Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where to live in the UK? 13:59 - Jan 23 with 33718 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I've no idea where I would like to live once I graduate from university next summer with my degree in physiotherapy. I'll be 29 when I finish, and I'm completely disillusioned with this country.

I've not travelled much in the UK (the only major cities I've been to are London, Birmingham, and Leeds). I'm aware this will therefore sound quite ignorant, but is there anywhere in the UK which is really that 'nice'? Can't say I've been bowled over by anywhere I've been so far.

To give you an idea of what sort of place I like on a purely aesthetic level. The most recent city I visited was Vancouver, which I absolutely loved.

In terms of what I would want, the main criterion is somewhere with a large population therefore creating many social opportunities. But it also has to feel open and friendly, as well as being aesthetically pleasing.

Does anywhere like this even exist in this country or am I going to have to go overseas for the type of thing I am looking for? If so then my qualification should open doors.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 14:00]

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Where to live in the UK? on 16:11 - Jan 27 with 1155 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

London
Where to live in the UK? on 18:51 - Jan 27 with 1112 viewsNewcyBlue

Where to live in the UK? on 15:16 - Jan 27 by SaleAway

Its considerably wetter than the south-east.... I moved up here having grown up near Stansted, and lived in London for a bit after Uni. I love it up here, but the weather is noticeably worse than south-east....

Of course, that’s due to the Atlantic Ocean and how the weather moves around the world.

Weather systems generally move easterly, hence why the east coast of the U.K. is drier than the west coast.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Where to live in the UK? on 19:00 - Jan 27 with 1105 viewsMullet

Where to live in the UK? on 16:02 - Jan 27 by Darth_Koont

The South East is certainly drier.

Think Mullet's point is that Manchester has the reputation that you could extend to many other towns and cities outside that.

It appears that Cardiff, Glasgow and Leeds are generally wetter. And Manchester's very similar to Bristol (which is only really talked about as wet by the locals).

No this is TWTD. I definitely said it's been renamed Ashton upon Gobi up here instead of Ashton under Lyne.

Plus anyone who grew up in the beautiful Waveney valley will have been hardened over the years by the North Sea wind whipping across the plains of Blythburgh and the like.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Where to live in the UK? on 19:04 - Jan 27 with 1099 viewsjeera

Where to live in the UK? on 13:02 - Jan 27 by ThisIsMyUsername

Glad to see I started such an interesting discussion. Thanks to everyone who has posted. Lots of ideas for me to consider when the time comes.

I'm amazed no one has at least suggested the outskirts of Croydon.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Where to live in the UK? on 19:11 - Jan 27 with 1088 viewsParisBlue

Where to live in the UK? on 16:02 - Jan 27 by Darth_Koont

The South East is certainly drier.

Think Mullet's point is that Manchester has the reputation that you could extend to many other towns and cities outside that.

It appears that Cardiff, Glasgow and Leeds are generally wetter. And Manchester's very similar to Bristol (which is only really talked about as wet by the locals).

It certainly does rain a lot in Cardiff but that aside I think it’s a great place, I prefer it to Bristol for sure...

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Where to live in the UK? on 19:56 - Jan 27 with 1044 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Where to live in the UK? on 19:04 - Jan 27 by jeera

I'm amazed no one has at least suggested the outskirts of Croydon.

Or a cottage in the Ardennes.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Where to live in the UK? on 20:06 - Jan 27 with 1027 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Your young move abroad, you can always move back but you may not have the opportunities to move abroad again.
Where to live in the UK? on 20:18 - Jan 27 with 1005 viewsjeera

Where to live in the UK? on 19:56 - Jan 27 by ThisIsMyUsername

Or a cottage in the Ardennes.

A flat in Barcelona it is then.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Where to live in the UK? on 13:50 - Jan 28 with 852 viewsGeoffSentence

Where to live in the UK? on 15:50 - Jan 24 by brazil1982

FWIW I have travelled extensively in the UK and I would recommend:

York, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Cambridge, Glasgow. I work in Manchester, loads going on here.

Not Bath?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024