Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The squad for next season - complete rebuild required 08:53 - Mar 3 with 5201 viewsNuggets

Following this awful season, and the two previous years of underwhelming, often stale football, I think we need a clear out and to a big rebuild in the summer to have a squad capable of a) playing attacking football and b) possessing the winning mentality for promotion.

I think what I’d do is get rid of both Bart and Gerken, the former needs to get off the wage bill and the latter isn’t good enough. Bring in an experienced goalkeeper who talks to his defence (needed if we’re playing a young team) and then maybe look to play Harry Wright in the EFL Trophy and as backup.

I’d axe Spence, Knudsen, Collins (he wouldn’t drop down anyway), and Donacien. Bring in a left back and a right back to start (jury is out on Bree) with Emmanuel and Kenlock as understudies and a final year’s chance to see if they are capable of playing League One football for us. Woolfenden, Nsiala, Chambers, and an experienced centre back, maybe Curtis Tilt at Blackpool who we were linked with in the summer, with Woolfy and the new centre back to start. Chambers should be a club captain role, but not a regular starter. There’s probably an argument not to renew his contract if he’s expecting a lot.

In midfield, get rid of Ward, Adeyemi, Huws, Rowe, and loan out Nydam. If a good offer comes in for Dozzell, then sell. If a good offer comes in for Bishop, sell. If a good offer comes in for Downes, sell. While these three players have impressed in stages, if we are offered serious money for a player struggling to get games, a player historically struggling to play over 15 games a season, and a player who is frustratingly inconsistent, we are not in the position to turn down good money. My ideal midfielders would be Downes, a new deep lying playmaker, Skuse (strictly squad player), Lankester, Nolan, Bishop, Judge, and Dozzell. Anyone we sell from that lot, we must replace. If we play wingers, then we’ll need to bring one or two experienced wingers in.

Up front is a mess. There’s probably an argument that we could offload them all if we are given any offers, that’s how much of a root and branch rebuild we’d need. Is Keane going to play enough games? Arguably not. If we do sign him, it should be on a low wage with incentives for playing matches. One of Jackson or Harrison to be sold, ideally the former. I’d keep Sears because nobody will sign him while injured, and give him six months to impress upon his return and then look to offload. I feel we need two new strikers, if we are playing two up top; someone like John Marquis with a proven record in League One? I’d take Pitman back too. And then maybe look to bring Morris or Folami in a squad role.

It may look drastic to some, but I honestly feel that’s where we are as a club and as a squad. This is hands down the worst season and the worst Ipswich Town side I’ve seen. Some of these players shouldn’t play for this club again. We need to cut a lot of deadwood and we need to sign quality players, capable of playing attacking football and capable of using initiative. Pretty much all the Hurst permanent signings won’t be playing in the Championship again (except perhaps Edwards). Mick’s old favourites are too old and looked uncomfortable on the ball. We don’t have enough right now. Apologies for the Sunday morning rant everyone.

Blog: Disappointing Result, But Can Some of Us Drop the Sense of Entitlement?

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 17:01 - Mar 3 with 377 viewsLeaky

The squad for next season - complete rebuild required on 09:39 - Mar 3 by tractorboy1978

So in essence, sell any decent players we have? Sounds foolproof.

Unfortunately that's what we have been doing for the last six years. And why we're in the cr@p
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024