Mar 22 by ITFC_Forever

Thought they were Budgies on a day out as they didn’t have a game that day?

Quite possibly. But there was definitely a Chelsea group there as well I ended up working with a couple of them a few years later and it is fair to say they enjoyed their day out.
Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 01:05 - Mar 23 with 1353 viewsFifeITFC

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 21:59 - Mar 22 by ITFC_Forever

Bloody hell, so it was.

Could have sworn the attendance for the Cambridge home game was 17k.

I can remember it feeling so much more crowded than I was used to, which is why it always stuck in my mind.

I'll never forget that FA Cup game away at Anfield and being sat 5 rows back right behind Gavin Johnson's header. Walking out of the ground and getting friendly handshakes from the Liverpool fans.

Always remember Gav's goal at Grimsby too. The mental start to the Pompey home game where we went 3-1 in the first 18 minutes. Then the Derby home game where it really felt like we were on the way to promotion.

The Southend away game was pretty magical for both Whelan's and then Thommo's late winner. Then the excellent Newcastle win before heading to Sunderland in midweek and getting pumped 3-0 in the pouring rain.

Of course, the Oxford and Brighton games need no mention, great occasions to be on the pitch at full time.

Happy days...

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 04:27 - Mar 23 with 1337 viewsBluespeed225

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 22:36 - Mar 22 by StNeotsBlue

Quite possibly. But there was definitely a Chelsea group there as well I ended up working with a couple of them a few years later and it is fair to say they enjoyed their day out.

it was only the Hare and Hounds that copped it. if theyd done their homework they'd have known the Adder was a more newsworthy target!
Newcastle game really hit home that we could do it against the new money at Blackburn. Keegan had just taken over and kept them up. i'm seen in the North on Match of The Week accidently punching my mate in the jaw during the celebrations!
Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 09:34 - Mar 23 with 1290 viewsElephantintheRoom

Chris Kiwomya's skipping celebration behind the goal when he socred.

The surprising success of steve whitton as a lumbering winger with thunderous cross

Winning the title without a proven central striker..... dozzel sort of filled in alongside kiwomya

Finding out that experiencing aa draw at the manor ground could be a joyous event

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 10:19 - Mar 23 with 1269 viewsIPS_wich

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 12:49 - Mar 22 by gainsboroughblue

Blowing a 3-0 lead on the opening day at Bristol Rovers.
Narrowly beating Port Vale the following Tuesday in front of 8,000 people.
Going top of the table then being schooled by Glenn Hoddle and Swindon.
Going up to Newcastle on a Tuesday night in the midst of the Benwell riots.
Comical penalty shoot out v Luton in ZDS Cup
Hiding in the Hare and Hounds toilet as Cambridge fans rearranged the inside of pub.
Super Duper David.
Beating Blackburn over the Christmas period.
People cashing in on Dozzell being first goalscorer at Millwall at 16-1.
A bloke in the North Stand clearing the terrace v Bournemouth deciding he was going to take a slash.
5-2 v Pompey.
My Sunday league team kicking off at 8am so we could get to the Liverpool cup tie.
Johnson's header in the replay.
Warky's ovation in the replay.
Some Plymouth player suffering an horrendous injury as Kiwomya scored.
A ridiculous equaliser given against us at Cambridge which saw the ref pelted with batteries and coins.
5 match winning run that saw us go clear at the top.
That comeback against Newcastle and the pitch invasions.
Thompson's winner at Southend. 'He didn't need support at all. He's got the winner'.
Making a right meal of sealing promotion at Sunderland, Bristol City and at home to Grimsby.
Obviously that day at Oxford.
Brighton's pink kit and relegating them a year after they taunted us after their own pitch invasion.
The last season of standing and swaying in the North.
The season highlights video music.
The season highlights videos various pronunciations of 'Kiwomya'.
Drinking in Blackadder and the Boardwalk with the players.
£1.50 a pint.
Having a smoke in the pub.
Tangerine Away Kit.

I think you covered almost all of it - but missed big Phil Whelan scoring two towering headers in his first two league games of his career. I don't think he ever scored for us again!!

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 10:57 - Mar 23 with 1251 viewsFifeITFC

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 11:09 - Mar 23 with 1228 viewsFifeITFC

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 11:10 - Mar 23 with 1226 viewsFifeITFC

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 18:37 - Mar 23 with 1150 viewsMaySixth

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 11:10 - Mar 23 by FifeITFC

TWTD

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 19:27 - Mar 23 with 1129 viewsEnigma_Blue

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 16:23 - Mar 22 by blueysbackside

Just had a quick look at the results that season. Pretty sure I was at the 2-1 home defeat v Cambridge. Pretty sure they had a certain Dion Dublin up front alongside Steve Claridge with his socks around his ankles. And didn’t former Blue Michael Cheetham play for them, too? Their manager John Beck was quite a character - cold showers and all that

Didn't Beck also get the ground staff to heavily water the 4 corners of their pitch so after their goalkeeper or defenders hoofed the ball forward it would slow up quicker allowing their wingers to get there before the ball went out of play to whip in a cross?
Or am I thinking of someone else?
[Post edited 23 Mar 2020 19:57]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024