Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our style of football 23:54 - Jan 9 with 2748 viewsFTP

Do you still enjoy watching, is it exciting, is it worth your expense and effort? I am honestly in limbo for the first time in 30+ years. Is it just me or any others thinking of bailing for a bit?
Our style of football on 12:32 - Jan 10 with 487 viewsHerbivore

Our style of football on 12:14 - Jan 10 by Chrisd

It doesn't say much when you are bad mouthing other L1 sides and we're struggling to beat them or even losing to some of them. To me, doesn't that equate to us being a pub side ourselves? This is the thing I find laughable, we seem to have this high opinion of ourselves and in reality what we are producing on the pitch is very much in-keeping with the league we are currently playing. We really aren't superior, 23 games, slowly sliding down the league under a manager that is clueless should highlight that fact.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2020 12:23]

We should have the quality in our squad to be a mediocre side rather than borderline pub side, that's the point. Our on field issues are down to a manager who doesn't seem to know his arse from his elbow. In fact he probably rotates them and ends up sh!tting from his arm.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Our style of football on 12:41 - Jan 10 with 478 viewsChrisd

Our style of football on 12:32 - Jan 10 by Herbivore

We should have the quality in our squad to be a mediocre side rather than borderline pub side, that's the point. Our on field issues are down to a manager who doesn't seem to know his arse from his elbow. In fact he probably rotates them and ends up sh!tting from his arm.

I agree with you about PL's managerial nous, but if our players are as good as you keep suggesting I'm expecting more from them on the pitch. I see little evidence of it sadly.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2020 12:45]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Our style of football on 12:44 - Jan 10 with 472 viewsBramidan

Our style of football on 07:35 - Jan 10 by bobbyramsey

This took me back, Manor Ballroom on Friday, town Saturday, Matthews Baths sat night sometimes!
Our style of football on 12:45 - Jan 10 with 466 viewsHerbivore

Our style of football on 12:41 - Jan 10 by Chrisd

I agree with you about PL's managerial nous, but if our players are as good as you keep suggesting I'm expecting more from them on the pitch. I see little evidence of it sadly.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2020 12:45]

Have you considered that us fielding 30+ line ups in 30+ games might be impacting on how cohesive the team looks?

Our style of football on 12:48 - Jan 10 with 454 viewsChrisd

Our style of football on 12:45 - Jan 10 by Herbivore

Have you considered that us fielding 30+ line ups in 30+ games might be impacting on how cohesive the team looks?

Fair point. However, 'Good' players can still produce performances regardless of the manager and his ridiculous formation changes, you can still see evidence that they are decent players in the way they play the game. Not sure we have that many good players if I'm being brutally honest.

Our style of football on 12:53 - Jan 10 with 441 viewsHerbivore

Our style of football on 12:48 - Jan 10 by Chrisd

Fair point. However, 'Good' players can still produce performances regardless of the manager and his ridiculous formation changes, you can still see evidence that they are decent players in the way they play the game. Not sure we have that many good players if I'm being brutally honest.

Disagree.

Post of the Day on 13:11 - Jan 10 with 420 viewsunstableblue

Our style of football on 08:17 - Jan 10 by homer_123

Under Hurst and Lambert we can play decent football for a short period of time - 10 to 20 mins but very rarely, do we do this for the majority of a match.

Under Mick - we were dogged, determined and set out not to lose - so, often the football quality was lower but the final result better.

Under Jewell, at least you saw goals, albeit we could win 3 or 4 nil or get stuffed 3 or 4 nil

Keane - 4 centre backs across the back four but, again, at times we could play

Magilton - I would say he's the last manager we had where we actually got the ball down and tried to play - we had an identity.

Royle - we'll score one more than you - it was a blast!

Albeit you could say under Lambert its been 40mins!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Our style of football on 13:14 - Jan 10 with 419 viewslowhouseblue

have to admit with the game tomorrow I find myself thinking of other things I could be doing with a saturday afternoon. i'll still go but without much enthusiasm.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

Our style of football on 13:25 - Jan 10 with 407 viewsChrisd

Our style of football on 12:53 - Jan 10 by Herbivore

Disagree.

Fair enough, that's your view doesn't mean I have to agree with it though and vice versa.

My New Year's Resolution has been to..... on 13:29 - Jan 10 with 399 viewsunstableblue

..... stop taking mates who are not Town fans to games.

It has frankly been 10 years of embarrassing, gutless, energy less performances. Taking people who are not crack addict like blues, gives a frighteningly balanced and unbiased view of Town performances. A critic on your shoulder - looking at you going 'why the f@ck do you pay to watch this'.

I used to get criticism on here that these 'mates' were imaginary, as they seemed to share my view that the football at times under Mick was unwatchable, when of course it really really was.

And this season, before 2020, I took mates to the Rotherham United and the boxing day Gillingham horror shows at Portman Road. So pathetic and embarrassing.

So no more will I subject neutrals to ITFC until we improve (not they'd want to come anyway) I'll go with friends who are similarly addicted. But even they like you are wavering. We used to have a big group that faded during Keane, and was decimated under Mick.

I should say that neutrals at the Blackpool game, and first half against MK Dons were impressed with Town and our style of play. And always how good the Town fans are. But the risk of mediocre play is too great.

Sigh - come Paul,come on lads, lets beat Accrington and GO ON A RUN

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Our style of football on 13:50 - Jan 10 with 389 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Our style of football on 11:02 - Jan 10 by Keaneish

Not seasons, every season has its ups and downs but there have been worse periods of football in my opinion. I think everyone is looking at this season through the microscope of the last 6 games or so, which other than Wycombe have been pretty dross in fairness. I'm not arguing it's great at the moment and far from it but PL's saving grace is that it's not straight league defeats, had it been, he may well have been gone by now, at least, that should have been the case.

John Duncan and Paul Hurst fight it out for worst manager and that hapless 14 game run under Keane and 13 games under Jewell were equally as bad with some massive tonkings to boot Peterborough(!) and Blackpool (!).

This period and the football we've played in the main are not as bad as that in those winless runs in the above mentioned periods. However, should we not return a big point haul from our remaining games in Jan, i may well side with the OP.

It’s not just 6 games - we haven’t won in 8 in the league or 12 in all competitions. Even past that the month prior was poor - in reality the season is split between the first 14 games where we won 10 and the next 19 where we have won 3

Fair point re judging seasons however I’m struggling to think of any that are obviously worse in the short term than the past 2 1/2 months, and longer term I’m absolutely convinced the last year and a half is the worst 18 month spell of supporting Ipswich in my lifetime

So can’t say I’m surprised the people like the OP are reaching their tipping point
[Post edited 10 Jan 2020 13:50]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

My New Year's Resolution has been to..... on 13:50 - Jan 10 with 386 viewsHerbivore

My New Year's Resolution has been to..... on 13:29 - Jan 10 by unstableblue

..... stop taking mates who are not Town fans to games.

It has frankly been 10 years of embarrassing, gutless, energy less performances. Taking people who are not crack addict like blues, gives a frighteningly balanced and unbiased view of Town performances. A critic on your shoulder - looking at you going 'why the f@ck do you pay to watch this'.

I used to get criticism on here that these 'mates' were imaginary, as they seemed to share my view that the football at times under Mick was unwatchable, when of course it really really was.

And this season, before 2020, I took mates to the Rotherham United and the boxing day Gillingham horror shows at Portman Road. So pathetic and embarrassing.

So no more will I subject neutrals to ITFC until we improve (not they'd want to come anyway) I'll go with friends who are similarly addicted. But even they like you are wavering. We used to have a big group that faded during Keane, and was decimated under Mick.

I should say that neutrals at the Blackpool game, and first half against MK Dons were impressed with Town and our style of play. And always how good the Town fans are. But the risk of mediocre play is too great.

Sigh - come Paul,come on lads, lets beat Accrington and GO ON A RUN

Deluded.

Our style of football on 15:13 - Jan 10 with 358 viewsFTP

Some really good responses here. I think not having found a settled team, style and identity and just looking so utterly devoid of ideas at times is what's killing it for me. Its league 1 and not registering shots on goal for long periods or at all plus resorting to MM hit and hope is just sad. When results have come yes that's enjoyable even though we were nicking only 1 goal margins earlier this season and the pre match build up actually going to the match with hope has always been a draw but honestly I thought with the big squad and Lambert we should have been at the top well poised to bounce back and build from there. Unfortunately I fear we are going to be languishing in this league. I just can't see the evidence that PL can sort it and honestly we need a bit more quality in.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024