Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The squad for next season - complete rebuild required 08:53 - Mar 3 with 5162 viewsNuggets

Following this awful season, and the two previous years of underwhelming, often stale football, I think we need a clear out and to a big rebuild in the summer to have a squad capable of a) playing attacking football and b) possessing the winning mentality for promotion.

I think what I’d do is get rid of both Bart and Gerken, the former needs to get off the wage bill and the latter isn’t good enough. Bring in an experienced goalkeeper who talks to his defence (needed if we’re playing a young team) and then maybe look to play Harry Wright in the EFL Trophy and as backup.

I’d axe Spence, Knudsen, Collins (he wouldn’t drop down anyway), and Donacien. Bring in a left back and a right back to start (jury is out on Bree) with Emmanuel and Kenlock as understudies and a final year’s chance to see if they are capable of playing League One football for us. Woolfenden, Nsiala, Chambers, and an experienced centre back, maybe Curtis Tilt at Blackpool who we were linked with in the summer, with Woolfy and the new centre back to start. Chambers should be a club captain role, but not a regular starter. There’s probably an argument not to renew his contract if he’s expecting a lot.

In midfield, get rid of Ward, Adeyemi, Huws, Rowe, and loan out Nydam. If a good offer comes in for Dozzell, then sell. If a good offer comes in for Bishop, sell. If a good offer comes in for Downes, sell. While these three players have impressed in stages, if we are offered serious money for a player struggling to get games, a player historically struggling to play over 15 games a season, and a player who is frustratingly inconsistent, we are not in the position to turn down good money. My ideal midfielders would be Downes, a new deep lying playmaker, Skuse (strictly squad player), Lankester, Nolan, Bishop, Judge, and Dozzell. Anyone we sell from that lot, we must replace. If we play wingers, then we’ll need to bring one or two experienced wingers in.

Up front is a mess. There’s probably an argument that we could offload them all if we are given any offers, that’s how much of a root and branch rebuild we’d need. Is Keane going to play enough games? Arguably not. If we do sign him, it should be on a low wage with incentives for playing matches. One of Jackson or Harrison to be sold, ideally the former. I’d keep Sears because nobody will sign him while injured, and give him six months to impress upon his return and then look to offload. I feel we need two new strikers, if we are playing two up top; someone like John Marquis with a proven record in League One? I’d take Pitman back too. And then maybe look to bring Morris or Folami in a squad role.

It may look drastic to some, but I honestly feel that’s where we are as a club and as a squad. This is hands down the worst season and the worst Ipswich Town side I’ve seen. Some of these players shouldn’t play for this club again. We need to cut a lot of deadwood and we need to sign quality players, capable of playing attacking football and capable of using initiative. Pretty much all the Hurst permanent signings won’t be playing in the Championship again (except perhaps Edwards). Mick’s old favourites are too old and looked uncomfortable on the ball. We don’t have enough right now. Apologies for the Sunday morning rant everyone.

Blog: Disappointing Result, But Can Some of Us Drop the Sense of Entitlement?

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:14 - Mar 3 with 4729 viewsHerbivore

Crazy.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:31 - Mar 3 with 4688 viewsNuggets

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:14 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

Crazy.

What would you do, Herbivore?

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:32 - Mar 3 with 4683 viewsDurovigutum

So, players are loaned to league one and two clubs to gain experience and to prepare them for the championship or Prem. All of the players you are listing we would loan out to get experience if we were in the championship, except you are saying we should jettison and start again. What would we use to start again with?

Bart we can't afford, and he's too good. Sell. Gerkin is a league one keeper, keep but groom his understudy.

Defence. Big problem. Huge problem. Too complex to discuss here, what happens in the summer will define next season.

Midfield. Fine, lots of decent players and equal amounts of potential. We need to get a shape or rhythm going and we'll be good in league one and ok for our championship return.

Up front. Problem, but not as big as the back. We might have enough for League one but in any league success= goal scorer(s). If fit what we have will be ok next season, but we've got to find a Charlie Brown or Ben Knight who isn't stolen out from underneath us and turn them into our future.
The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:34 - Mar 3 with 4675 viewsHerbivore

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:31 - Mar 3 by Nuggets

What would you do, Herbivore?

Probably not get rid of the entire squad and attempt a rebuild of an entire squad on a League 1 budget.

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:39 - Mar 3 with 4664 viewstractorboy1978

So in essence, sell any decent players we have? Sounds foolproof.
The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:39 - Mar 3 with 4660 viewsSuperblue95

So you want to sell some of our brightest midfield prospects, get rid of our entire set of strikers and get rid of players like Rowe, Donacien and Harrison who would probably be decent quality at League One level?

People say we have a squad of league one players and then want a complete rebuild when we end up in league one. The mind boggles

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:40 - Mar 3 with 4652 viewsNuggets

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:34 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

Probably not get rid of the entire squad and attempt a rebuild of an entire squad on a League 1 budget.

We are going to be losing squad players this summer, due to expiring contracts and the need to reduce the wage bill. Change is warranted and required. If you don’t think we’re going to be signing several new players this summer, and if you believe that our current defence and strike force are good enough for promotion-achieving football next season, then I think you’re either ignorant about the competitiveness of League One or assuming too much from this current squad.

Maybe my particular vision for next season is a little extreme, I understand that, but we need to sign five or six first team players to replace what we are missing and to improve in areas where we seriously lacking quality.

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:43 - Mar 3 with 4633 viewsSuperblue95

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:32 - Mar 3 by Durovigutum

So, players are loaned to league one and two clubs to gain experience and to prepare them for the championship or Prem. All of the players you are listing we would loan out to get experience if we were in the championship, except you are saying we should jettison and start again. What would we use to start again with?

Bart we can't afford, and he's too good. Sell. Gerkin is a league one keeper, keep but groom his understudy.

Defence. Big problem. Huge problem. Too complex to discuss here, what happens in the summer will define next season.

Midfield. Fine, lots of decent players and equal amounts of potential. We need to get a shape or rhythm going and we'll be good in league one and ok for our championship return.

Up front. Problem, but not as big as the back. We might have enough for League one but in any league success= goal scorer(s). If fit what we have will be ok next season, but we've got to find a Charlie Brown or Ben Knight who isn't stolen out from underneath us and turn them into our future.

“Groom his understudy”

I think a lot of old coaches have gotten in trouble for that kind of thing in the past couple of years

Login to get fewer ads

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:43 - Mar 3 with 4630 viewsHerbivore

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:40 - Mar 3 by Nuggets

We are going to be losing squad players this summer, due to expiring contracts and the need to reduce the wage bill. Change is warranted and required. If you don’t think we’re going to be signing several new players this summer, and if you believe that our current defence and strike force are good enough for promotion-achieving football next season, then I think you’re either ignorant about the competitiveness of League One or assuming too much from this current squad.

Maybe my particular vision for next season is a little extreme, I understand that, but we need to sign five or six first team players to replace what we are missing and to improve in areas where we seriously lacking quality.

I bow to your superior knowledge, oh wise one.

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:44 - Mar 3 with 4627 viewsNuggets

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:39 - Mar 3 by Superblue95

So you want to sell some of our brightest midfield prospects, get rid of our entire set of strikers and get rid of players like Rowe, Donacien and Harrison who would probably be decent quality at League One level?

People say we have a squad of league one players and then want a complete rebuild when we end up in league one. The mind boggles

We won’t have a choice if a Premier League or Championship side comes in for our younger players. And I think we generally over-rate our younger players. How many get mentioned in end of season awards? How many actually contribute regular goals and assists compared to other younger players at rival clubs? If a club came in for a £3m or £5m offer for Dozzell or Downes, we’d be foolish to turn it down.

Yes, retain some of our younger players but realise that there are several holes in this squad where we need to invest. Unfortunately, our current owner will not be providing this money out of his own pocket. Sorting the defence and strike force needs to be our priority this summer for a better, more balanced squad. We have several decent midfielders, we won’t be able to keep them all.

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:47 - Mar 3 with 4618 viewsNuggets

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:43 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

I bow to your superior knowledge, oh wise one.

So much for a debate.

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:49 - Mar 3 with 4605 viewsRadlett_blue

Generally sense as the squad will be completely overhauled, with so many players out of contract.
I would love to get Bart off the wage bill as he's been a complete liability this season, but who will take him on & pay him £20k a week?
The defence needs to be completely rebuilt. I hope Woolfenden is a regular; not sure if Nsiala, Donacien, Emmanuel or Kenlock are good enough.
The one area where I disagree is midfield. Downes, Bishop & Dozzell should be the future of the club & certainly more than good enough for League 1.
If Harrison can stay fit, I think he can do well in League 1; not sure about Jackson - maybe an option from the bench. Edwards could do well.
We won't be paying meaningful fees for anyone unless we sell one of the young prospects.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:54 - Mar 3 with 4584 viewsSuperblue95

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:44 - Mar 3 by Nuggets

We won’t have a choice if a Premier League or Championship side comes in for our younger players. And I think we generally over-rate our younger players. How many get mentioned in end of season awards? How many actually contribute regular goals and assists compared to other younger players at rival clubs? If a club came in for a £3m or £5m offer for Dozzell or Downes, we’d be foolish to turn it down.

Yes, retain some of our younger players but realise that there are several holes in this squad where we need to invest. Unfortunately, our current owner will not be providing this money out of his own pocket. Sorting the defence and strike force needs to be our priority this summer for a better, more balanced squad. We have several decent midfielders, we won’t be able to keep them all.

Our youngsters have all either suffered from injuries/knocks at key times or not been trusted by management to play regularly. Getting relegated is a kick in the teeth but it at least forces us into having to try out the youngsters properly next season as a lot of the senior players will be released.

If we get offered silly money for one of our youngsters (I don’t see it happening) then I’d take it to fund a few signings for a promotion push but I certainly wouldn’t even consider selling more than one
[Post edited 3 Mar 2019 10:04]

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 10:05 - Mar 3 with 4557 viewsNuggets

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:54 - Mar 3 by Superblue95

Our youngsters have all either suffered from injuries/knocks at key times or not been trusted by management to play regularly. Getting relegated is a kick in the teeth but it at least forces us into having to try out the youngsters properly next season as a lot of the senior players will be released.

If we get offered silly money for one of our youngsters (I don’t see it happening) then I’d take it to fund a few signings for a promotion push but I certainly wouldn’t even consider selling more than one
[Post edited 3 Mar 2019 10:04]

Fair enough. I’d certainly like to see Lankester and Downes being given a regular run out. Bishop will hopefully retain his fitness and, if we manage to get Judge ties down on a longer contract, we’ll have a very strong midfield. I think if one of our young lads were to be sold, it’s be Dozzell, whose reputation in the national media exceeds his actual on-pitch quality and form. He has the attributes to play for an attacking team that plays football on the ground and where he’ll be surrounded by quicker, more attack-minded players. Something he doesn’t really get here.

I’m not advocating selling off all our younger players, as I’m aware the rebuild means we have to retain that midfield creativity. However, I don’t think we are in a position to turn down Championship interest (if we get it, as you say). The current squad just concerns me too much. I don’t think it’s as easy as saying “we’ll go straight back up with a few signings”. We need a serious rebuild to compete.

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 10:07 - Mar 3 with 4550 views44_not_out

I stopped reading the OP after the mention of Curtis Tilt
The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 10:27 - Mar 3 with 4480 viewsbritbiker

Blimey. You sound like Paul Hurst.
Hoping we keep judge.
Bart sadly will have to be offloaded somehow due to wages.
Loans will go back. Pennington would like to keep now he has a year of knowledge, but think he will get a deal with the likes of Derby. Bree would like to keep.
Bart to go as will knudson. Not sure kenlock is the answer. Toto is all over the place. So need at least two defenders ready to go. Hope Lambert can use his contacts the way MM did.

Def keep Edwards as at least he knows where the net is. Poss bring Rowe back into the squad. Hope Lankester continues his progress.

Up front is a challenge. Sears wont be ready nor morris. Just have to hope jackson or Harrison come good. Keep Keane if wages allow but realising he wont play twice a week. Will need a new striker but finances will thwart that.

Really it comes down again to whether Judge, Pennington, Bree and Keane can/would sign. Plus who we can offload, especially with the injured crew.
Just hope Lambert has some good contacts that are willing to join a Div one side. And need far more luck with injuries.
Will be an interesting offseason but not looking forward to playing the likes of Lincoln.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2019 15:33]
The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 10:47 - Mar 3 with 4437 viewsWhymarkmariner

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 10:27 - Mar 3 by britbiker

Hoping we keep judge.
Loans will go back. Pennington would like to keep now he has a year of knowledge, but think he will get a deal with the likes of Derby. Bree would like to keep.
Bart to go as will knudson. Not sure kenlock is the answer. Toto is all over the place. So need at least two defenders ready to go. Hope Lambert can use his contacts the way MM did.

Def keep Edwards as at least he knows where the net is. Poss bring Rowe back into the squad. Hope Lankester continues his progress.

Up front is a challenge. Sears wont be ready nor morris. Just have to hope jackson or Harrison come good. Keep Keane if wages allow but realising he wont play twice a week. Will need a new striker but finances will thwart that.

Really it comes down again to whether Judge, Pennington, Bree and Keane can/would sign. Plus who we can offload, especially with the injured crew.
Just hope Lambert has some good contacts that are willing to join a Div one side. And need far more luck with injuries.
Will be an interesting offseason but not looking forward to playing the likes of Lincoln.

I think of the four Pennington almost certainly won't be with us. Keane, we have a good chance of keeping. Judge would probably want a two year contract at 15-20k a week. The only one I don't know which way it will go is Bree. Everton may not want him back and I suppose we might get him for 500k, unless he goes to another Championship side ?
The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 10:57 - Mar 3 with 4416 viewsNuggets

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 10:27 - Mar 3 by britbiker

Hoping we keep judge.

Sounding like Paul Hurst is certainly not my intention haha! But I’d be happy with his approach if we were in League One at the time, so he arguably had the right approach in the wrong division.

Bree and Pennington won’t be with us next season, not unless we pay a fair amount. Judge will hopefully sign a longer contract, but if a Championship side shows interest, I think he’d prefer that option.

I admire your willingness to keep the nucleus of the squad together, but this side has three wins all season, have played pretty poorly in most games, and could finish with one of the lowest points totals in the division. Just because we are a big name doesn’t mean we will walk League One. If you think the goalkeepers, pretty much all our defence, and the strike force have had good seasons, or done enough to warrant a first team place next season, then fair enough, that’s your opinion. I believe if we only make minor adjustments to this squad, we will continue to struggle next year (not relegated, but upper mid-table). It’s just hard to find much hope in this current side. The last time we won a match was nine games ago.

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 11:08 - Mar 3 with 4387 viewsRadlett_blue

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 10:57 - Mar 3 by Nuggets

Sounding like Paul Hurst is certainly not my intention haha! But I’d be happy with his approach if we were in League One at the time, so he arguably had the right approach in the wrong division.

Bree and Pennington won’t be with us next season, not unless we pay a fair amount. Judge will hopefully sign a longer contract, but if a Championship side shows interest, I think he’d prefer that option.

I admire your willingness to keep the nucleus of the squad together, but this side has three wins all season, have played pretty poorly in most games, and could finish with one of the lowest points totals in the division. Just because we are a big name doesn’t mean we will walk League One. If you think the goalkeepers, pretty much all our defence, and the strike force have had good seasons, or done enough to warrant a first team place next season, then fair enough, that’s your opinion. I believe if we only make minor adjustments to this squad, we will continue to struggle next year (not relegated, but upper mid-table). It’s just hard to find much hope in this current side. The last time we won a match was nine games ago.

We've won 3 out of 37 games all season & we failed to beat a League 1 side in either attempt. Unless someone thinks that both Hurst and Lambert are mind numbingly incompetent (and Lambert is the right man according to most on here), it's hard to believe that this squad - without a few of the better performers who are out of contract or on loan - will be good enough to do well in League 1 next season.

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 11:17 - Mar 3 with 4355 viewsjudespiveyg

I certainly wouldn't be looking to loan out Nydam, I can see him being an important player for us next season, and I'd let our young full backs be the starters especially Emmanuel who has been a decent League One player.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 11:19 - Mar 3 with 4349 viewspointofblue

To keep it simple the players I’d like to see keep are

Goalkeepers: Gerken, Wright
Defenders: Chambers, Emmanuel, Kenlock, Nsiala, Woolfenden
Midfielders: Bishop, Downes, Dozzell, Edwards, Nolan, Nydam, Judge, Rowe, Skuse
Forwards: Harrison, Keane

I think we’ll have to have faith that Nolan and Nsiala May click at a level they’ve already played at and succeeded. Rowe has proven that he can perform and score at lower league level and is worth a chance. If Bart and Knudsen stay then great but I think both will leave. Collins, Huws and Adeyemi have too many injury concerns; they’re simply luxuries we cannot afford.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 11:44 - Mar 3 with 4301 viewsDennyx4

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 10:47 - Mar 3 by Whymarkmariner

I think of the four Pennington almost certainly won't be with us. Keane, we have a good chance of keeping. Judge would probably want a two year contract at 15-20k a week. The only one I don't know which way it will go is Bree. Everton may not want him back and I suppose we might get him for 500k, unless he goes to another Championship side ?

Bree is on loan from Aston Villa - reportedly on £20k per week, Unless he is out of contract or Villa pay it off, cant see him coming here.
The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 15:41 - Mar 3 with 4115 viewsbritbiker

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 11:44 - Mar 3 by Dennyx4

Bree is on loan from Aston Villa - reportedly on £20k per week, Unless he is out of contract or Villa pay it off, cant see him coming here.

Just seen that elsewhere so I guess he will not be here next season.
The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 16:03 - Mar 3 with 4060 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 11:19 - Mar 3 by pointofblue

I think we’ll have to have faith that Nolan and Nsiala May click at a level they’ve already played at and succeeded. Rowe has proven that he can perform and score at lower league level and is worth a chance. If Bart and Knudsen stay then great but I think both will leave. Collins, Huws and Adeyemi have too many injury concerns; they’re simply luxuries we cannot afford.

If there is any possibility that Nsiala can be moved on he should be. I can't believe he is good enough for League 1 and I would be amazed if he is ever good enough for the Championship.

We really should be building a team around whatever players are Championship standard and that is the best way to stand any chance of going up and staying up again.

Bishop, Judge, Skuse, Bart, Chambers and Sears are those. Knudsen almost certainly won't be here.

Nolan, Harrison and Edwards have experience in League 1. I would expect them to feature regularly. If we could keep Judge that would be great news. Downes should increasingly take on Skuse's role. Woolfendon should be a regular at the heart of defence.

What we then need is a goal scorer and another creative midfielder that are likely to stay fit. A hold-up striker in the mould of Quaner but who has a goal threat would be great. A younger version of Pitman perhaps. Lankester and Dozzell could be superb at League 1 level. Morris and Folami should get some chance as long as all these can stay fit.

We need to trim out of the squad a lot of players who are not offering anything on the pitch. Too many spend too long on the treatment table. However, we also need to look at why that is and what needs to be done to keep fit the players we do have. Moving players on that we don't want is always easier said than done.

To sum up a few tweaks on:

Bart
Emmanuel Chambers Woolfendon Kenlock
Edwards Downes Bishop
Judge
2 New signings

with Gerken/Wright, Sears, Lankester, a new CB, Skuse, Dozzell, Nydam, Jackson, Harrison, Nolan, Morris and Folami plus the best of what might come through from the U23s suggests we might need 2 forward players and a CB plus some defensive cover.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 16:10 - Mar 3 with 4045 viewsRadlett_blue

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 11:19 - Mar 3 by pointofblue

Collins & Adeyemi will both be out of contract. Huws has another year.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024