Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? 08:13 - Aug 23 with 3660 viewsBrixtonBlue

Thinking of visiting my parents at the weekend (Chelmsford)... then going on to somewhere on that east coast for a pleasant weekend with the missus. Any recommendations?

I remember Dedham being nice. The missus suggested Southend-on-sea, largely because it sounds nice with the "on sea" bit, but I always remember Southend being a sh!thole. Dunno if it's improved.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 11:17 - Aug 23 with 922 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Old Felixstowe. Nice walks on the seafront or inland from the estuary, the Ferry Boat Inn for a pint & lunch.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 11:24 - Aug 23 with 917 viewsSouperJim

Jaywick is supposed to be palatial

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Nah, the rocks are fine on 11:51 - Aug 23 with 900 viewschicoazul

Nah, the rocks are fine on 11:12 - Aug 23 by Dyland

Possibly best to avoid the natives though... but tbh the whole R in the month thing is out of date. Put it this way, I trough oysters in the summer. In fact the only time I've chundered from oysters was one Christmas.

How do you know it was the Oysters? Could have been the Latour '67 and the 8 brandies.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 12:19 - Aug 23 with 877 viewsColin_Viljoen

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 10:53 - Aug 23 by LeighOnSeaBlue

I can vouch for Southend being a sh!thole! Come to Leigh and Sea its much nicer

Ah! Leigh on sea snobbery rears it's head again!
Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 12:37 - Aug 23 with 860 viewssuffolkpoker

Thorpeness
Southwold
aldeburgh
Walberswick

These places are like going back in time.

#SuffolkGems

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 12:53 - Aug 23 with 854 viewssoupytwist

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 12:19 - Aug 23 by Colin_Viljoen

Ah! Leigh on sea snobbery rears it's head again!

Leigh has gone downhill massively since I spent my formative years there.
Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 13:27 - Aug 23 with 834 viewsCoastalblue

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 12:53 - Aug 23 by soupytwist

Leigh has gone downhill massively since I spent my formative years there.

Indeed, getting p1ssed in the Grand Hotel while Wilko Johnson was tuning up was like a rite of passage, now there isn't even a Grand Hotel!

I did used to love the Peterboat too, I bet that's some ungodly chain pub now?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 13:44 - Aug 23 with 825 viewssoupytwist

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 13:27 - Aug 23 by Coastalblue

Indeed, getting p1ssed in the Grand Hotel while Wilko Johnson was tuning up was like a rite of passage, now there isn't even a Grand Hotel!

I did used to love the Peterboat too, I bet that's some ungodly chain pub now?

I was more a Smack and the Crooked Billet, never the Peter Boat, kind of person myself as far as Old Leigh was concerned and The Grand more in the winter. Looking back that was a really good pub with its different bars and music venue upstairs.
Login to get fewer ads

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 13:46 - Aug 23 with 818 viewsSacrebleu

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 09:27 - Aug 23 by BrixtonBlue

We both like art so that top one sounds nice.

You could combine that with Sudbury and get a bit of Gainsborough in.

Harwich is nice. Can open up into ferry trips to Felixstowe and Shotley as well as seal spotting around the Walton back waters. The latter is probably booked up now though.
Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 15:52 - Aug 23 with 775 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 12:37 - Aug 23 by suffolkpoker

Thorpeness
Southwold
aldeburgh
Walberswick

These places are like going back in time.

#SuffolkGems

Indeed, but a bit far for a day trip from Chelmsford, especially with all the Ginger Ed traffic!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 16:29 - Aug 23 with 764 viewsMLDR5

Languard Fort and the small beach at Felixstowe is far nicer than the sea fronts went there today, is awesome
Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 16:33 - Aug 23 with 762 viewsKieran_Knows

Nice places in Essex/south Suffolk to visit... preferably with a bit of seaside? on 08:36 - Aug 23 by GlebeTractor

I'd recommend Frinton, not much there, but a lovely beach, can go for a walk at the Naze in Walton, which is pretty, pretty easy to go shark tooth hunting there too... no joke!

http://www.discoveringfossils.co.uk/walton-on-the-naze-essex/

Would second this.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024