Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that 09:50 - Aug 2 with 1921 viewsSamWhiteUK

I struggle to grasp why he can't see that a football club is a business like any other? "You have to spend money to make money", I believe is the old saying. It's not just going to fall in your lap
Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 11:45 - Aug 2 with 544 viewsBluefish

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 11:43 - Aug 2 by BtreeBlueBlood

Quite a few have been in freefall prior to their current positions.

He is thinking current form = well run

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 12:10 - Aug 2 with 529 viewsSamWhiteUK

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 11:01 - Aug 2 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Liverpool
Crystal Palace
Bournemouth
Wolves
Sheffield United
Brentford
Huddersfield
Peterborough
Accrington
Rochdale

Took me seconds.

Spurs
Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 13:51 - Aug 2 with 502 viewsElderGrizzly

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 11:36 - Aug 2 by Bluefish

I've got another one for you. Billericay, they've won loads of promotions so they must be well run
[Post edited 2 Aug 2019 11:41]

WarktheWark is the user KuqiCoup isn’t he?

It explains a lot anyway
Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 13:52 - Aug 2 with 495 viewsSpruceMoose

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 13:51 - Aug 2 by ElderGrizzly

WarktheWark is the user KuqiCoup isn’t he?

It explains a lot anyway

Word on the street is Dan Ford

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 16:27 - Aug 2 with 474 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:07 - Aug 2 by ElderGrizzly

And you can only perform that trick once. What do they sell next?

They've just spent 10m on someone from Arsenal who played in league one last year. Mental.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 16:40 - Aug 2 with 465 viewsmrshallisfit

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:05 - Aug 2 by JammyDodgerrr

But they've now had to fake sell their own stadium to their owner and lease it back because they have to plug their losses. What they are doing is not sustainable.

As already posted - Evans is a smart businessman and is trying to plug the losses from a company which is severely in the red.

A smart business he may be. A smart football club he is not.
Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 08:27 - Aug 3 with 442 viewsagentp

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:21 - Aug 2 by WarkTheWarkITFC

The thing I am p*ssed off about it having about £3m in from sell ons that we didn't budget for.

I know Evans can look at that as money to offset.

But promotion immediately earns us £7m more each year. I don't know how the contracts work and whether any wage cuts would then go back up, but you'd like to think we'd be about break even if we do with the players we now have.

Give Lambert £1m - £1.5m of that. Pretend Mings never went anywhere. Bank the rest as a lovely bonus and let the man bring in one or two quality players in areas of need.

I'm not asking Evans to spend money we didn't have. I expected it. But once we got several million in that we couldn't have planned for, he has to give Lambert a little bit to improve our chances of bouncing straight back.

There is no naivety. In football - and other loss making businesses, you are constantly monitoring potential income streams. I can assure you that the club would have a sell on expectancy, you just can't budget for it. The way agents work - and the relationships they have with owners/staff means that most clubs are generally well aware of who may move on.
The clubs wouldn't necessarily know how much they are likely to receive, but to be honest when it's your business you generally have a decent idea. There is certainly no bonus here. slightly less or slightly more was either hoped for or expected.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 08:36 - Aug 3 with 439 viewsNaylorsboots

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 09:57 - Aug 2 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Because he is clever enough to know that modern football is f*cked.

And that last year, there was no point chucking £30m in each season on the 5% chance we will get promoted to the Premier League (see Derby).

The best case was for him to just lose £6m for a 1% chance of promotion.

Now, he has his hands tied by the League One rules and doesn't feel he needs to spend more millions when we have a side that should be good enough to go up.

Depressingly, Evans knows exactly what he is doing. Some of it isn't even his fault. It's football over the last 10 years.

It's teams like Middlesbrough paying £15m for strikers that aren't any better than what they already have!

How is it teams like Middlesbrough can spend that sort of money and get away with it? Its convenient for Evans to say he is keeping to the rules. People buy inti it and he is let off the hook over and over.
Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 08:39 - Aug 3 with 434 viewsNotMarcusEvans

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 08:36 - Aug 3 by Naylorsboots

How is it teams like Middlesbrough can spend that sort of money and get away with it? Its convenient for Evans to say he is keeping to the rules. People buy inti it and he is let off the hook over and over.

Hey, don't blame him, I'm just keeping to the rules. Bit early here in Barbados but can't wait for our first season in League One!
Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 08:42 - Aug 3 with 424 viewsNaylorsboots

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 08:39 - Aug 3 by NotMarcusEvans

Hey, don't blame him, I'm just keeping to the rules. Bit early here in Barbados but can't wait for our first season in League One!

Barbados is so true. Sitting on his backside, sunning himself. Probably doesnt even know the season starts today.
Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 08:51 - Aug 3 with 414 viewshaynes_toe1

Agree with itfcjoe, it's not even the money it's also the decision making and importantly, the people he chooses to employ to make decisions for him.

You dont need lots of money to get out of the Championship. Even Sheff Utd and Norwich last season spent nothing near the Derby comparisons.
Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 09:02 - Aug 3 with 404 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 11:43 - Aug 2 by BtreeBlueBlood

Quite a few have been in freefall prior to their current positions.

"prior to their current positions".

So, well run NOW then?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024