Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! 10:25 - Oct 4 with 3257 viewsgiant_stow

I'm a pc boy so know nothing, but mrs ullaa has to have a macbook to run login pro to make music on (for pro-standard composing, so has to be that).

What sort of spec do we need to look at getting to run Logic reasonably fast?

Is there a good second hand / refurbished shop online to buy from or must it be new?

Many thanks

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:46 - Oct 4 with 763 viewshomer_123

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:27 - Oct 4 by wkj

Aiye, I had PM'd that link to him a bit ago as it happens

Nah, you didn't but I like the way you are trying to claim credit for it! ;)

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:46 - Oct 4 with 763 viewsEly_Blue

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:01 - Oct 4 by giant_stow

Blimey, your last para is a powerful warning. Interesting thoughts on warranty too.

We got her last one brand new and high spec 10 years ago and it's still running, but no longer capable of running anywhere near up to date software - but still, an argument to spalsh out. .

Really appreciate your help.

Is there a reason it needs to be a MacBook and not a desktop?

I recently got a new iMac (top spec 21.5 inch model) and they are far better than the equivalent priced MacBook (particularly if you can get either a student or employer discount)

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:58 - Oct 4 with 756 viewsmanchego

I'm on a well dodge 2011 macbook pro / 4G ram / 10.6.8 running Logic 9 and it's fine. I've done big track projects as well.

Having said that, I'm wondering if I should move onwards and upwards.
As mentioned apple do refurbs.
I've been looking at hoxtonmacs.co.uk

Having said that I might just go new. It costs but I just got a 750quid PC for my kids and put cubase 10 on it and it's a pain to be honest. It might be steinberg that's the problem but it's clunky.
The file structures - navigation is a nightmare compared to apple.
And it crashes.
There are a ton of folders called steinberg or cubase or whatever that are empty. Trying to simply find where everything has been put is a total pain.

I'm happy to pay more for apple.
Also Logic is excellent.
I don't like ableton.
buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 13:52 - Oct 4 with 729 viewswkj

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:46 - Oct 4 by homer_123

FFS Don't go full Dolly on me, for your own sake as much as mine.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 14:26 - Oct 4 with 725 viewsgiant_stow

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:46 - Oct 4 by Ely_Blue

Is there a reason it needs to be a MacBook and not a desktop?

I recently got a new iMac (top spec 21.5 inch model) and they are far better than the equivalent priced MacBook (particularly if you can get either a student or employer discount)

She needs to be able to take it about town with her unfortunately, otherwise... sigh!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 14:28 - Oct 4 with 723 viewsgiant_stow

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:58 - Oct 4 by manchego

I'm on a well dodge 2011 macbook pro / 4G ram / 10.6.8 running Logic 9 and it's fine. I've done big track projects as well.

Having said that, I'm wondering if I should move onwards and upwards.
As mentioned apple do refurbs.
I've been looking at hoxtonmacs.co.uk

Having said that I might just go new. It costs but I just got a 750quid PC for my kids and put cubase 10 on it and it's a pain to be honest. It might be steinberg that's the problem but it's clunky.
The file structures - navigation is a nightmare compared to apple.
And it crashes.
There are a ton of folders called steinberg or cubase or whatever that are empty. Trying to simply find where everything has been put is a total pain.

I'm happy to pay more for apple.
Also Logic is excellent.
I don't like ableton.

Yeah, came across hoxton macs through much googling - also affordablemacs, who offer a year's warranty. heartening to hear your machine works ok - thanks for that.

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 14:28 - Oct 4 with 721 viewsgiant_stow

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:46 - Oct 4 by homer_123

It is true, wkj did indeed message me with the same link!

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 14:38 - Oct 4 with 719 viewsflimflam

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:46 - Oct 4 by giant_stow

Why not fella?

I guess you have no choice if she is tied in to the sequencing software she uses.

You just get more bang for your buck these days on non Apple kit. Was not always the case though and Apple kit was far superior for desktop publishing , music etc.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Login to get fewer ads

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 14:40 - Oct 4 with 718 viewsflimflam

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:14 - Oct 4 by MeenoITFC

I am a music producer and I am always biased on using Ableton as a DAW. I have used most on the market and ableton is by far the best DAW out there. Get her to take a look.

Cubase for me and been using it since early 90's although only playing around nothing too serious.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 14:43 - Oct 4 with 716 viewsgiant_stow

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 14:38 - Oct 4 by flimflam

I guess you have no choice if she is tied in to the sequencing software she uses.

You just get more bang for your buck these days on non Apple kit. Was not always the case though and Apple kit was far superior for desktop publishing , music etc.

Ah i see - i agree for what it's worth, but think I won;t win this battle.

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 15:39 - Oct 4 with 711 viewshoppy

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:25 - Oct 4 by giant_stow

Cheers mr.

I got mine from Apple refurbished... absolutely no difference to brand new, they put a new battery in, and a new casing, so essentially it's no different from buying brand new, except saving a fair whack on the price ticket!

Did you go for one with an extended keyboard? You know, for a certain reason! ;)

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 15:44 - Oct 4 with 707 viewsgiant_stow

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 15:39 - Oct 4 by hoppy

I got mine from Apple refurbished... absolutely no difference to brand new, they put a new battery in, and a new casing, so essentially it's no different from buying brand new, except saving a fair whack on the price ticket!

Did you go for one with an extended keyboard? You know, for a certain reason! ;)

Cheers Hopster, even for the little 6 fingers gag! (its seven actually)

And thanks again to all - very interesting to get the benefit of twtd's hive mind.

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 15:52 - Oct 4 with 704 viewswkj

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 15:44 - Oct 4 by giant_stow

And thanks again to all - very interesting to get the benefit of twtd's hive mind.

I think its time to confess that you see Ipswich as your second team.

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 16:06 - Oct 4 with 701 viewsgiant_stow

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 15:52 - Oct 4 by wkj

I think its time to confess that you see Ipswich as your second team.

You know I can't do that!

You lot though are nice.

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 16:08 - Oct 4 with 700 viewswkj

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 16:06 - Oct 4 by giant_stow

You know I can't do that!

You lot though are nice.

My nan was one who actually went to both as she loved football. Grandad didnt like it as hes the biggest town fan I ever knew, but Nana loved footie and hated to travel.

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 16:11 - Oct 4 with 697 viewshoppy

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 15:44 - Oct 4 by giant_stow

Who mentioned 6 fingers (or more)?

I didn't!

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 16:12 - Oct 4 with 696 viewsgiant_stow

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 16:08 - Oct 4 by wkj

My nan was one who actually went to both as she loved football. Grandad didnt like it as hes the biggest town fan I ever knew, but Nana loved footie and hated to travel.

Yeah I know someone who's had season tickets for both too - swapped to Norwich when he moved to Norfolk.

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 16:13 - Oct 4 with 692 viewshoppy

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 16:12 - Oct 4 by giant_stow

Yeah I know someone who's had season tickets for both too - swapped to Norwich when he moved to Norfolk.

You refer to Delia as a 'he'?

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 16:15 - Oct 4 with 686 viewsgiant_stow

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 16:13 - Oct 4 by hoppy

You refer to Delia as a 'he'?

It wasn't Delia, but I guess shes another, hey. It was a nice accountant called David - lost touch now, but he was a gentle sole.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2019 16:16]

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 16:27 - Oct 4 with 679 viewsbrogansnose

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:45 - Oct 4 by giant_stow

Very interesting.

Thing is with Logic is that its an Apple only platform and is regarded as the industry standard especially as it can create music as well as working as a digital audio workstation. Ableton, which I and my son use needs to be Ableton Suite which has a range of synths, drum machines samplers ect to be on a par with Logic Pro. Both are excellent and Mrs Ulla might want to go to both their websites to check out what they can both do. If she hasn't used them before then its a big learning curve. If its for film, she may also need a separate program, Pro Tools , to sync up to the film.
buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 16:38 - Oct 4 with 677 viewsgiant_stow

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 16:27 - Oct 4 by brogansnose

Thing is with Logic is that its an Apple only platform and is regarded as the industry standard especially as it can create music as well as working as a digital audio workstation. Ableton, which I and my son use needs to be Ableton Suite which has a range of synths, drum machines samplers ect to be on a par with Logic Pro. Both are excellent and Mrs Ulla might want to go to both their websites to check out what they can both do. If she hasn't used them before then its a big learning curve. If its for film, she may also need a separate program, Pro Tools , to sync up to the film.

That's really handy info mr - thank you. The Ableton is a new one to us, so that's intriguing.

So many musos here!

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 19:28 - Oct 4 with 653 viewsEireannach_gorm

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:51 - Oct 4 by wkj

I would sooner get one second hand from a reputable retailer (on credit card for added security) rather than one second hand off of FB Marketplace and the sort. You can technically use vitalisation on a PC and run MacOS, but you will be running at a lower performance than the specs of the pc by doing so.

I would weigh up the price of a certified reconditioned laptop on a 1 year warranty vs the cost of a new on on a 3-year warranty (i think 3 years is a standard option on Macs). Also consider if this against if it is going to provide a source of income, or if it is just for hobby/interest usage.

I used to buy second hand laptops for work and very rarely did I get them to go longer than about a year to 18 months before things started getting dicey.

Apple laptops tend last longer than Windows laptops hence their higher price. Standard Apple warranty is a year but if you purchase Applecare you get three years. If you want a lower price Mac go to the Apple refurb site. You will get a perfectly good ( probably older model ) Mac. Is it essential to have Logic Pro because the likes of Audacity is Open Source ( free!). I have serviced Apple Macs for 20 years but am not a fanboy just know about their inner secrets. Audio is less demanding than video so you can afford to go down a bit in specifications. I also worked for Digidesign ( Pro Tools) so have a little digital audio knowledge.
buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 19:41 - Oct 4 with 651 viewsdickie

Definitely recommend Apple refurbished. I bought my 2010 a Mac Mini from there and it's still going strong running Logic and Adobe Audition. My wife is a wedding photographer and has an Apple refurbished Macbook Pro 2015 that's still going strong (and gets serious abuse!)

Ableton is great but Logic is ridiculously user friendly. I'd recommend a desktop though unless portability is essential.
buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:06 - Oct 5 with 581 viewsglasso

I'm useless with computer type things but I have a newish (2017), up-specced MacBook Pro with these stats:

2.9 GHz Intel Core I7
16GB memory

It works really well with Logic Pro, never had any issues even when I have loads of plugins and tracks in a project. I did grab an old, desktop Mac from the office when we upgraded and despite it being a massively up-specced, 27in version (I upped the memory and RAM when I bought it back in 2011 or something like that) it's worse than useless.

I don't now what they do when they refurbish stuff, but I'd be wary unless pretty much everything inside it is new. Despite having plenty of memory and space (I deleted pretty much everything on it except Logic), it was so slow and useless and there's constant lag on it.

I just think Apple are extremely good at making old computers pretty useless so you have to buy a new one. I think it's worth spending a little extra to get a newish one just to make sure you're not going to have the same problems as me six months down the line...
buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:28 - Oct 5 with 575 viewsgiant_stow

Thanks for the further info chaps. Heard enough about really old refurbished, but pumped up macs to be put off now. Just for any future people in the same boat, John Lewis had a new left over 2017 model for cheaper than many of the refurbished macs sold by mac themselves, so think we're going for that to play it safe (untouched but cheaper sounds like a good compromise!) much appreciate all the help - if anyone ever wants to ask about websites I'll be there!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024