Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 1st Test Day 5 08:07 - Aug 5 with 2940 viewsReuser_is_God

What are we all thinking then?

If we are to lose then I just hope we take it deep. This can’t be all over by mid afternoon. I do however think we will do it today, just have a feeling. It’s been a match which has mostly consisted of some proper test match batting barring a mad hour from each side in their 1st innings.

Dig in lads.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:24 - Aug 5 with 721 viewsReuser_is_God

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:23 - Aug 5 by chicoazul

Foakes is a very good shout. Shift Root to 4, Bairstow to 3 (or even Buttler..?) and i'm having that team definitely.

Bairstow is nowhere near no.3 in current form.

Evans out

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:27 - Aug 5 with 716 viewsitfcjoe

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:21 - Aug 5 by Herbivore

Bairstow is not remotely close to being a number 3 test batsman.

I think he needs to become one though, he's too good to bat at 6/7 and with the lack of top order batsmen we have someone who can be world class needs to step up there.

He isn't winning us games at 6/7 in the way a Glichrist did for Aussie

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:29 - Aug 5 with 701 viewsHerbivore

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:27 - Aug 5 by itfcjoe

I think he needs to become one though, he's too good to bat at 6/7 and with the lack of top order batsmen we have someone who can be world class needs to step up there.

I genuinely think Stokes has more potential to be a number 3 batsman than Bairstow does. He's got better technique and is more disciplined.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:30 - Aug 5 with 711 viewschicoazul

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:24 - Aug 5 by Reuser_is_God

Bairstow is nowhere near no.3 in current form.

Nor is anyone else! And I just think Root is sooooo good at 4 that it seems such a shame to move him.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:32 - Aug 5 with 707 viewsReuser_is_God

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:30 - Aug 5 by chicoazul

Nor is anyone else! And I just think Root is sooooo good at 4 that it seems such a shame to move him.

I'd agree with Herbi on this & have Stokes at 3 if we had to have someone else other than Root.

Evans out

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:35 - Aug 5 with 703 viewsitfcjoe

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:29 - Aug 5 by Herbivore

I genuinely think Stokes has more potential to be a number 3 batsman than Bairstow does. He's got better technique and is more disciplined.

Yep, could see that as a decent option - Bairstow gets beaten too often between bat and pad in ODIs which would be a big concern for tests - he gets too many ducks, and is too streaky at the start of his innings.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:35 - Aug 5 with 702 viewschicoazul

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:27 - Aug 5 by itfcjoe

I have Herbivore on ignore but I imagine he is replying to me as I know he cant help himself, obsessed with my attention as he is. Bairstow averages at 3 just under what he averaged at 7 and he scored a ton away at Sri Lanka in some very tough conditions playing there.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:37 - Aug 5 with 700 viewschicoazul

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:32 - Aug 5 by Reuser_is_God

I'd agree with Herbi on this & have Stokes at 3 if we had to have someone else other than Root.

Maybe, maybe. We need to do something after all. But Bairstow scored a ton playing at 3 in the winter.

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 10:59 - Aug 5 with 667 viewsReuser_is_God

Christ I'm nervous, not going to be able to listen to this.

Evans out

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 11:14 - Aug 5 with 654 viewsHerbivore

That's a really poor start. Not a great way to get out from Burns there, we needed our openers to see off the first hour at least.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 14:49 - Aug 5 with 617 viewschicoazul

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:40 - Aug 5 by chicoazul

All out for 180 or so. And that's without them even playing Starc and Hazlewood.

lol

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 18:04 - Aug 5 with 590 viewsRadlett_blue

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:30 - Aug 5 by chicoazul

Root is technically England's best batsman and he's going to score runs wherever he bats in the order. With no obvious #3, it seems that Root is best placed to bat there.
I thought Burns was due for the chop before this Test; he's proven me wrong but will be interesting to see if he can score consistently.
Roy did enough to merit another go, but he's always going to be a frustrating player in the ways that he gets out. Today's shot was plain awful. He'll need to come off a few times to justify his selection although there will inevitably be failures along the way, no-one else is banging the door down.
Hence Denly might also survive. Him Buttler & Bairstow contributed 49 runs in 6 completed innings in this Test but you can't drop all of them.
Moeen is also a worry. Still hopelessly out of form with the bat & took 3 very expensive wickets. Has a good record bowling in England but the Aussies seem to treat him with disdain & he was comprehensively out-bowled by Lyon.
Archer for Anderson in the next Test I guess.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 18:19 - Aug 5 with 583 viewsElephantintheRoom

Dont compare rounders and kiddies bsh bosh with test cricket. 240 would have been an improbable last day target. An average batting side against top class fast bowling and spin on the last day of a test match - it was only ever going to end one way without rain.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 18:26 - Aug 5 with 577 viewsDennyx4

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 18:04 - Aug 5 by Radlett_blue

Root is technically England's best batsman and he's going to score runs wherever he bats in the order. With no obvious #3, it seems that Root is best placed to bat there.
I thought Burns was due for the chop before this Test; he's proven me wrong but will be interesting to see if he can score consistently.
Roy did enough to merit another go, but he's always going to be a frustrating player in the ways that he gets out. Today's shot was plain awful. He'll need to come off a few times to justify his selection although there will inevitably be failures along the way, no-one else is banging the door down.
Hence Denly might also survive. Him Buttler & Bairstow contributed 49 runs in 6 completed innings in this Test but you can't drop all of them.
Moeen is also a worry. Still hopelessly out of form with the bat & took 3 very expensive wickets. Has a good record bowling in England but the Aussies seem to treat him with disdain & he was comprehensively out-bowled by Lyon.
Archer for Anderson in the next Test I guess.

Is it too simple to say we would have won the game if Anderson was fit?

Two changes for me Archer and Leach for Anderson and Ali
Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 18:54 - Aug 5 with 565 viewsgordon

Some admirable optimism on this thread! The selectors have got a pretty big head-ache now. In the batting, Joe Denly and Jonny Bairstow aren't close to being good enough at the moment, Bairstow's keeping was pretty poor at times as well in the bits I saw. I can't see how Buttler is a test no. 5 either, he's no more than a no. 7, but Bairstow is the same.

Ben Foakes is a possibility, or they could just give the gloves to Buttler. Sam Northeast, Dom Sibley, Liam Livingstone, Dawid Malan again?

One of the additional problems they've got is that the domestic season is right in the middle of the T20, the domestic teams haven't played first-class matches since the end of June, and the next round of county championship matches doesn't finish until the day before the third test starts.

My team would be this, with Archer coming in if definitely fit:

Burns
Roy
Northeast
Root
Livingston / Sibley
Stokes
Buttler (wk)
Curran
Woakes
Broad
Leach
[Post edited 5 Aug 2019 18:54]
Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 19:21 - Aug 5 with 559 viewsTrequartista

I can't understand this game. If you can't win and you can only draw, why are you trying to score runs at the risk of losing wickets? Can't they just stand there French Cricket style protecting the stumps?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 19:27 - Aug 5 with 554 viewsghostofescobar

I reckon we’ll lose comfortably by around 250 runs.

GhostOfEscobar

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 19:29 - Aug 5 with 553 viewsgordon

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 19:21 - Aug 5 by Trequartista

I can't understand this game. If you can't win and you can only draw, why are you trying to score runs at the risk of losing wickets? Can't they just stand there French Cricket style protecting the stumps?

That's how they used to do it in these situations (basically). These days they get bored and think wouldn't it be great if I could just hit a few sixes and make the crowd roar. It's because they play so much TwentyTwenty Cricket.
Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 21:59 - Aug 5 with 516 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 18:54 - Aug 5 by gordon

Some admirable optimism on this thread! The selectors have got a pretty big head-ache now. In the batting, Joe Denly and Jonny Bairstow aren't close to being good enough at the moment, Bairstow's keeping was pretty poor at times as well in the bits I saw. I can't see how Buttler is a test no. 5 either, he's no more than a no. 7, but Bairstow is the same.

Ben Foakes is a possibility, or they could just give the gloves to Buttler. Sam Northeast, Dom Sibley, Liam Livingstone, Dawid Malan again?

One of the additional problems they've got is that the domestic season is right in the middle of the T20, the domestic teams haven't played first-class matches since the end of June, and the next round of county championship matches doesn't finish until the day before the third test starts.

My team would be this, with Archer coming in if definitely fit:

Burns
Roy
Northeast
Root
Livingston / Sibley
Stokes
Buttler (wk)
Curran
Woakes
Broad
Leach
[Post edited 5 Aug 2019 18:54]

Pretty much agree with all of that. To my mind playing Buttler and Bairstow in the same test side is the cricketing equivalent of trying to shoehorn Lampard and Gerrard into the same side - there’s only room for one to keep/bat 7.

I’d consider playing Stone over Curran if the wicket has some pace.

Poll: Our final position

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024