Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight 00:27 - Nov 12 with 2155 viewsfactual_blue

It's about actress Margaret Rutherford and Agatha Christie.

Margaret's background and early life is, to put it mildly, so implausible it would rejected as a Hollyoaks plot.

Her father had a nervous breakdown a month after he married. After a spell in a lunatic asylum (we're talking Victorian England, so that's what it would have been), he was discharged. He promptly bludgeoned his own father - a minister in the Congregationalist Church - to death with a chamberpot.

He was determined too mad to stand trial and went to Broadmoor. On his discharge seven years later (1890) he was reunited with his wife. Margaret Rutherford was born two years later.

The family moved to India to start afresh. Margaret's mother became pregnant, and promptly hanged herself. Margaret (aged three) was sent back to be brought up by her aunt, and was told later that her father had died in India of a broken heart.

He hadn't. He also returned to England, and gone back into Broadmoor, where he remained until his death in 1921.

Margaret had herself regularly treated with ECT in a sanatorium, fearful of falling victim to mental problems herself.

Oh, and just to round the story off, she and her husband didn't have children, but unofficially adopted a young writer called Gordon Langley Hall when Hall was in his twenties. Hall went on to write a biography of Margaret Rutherford....but only after he'd had gender reassignment surgery and become Dawn Langley Simmonds.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 15:20 - Nov 12 with 192 viewsWeWereZombies

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 15:05 - Nov 12 by footers

And here's a lesser-known film of Mrs Rutherford, as told by Harry and Paul.

Typically understated supporting performance from Kevin Eldon there.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 15:25 - Nov 12 with 191 viewsWeWereZombies

Saw the play Margaret Murder and Me tonight on 15:04 - Nov 12 by PhilTWTD

Chris Tavare-esque stoicism.

When it comes to stoics I rate Marcus Aurelius above them all, so story of my life - I aim to emulate the greatest philosopher of his school who had a sideline as one of the more competent Roman emperors and I get dubbed as the equivalent of a cricketer who I had forgotten about until I googled him just now...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024