Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some context around us having 'no money'... 09:27 - Jul 10 with 5215 viewsHerbivore

...and around life in League 1 generally, especially from a financial point of view. The figures are educated guesses but don't look to be miles out. As some of us have said, with our squad and budget we should be aiming for top 6 as a minimum.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/how-will-ipswich-town-s-budget-compare-to-rest-of-l

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 11:59 - Jul 10 with 1189 viewsKieran_Knows

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 11:57 - Jul 10 by artsbossbeard

I'm kinda on the same lines, Dan.

I've always viewed myself as a positive Town fan in the midst of a lot of moaning but I've got a"Stranger Things" type feeling at the base of my neck about next season and that somehow we'll implode.

I'm kind of the same, although I think it'll go 1 of 2 ways where we either win the League at a canter (and all the worrying was for nothing) or we'll finish in the bottom half of the league. Nothing in between.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 12:00 - Jul 10 with 1189 viewsHerbivore

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 11:52 - Jul 10 by DanTheMan

I think our squad is unbalanced and we're heavily relying on younger players being able to fill the gaps. Also injuries haven't been kind to us in recent years and I don't have a lot of faith in Lambert.

I might be entirely wrong of course. Hopefully I am, I'm usually really positive about how we're going to do but I just get the feeling we're on a bit of a Coventry trajectory.

Coventry were a basket case though. We aren't. Most of the youngsters that will feature next season have played d in the Championship. There's two months left of the transfer window for us to add a couple to address the balance of the squad. I look at how other sides coming down have done, many in worse shape than us on and off the pitch, and I just don't get some of the pessimism about our chances.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 12:01 - Jul 10 with 1187 viewsBlueBlood90

Agree with you completely

I really don't like the noises that Lambert has been making this past week. Our squad cost nearly £6m and includes players like Nsiala and Nolan who have been in team of the season at this level.

We've also tripled Norwood's wages that he was offered from a divisional rival so that paints a far different story to what Lambert is saying.

Anything less than top 6 would be unacceptable in my eyes.

Poll: How many points will we get from Coventry and Huddersfield?

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 12:05 - Jul 10 with 1172 viewspickles110564

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 09:50 - Jul 10 by Herbivore

Completely agree with that. I've seen a quite ridiculous amount of doom and gloom from some quarters, lots of predictions of a bottom half finish. I find it all totally bizarre. We clearly have one of the best squads and biggest budgets in the league, we should be aiming to bounce straight back.

It would be interesting to know where supporters had us finishing when Hurst took over?
Some context around us having 'no money'... on 12:07 - Jul 10 with 1164 viewsartsbossbeard

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 12:05 - Jul 10 by pickles110564

It would be interesting to know where supporters had us finishing when Hurst took over?

Before the Braintree away friendly: Kicking on from where MM left us and punching our way into the play offs.

After the Braintree away friendly: Mid to bottom of the table but safe in the knowledge that there were 3 teams worse than Town...

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 12:07 - Jul 10 with 1164 viewsportmanking

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:47 - Jul 10 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I think it works a bit differently from the Premiership - teams that come down have invariably entered panic mode round a bout March time of the year they come down and have to significantly slash costs. Generally that means a new(ish) manager, massive turnover of players and the squad resembling a mix of the new, the old and past it and the expensive and doesn’t want to be there but can’t shift, with the teams better players off to pastures new

Championship to League One is nowhere near as dramatic as the drop in revenue isn’t as significant, which I expect is part of the reason relegated sides don’t do so badly

Surely the drop in revenue (in percentage terms) from Champ to League One is WORSE than the Premiership?!

To go from £7m to £700,000 is a 90% drop, without the safety net of parachute payments for two seasons too...
Some context around us having 'no money'... on 12:08 - Jul 10 with 1159 viewsDanTheMan

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 12:00 - Jul 10 by Herbivore

Coventry were a basket case though. We aren't. Most of the youngsters that will feature next season have played d in the Championship. There's two months left of the transfer window for us to add a couple to address the balance of the squad. I look at how other sides coming down have done, many in worse shape than us on and off the pitch, and I just don't get some of the pessimism about our chances.

It might just be my own hangover from being utterly dreadful last year, especially with people being almost positive about how we were playing which was just bizarre for me.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 12:31 - Jul 10 with 1113 viewsSuperblue95

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 11:20 - Jul 10 by DanTheMan

That's where I am. I'm pretty concerned we're not going to finish in the playoff positions.

I think we will make the Play Offs but I’d be surprised if we won them.

Don’t we have the second worst record in the Play Offs after Preston? Or have I imagined that?

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Login to get fewer ads

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 12:58 - Jul 10 with 1077 viewsWestcountryblue

I really don't think we need to spend any money on fees.

We will probably play a diamond, with Norward and Judge up top, a combination that oozes quality at this level. In our midfield we have outstanding quality in the likes of Huws, Bishop, Nolan, Skuse, Dozzell etc...who would walk into any team in the division. I also think that our wide options are good, as Lankester and Edwards are exciting players who have the ability to get forward and score goals with people like Roberts and Rowe being good quality back up players at that level.

We have two outstanding goalkeepers, but we are perhaps a 3rd/4th choice striker and centre back off being an outstanding team. A few question marks at full back, but nothing major with Emmanuel and Donacien having a good pedigree at that level.

I think the sell on clause money we have just gained will somewhat loosen the purse strings for a couple of frees and a loanee, which is all we need to finish our squad.

It's a massive advantage that an overhaul hasn't taken place, as we go into the season with good continuity and not in transition.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2019 12:59]
Some context around us having 'no money'... on 12:58 - Jul 10 with 1076 viewsBluedandy

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 11:49 - Jul 10 by Herbivore

Has anyone actually said promotion is in the bag or remotely similar?

No that's the point .... why hype expectations in early July .... but I would imagine Lambert is much more confident of a top 6 finish and/or promotion than the newspaper quotes from Monday would imply.
Some context around us having 'no money'... on 13:00 - Jul 10 with 1066 viewsJ2BLUE

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:28 - Jul 10 by Garv

Keeping the squad together is important. This is why I'm a bit peeved we sold Harrison.

Then again, he was probably desperate to go after Norwood joining and Jacket wanting him so much.

It wouldn't surprise me if Harrison hits 20 next season. If Lambert doesn't like him, that's fair enough but I think he will do well.

I would be much happier with a striker and CB in. Keane would be fine IMO. Then it's just a CB we need.

People who know their stuff seem convinced by Nydam as a LB option so that's good enough for me.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 18:23 - Jul 10 with 984 viewsbobbyramsey

Puts it all into perspective really, a very encouraging read. But if we don't "smash it" who do we blame?
Some context around us having 'no money'... on 18:53 - Jul 10 with 965 viewsPJH

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 12:05 - Jul 10 by pickles110564

Not sure about my thoughts when he took over but by the end of July last year I was fearing relegation and stated that in a PM to another poster who was also having similar thoughts.
Some context around us having 'no money'... on 18:57 - Jul 10 with 958 viewsJ2BLUE

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 18:53 - Jul 10 by PJH

Not sure about my thoughts when he took over but by the end of July last year I was fearing relegation and stated that in a PM to another poster who was also having similar thoughts.

Yea I still have that PM

Truly impaired.

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 19:00 - Jul 10 with 952 viewsPJH

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 18:57 - Jul 10 by J2BLUE

Yea I still have that PM

Did I send to you as well?
Some context around us having 'no money'... on 19:02 - Jul 10 with 947 viewsJ2BLUE

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 19:00 - Jul 10 by PJH

Did I send to you as well?

No, I just saw the opportunity to look informed as the 'other poster' but now you've ruined it.

Truly impaired.

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 19:05 - Jul 10 with 938 viewsPJH

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 19:02 - Jul 10 by J2BLUE

No, I just saw the opportunity to look informed as the 'other poster' but now you've ruined it.

I know although the 'other poster' is almost as famous as you on here.
Some context around us having 'no money'... on 19:13 - Jul 10 with 918 viewsJ2BLUE

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 19:05 - Jul 10 by PJH

I know although the 'other poster' is almost as famous as you on here.

Can't think of anyone who comes close to be honest.

Truly impaired.

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 19:15 - Jul 10 with 911 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 12:07 - Jul 10 by portmanking

Surely the drop in revenue (in percentage terms) from Champ to League One is WORSE than the Premiership?!

To go from £7m to £700,000 is a 90% drop, without the safety net of parachute payments for two seasons too...

That may be true, but it’s still far more difficult to absorb the impact of losing £10’s of millions (and the same again for the next couple of years if not promoted immediately) than it is losing c£6m...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024