Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party 10:55 - Feb 7 with 45281 viewsGlasgowBlue

Who on here would vote for it?

This attack looks very coordinated this morning

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:46 - Feb 7 with 2384 viewsfooters

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:39 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

Sorry. I thought you had meant 41% voted for AV and 67.9 had voted against. My mistake.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2019 12:45]

No problem. We all make mistakes. My parents certainly did.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:46 - Feb 7 with 2385 viewsGlasgowBlue

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:44 - Feb 7 by Herbivore

It was pretty clear what you meant to be fair.

Yes it was. I read the post far too quickly whilst doing other things. Sorry it upset you herbie.

Iron Lion Zion

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:46 - Feb 7 with 2383 viewschicoazul

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:31 - Feb 7 by eireblue

A right wing ideal I believe is free markets. E.g. no regulatory body or government should control the supply and demand of goods.

Limiting the quantities of people to do work, and so effect the supply and demand side, is what a government does by controlling borders.

So errr, it maybe a Marxist dream, it is also a consequence of a right wing free market economy.

Maybe the EU is a bit like the BBC, depending on personal politics, you can decide if the EU is supporting big business and right wing, or a Marxist overlord.

Your first sentence would be a *libertarian* ideal, not a right wing one.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:48 - Feb 7 with 2367 viewsBackToRussia

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:45 - Feb 7 by chicoazul

Your spot on with your last sentence! You should contribute more to the political/BRexit threads when they come up as you have a lot of value to add.

The irony....it hurts

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:50 - Feb 7 with 2364 viewsGuthrum

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:29 - Feb 7 by BackToRussia

Medway tractor feel free to comment. Electoral reform seems an odd one to be against in these times.

One of my biggest hopes is that the current stresses will be sufficient to break the tribalism which has locked UK politics in a futile stasis, rather than responding fluidly (and thus more effectively) to issues and circumstances.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:53 - Feb 7 with 2340 viewsBackToRussia

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:50 - Feb 7 by Guthrum

One of my biggest hopes is that the current stresses will be sufficient to break the tribalism which has locked UK politics in a futile stasis, rather than responding fluidly (and thus more effectively) to issues and circumstances.

Absolutely Guthrum. *Surely* if Brexit shows anything it's that.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:54 - Feb 7 with 2339 viewsGlasgowBlue

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:50 - Feb 7 by Guthrum

Tribalism is so pre 2015. We've moved on to Cultism these days.

Iron Lion Zion

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:55 - Feb 7 with 2335 viewsRyorry

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:27 - Feb 7 by giant_stow

Chuckle, yes!

I wonder whether these brexit shenanigans will help convince the man in the street though?

There's currently a sizeable minority of people like me who are politically homeless - a new party would give us back a voice.

Me joining forces with a Nudge fan to become part of a minority group would have been unthinkable 3 years ago!

That it might well now become a reality drives home just how much of a disaster Brexit really is!! ;/

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Login to get fewer ads

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:57 - Feb 7 with 2336 viewsGlasgowBlue

Interesting follow up

Would like to know how many people were polled but that seems a very high percentage.

Iron Lion Zion

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:59 - Feb 7 with 2319 viewsGuthrum

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:45 - Feb 7 by BackToRussia

You can improve soil fertility from an impoverished state to highly fecund within a year.

Not without resources. And what about in areas where there is no soil (deserts, large parts of East Africa) or it's heavily forested swamp (Siberia) or at high altitude (central Asia, western North and South America)?

The reason why certain specific regions (western Europe, eastern China) became so prosperous and densely populated was that climate, geology and geography made them ideal for producing food.

Attempts to force matters in places like East Africa (cash cropping, deforestation) have resulted in serious ecological disasters, with attendant famine.

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:01 - Feb 7 with 2316 viewsRyorry

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:45 - Feb 7 by BackToRussia

You can improve soil fertility from an impoverished state to highly fecund within a year.

Would mean animal dung, incl cattle.

(Ooo err, controversial!)

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:01 - Feb 7 with 2319 viewsmatteoblue

The reformation of left wing parties is well overdue if you consider the underlying nature of them. They are a constant rebuke to the current order of society and their purpose is to change what they perceive to be established norms in society. Labour has struggled with its traditional roots of being the party of the working man ever since Thatcher's reforms which wiped out their traditional strong union hold. They have since been made up much more of the liberal element who were given their freedom under New Labour, and this established majority now exist in all the main parties. The one thing that has perhaps stopped the reforming of a new party is that they might have to be a bit more honest about who they really are and what they support, which is, in general, liberal global economics, high personal taxation, interventionist wars, and multi-culturalism and equality.

We are Premier League, say we are Premier League!

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:05 - Feb 7 with 2302 viewsitfcjoe

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:57 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

Interesting follow up

Would like to know how many people were polled but that seems a very high percentage.

What would need to happen for a new party to be formed, I'm too young to know what happened with the SDP - what are the nuts and bolts of it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:06 - Feb 7 with 2295 viewsBackToRussia

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:01 - Feb 7 by Ryorry

In terms of fertilisation there are stock free methods, the commonest being production of compost! To the soil it's all organic matter, but animals make it a lot easier. They also graze and manage the land of course.

To answer Guthrum too, true, although natural organic methods can turn anywhere into a fertile area. The Sahara has increased hugely. Northern and southern Africa used to be hugely fertile down and up to the equator. Human management practices can turn something into nothing and then back again.

Also, apart from labour, for free. How much does a tomato cost? It will always be nothing

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:09 - Feb 7 with 2289 viewsGlasgowBlue

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:05 - Feb 7 by itfcjoe

What would need to happen for a new party to be formed, I'm too young to know what happened with the SDP - what are the nuts and bolts of it.

From Parliamentary logistics, a group of MP's would resign the Labour Whip and sit as a grouping together on the opposition benches.

They would need financial backing and I'd be very surprised if they haven't already sounded out very wealthy donors.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2019 13:11]

Iron Lion Zion

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:11 - Feb 7 with 2281 viewsGuthrum

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 12:53 - Feb 7 by BackToRussia

Absolutely Guthrum. *Surely* if Brexit shows anything it's that.

I prefer the situation which existed in the first half of the 20th century, when parties split and recombined, new ones sprang up (Labour), when an MP crossing the floor of the House was not the end of their career, nor was it irreversible.

Indeed, if you go back to the 18th century and before, all groupings and factions were essentially temporary, with the chief minister able (at least in theory) to draw from all sides to form a government.

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:12 - Feb 7 with 2279 viewsitfcjoe

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:09 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

From Parliamentary logistics, a group of MP's would resign the Labour Whip and sit as a grouping together on the opposition benches.

They would need financial backing and I'd be very surprised if they haven't already sounded out very wealthy donors.

I think it could actually happen, because there are a number of MPs in both labour and Tory that are so far away from where their leaders are, in the main over Brexit.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:14 - Feb 7 with 2260 viewsBackToRussia

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:01 - Feb 7 by matteoblue

The reformation of left wing parties is well overdue if you consider the underlying nature of them. They are a constant rebuke to the current order of society and their purpose is to change what they perceive to be established norms in society. Labour has struggled with its traditional roots of being the party of the working man ever since Thatcher's reforms which wiped out their traditional strong union hold. They have since been made up much more of the liberal element who were given their freedom under New Labour, and this established majority now exist in all the main parties. The one thing that has perhaps stopped the reforming of a new party is that they might have to be a bit more honest about who they really are and what they support, which is, in general, liberal global economics, high personal taxation, interventionist wars, and multi-culturalism and equality.

Another excellent post.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:14 - Feb 7 with 2262 viewsGuthrum

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:09 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

The biggest job would be recruiting a membership and setting up a party/constituency structure in the country.

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:15 - Feb 7 with 2252 viewsGlasgowBlue

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:14 - Feb 7 by Guthrum

The biggest job would be recruiting a membership and setting up a party/constituency structure in the country.

Hence the need for finance.

If they have a loyal following at branch level they could count on a fair few members making the move with them.

Iron Lion Zion

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:18 - Feb 7 with 2236 viewsBackToRussia

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:11 - Feb 7 by Guthrum

I prefer the situation which existed in the first half of the 20th century, when parties split and recombined, new ones sprang up (Labour), when an MP crossing the floor of the House was not the end of their career, nor was it irreversible.

Indeed, if you go back to the 18th century and before, all groupings and factions were essentially temporary, with the chief minister able (at least in theory) to draw from all sides to form a government.

Love the sound of that. Sounds like the senate of the Roman republic.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:23 - Feb 7 with 2195 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:01 - Feb 7 by Ryorry

Well done Ryorry thread linkage between the cow poo one and moderate Labour mp's.....have an uppie.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:24 - Feb 7 with 2188 viewsGuthrum

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:01 - Feb 7 by matteoblue

With the end of heavy industry and mining, much of the traditional base of the old Labour Party has gone. What is the Working Class any more? A highly dispersed, non-homogenous set of people working mostly for a large number of smaller enterprises. A majority in the service sector (inc. shop work). Many tradesmen are self-employed.

It's no coincidence that the largest union is now UNISON, which covers public sector non-industrial workers

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:28 - Feb 7 with 2175 viewsGlasgowBlue

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:11 - Feb 7 by Guthrum

Indeed. You had the Pittie Tories followed by the Addingtonians (or was it the other way around). And the Canningites who were Tories who went into coalition with the Whigs because they didn't have the support of the majority of hard Tories.

And of course Churchill crossed the floor to the Liberals. And crossed back again several years later.

Iron Lion Zion

Looks like moderate Labour MP’s are about to form a new party on 13:28 - Feb 7 with 2166 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Macron could be their poster boy and look how popular he is!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024