Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any oldies remember a Town player called Denzil Flanagan? 16:42 - Aug 6 with 1587 viewsRadlett_blue

Apparently he was an England amateur international left winger whom we signed from Walthamstow Avenue in the Ramsey era. I'm not sure if he played for the first team, but he played for the Reserves around 1957. Apparently he then moved on to Tooting & Mitcham in 1958 & played in their famous FA Cup run & later moved on to Chelmsford City, becoming a PE teacher in Clacton. I believe he also played hockey for England.
The reason I'm asking is because I sometimes play golf with his son, who knows I'm a Town fan.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Any oldies remember a Town player called Denzil Flanagan? on 16:46 - Aug 6 with 1568 viewsOldsmoker

A PE teacher!...and in Clacton.
No-one deserves that.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Any oldies remember a Town player called Denzil Flanagan? on 16:50 - Aug 6 with 1564 viewsfergalsharkey

i remember him well, left foot look a guided missile.

could have made it bigger but was always 2nd in line to mickey washington.

Poll: Cook out?

Any oldies remember a Town player called Denzil Flanagan? on 17:02 - Aug 6 with 1538 viewsPJH

I suppose I qualify as an oldie but I do not remember him.
I have in front of me at the moment the 1958/59 ITFC Supporters handbook and it seems he played most of the reserves games in 1957/58 as either an inside left or outside left.
He is listed in the teams as D.Flanagan rather than just his surname so that indicates that he played as an amateur.

Interestingly (or not) the average home attendance for Football Combination(Reserves) games in 1957/58 was 4388 and for first team league games 18284.

edit-in 1957/58 Denzil Flanaghan played 30 reserve games and scored 9 goals, in 1956/57
14 games and 2 goals.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2019 17:09]
Any oldies remember a Town player called Denzil Flanagan? on 17:09 - Aug 6 with 1518 viewsRadlett_blue

I have now found a mention of him in "The Men Who Made The Town" in the 1957-58 season:
"Local schoolteacher Denzil Flanagan, a regular in the Reserves, was selected to play for an FA amateur team against the Royal Navy." Not quite a Town legend, but maybe in those days we filled out the reserve side with a few local amateurs?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024