Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Northern press getting grumpy 10:33 - Jun 10 with 3810 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jun/10/northern-newspapers-demand-revol

I agree actually. Definitely time the north stopped being a dead weight on this country and pulled its socks oop. Oh and thanks for the Brexit, whippet worryers. .

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Northern press getting grumpy on 10:48 - Jun 10 with 3345 viewsWeWereZombies

Interesting article, I think the BBC has definitely benefited by putting some of its centralised production out to Manchester. But there is also an argument on the 'think globally, act locally' scale as well, in that better distribution networks (in terms of information flows and decision making, not just transport logistics) can give a more even spread of employment and power (east and west as well as north) without losing economies of scale.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Northern press getting grumpy on 10:55 - Jun 10 with 3320 viewsSwansea_Blue

Same argument can be made for pretty much any of the regions (although N Ireland seem to be doing quite well out of this government lately).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Northern press getting grumpy on 11:05 - Jun 10 with 3298 viewsgiant_stow

Northern press getting grumpy on 10:48 - Jun 10 by WeWereZombies

Interesting article, I think the BBC has definitely benefited by putting some of its centralised production out to Manchester. But there is also an argument on the 'think globally, act locally' scale as well, in that better distribution networks (in terms of information flows and decision making, not just transport logistics) can give a more even spread of employment and power (east and west as well as north) without losing economies of scale.

Agreed, the beeb move has been a good thing.

In general, seems to me that the north needs boosting and help to reach it's proper potential. If we want to improve the country and it's prosperity, it seems like the obvious place to start especially as Wales, NI and Scotland have their own assemblies to fight their corners.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Northern press getting grumpy on 11:05 - Jun 10 with 3300 viewsWeWereZombies

Northern press getting grumpy on 10:55 - Jun 10 by Swansea_Blue

Same argument can be made for pretty much any of the regions (although N Ireland seem to be doing quite well out of this government lately).

It is an ongoing process of course but it might be more helpful to describe Northern Ireland (and Wales) as a country rather than a region.

Northern press getting grumpy on 11:10 - Jun 10 with 3273 viewsNo9

The deadly duo, Cameron & Osborn made much of the Northern powerhouse = words only.
Much of their time was spent wooing the Chinese.
Northern press getting grumpy on 11:20 - Jun 10 with 3249 viewsOldsmoker

Northern press getting grumpy on 11:05 - Jun 10 by WeWereZombies

It is an ongoing process of course but it might be more helpful to describe Northern Ireland (and Wales) as a country rather than a region.

Am I right when I say the Union Jack flag is the Scottish and England flags combined. The NI and Welsh flags aren't part of the Union Jack but those countries are part of the union.
The phrases "England and Wales", "Great Britain and Northern Ireland" tells me that they are the junior partners in the Union.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Northern press getting grumpy on 11:21 - Jun 10 with 3237 viewsDarth_Koont

Note: not national newspapers as yet.

But the penny is starting to drop. Devolving powers is a key part but the underlying lack of investment over successive governments is still the biggest issue.

Pronouns: He/Him

Northern press getting grumpy on 11:26 - Jun 10 with 3210 viewsWeWereZombies

Northern press getting grumpy on 11:20 - Jun 10 by Oldsmoker

Am I right when I say the Union Jack flag is the Scottish and England flags combined. The NI and Welsh flags aren't part of the Union Jack but those countries are part of the union.
The phrases "England and Wales", "Great Britain and Northern Ireland" tells me that they are the junior partners in the Union.

The Union flag does have the Saltire of St. Patrick in it but whether that is the flag of Northern Ireland is as clear as mud:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick%27s_Saltire#To_represent_Ireland_or_

Login to get fewer ads

Northern press getting grumpy on 11:29 - Jun 10 with 3193 viewsDarth_Koont

Northern press getting grumpy on 11:20 - Jun 10 by Oldsmoker

Wales was already "part" of England when the Union flag was designed but the Irish St Patrick's cross is also in there. And Great Britain and Norther Ireland is just geographic, doesn't mean that NI is less part of the UK.

Of course, the regions including the North are in practice less of the UK but that's through government policy and our outdated centralised approach.

Northern press getting grumpy on 11:41 - Jun 10 with 3140 viewsBluetaff

Sadly Wales isn't classified as a country (Northern Ireland isn't universally accepted as one but that's an entirely different argument...)

Blog: The National Conundrum

Northern press getting grumpy on 11:47 - Jun 10 with 3122 viewsTractorWood

Northern press getting grumpy on 11:21 - Jun 10 by Darth_Koont

Note: not national newspapers as yet.

But the penny is starting to drop. Devolving powers is a key part but the underlying lack of investment over successive governments is still the biggest issue.

I think they have a point on rail funding. If it starts from or goes to London, it gets investment, if it doesn't probably slow, infrequent, expensive, unreliable and borderline pointless. Like Cambridge to Ipswich.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Northern press getting grumpy on 12:06 - Jun 10 with 3077 viewsPinewoodblue

It s only when you compare government spending in the north of England with spending in London, Wales Scotland or northern Ireland that the north seems hard done by.

Per capita spending in the north is above the average for England as a whole. East, South East, South West England and East midlands spend is below average. 10% below in East while north is 5% above.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN04033

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Northern press getting grumpy on 12:12 - Jun 10 with 3048 viewsDarth_Koont

Northern press getting grumpy on 12:06 - Jun 10 by Pinewoodblue

It s only when you compare government spending in the north of England with spending in London, Wales Scotland or northern Ireland that the north seems hard done by.

Per capita spending in the north is above the average for England as a whole. East, South East, South West England and East midlands spend is below average. 10% below in East while north is 5% above.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN04033

But that's subsidizing a loss and paying for inordinate social costs. This is the core problem when we "support" regions but don't actually give them the means or the opportunities to support themselves better.

That even something as relatively unambitious as the Northern Powerhouse has struggled to get off the ground shows that it's not just a lack of money but an almost complete lack of political will.

Northern press getting grumpy on 12:12 - Jun 10 with 3047 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Yay, Ulla going for yet more infighting and division! Good work.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Northern press getting grumpy on 12:23 - Jun 10 with 3011 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nah, treat them mean, keep them keen and all that

You're right of course we should acknowledge the national identity of these proud countries of the UK. Just that politically they're often referred to as regions.

Whatever nomenclature we use, it remains that they are often somewhat neglected by Westminster (as is the NE, NW, Cornwall/Devon, parts of the midlands, etc). Mind you, it's no different here in Wales where the Assembly seem reluctant to invest outside of the cardiff/Newport bubble.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 12:24]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Northern press getting grumpy on 12:38 - Jun 10 with 2962 viewsmrshallisfit

Northern press getting grumpy on 11:10 - Jun 10 by No9

The deadly duo, Cameron & Osborn made much of the Northern powerhouse = words only.
Much of their time was spent wooing the Chinese.

Funny that. The manager of our local Chinese is called Mr Wo.
Northern press getting grumpy on 12:53 - Jun 10 with 2935 viewsgiant_stow

Northern press getting grumpy on 12:12 - Jun 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Yay, Ulla going for yet more infighting and division! Good work.

I beg your pardon!?

(everyone seems to have ignored my gentle pointless jibes, which is very grown up of them - far more grown up than me)

Northern press getting grumpy on 12:54 - Jun 10 with 2932 viewsWeWereZombies

Northern press getting grumpy on 11:41 - Jun 10 by Bluetaff

Sadly Wales isn't classified as a country (Northern Ireland isn't universally accepted as one but that's an entirely different argument...)

Not an absolute definitive judgement, but they are usually careful about these things, Wikipedia have Wales down as a country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales

On a tangent, I watched a curious documentary off the iPlayer earlier:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08y60r0/bute-the-scot-who-spent-a-welsh-f

Northern press getting grumpy on 13:11 - Jun 10 with 2895 viewschicoazul

Draw a line from Kings Lynn down to Bristol. Everything below the line is New England. Everything else can jump in with Scotland and the rest of the separatists.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Northern press getting grumpy on 13:31 - Jun 10 with 2860 viewsgiant_stow

Northern press getting grumpy on 13:11 - Jun 10 by chicoazul

Draw a line from Kings Lynn down to Bristol. Everything below the line is New England. Everything else can jump in with Scotland and the rest of the separatists.

Thank you Chico - finally someone engages properly. Perhaps we could issue a limited number of visas to the New North so they could come spend some time somewhere nice on their holidays.

Northern press getting grumpy on 13:38 - Jun 10 with 2846 viewsWeWereZombies

Northern press getting grumpy on 13:31 - Jun 10 by giant_stow

Thank you Chico - finally someone engages properly. Perhaps we could issue a limited number of visas to the New North so they could come spend some time somewhere nice on their holidays.

I think you need to clarify which side of the line Kings Lynn is before you start making judgements like that...

Northern press getting grumpy on 13:46 - Jun 10 with 2832 viewsgiant_stow

Northern press getting grumpy on 13:38 - Jun 10 by WeWereZombies

I think you need to clarify which side of the line Kings Lynn is before you start making judgements like that...

The line would go 1 mile just to the south of Kings Lynne as I gather its not very lovely, so the New North can have it.

Northern press getting grumpy on 13:47 - Jun 10 with 2824 viewsBluetaff

Northern press getting grumpy on 12:54 - Jun 10 by WeWereZombies

Not an absolute definitive judgement, but they are usually careful about these things, Wikipedia have Wales down as a country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales

On a tangent, I watched a curious documentary off the iPlayer earlier:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08y60r0/bute-the-scot-who-spent-a-welsh-f

We are a principality, huge bone of contention but our status of 'Country' hasn't officially existed for a very long time and hence why we aren't represented on the flag of the UK and NI

Blog: The National Conundrum

Northern press getting grumpy on 13:50 - Jun 10 with 2820 viewschicoazul

Northern press getting grumpy on 13:31 - Jun 10 by giant_stow

Scotland will basically become a Pontins with some whiskey distilleries and Wales will be a big farm. If we can keep the locals off the booze for long enough it could work quite nicely. Dunno what to do with Sunderland and Middlesboro though. Good spot to get cheap Au Pairs maybe? I quite like the accent.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Northern press getting grumpy on 14:40 - Jun 10 with 2767 viewsPinewoodblue

Northern press getting grumpy on 13:38 - Jun 10 by WeWereZombies

Too generous the line should curve round, through Cambridgeshire and end just north of Southwold

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024