Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Callis's thread 22:21 - Dec 23 with 3433 viewsPhilTWTD

Have removed it as clearly plenty of posters felt it has crossed a line. Usually let these things stay up if other users are posting contrary views but think it was a bit unnecessarily divisive.
Callis's thread on 08:38 - Dec 24 with 969 viewsartsbossbeard

Callis's thread on 08:13 - Dec 24 by TractorWood

Alright Newcy.

A good look through YouTube and loads of people who are trying to crack into elite running and cycling (Ben Parkes/Vegan cyclist/Ginger runner) are all vegan, seemingly only for its performance benefits.

I'm doing full Ironman in July and have been considering it quite seriously.

I'm making a change after my Christmas day turkey experience.

I can't go full vegan as I'm not a preachy person by nature. My official 2020 eating title will be pescartarian.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Callis's thread on 09:01 - Dec 24 with 940 viewsNewcyBlue

Callis's thread on 08:13 - Dec 24 by TractorWood

Alright Newcy.

A good look through YouTube and loads of people who are trying to crack into elite running and cycling (Ben Parkes/Vegan cyclist/Ginger runner) are all vegan, seemingly only for its performance benefits.

I'm doing full Ironman in July and have been considering it quite seriously.

It’d be interesting to see what your experience is if you do it.

Are you going to monitor anything like blood pressure/VO2 max/resting heart rate if you do it?

Ben Coomber did a podcast on Game Changers. I’ve not had a chance to listen to it yet.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Callis's thread on 09:01 - Dec 24 with 938 viewsNewcyBlue

Callis's thread on 08:38 - Dec 24 by artsbossbeard

I can't go full vegan as I'm not a preachy person by nature. My official 2020 eating title will be pescartarian.

Why are you making the change out of interest?

Callis's thread on 09:07 - Dec 24 with 934 viewsGuthrum

Callis's thread on 22:29 - Dec 23 by monytowbray

I think in terms of outright offensive things posted on this forum in my 9 years here (NINE? BLOODY HELL!) that image was low on the list. Provocative but the context was with good intentions. Again another thread like your current racism in football one where plenty of suspect people had down arrows to fire or personal remarks to make but not much in the way of justifying the way the Tories are heading.

Direct conflation of Tories with Nazis still gives me a hard time. Largely for dulling the geninely brutal extremism of the latter, a political movement with an overt programme of militaristic territorial expansion and violent persecution of minorities (secretly, extending to genocide). They didn't start mild and turn nasty, Hitler's earliest manifesto set out everything from the beginning.

The Conservatives may be hostile to immigration and have an arguably harsh domestic agenda - under a leader known for casually making offensive remarks - but it doesn't really compare on the scale.

Criticism of the Tories (and attacking racism) is fair enough, but likening them to Nazis devalues the argument (merely becoming a trope) and turns off people you want to have listening. Particularly older, more traditional Conservatives, perhaps uneasy at the current leadership and direction, but who recoil at accusations of being identical to the beasts who launched war and murdered Jews in their parents' generation (or even their own childhood).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Callis's thread on 09:09 - Dec 24 with 922 viewslowhouseblue

Callis's thread on 09:07 - Dec 24 by Guthrum

Direct conflation of Tories with Nazis still gives me a hard time. Largely for dulling the geninely brutal extremism of the latter, a political movement with an overt programme of militaristic territorial expansion and violent persecution of minorities (secretly, extending to genocide). They didn't start mild and turn nasty, Hitler's earliest manifesto set out everything from the beginning.

The Conservatives may be hostile to immigration and have an arguably harsh domestic agenda - under a leader known for casually making offensive remarks - but it doesn't really compare on the scale.

Criticism of the Tories (and attacking racism) is fair enough, but likening them to Nazis devalues the argument (merely becoming a trope) and turns off people you want to have listening. Particularly older, more traditional Conservatives, perhaps uneasy at the current leadership and direction, but who recoil at accusations of being identical to the beasts who launched war and murdered Jews in their parents' generation (or even their own childhood).

it's also plain thick.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Callis's thread on 09:12 - Dec 24 with 919 viewsartsbossbeard

Callis's thread on 09:01 - Dec 24 by NewcyBlue

Why are you making the change out of interest?

Ethical and fitness reasons.

2x 10ks booked already for 2020.

I'm also a soft touch with animals and spent a fair bit of time lately thinking about my own personal hypocrisy.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Callis's thread on 09:39 - Dec 24 with 882 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Welcome to the club.
Sardines on toast and a bit of salad....yum!!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Callis's thread on 09:50 - Dec 24 with 869 viewsNewcyBlue

Callis's thread on 09:12 - Dec 24 by artsbossbeard

I'm also a soft touch with animals and spent a fair bit of time lately thinking about my own personal hypocrisy.

Good luck with that ABB.

Hopefully you’re happier and healthier in 2020.

Login to get fewer ads

Callis's thread on 09:56 - Dec 24 with 861 viewsEwan_Oozami

I'm cutting down drastically on meat as I try and get fit for next year's local cycling time trial and cyclo-cross season.

There are no physiological reasons why non-meat-eating athletes can't perform at the same or greater levels than meat-eaters (ok, calling myself an athlete is a bit of a stretch I grant you!) - all the proteins and minerals available in meat are available in veg or other forms of nutrition.

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Callis's thread on 10:22 - Dec 24 with 852 viewsLord_Lucan

RKD is going "Seagan" in the ne.w year

In effect what this means is he fancies a girl who is Seagan and wants to infiltrate her.

When he fancied a veggie a few years back he went veggie for a few months before being spotted eating a dirty kebab down kebab street.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Callis's thread on 10:29 - Dec 24 with 839 viewsNewcyBlue

Callis's thread on 10:22 - Dec 24 by Lord_Lucan

RKD is going "Seagan" in the ne.w year

In effect what this means is he fancies a girl who is Seagan and wants to infiltrate her.

When he fancied a veggie a few years back he went veggie for a few months before being spotted eating a dirty kebab down kebab street.

This dirty kebab he got caught munching, did she have a name?

Callis's thread on 10:41 - Dec 24 with 827 viewsTractorWood

Callis's thread on 09:56 - Dec 24 by Ewan_Oozami

I'm cutting down drastically on meat as I try and get fit for next year's local cycling time trial and cyclo-cross season.

There are no physiological reasons why non-meat-eating athletes can't perform at the same or greater levels than meat-eaters (ok, calling myself an athlete is a bit of a stretch I grant you!) - all the proteins and minerals available in meat are available in veg or other forms of nutrition.

What's your time trial set up like? I've recently sorted my TT bike properly after using clip on bars on my sportive bike for too long.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Callis's thread on 10:43 - Dec 24 with 820 viewsfactual_blue

Callis's thread on 23:47 - Dec 23 by jeera

It was never the cutest pig in the first place.

I'd eat it without a moment's thought.

Can't see the issue.

cameron got there first.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Callis's thread on 10:58 - Dec 24 with 802 viewsLord_Lucan

You killed my rabbit.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Callis's thread on 11:08 - Dec 24 with 792 viewsmonytowbray

I’m glad the brunt of sh1t I took over promoting veganism on here has had a somewhat positive impact :)

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Callis's thread on 11:16 - Dec 24 with 770 viewsNewcyBlue

Callis's thread on 10:58 - Dec 24 by Lord_Lucan

You killed my rabbit.

We have 6, and they’re all fed fresh herbs and fresh veg. They’re essentially seasoned from within.

Callis's thread on 11:21 - Dec 24 with 750 viewsartsbossbeard

Callis's thread on 10:58 - Dec 24 by Lord_Lucan

You killed my rabbit.

* raises glass to Rodney *

Callis's thread on 11:23 - Dec 24 with 739 viewsbrogansnose

Callis's thread on 11:08 - Dec 24 by monytowbray

I’m glad the brunt of sh1t I took over promoting veganism on here has had a somewhat positive impact :)

Got to say that I've cut down animal food stuff in my diet to what is now a fraction and that fraction is mostly cheese. I recall us briefly talking about this at Brentford away a couple of years ago.

I still think that a lot of pre-prepared vegan meals are cack and stupidly priced - I accept that this will change over time.
Callis's thread on 11:25 - Dec 24 with 731 viewsmonytowbray

Callis's thread on 11:23 - Dec 24 by brogansnose

Got to say that I've cut down animal food stuff in my diet to what is now a fraction and that fraction is mostly cheese. I recall us briefly talking about this at Brentford away a couple of years ago.

I still think that a lot of pre-prepared vegan meals are cack and stupidly priced - I accept that this will change over time.

Some are okay when you’re in a rush, but TBH ready meals were never a staple of my diet. The ever-improving access to takeaway food will be my downfall.

TWTD never forgets…

Callis's thread on 11:28 - Dec 24 with 719 viewsbrogansnose

Callis's thread on 11:25 - Dec 24 by monytowbray

Some are okay when you’re in a rush, but TBH ready meals were never a staple of my diet. The ever-improving access to takeaway food will be my downfall.

Never could see the point of 'imitation meat' foods. There's a whole world of wonderful vegan and vegetarian cusines out there which are easy and cheap to do.

Cauliflower steaks for a fiver ? FRO.
Callis's thread on 11:31 - Dec 24 with 716 viewsmonytowbray

Callis's thread on 11:28 - Dec 24 by brogansnose

Never could see the point of 'imitation meat' foods. There's a whole world of wonderful vegan and vegetarian cusines out there which are easy and cheap to do.

Cauliflower steaks for a fiver ? FRO.

I’m pro fake meats. I like them and they help make veganism more accessible. “Missing out” is a common reason I find folk won’t make the switch.

But you are right, bean chillis, veggie curries, etc all rule.

TWTD never forgets…

Callis's thread on 11:35 - Dec 24 with 706 viewsNewcyBlue

Callis's thread on 11:31 - Dec 24 by monytowbray

I’m pro fake meats. I like them and they help make veganism more accessible. “Missing out” is a common reason I find folk won’t make the switch.

I make an incredible vegan Thai Green Curry. MrsN, the fussiest woman when it comes to vegetable eats it and likes it.

Callis's thread on 11:39 - Dec 24 with 700 viewsbrogansnose

Callis's thread on 11:31 - Dec 24 by monytowbray

Take your first point, just not for me that's all. To me, doesn't matter how you dress it up, a veg sausage ain't as good as a dead animal one. More importantly, meat or not, its bad that it's more expensive to eat healthily than eat crud. Different argument though I suppose.

Southern Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cusine quite often go nowhere near meat and they're full of flavour.
Callis's thread on 11:43 - Dec 24 with 691 viewsmonytowbray

Callis's thread on 11:39 - Dec 24 by brogansnose

Take your first point, just not for me that's all. To me, doesn't matter how you dress it up, a veg sausage ain't as good as a dead animal one. More importantly, meat or not, its bad that it's more expensive to eat healthily than eat crud. Different argument though I suppose.

Southern Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cusine quite often go nowhere near meat and they're full of flavour.

The Impossible/Moving Mountains burgers, Sainsbos Shroom dogs, M&S chick’n pieces to me can all be adapted to taste just as good as I remember meat tasted. I have lost my reference points however.

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024