Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would love to see Nolan start today... 08:49 - Aug 31 with 5308 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

...will be revved up against his former club.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 08:53 - Aug 31 with 3944 viewsMullet

We should beat them without him though shouldn't we? Skuse/Downes are statistically the best two midfielder in the league.

I'd rather him not go in half fit and be out longer.

We'll possibly move a few on Monday at least on loan, so we can't carry too many set backs.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 08:56 - Aug 31 with 3927 viewsVaughan8

You want to see a player who has barely played in months go straight into the first team. Ok Mike Bassett!

I would say it's highly unlikely because why would we change an unbeaten team.

Bring him on yes, start him no.
Would love to see Nolan start today... on 08:57 - Aug 31 with 3919 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 08:56 - Aug 31 by Vaughan8

You want to see a player who has barely played in months go straight into the first team. Ok Mike Bassett!

I would say it's highly unlikely because why would we change an unbeaten team.

Bring him on yes, start him no.

Happy to agree to differ.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 08:59 - Aug 31 with 3900 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 08:53 - Aug 31 by Mullet

We should beat them without him though shouldn't we? Skuse/Downes are statistically the best two midfielder in the league.

I'd rather him not go in half fit and be out longer.

We'll possibly move a few on Monday at least on loan, so we can't carry too many set backs.

Might be a bit early for Nolan, but I'd still like to see it.

If we are to continue with 442, I think we need to be more ambitious and have EITHER Downes or Skuse, plus a partner.

Soon the decision will come as to whether we keep 442 and have a more dynamic pairing, or play with a 3 in the middle.

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:00 - Aug 31 with 3894 viewsRozz

I'd like to see him come on for the last 20 minutes at 3-0 up. No prisoners in the league, after so many changes in the cup & decisions like moving the Rochdale game. Best / (match) fittest 11 should start.
Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:09 - Aug 31 with 3851 viewsHerbivore

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 08:59 - Aug 31 by Marshalls_Mullet

Might be a bit early for Nolan, but I'd still like to see it.

If we are to continue with 442, I think we need to be more ambitious and have EITHER Downes or Skuse, plus a partner.

Soon the decision will come as to whether we keep 442 and have a more dynamic pairing, or play with a 3 in the middle.

Downes offers plenty going forward. He's not a defensive midfielder, he just happens to be able to tackle. Skuse has also created several chances this season. It's great we've got strength in depth in midfield but at this point as others get up to fitness our current partnership is clearly our strongest.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:17 - Aug 31 with 3823 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:09 - Aug 31 by Herbivore

Downes offers plenty going forward. He's not a defensive midfielder, he just happens to be able to tackle. Skuse has also created several chances this season. It's great we've got strength in depth in midfield but at this point as others get up to fitness our current partnership is clearly our strongest.

It probably is too soon to try something different, but I don't think Downes / Skuse in a two will be our first choice come the end of the season.

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:18 - Aug 31 with 3811 viewsHerbivore

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:17 - Aug 31 by Marshalls_Mullet

It probably is too soon to try something different, but I don't think Downes / Skuse in a two will be our first choice come the end of the season.

We'll see. They are our best two midfielders currently. I expect we'll mix things up over the season and may not even be playing a midfield two when we celebrate promotion in March.

Login to get fewer ads

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:20 - Aug 31 with 3803 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:18 - Aug 31 by Herbivore

We'll see. They are our best two midfielders currently. I expect we'll mix things up over the season and may not even be playing a midfield two when we celebrate promotion in March.

Skuse and Downes have a combined 3 goals in around 300 Ipswich games.

I just think a goal threat from centre mid is good to have, and Nolan can be a 10 goal man.

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:22 - Aug 31 with 3794 viewsHerbivore

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:20 - Aug 31 by Marshalls_Mullet

Skuse and Downes have a combined 3 goals in around 300 Ipswich games.

I just think a goal threat from centre mid is good to have, and Nolan can be a 10 goal man.

It matters less when you have two strikers both in the goals. Downes looks to have a goal in him, he's had a few decent strikes and just needs one to go in. I don't think changing our midfield pairing is much of a priority, Skuse and Downes have been our two best players this season.

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:24 - Aug 31 with 3782 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:22 - Aug 31 by Herbivore

It matters less when you have two strikers both in the goals. Downes looks to have a goal in him, he's had a few decent strikes and just needs one to go in. I don't think changing our midfield pairing is much of a priority, Skuse and Downes have been our two best players this season.

Have to remember our last games was against a youth team.

Agree that Downes will probably contribute goals.

I agree they have performed well together, and am happy enough. But I do think we need more goal threat in midfield and Nolan can provide that when match fit.

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:25 - Aug 31 with 3781 viewsblueislander

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:17 - Aug 31 by Marshalls_Mullet

So the only rationale for starting Nolan is that we are playing a team he left over a year ago? It is plain that Lambert’s policy, quite correctly imo, is to drip feed those coming back from injury into matches. I hope you are right that Downes and Skuse are not necessarily first picks come the end of the season. I have always been anti-Skuse, but have to admit he has performed well so far, and is much more positive than previous seasons. However with Bishop and Lankester to come back, Huws to get fully match fit, and El Mizouni and Dobra to continue to develop, Skuse may not continue to hold that place.
Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:30 - Aug 31 with 3764 viewsBrixtonBlue

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 08:57 - Aug 31 by Marshalls_Mullet

He's right. Nolan's nowhere near to match fitness.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:30 - Aug 31 with 3766 viewsPJH

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:18 - Aug 31 by Herbivore

In my opinion they are not only our two best midfielders currently they are also our two best players in any position currently.

I would like a fully fit Huws to also be in our midfield with them and until Bishop is available again that would do for me.

Not sure what the attraction of Nolan is apart from giving some of our squad players some game time, I think we should start with our best available players.
Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:31 - Aug 31 with 3760 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:25 - Aug 31 by blueislander

So the only rationale for starting Nolan is that we are playing a team he left over a year ago? It is plain that Lambert’s policy, quite correctly imo, is to drip feed those coming back from injury into matches. I hope you are right that Downes and Skuse are not necessarily first picks come the end of the season. I have always been anti-Skuse, but have to admit he has performed well so far, and is much more positive than previous seasons. However with Bishop and Lankester to come back, Huws to get fully match fit, and El Mizouni and Dobra to continue to develop, Skuse may not continue to hold that place.

Lighten up.

It was a bit of a flippant remark, but I wouldn't mind seeing it if he's deemed fit.

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:31 - Aug 31 with 3758 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:30 - Aug 31 by BrixtonBlue

He's right. Nolan's nowhere near to match fitness.

Who knows hey.

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:32 - Aug 31 with 3746 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:30 - Aug 31 by PJH

In my opinion they are not only our two best midfielders currently they are also our two best players in any position currently.

I would like a fully fit Huws to also be in our midfield with them and until Bishop is available again that would do for me.

Not sure what the attraction of Nolan is apart from giving some of our squad players some game time, I think we should start with our best available players.

I think we can improve on them as a two.

Sometimes in football you have to make difficult decisions in order to succeed. To step out of the comfort zone.

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:32 - Aug 31 with 3745 viewsBrixtonBlue

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:31 - Aug 31 by Marshalls_Mullet

Who knows hey.

Everyone. Because he hasn't played any matches!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:35 - Aug 31 with 3734 viewsPJH

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:32 - Aug 31 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think we can improve on them as a two.

Sometimes in football you have to make difficult decisions in order to succeed. To step out of the comfort zone.

Not sure what is "comfort zone" about it because they are both playing well individually and as a pair.

We do seem to be succeeding at the moment (relatively) so not sure how weakening the side by including Nolan will help that.
Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:39 - Aug 31 with 3712 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:32 - Aug 31 by BrixtonBlue

Everyone. Because he hasn't played any matches!

So he needs to play matches
[Post edited 31 Aug 2019 9:39]

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:40 - Aug 31 with 3710 viewsHerbivore

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:30 - Aug 31 by PJH

Agreed, they've been our best two players so far this season and by a reasonable margin too. Once everyone is fit I do wonder if we will change system to accommodate another CM as we're loaded with talent in central midfield. Problem is to do that with the players we have means either dropping a striker or going for a narrow midfield diamond, which I've said many times is something I'd like to see us try but Lambert seems less keen.

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:41 - Aug 31 with 3698 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:35 - Aug 31 by PJH

Not sure what is "comfort zone" about it because they are both playing well individually and as a pair.

We do seem to be succeeding at the moment (relatively) so not sure how weakening the side by including Nolan will help that.

It's your opinion that Nolan would weaken the side.

I don't agree with your opinion. I think he would add a serious goal threat that we need from midfield.

Like I say, happy to agree to differ. Not a bad position for ITFC to be in.

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:44 - Aug 31 with 3674 viewsHerbivore

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:41 - Aug 31 by Marshalls_Mullet

I don't agree with your opinion. I think he would add a serious goal threat that we need from midfield.

I like Nolan but for a more forward thinking midfield player I make him behind Huws in the pecking order, probaby Bishop too when he's back fit. Nolan is an odd one to be calling for when Huws is getting back to match fitness and has come off the bench a few times already.

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:47 - Aug 31 with 3662 viewsPJH

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:41 - Aug 31 by Marshalls_Mullet

I agree that we have got an embarrassment of riches at this level in midfield and obviously Nolan did very well at this level previously.

It is just that I saw very little from Nolan last season (obviously at a higher level) to suggest that he should be a first choice in our midfield with the alternatives that we have got.

I would say that Downes is as much of a goal threat as Nolan is and Nolan very rarely passes anywhere other than sideways and even more rarely makes a tackle.

Basically you will gather that I do not think Nolan should be in any first choice team with what we have currently got available.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2019 10:02]
Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:51 - Aug 31 with 3645 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Would love to see Nolan start today... on 09:44 - Aug 31 by Herbivore

I like Nolan but for a more forward thinking midfield player I make him behind Huws in the pecking order, probaby Bishop too when he's back fit. Nolan is an odd one to be calling for when Huws is getting back to match fitness and has come off the bench a few times already.

To be honest, I am a big fan of Huws, but given his injury record over the past 3 years he needs to be used from the bench for a while.

Realistically, I don't think you can Base your seasons strategy on having Huws and / or Bishop consistently fit and available. I wish we could.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024