Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sutton Hoo 20:05 - Aug 5 with 1483 viewsBLUEBEAT

Checked out the revitalised Sutton Hoo site today.

Just had a £4M revamp and has been improved immensely.

Never forget the amazing history on our doorstep :)

Poll: W or W

Sutton Hoo on 20:24 - Aug 5 with 1407 viewsCoastalblue

Went there earlier in the year, wasn't fully open at that time but had a great walk, listened to a very good guided tour and lost my heart to a female member of the enactment group appearing who was dressed as a saxon.

If it's all fully open now I would suggest it as a great day out, my one and only criticism was they couldn't cope in the cafe/restaurant but think it was probably down to a number of new starters.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Sutton Hoo on 23:11 - Aug 5 with 1244 viewsGuthrum

Didn't they spend a load of money on the visitor centre (with the giant helmet sculpture) just a few years ago? Actually, maybe that was further back than I thought.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Sutton Hoo on 23:18 - Aug 5 with 1229 viewsBLUEBEAT

Sutton Hoo on 23:11 - Aug 5 by Guthrum

Didn't they spend a load of money on the visitor centre (with the giant helmet sculpture) just a few years ago? Actually, maybe that was further back than I thought.

They’ve had a further lottery fund injection and additional self-funding.

The rather splendid giant helmet sculpture has been brought down from above the Great Hall entrance to ground level.

A new sculpture of the burial ship is exact to original size and looks magnificent.

Poll: W or W

Sutton Hoo on 23:32 - Aug 5 with 1198 viewsPhilTWTD

Sutton Hoo on 23:11 - Aug 5 by Guthrum

Yes, wasn't that long ago at all, within the last 10 years anyway I'm sure.
Sutton Hoo on 23:36 - Aug 5 with 1185 viewsfactual_blue

Sutton Hoo on 20:24 - Aug 5 by Coastalblue

Went there earlier in the year, wasn't fully open at that time but had a great walk, listened to a very good guided tour and lost my heart to a female member of the enactment group appearing who was dressed as a saxon.

If it's all fully open now I would suggest it as a great day out, my one and only criticism was they couldn't cope in the cafe/restaurant but think it was probably down to a number of new starters.

We were there a couple of weeks ago. Although the new exhibition wasn't open, it was still a great place to visit. The view over the Deben alone is worth the entrance. They told us there's going to be a ferry across from Sutton Hoo to Woodbridge before long. That, plus the tower they're building, will make it all a great place to visit. And for free too*

*Terms and conditions apply.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Sutton Hoo on 00:18 - Aug 6 with 1151 viewsstonojnr

Sutton Hoo on 23:32 - Aug 5 by PhilTWTD

Yes, wasn't that long ago at all, within the last 10 years anyway I'm sure.

been longer than that :) the treasury room/exhibition hall opened, along with the sculpture of the Sutton Hoo helmet displayed on its entrance, back in 2002.

it was designed by Rick Kirby, who also did the flying people statues up at Ravenswood, and the "Hands" in Woodbridge
Sutton Hoo on 00:25 - Aug 6 with 1147 viewsPhilTWTD

Sutton Hoo on 00:18 - Aug 6 by stonojnr

been longer than that :) the treasury room/exhibition hall opened, along with the sculpture of the Sutton Hoo helmet displayed on its entrance, back in 2002.

it was designed by Rick Kirby, who also did the flying people statues up at Ravenswood, and the "Hands" in Woodbridge

Was it really? Thought it opened when I was living out this way, but obviously not.

[Edit] Indeed, you're right (not sure why it's in the Telegraph's gardening section unless they deem all forms of digging gardening): https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/3298422/Return-to-Sutton-Hoo.html

This post has been edited by an administrator
Sutton Hoo on 07:34 - Aug 6 with 938 viewsGuthrum

Sutton Hoo on 23:18 - Aug 5 by BLUEBEAT

They’ve had a further lottery fund injection and additional self-funding.

The rather splendid giant helmet sculpture has been brought down from above the Great Hall entrance to ground level.

A new sculpture of the burial ship is exact to original size and looks magnificent.

Good stuff. Will have to make another visit.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024