Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mings at Centre back 22:41 - Oct 14 with 7134 viewsVic

Old Git was right after all then! He always maintained that would be his best position and moaned that Mick wouldn’t play him there.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Mings at Centre back on 08:37 - Oct 15 with 2492 viewsBlueBadger

Mings at Centre back on 01:28 - Oct 15 by wkj

I still like the day he concluded it was benefit cheats in McDonalds drive through on a BH Monday when there were big queues because of some offer or another.

I always enjoyed his lauding of the private sector work ethic compared to the public sector, which he used to unfailingly espouse during office hours Monday to Friday exclusively and the times he used to run and hide from people actually telling him facts despite being interested in wanting to see this place as an 'academy of learning'.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2019 8:39]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Mings at Centre back on 08:38 - Oct 15 with 2498 viewsPhilTWTD

To be fair, Mick did play him there in the U21s a fair bit but ultimately felt he was better at left-back in the Championship. He did say something about how he thought he would be better as a centre-half in the Premier League than he would be in the Championship given the different challenges they pose.
Mings at Centre back on 08:41 - Oct 15 with 2487 viewsmidastouch

There was talk a while back (when Mings was still with us) that Mourinho saw him as a natural replacement to John Terry. Oh hang on wait, it was the Daily Star!
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-eyeing-up-tyrone-mings-186983

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/england-newcomer-mings-thankful-for-terry-tutela
And at that link it says:
"A Chelsea icon has been working alongside the centre-back since 2018 and the latter has seen his stock rise as a result.

Aston Villa defender Tyrone Mings has praised John Terry's influence on his development from Championship defender to England squad member."

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Mings at Centre back on 08:45 - Oct 15 with 2477 viewsmidastouch

Mings at Centre back on 22:50 - Oct 14 by judespiveyg

Really? He was arguably our best player other than Murphy in the play off season, playing at left back. His best attribute was his attacking ability which was unlike anything I've ever seen from an Ipswich full back, which is why I'm surprised he's such a quality centre half.

Mings was very good going forwards for us. KVY looks very capable in that department too now.

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Mings at Centre back on 08:57 - Oct 15 with 2452 viewssotd78

Really? He was arguably our best player other than Murphy in the play off season, playing at left back. His best attribute was his attacking ability which was unlike anything I've ever seen from an Ipswich full back, which is why I'm surprised he's such a quality centre half.

Perhaps you never saw Herman Hreidarsson then? Now there was an attacking full back with great ability; he too ended up at CB. Mings reminded me a lot of him.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Mings at Centre back on 09:10 - Oct 15 with 2435 viewsHerbivore

Mings at Centre back on 08:57 - Oct 15 by sotd78

Perhaps you never saw Herman Hreidarsson then? Now there was an attacking full back with great ability; he too ended up at CB. Mings reminded me a lot of him.

Hermann had played more football at CB than at LB prior to joining us. Wimbledon used him as a CB.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mings at Centre back on 09:33 - Oct 15 with 2411 viewschicoazul

Let's be real here, he was no Pim Balkestein at left back was he.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Mings at Centre back on 09:59 - Oct 15 with 2405 viewsGarv

I bet Cressy is a bit jealous now, having been Mings' senior while at Town and getting into the England side himself once or twice, now out and seeing Mings do well.

Albeit no longer occupying the same position.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

Mings at Centre back on 10:37 - Oct 15 with 2382 viewsdavblue

Mings at Centre back on 08:24 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

His career has definitely gone the long way round, had he not gone to Villa in January he'd have likely been dropping into the Championship permanently in the summer - little decisions and chunks of luck define careers

Terry has obviously been working on him. Howe isn’t a great defensive coach and he looked out of his depth for Bournemouth.
Mings at Centre back on 10:37 - Oct 15 with 2382 viewsGarv

Mings at Centre back on 09:33 - Oct 15 by chicoazul

Let's be real here, he was no Pim Balkestein at left back was he.

Ping Balkestein.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Mings at Centre back on 10:41 - Oct 15 with 2377 viewsPilgrimblue

Yes really! It was only a question of time that he would develop into a top CB. His stature poise and skill shone at LB but better used at CB now that he's matured. For me he wasn't better than Cresswell.
Mings at Centre back on 14:15 - Oct 15 with 2355 viewsThatMuhrenCross

The only reason he didn't play centre back for us was because he was vastly inexperienced at this level and we arguably had the best CB partnership in the Championship at the time. It was short-term thinking by Mick, but then again, it did get us to the play-offs!

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

Mings at Centre back on 14:38 - Oct 15 with 2343 viewsnodge_blue

unlike anyone since at least, um, Cresswell who came before!

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Mings at Centre back on 15:41 - Oct 15 with 2326 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Mings at Centre back on 22:55 - Oct 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

Seemed to do well at CB for Villa in the champ.

He was composed ad marshalled the defence well on his debut.
Under John Terry at villa he will continue to improve
Mings at Centre back on 16:17 - Oct 15 with 2309 viewsthatdamgood89

Smith, Berra, Chambers....A rookie Mings...Who would you have played at centre back in those years? Mick was mad...but he wasn't that mad.

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

Mings at Centre back on 18:42 - Oct 15 with 2284 viewsjudespiveyg

Mings at Centre back on 14:38 - Oct 15 by nodge_blue

unlike anyone since at least, um, Cresswell who came before!

Mings and Cresswell were very different players, Cresswell was more traditional in his play style and couldn't be called a genuinely attacking full back, except for his exquisite crossing ability. Mings was all about driving forward with the ball at his feet and took a more modern approach to playing full back.
Always felt Cresswell was a touch overrated, sublime cross but the rest of his game didn't particularly stand out.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024