Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Set pieces - defending 19:24 - Nov 25 with 1469 viewsMeltonBlue

Am I the only one who gets frustrated by us bringing every player back to defend set pieces? Surely it only invites pressure and more attackers into our area..leaving a player like Jackson up on half way would atleast give the opposition something to think about.

Set pieces - defending on 19:32 - Nov 25 with 1451 viewsDarth_Koont

I think the idea is that a crowd of bodies (even the opposition's own attacking players end up getting in each other's way) makes it a lot harder to score.

Certainly almost all the top sides in the world tend to have everyone back in and around the box.

Pronouns: He/Him

Set pieces - defending on 21:06 - Nov 25 with 1394 viewsfactual_blue

Blackpool still left two players back.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Set pieces - defending on 21:07 - Nov 25 with 1399 viewstextbackup

Jackson is possibly the fastest player we've ever had. its absolutely criminal that we don't have him up there just waiting for a lump up the pitch

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Set pieces - defending on 22:46 - Nov 25 with 1347 viewsBluefish

Set pieces - defending on 19:32 - Nov 25 by Darth_Koont

I think the idea is that a crowd of bodies (even the opposition's own attacking players end up getting in each other's way) makes it a lot harder to score.

Certainly almost all the top sides in the world tend to have everyone back in and around the box.

You must be wrong this was another McCarthy only thing and a reason to call him a nonce

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Set pieces - defending on 22:49 - Nov 25 with 1343 viewsStNeotsBlue

Set pieces - defending on 22:46 - Nov 25 by Bluefish

You must be wrong this was another McCarthy only thing and a reason to call him a nonce

Keane was the first Ipswich manager I remember doing this. I'm not a fan of Keane or this tactic seems counter productive.
Set pieces - defending on 22:52 - Nov 25 with 1338 viewsPhilTWTD

Set pieces - defending on 22:49 - Nov 25 by StNeotsBlue

Keane was the first Ipswich manager I remember doing this. I'm not a fan of Keane or this tactic seems counter productive.

Whether he was the first I'm not sure but I remember asking him about it.

Keane: Priority at Corners Always Defence 2nd Mar 2010 09:50
Boss Roy Keane has explained the thinking behind Town bringing all their players back to defend at corners. Since Keane took over as manager, the Blues rarely leave anyone up field when they are defending opposition corners. 33

This post has been edited by an administrator
Set pieces - defending on 23:49 - Nov 25 with 1269 viewsStNeotsBlue

Set pieces - defending on 22:52 - Nov 25 by PhilTWTD

Whether he was the first I'm not sure but I remember asking him about it.

Keane: Priority at Corners Always Defence 2nd Mar 2010 09:50
Boss Roy Keane has explained the thinking behind Town bringing all their players back to defend at corners. Since Keane took over as manager, the Blues rarely leave anyone up field when they are defending opposition corners. 33

This post has been edited by an administrator

His arguement was nonsense then and still doesn't make sense now.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2019 14:13]
Set pieces - defending on 16:14 - Nov 26 with 1096 viewsbluejacko

Didn’t Blackpool’s first goal come about by leaving one up front,and springing a counter attack?
Login to get fewer ads

Set pieces - defending on 16:35 - Nov 26 with 1064 viewsRadlett_blue

Set pieces - defending on 22:49 - Nov 25 by StNeotsBlue

Exactly. I remember us drawing many games early in Keane's reign after leading & then conceding late. However, the late equaliser invariably came after a sustained spell of pressure from the opposition after a corner led to a long spell when we couldn't get the ball out of our box, largely because all our players were there. Clearly Keane's instructions.
Now yes, it's a tactic used quite often but I still don't think it makes sense unless you're defending a corner or free kick right at the death because you have no out-ball at all. Please leave your fastest forward upfield (and maybe one or two more if you're drawing or losing).

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Set pieces - defending on 16:39 - Nov 26 with 1054 viewsbluejacko

Set pieces - defending on 21:06 - Nov 25 by factual_blue

Blackpool still left two players back.

They did but as they had nobody to mark when the ball came out one of them had all the time in the world to move forward collect the ball and pump it back into our box! So we have to defend the corner in essence twice! Madness 😡
Set pieces - defending on 16:50 - Nov 26 with 1036 viewsNazemariner

Does my nut in too.

No defence would leave one on one at the back, so you automatically take two players out of attacking positions. Also, s has been said. Leaving Jackson up top to chase down a cleared ball would potentially cause the oppo all sorts of problems.
Set pieces - defending on 16:55 - Nov 26 with 1028 viewscarlisleaway

Frustrates me to hell, the opposition immediately get the ball back and attack us without a single blue shirt on the half way line.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024