Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for 22:06 - Mar 26 with 4786 viewstpsontour

Martyn Waghorn interview today with Sunderland fanzine Roker Report:

RR: You’ve played under some huge names. Roy Keane, Sven-Goran Eriksson and now Frank Lampard but who was the best and worst manager you’ve played under and why?

MW: I wouldn’t say ‘worst manager’ but my season under Sven was difficult and I didn’t really enjoy it. I had a difficult injury and was in and out of form. A lot of things went wrong, we had a big squad and I was in and out of it. So under Sven was my worst time.

The best is difficult, because I’ve had so many good managers for so many good reasons. The gaffer now [Frank Lampard} - what he had achieved in his time as a player and the experience he brings is invaluable at this stage in my career, he’s helping my progress and get better. I’m loving my football under him at the moment.

Roy gave me my chance and knew what I was about and knew what I wanted to do. Unfortunately I didn’t play under him enough because I went on loan and when I came back he had left. But that season where he got us out of the Championship shows you how good he was. He dragged the club from the bottom and turned the entire club around. When I played under him, and where I played under him was brilliant.

I would have the say the best is Mick McCarthy for what he did for me last year though, to be honest. He gave me the chance to play back in the Championship, he got me out of Rangers when I was told I could leave. I had the best year of my career under him. He put his arm around my shoulder, supported me, gave me the opportunity and the platform to go and do my stuff. He was brilliant for me and the squad was full of good lads which had been build by Mick and his team.

It just felt like we had loads in common. He knew what I brought and who I was as a player and brought the best out in me.

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2019/3/26/18228184/interview-roker-report-meets

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 11:25 - Mar 27 with 580 viewsPJH

Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 10:54 - Mar 27 by ITFC_Forever

Not so sure about Webster as he left so early in the summer..... I think Hurst used him as a sacrificial lamb to bring in some money to be able to use in the transfer market - I would suggest the conversation ME and Hurst had was that there was not much of a transfer budget, but anything PH could raise by selling players he could keep xx % of it for use for signing players.

That is quite likely correct but there was no need for the squad that we had in May to be largely ripped apart and more or less replaced.
I think that anyone sensible would have just kept the better players and built on what we had-clearly Webster,Waghorn and Garner were three of the better players.
Regrettably we will never know but my view is that ITFC with the squad that we had ten months ago should not and would not be anywhere near the relegation places.
Martyn Waghorn interview today: Mick the best manager I've played for on 14:33 - Mar 27 with 525 viewsPositivelyPortman

Nobody could deny what MM achieved under the financial constraints imposed on him, and indeed that he was loved by the team that he’d assembled.
However, his final couple of years were plagued by pigheadedness and consequently produced football of the dullest nature.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024