Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Things that have been got rid of against much opposition 10:23 - Feb 13 with 6001 viewsGeoffSentence

And looking back now seem utterly bizarre

Different wage scales specifically for women
Stubble burning
Not wearing a setbelt
Smoking in public
Sexist motor insurance rates

All of them were fought against vigorously by backward looking people and they have all been good to get rid of.

What's next?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 17:43 - Feb 13 with 1197 viewsHARRY10

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 14:30 - Feb 13 by Oxford_Blue

Smoking in public isn’t unlawful - just inside.

And why is this a good thing? If smokers want to go to a club’s smoking room, and smoke cigars after dinner, and the staff working there consent, why was this outlawed??

Yo u 'righties' really are clueless at times. One of the driving forces behind a ban was liability.

Companies as well as the government were becoming aware that at some point in the future they could be liable for failing in their legal 'duty of care' So whatever club you are imagining they, or the premises they rent. would be liable. A 'waiver' is absurd as the duty would still be on those who employed them.

Sadly as with much 'rightie' speak it is motivated by a sense of 'injustice' rather than any grasp of the real world.

What to most is insurance companies not willing to cover the risk or being to costly to atke on the risk is in 'rightie' language the nanny state.

Ensuring that all staff are treated equally is deemed as political correctnees (gone made) - especially when the story has been filtered through the Mail or the Sun

As can be seen below

the real question is not that Tory rags should peddle such nonsense, but that outwardly sane looking folk should not only believe such luficrous old tosh, but actually regurgitate it

have a browse, there's some incredible stuff that the 'righties' have believed, and still do

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2017/12/05/see-20-years-of-fake-news-about-eu-by-
Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 17:53 - Feb 13 with 1181 viewsBlueBadger

Bans on gay people marrying. Lest we forget, over half the parliamentary Conservative party(the largest party in parliament at the time) voted against it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 18:12 - Feb 13 with 1171 viewsbrazil1982

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 17:53 - Feb 13 by BlueBadger

Bans on gay people marrying. Lest we forget, over half the parliamentary Conservative party(the largest party in parliament at the time) voted against it.

Was there ever a "ban" as such? Did those MPs vote against this "ban"?
Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 18:29 - Feb 13 with 1156 viewseireblue

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 18:12 - Feb 13 by brazil1982

Yes. Marriage was explicitly defined as between a man and a women, by the relevant legislation, marriages not meeting that criteria would be annulled, and not have any legal standing.

Those not voting for the new act, were voting to maintain that ban.
Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 20:25 - Feb 13 with 1124 viewsWeWereZombies

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 17:18 - Feb 13 by Kropotkin123

"cover your mouth" - If only there was something you could use to cover your mouth, which isn't going to be used to touch everything else...

Ahem, that's where the washing your hands bit comes in...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 20:37 - Feb 13 with 1105 viewsjeera

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 18:12 - Feb 13 by brazil1982

"Was there ever a ban on same sex marriage?"

Or have I misread that?
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 23:47]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 21:40 - Feb 13 with 1074 viewsjaykay

seeing wild animals having to preform in circuses.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 21:49 - Feb 13 with 1060 viewsWeWereZombies

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 17:11 - Feb 13 by noggin

Well the WHO recommends wearing a mask so I’ll take their advice if I’m in contact with anyone infected.

Wear a face mask if it gives you comfort but make sure you do the important things, hand washing and catching coughs and sneezes in a paper handkerchief. Also, will you know you have come into contact with someone who is infected before you know they are infected?

Sorry to be uppity on this, and knowing that you have said in other posts that you are ex.services I am not going to accuse you of jumping at your own shadow, but a couple of weeks ago I returned from a month in Japan - where half the people I saw were wearing face masks. It got me wondering, but not enough for the penny to drop until I heard Scotland's Chief Medical Officer or some such on the radio this lunchtime explaining that the coronavirus molecule is one of the smaller virus particles and no face mask is going to contain it either entering or leaving your airwaves. A moment's reflection should have made that obvious, only took me six weeks to get there. It's like a football manager deciding that a goalmouth can be covered by a mannequin on the grounds that it has the same shape as a goalkeeper so none of the opposition strikers will figure out the difference and shoot around it.

On the subject of handwashing another that got to me out East was the rarity of hot water taps in public toilets and restaurants, you probably need boiling water to kill the virus and that would be at the cost of your epidermis but the British recommendations do go for washing in warm water. And using paper handkerchiefs just once and then disposing of them goes against my frugal nature but it is another obvious precaution. I suppose you could also recommend putting on a new face mask and discarding the old one but I did not see any of that going on. I am guessing that the expense of the 'precaution; has most people using them for a day or two at least. And if they are infected then how rich the inside of their face mask is with virus after all that coughing and sneezing into it.

It's been an eye opener, a couple wearing face masks whilst pushing a buggy with a toddler in it not wearing a face mask - surely the most vulnerable member of the family should be the first to wear one (if they were effective), people crammed against each other at counters sitting down to eat and at that point when they are closest to others they pull the face mask under their chin so that they can eat. For an obviously fastidious people there were some surprising inconsistencies.

Login to get fewer ads

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 21:54 - Feb 13 with 1051 viewslowhouseblue

jeremy corbyn

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 21:57 - Feb 13 with 1034 viewsGeoffSentence

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 21:54 - Feb 13 by lowhouseblue

jeremy corbyn

Booooooo, that's spoling the spirit of the thread. Shame on you Lowie.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 21:58 - Feb 13 with 1032 viewsHARRY10

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 21:40 - Feb 13 by jaykay

seeing wild animals having to preform in circuses.

allowing women

to vote

not having to have their husbands permission to take out credit (hire purchase)

single women to be prescribed the pill

all things we take for granted now, but did upset a fair few mysonginists at bigots at the time

and as its Valentine's Day a few on here won't lose anything by remembering these ... and so having something positive to say tomorrow night - might deliver the 'goods' more than a few roses will

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 06:58 - Feb 14 with 954 viewsKropotkin123

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 20:25 - Feb 13 by WeWereZombies

Ahem, that's where the washing your hands bit comes in...

As if people, however well intentioned, are getting up and washing their hands every time they cough. Looking around the DLR right now, and I see a distinct lack of sinks.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 07:18 - Feb 14 with 941 viewsKropotkin123

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 21:49 - Feb 13 by WeWereZombies

Wear a face mask if it gives you comfort but make sure you do the important things, hand washing and catching coughs and sneezes in a paper handkerchief. Also, will you know you have come into contact with someone who is infected before you know they are infected?

Sorry to be uppity on this, and knowing that you have said in other posts that you are ex.services I am not going to accuse you of jumping at your own shadow, but a couple of weeks ago I returned from a month in Japan - where half the people I saw were wearing face masks. It got me wondering, but not enough for the penny to drop until I heard Scotland's Chief Medical Officer or some such on the radio this lunchtime explaining that the coronavirus molecule is one of the smaller virus particles and no face mask is going to contain it either entering or leaving your airwaves. A moment's reflection should have made that obvious, only took me six weeks to get there. It's like a football manager deciding that a goalmouth can be covered by a mannequin on the grounds that it has the same shape as a goalkeeper so none of the opposition strikers will figure out the difference and shoot around it.

On the subject of handwashing another that got to me out East was the rarity of hot water taps in public toilets and restaurants, you probably need boiling water to kill the virus and that would be at the cost of your epidermis but the British recommendations do go for washing in warm water. And using paper handkerchiefs just once and then disposing of them goes against my frugal nature but it is another obvious precaution. I suppose you could also recommend putting on a new face mask and discarding the old one but I did not see any of that going on. I am guessing that the expense of the 'precaution; has most people using them for a day or two at least. And if they are infected then how rich the inside of their face mask is with virus after all that coughing and sneezing into it.

It's been an eye opener, a couple wearing face masks whilst pushing a buggy with a toddler in it not wearing a face mask - surely the most vulnerable member of the family should be the first to wear one (if they were effective), people crammed against each other at counters sitting down to eat and at that point when they are closest to others they pull the face mask under their chin so that they can eat. For an obviously fastidious people there were some surprising inconsistencies.

From living in Korea for 2 years, i got exposure to the mentality of wearing masks.

If you are sick, you wear a mask, this is to reduce (not eliminate) the chances of you spreading germs to other non-infected people.

So it isn't just about catching it, it is about not spreading it if you are unknowingly carrying it.

The masks, as I've previously implied are not just about eliminating air born contamination, but also touch. Touch a contaminated object, touch your mouth and you are infected. Not the case with a mask, there is a added level of protection, even if it is a small percent.

The advice that we are given is pretty silly. We argue that masks do nothing, but tissues that are more porous are some how going to save the day.

Warm water, as you suggest, does nothing. This has been proven across many scenarios - such as washing dishes.

All viruses are tiny. Way smaller than bacteria, so you would need a super advanced filter to eliminate viruses (which masks dont provide).

The majority aren't stupid, they understand masks arent perfect. But I do feel that a lot of people in non-asian countries don't understand why Asian cultures think they are cleaner think tissues for example.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 07:42 - Feb 14 with 930 viewsWeWereZombies

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 07:18 - Feb 14 by Kropotkin123

From living in Korea for 2 years, i got exposure to the mentality of wearing masks.

If you are sick, you wear a mask, this is to reduce (not eliminate) the chances of you spreading germs to other non-infected people.

So it isn't just about catching it, it is about not spreading it if you are unknowingly carrying it.

The masks, as I've previously implied are not just about eliminating air born contamination, but also touch. Touch a contaminated object, touch your mouth and you are infected. Not the case with a mask, there is a added level of protection, even if it is a small percent.

The advice that we are given is pretty silly. We argue that masks do nothing, but tissues that are more porous are some how going to save the day.

Warm water, as you suggest, does nothing. This has been proven across many scenarios - such as washing dishes.

All viruses are tiny. Way smaller than bacteria, so you would need a super advanced filter to eliminate viruses (which masks dont provide).

The majority aren't stupid, they understand masks arent perfect. But I do feel that a lot of people in non-asian countries don't understand why Asian cultures think they are cleaner think tissues for example.

I would still say that the hand behind the tissue catches what the tissue does not and this, no doubt, is the reason for the British preference of the method over the mask. But hand washing, even in cold water, is the essential part. It does surprise me that there has been no great advocacy for the anti-bacterial sprays that are so prevalent in hospitals as a prophylactic against norovirus and other infections (that are more difficult to recall and spell). Cost and convenience may play a part here.

I get what you say about Asian culture , and indeed in hospital theatres masks and gowns are essential (I do remember reading a Medecins Sans Frontieres leaflet describing the necessary precautions surrounding medical personnel operating in areas struck down with ebola and the extreme disciplines on gowning up before and after as well as that other essential of fastidious washing) but I have serious concerns about the sense of false security it brings in everyday life. If wearing masks means that people ignore, forget or think that other measures are not required, that the mask is a 'magic bullet' of protection, then they could be more trouble than they are worth. It is impossible to measure post event what effect masks have had (and there is an element of either everyone should be wearing one or what use are they?) but the virus is still spreading despite the large uptake.

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 12:46 - Feb 23 with 791 viewsWeWereZombies

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 17:11 - Feb 13 by noggin

Well the WHO recommends wearing a mask so I’ll take their advice if I’m in contact with anyone infected.

Just an update on this (as I have noticed an Al Jazeera news item criticising the WHO for not responding soon enough) but the WHO advice is that you do not need to wear a face mask unless you are caring for someone with COVID-19 or are coughing and sneezing. Much the same advice as our own health authorities advice I posted:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-publi

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 12:54 - Feb 23 with 790 viewspointofblue

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 11:02 - Feb 13 by BackToRussia

From 86 to 2003 you couldn't mention homosexuality in schools, by law. Good old Tories.

The biggest surprise there is it took Labour six years to get rid of the abysmal law?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 15:34 - Feb 23 with 766 viewsWeWereZombies

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 12:54 - Feb 23 by pointofblue

The biggest surprise there is it took Labour six years to get rid of the abysmal law?

Yes but in those first hundred days surely setting out the case against fox hunting was so much more important...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024