Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More monkey chants at the football 18:34 - Dec 22 with 6827 viewsvapour_trail

At Spurs Chelsea this afternoon.

Disgusting.

It’s on the march again in this country, and I’m sorry it’s been facilitated by the whole Brexit process and the prime minister in particular.

It’ll get worse before it gets better.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

More monkey chants at the football on 00:11 - Dec 24 with 1142 viewsBackToRussia

More monkey chants at the football on 23:54 - Dec 23 by BackToRussia

By amazing I mean predictable. Enjoying your lib dem vote?

Another coward. FOAD.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

More monkey chants at the football on 07:53 - Dec 24 with 1087 viewsMJallday

Brexit has been a thing since 2016
Boris has been pm for 6 months

“I know, I’m a 30+ year old person incapable of making my own decisions and I’ll make monkey chants and blame it on.boris or brexitif asked”

Pathetic, they are not linked and these people should be thrown in prison

Sick.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2019 7:53]

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

More monkey chants at the football on 07:59 - Dec 24 with 1081 viewsMullet

More monkey chants at the football on 07:53 - Dec 24 by MJallday

“I know, I’m a 30+ year old person incapable of making my own decisions and I’ll make monkey chants and blame it on.boris or brexitif asked”

Sick.

But the racism which fuelled it was always around. As much as it makes Brexit voters uncomfortable, from day one there was rhetoric around "them" "taking back control [from foreigners/unelected bureaucrats/ immigrants]" etc.

To deny there was no racism connected to Brexit is just dishonest, especially now. Those fears and ignorance were exploited to get it done, and will be the longer Boris struggles and long after he's dead and the other conspirators and chancers who made their name off the back of it.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

More monkey chants at the football on 08:17 - Dec 24 with 1071 viewsMJallday

More monkey chants at the football on 07:59 - Dec 24 by Mullet

But the racism which fuelled it was always around. As much as it makes Brexit voters uncomfortable, from day one there was rhetoric around "them" "taking back control [from foreigners/unelected bureaucrats/ immigrants]" etc.

To deny there was no racism connected to Brexit is just dishonest, especially now. Those fears and ignorance were exploited to get it done, and will be the longer Boris struggles and long after he's dead and the other conspirators and chancers who made their name off the back of it.

I see your point but brexit (for me) was more about maintaining national identity rather than racism - so to link the two is somewhat stretching things

Whatever the motivation, there is no place in our society for it

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

More monkey chants at the football on 08:23 - Dec 24 with 1071 viewsLeaky

I don't believe its any thing to do with Brexit. I think it has always hovered below the surface. Its not as bad as the 1970's. I just believe it is reported more, as it less except able in modern times, but still unacceptable. Booze probably plays a part. It doe's seem weird that fans abuse opposition black player's but mob there own when they score.
More monkey chants at the football on 08:44 - Dec 24 with 1062 viewssparks

More monkey chants at the football on 07:53 - Dec 24 by MJallday

Sick.

They are patently linked- though not directly.

The environment in whcih people feel able to behave badly at football, is partly down to that football environment, but also partly down to societal norms and standards.

We have people supporting the idea that you can throw bottles at a player who cheats. Baseline: you can behave differently at football to on the street.

We have a PM who's actions say it is okay to use pejorative terms for muslims, black people and gay people. Baseline: its okay to say those things now.

Combine the two and you have people who feel able to behave as described at Tottenham last weekend.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

More monkey chants at the football on 08:48 - Dec 24 with 1057 viewsLeaky

More monkey chants at the football on 09:21 - Dec 23 by Mullet

Why not blame it on the fact that racism by angry white men, and sneering privileged white men has been plastered all over the media and social media, to a point of saturation and condemnation has been shouted down far more aggressively than the racism itself?

It's everywhere, and often quite subtle too so if that makes people who ushered it in and said nothing uncomfortable, good.

Its not just white people who are racist. Indian & Pakistani people can just as bad.
More monkey chants at the football on 08:52 - Dec 24 with 1053 viewssparks

More monkey chants at the football on 08:48 - Dec 24 by Leaky

Its not just white people who are racist. Indian & Pakistani people can just as bad.

So what?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Login to get fewer ads

More monkey chants at the football on 09:05 - Dec 24 with 1044 viewsLeaky

More monkey chants at the football on 08:52 - Dec 24 by sparks

So what?

Racism is racism its not dependant on the colour of one's skin. I was once called a n*gger luvin honky in St. Lucia. I took as a friendly gesture whether you can term it as racist or not I would guess is the way it was said.
More monkey chants at the football on 09:08 - Dec 24 with 1039 viewssparks

More monkey chants at the football on 09:05 - Dec 24 by Leaky

Racism is racism its not dependant on the colour of one's skin. I was once called a n*gger luvin honky in St. Lucia. I took as a friendly gesture whether you can term it as racist or not I would guess is the way it was said.

Yes. What on earth has that got to do with the subject?

More monkey chants at the football on 09:12 - Dec 24 with 1030 viewsPinewoodblue

Society has changed so much over my lifetime. The second family dog I can remember was a very dark Labrador, the given name would now be considered racist.

There is an episode of Fawlty Towers, where the Major talks about going to Lords to see a Test match. Broadcast now , unedited, it would cause an uproar as would many comedy shows of that era.

It isn’t a football problem it is a society problem. We all need to be a little more tolerant.

We are all different I find it unacceptable behavior for people to openly brag about fare dodging for example , while not condoning racism I feel sorry , rather than anger towards them.

This isn’t a Brexit / Remain problem nor one of left v right. No one group has the right to impose their views on another

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

More monkey chants at the football on 09:20 - Dec 24 with 1020 viewsLeaky

More monkey chants at the football on 09:08 - Dec 24 by sparks

Yes. What on earth has that got to do with the subject?

Oh, I'm sorry I thought this thread's topic was racism. Seems to be typical of this board everything turns back to a politics
More monkey chants at the football on 09:21 - Dec 24 with 1018 viewssparks

More monkey chants at the football on 09:20 - Dec 24 by Leaky

Oh, I'm sorry I thought this thread's topic was racism. Seems to be typical of this board everything turns back to a politics

Nope- the point I'm making is that you replied to a perfectly reasonable point by saying "but someone else does it too". Almost as if you were seeking to deflect...

More monkey chants at the football on 09:59 - Dec 24 with 998 viewsHalf_Idiot

More monkey chants at the football on 09:12 - Dec 24 by Pinewoodblue

Society has changed so much over my lifetime. The second family dog I can remember was a very dark Labrador, the given name would now be considered racist.

There is an episode of Fawlty Towers, where the Major talks about going to Lords to see a Test match. Broadcast now , unedited, it would cause an uproar as would many comedy shows of that era.

It isn’t a football problem it is a society problem. We all need to be a little more tolerant.

We are all different I find it unacceptable behavior for people to openly brag about fare dodging for example , while not condoning racism I feel sorry , rather than anger towards them.

This isn’t a Brexit / Remain problem nor one of left v right. No one group has the right to impose their views on another

Hang on. Are you saying we should be tolerant of racism because "back in their day it was acceptable"?

Why do you feel sorry for racists? We should be angry, there is no room for that kind of behaviour in modern society.
More monkey chants at the football on 11:19 - Dec 24 with 978 viewsBluesquid

More monkey chants at the football on 08:44 - Dec 24 by sparks

They are patently linked- though not directly.

The environment in whcih people feel able to behave badly at football, is partly down to that football environment, but also partly down to societal norms and standards.

We have people supporting the idea that you can throw bottles at a player who cheats. Baseline: you can behave differently at football to on the street.

We have a PM who's actions say it is okay to use pejorative terms for muslims, black people and gay people. Baseline: its okay to say those things now.

Combine the two and you have people who feel able to behave as described at Tottenham last weekend.

We also have a PM that approves arms sales (even breaching a high court ruling) which are helping to kill brown people.
Collymore is spot on with his assesment of the media and in the run up to the election i don't recall a single question put to Johnson regarding these illegal arms sales and had the people who are being bombed and starved been white then it is much more likely in that scenario that there would have been increased questioning, criticism and scrutiny from the media.
More monkey chants at the football on 11:37 - Dec 24 with 966 viewsjimmyvet

More monkey chants at the football on 16:48 - Dec 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

Boring..shut the .....k'up

Why boring because those who suffer racist abuse are Jewish? Your disgusting you really are! Check the stats before you start shouting your bigoted mouth off again as a proportion of the UK population the Jewish faith in this country suffer more racism than any other religion and it has risen significantly over the past few years
More monkey chants at the football on 13:16 - Dec 24 with 939 viewsLeaky

More monkey chants at the football on 09:21 - Dec 24 by sparks

Nope- the point I'm making is that you replied to a perfectly reasonable point by saying "but someone else does it too". Almost as if you were seeking to deflect...

Racism is wrong in all its forms it just seems on this forum its all blamed on white males who voted conservative & for Benefit
More monkey chants at the football on 13:39 - Dec 24 with 921 viewsBloomBlue

More monkey chants at the football on 11:37 - Dec 24 by jimmyvet

Why boring because those who suffer racist abuse are Jewish? Your disgusting you really are! Check the stats before you start shouting your bigoted mouth off again as a proportion of the UK population the Jewish faith in this country suffer more racism than any other religion and it has risen significantly over the past few years

Ignore them unfortunately in 2019 in the UK we have a lot of people who think being anti Jew is acceptable.
More monkey chants at the football on 14:02 - Dec 24 with 916 viewsfabian_illness

I don’t think racism will ever go away totally. Sadly.
I grew up in a multi cultural society in Ipswich in the 70’s, as did a lot of people on here.
For that I am eternally grateful.
My best mate/neighbours were a Jamaican family.
My neighbours endured name calling but always told their kids to ignore it.
Everyone that cared for them ignored it. Rightly or wrongly, that’s what happened.
Over the years ignoring it has turned to speaking up and making a stand.
The number of people making a stand now far outweighs the racist minority, thankfully.
I remember 8 or 9 years ago hearing a guy at an ITFC game, shouting the word ‘c**n’ he was shut down by 3 or 4 of us straight away, that’s the last time I heard anything at a town game.
I think self policing will weed these scum out, people just won’t ignore it anymore.
More monkey chants at the football on 14:12 - Dec 24 with 911 viewssparks

More monkey chants at the football on 11:19 - Dec 24 by Bluesquid

We also have a PM that approves arms sales (even breaching a high court ruling) which are helping to kill brown people.
Collymore is spot on with his assesment of the media and in the run up to the election i don't recall a single question put to Johnson regarding these illegal arms sales and had the people who are being bombed and starved been white then it is much more likely in that scenario that there would have been increased questioning, criticism and scrutiny from the media.

I dont accept that arms deals are the same thing at all. Different subject- and one with some difficult nuances.

More monkey chants at the football on 14:13 - Dec 24 with 907 viewssparks

More monkey chants at the football on 13:16 - Dec 24 by Leaky

Racism is wrong in all its forms it just seems on this forum its all blamed on white males who voted conservative & for Benefit

Oh dear. Your agenda is showing.

More monkey chants at the football on 14:25 - Dec 24 with 895 viewsblueconscience

So none of this racist stuff happened before the Brexit vote?

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

More monkey chants at the football on 20:08 - Dec 24 with 847 viewsjeera

More monkey chants at the football on 14:25 - Dec 24 by blueconscience

So none of this racist stuff happened before the Brexit vote?

Literally nobody has suggested that.

The term is 'empowerment' and you would have been under a rock to have missed it.

You're too smart to post this rubbish and you should be joining in condemning, not making excuses.

That aside, Merry Xmas.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

More monkey chants at the football on 20:18 - Dec 24 with 839 viewsjeera

More monkey chants at the football on 14:13 - Dec 24 by sparks

Oh dear. Your agenda is showing.

I've sort of found Leaky to be like many other posters who post this sort of stuff but away from it seem quite ok; i.e. friendly etc.

It's shame that this attitude shows up here despite away from that seem otherwise decent enough [seeming] people. Conditioning? But then we're all subject to that.

Maybe life experiences have protected some people so the empathy just isn't there.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2019 20:23]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

More monkey chants at the football on 20:21 - Dec 24 with 839 viewsDubtractor

Seems appropriate for this thread.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/24/brexit-discourse-contributed-to

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024