Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So Boris Johnson lied about his Brexit deal? 18:54 - Feb 10 with 4225 viewsDubtractor

Apparently this was fake news, on this occasion, so I've edited.

[Post edited 11 Feb 2020 8:08]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

So Boris Johnson lied about his Brexit deal? on 23:04 - Feb 10 with 1051 viewsChurchman

So Boris Johnson lied about his Brexit deal? on 22:46 - Feb 10 by jeera

" journalists are spewing at the moment."

At the moment?

You mean, have been throughout.

My mistake. I should have said throughout, as I know categorically that’s the case.
So Boris Johnson lied about his Brexit deal? on 08:07 - Feb 11 with 968 viewsDubtractor

So Boris Johnson lied about his Brexit deal? on 19:47 - Feb 10 by Ftnfwest

The first article relates to goods travelling between Northern Ireland and Great Britain while the second one is about EU goods coming into the UK.

Is this genuine fake news?

If so I'll edit the OP as I'm not down with that.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

So Boris Johnson lied about his Brexit deal? on 08:30 - Feb 11 with 948 viewsLord_Lucan

So Boris Johnson lied about his Brexit deal? on 08:07 - Feb 11 by Dubtractor

You're a proper poster Dubby.

The real deal!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

So Boris Johnson lied about his Brexit deal? on 08:33 - Feb 11 with 942 viewsHerbivore

So Boris Johnson lied about his Brexit deal? on 19:47 - Feb 10 by Ftnfwest

The first article relates to goods travelling between Northern Ireland and Great Britain while the second one is about EU goods coming into the UK.

Given there will be no border infrastructure on the island of Ireland, where do you think border checks on goods coming into Great Britain from Ireland will take place? There will be a de facto border down the Irish Sea. To maintain the integrity of both borders this will mean checks on goods moving between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So Boris Johnson lied about his Brexit deal? on 09:01 - Feb 11 with 921 viewsSwansea_Blue

So Boris Johnson lied about his Brexit deal? on 19:15 - Feb 10 by m14_blue

The weird thing is that the people who actually fell for the lie won’t care one bit.

They ‘won’ and that’s all they care about, even if it was all based on sand.

They're all championing this wonderful idea of the freeports we can have now that we're 'independent'. Despite not realising that there are 10s of them in EU states already and we had them until the coalition got rid of them in 2012.

Information and facts have no chance in the face of the stream of propaganda coming out of number 10.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So Boris Johnson lied about his Brexit deal? on 09:31 - Feb 11 with 900 viewsSwansea_Blue

I can't remember what your specific opening post was, but BJ did lie about his deal.

In December he categorically denied they would be border checks between NI and Britain (despite it being common knowledge there would have to be) - https://www.itv.com/news/2019-12-08/boris-johnson-insists-no-brexit-checks-betwe

People at this recent meeting with Gove have been reported as saying that "light-touch administration" is now planned between NI & GB, contrary to BJ's public promises. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-10/u-k-s-gove-warns-industry-to-

The government is also reneging on promises that it would offer a grace period of preferential treatment to EU trade in the event of no deal.

All on the assumption that these reports are right.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So Boris Johnson lied about his Brexit deal? on 14:02 - Feb 11 with 840 viewsHARRY10

So Boris Johnson lied about his Brexit deal? on 09:31 - Feb 11 by Swansea_Blue

I can't remember what your specific opening post was, but BJ did lie about his deal.

In December he categorically denied they would be border checks between NI and Britain (despite it being common knowledge there would have to be) - https://www.itv.com/news/2019-12-08/boris-johnson-insists-no-brexit-checks-betwe

People at this recent meeting with Gove have been reported as saying that "light-touch administration" is now planned between NI & GB, contrary to BJ's public promises. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-10/u-k-s-gove-warns-industry-to-

The government is also reneging on promises that it would offer a grace period of preferential treatment to EU trade in the event of no deal.

All on the assumption that these reports are right.

What is now becoming more apparent, almost by the day, is what Remain have said for the past 4 years is correct.

You other align your goods with the EU to get frictionless trade, or you diverge and face umpteen tarrifs and checks.

The problem with the first is the US will not accept the UK sticking to safe food regulations and a host of other measures to protect consumers.

Whereas the latter would fit with the US, but would mean huge costs borne by the UK. Which in order to remain competitive the UK will need to cut production costs ie wages, safety, medical (NHS) and so much else that costs - police, schools, social services....etc

Unfortunately it was easy for charlatans to lie about this and claim all manner of nonsense based on patently obvious lies

Of course cynics might suggest that many in the Tory party knew this and merely played on voters stupidity by using this as a means to get elected. Once elected this nonsense would get dismantled by the simple expedient of pushing for the impossible - thereby being able to claim it was the fault of other (EU) when it falls apart.

As if such naughty behaviousr could be part of politics
[Post edited 11 Feb 2020 14:28]
So Boris Johnson lied about his Brexit deal? on 17:18 - Feb 11 with 795 viewsHARRY10

This is what they were told (and believed)

'"Within two years, before the negotiation with the EU is likely to be complete, and therefore before anything material has changed, we can negotiate a free trade area massively larger than the EU … The new trade agreements will come into force at the point of exit, but they will be fully negotiated" David Davis, 14 July 2016

"The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history" Liam Fox, 20 July 2017

"The UK is currently implementing a new customs declaration service, which will replace the existing HMRC customs system. This is a high-priority project within government and HMRC is on track to deliver by January 2019" Dept for Exiting the EU, 15 August 2017 {/b}

All of which were lies - on the basis it was known that none of this was possible. There is no suitable infrastructure ar Dover and the necessary means of processing checks is at least 5 years away.

And today we are warned

"Shoppers have been warned to expect price hikes and shortages of fresh fruit and vegetables.

The British Retail Consortium (BRC) hit out after the government admitted traders will face multiple border checks on almost all goods from January — even if a no-deal Brexit is avoided. Andrew Opie, the BRC’s director of food, said higher prices and some empty supermarket shelves were the inevitable consequences, without a dramatic upgrade of channel ports."

Which we will inevitably be met with cries of 'project fear'...... if only that all other warnings have been proved correct so brexiteers must get it right... at some point.

As said this is only the beginning - so sit back and watch as reality hits harder and harder.
Login to get fewer ads

So Boris Johnson lied about his Brexit deal? on 16:39 - Feb 12 with 748 viewsHARRY10

So Boris Johnson lied about his Brexit deal? on 17:18 - Feb 11 by HARRY10

This is what they were told (and believed)

'"Within two years, before the negotiation with the EU is likely to be complete, and therefore before anything material has changed, we can negotiate a free trade area massively larger than the EU … The new trade agreements will come into force at the point of exit, but they will be fully negotiated" David Davis, 14 July 2016

"The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history" Liam Fox, 20 July 2017

"The UK is currently implementing a new customs declaration service, which will replace the existing HMRC customs system. This is a high-priority project within government and HMRC is on track to deliver by January 2019" Dept for Exiting the EU, 15 August 2017 {/b}

All of which were lies - on the basis it was known that none of this was possible. There is no suitable infrastructure ar Dover and the necessary means of processing checks is at least 5 years away.

And today we are warned

"Shoppers have been warned to expect price hikes and shortages of fresh fruit and vegetables.

The British Retail Consortium (BRC) hit out after the government admitted traders will face multiple border checks on almost all goods from January — even if a no-deal Brexit is avoided. Andrew Opie, the BRC’s director of food, said higher prices and some empty supermarket shelves were the inevitable consequences, without a dramatic upgrade of channel ports."

Which we will inevitably be met with cries of 'project fear'...... if only that all other warnings have been proved correct so brexiteers must get it right... at some point.

As said this is only the beginning - so sit back and watch as reality hits harder and harder.

Another day another brexit failure

'The vote today in the European parliament for its resolution on the UK-EU trade talks means there will be no special treatment for the City of London'

The time for special treatment of the UK is over.

The British government’s attempt to give its London financial centre permanent and comprehensive access to the European financial system for decades is audacious. The EU will not let the decision as to which British financial market rules are compatible with European rules be taken out of its hands. Equivalence is not a permanent subscription, but a revocable privilege.

What already applies to all countries outside the single market will also apply to Britain. If the United Kingdom deviates from the European rules, it must expect to lose access to the European financial market.

Meanwhile the simpletons who endlessly bleat about British fishing would do well to read -

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-fishers-fisherman-fisheries-fishing-

or perhaps not given their aversion to reality and facts

not looking good is it ?
So Boris Johnson lied about his Brexit deal? on 12:03 - Feb 13 with 695 viewsHARRY10

So Boris Johnson lied about his Brexit deal? on 16:39 - Feb 12 by HARRY10

Another day another brexit failure

'The vote today in the European parliament for its resolution on the UK-EU trade talks means there will be no special treatment for the City of London'

The time for special treatment of the UK is over.

The British government’s attempt to give its London financial centre permanent and comprehensive access to the European financial system for decades is audacious. The EU will not let the decision as to which British financial market rules are compatible with European rules be taken out of its hands. Equivalence is not a permanent subscription, but a revocable privilege.

What already applies to all countries outside the single market will also apply to Britain. If the United Kingdom deviates from the European rules, it must expect to lose access to the European financial market.

Meanwhile the simpletons who endlessly bleat about British fishing would do well to read -

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-fishers-fisherman-fisheries-fishing-

or perhaps not given their aversion to reality and facts

not looking good is it ?

Not for his cabinet as his Chancellor has just resigned

Rats and sinking ship spring to mind, methinks
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024