Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
fund away match travel instead? 11:49 - Jan 14 with 2642 viewsdavray9

It's good to see so many people trying to come up with ideas for cheaper match day tickets for home matches. I hope a solution is found soon!
It got me thinking about Our current plight. If there is anyway we can add extra support to our ambition to stay up. It's been pointed out (and I don't know the actual rules on this) that we are only allowed x amount of ticket promotions for home games. so how about away games... we can't subsidise away tickets (i don't think so anyway?? Can Marcus Buy them all and dish them out via a free lottery??) but, we (by we, I mean Marcus Evans) could subsidise away match travel.

a rough example:

£30 travel to Blackburn x 55 seater coach =£1650
imagine 10 MORE coaches (£16500...Please Marcus!?), another 550 fans supporting our team... it could make the difference between no points, or 1 point... or possibly 3 points. Just for this season, we have to try and do everything we can to stay up...that includes away games, where points are possible with the maximum effort and support we can muster. I know Coaches aren't everyone's cup of tea, (I usually go by car) but it seems to be the easiest way to organise travel of so many fans.

So, if for instance, somebody offered you free travel to Blackburn/Vila/ etc... til the end of the season and you just had to pay for a match ticket... would you go? Not for everyone, I agree... but you do get 3 points for a win regardless of where you play your matches.
fund away match travel instead? on 11:59 - Jan 14 with 2611 viewsGuthrum

Selling out our away allocations is not that much of a problem, except at more remore fixtures like South Wales.

Quite a number of away fans don't live in or near Ipswich, thus would not be able to take advantage of the coach offer. However, that's a better idea than the ticket one.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

fund away match travel instead? on 12:09 - Jan 14 with 2591 viewsPJH

fund away match travel instead? on 11:59 - Jan 14 by Guthrum

Selling out our away allocations is not that much of a problem, except at more remore fixtures like South Wales.

Quite a number of away fans don't live in or near Ipswich, thus would not be able to take advantage of the coach offer. However, that's a better idea than the ticket one.

Subsidised travel to away games is a nice idea but as you say it only benefits those of us local to Ipswich.

If things do go reasonably well on the pitch for the next few games then a large away following at Wigan and Bolton especially could be very useful.
fund away match travel instead? on 12:27 - Jan 14 with 2549 viewsdavray9

As always, a thoughtful, measured response from you Guthrum (you know your figures I must say...) keep those final table predicted forecasts coming, it gives us all hope!
good points about fans from other parts of the country... if there was a way to encompass them ( coaches from London, Bristol, etc etc...) and the possibility of a recognised pick up en route to a game, it may encourage a few more!
I'm not sure who organises away day travel at the club, but i know there are coaches available via companies that will go from any city/town to any football match (at a price per person that is cheaper than Galloways) and will discount prices further as the number of coaches hired increases.

Agree with selling out some away allocations... However, for example, Blackburn's away allocation is up to 4000.
fund away match travel instead? on 12:33 - Jan 14 with 2521 viewsPinewoodblue

Cap prices for away fans or discount away tickets by £5. All clubs.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

fund away match travel instead? on 12:53 - Jan 14 with 2486 viewsdavray9

fund away match travel instead? on 12:09 - Jan 14 by PJH

Subsidised travel to away games is a nice idea but as you say it only benefits those of us local to Ipswich.

If things do go reasonably well on the pitch for the next few games then a large away following at Wigan and Bolton especially could be very useful.

thanks for the positive response PJH

It does seem that with a connection to the club, some fan networking and a bit of effort, we could well have a big following at Bolton and Wigan.
I have looked into coaches quite regularly as an option for away travel (QPR away being a prime example of the train network faltering...again!) and am surprised at what I have found.
I'm not Ipswich based (But really not too far away) so i am fully supportive of this idea not being just for Ipswich based fans. I'm Sure London and The West Country Blues could fill coaches (they do come in varying sizes), as well as Midlands and Northern fans too... it just needs someone to head up the operational side and to delegate tasks to regional contacts who could organise their area. if anyone has any ideas how this could reach the powers that be, then I think it may just help us secure a few more points away from home. I'm not sure who could be contacted to present this idea as a possibility (maybe Blue Action or Supporters club or even getting the message across to Paul Lambert... he seems to know the score!) but it feels like an opportunity that we could use right now.
I know other clubs and even players have done this on occassions, so it's not a new idea. However, those were more one-off matches.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2018/april/moore-pays-for-fifty-fans-coach-trav
https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/betbright-offer-free-coach-travel-
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2017/10

If there was a possibility of putting this idea to someone relevant at ITFC I would be more than happy to become involved in sourcing the coaches etc. I cannot, unfortunately subsidise this initial idea (free coach travel to the remaining away games this season) nor (before anyone asks) am I intending to buy the club...
fund away match travel instead? on 13:06 - Jan 14 with 2463 viewsWD19

An interesting point here. Why not run a coach or two from London? Has anyone ever done a feasibility study do you know?
fund away match travel instead? on 13:17 - Jan 14 with 2439 viewsGuthrum

fund away match travel instead? on 12:33 - Jan 14 by Pinewoodblue

Cap prices for away fans or discount away tickets by £5. All clubs.

We've been trying to do that this season with the reciprocal £25 away ticket scheme, to which some, but not all, of the division have signed up.

fund away match travel instead? on 13:21 - Jan 14 with 2420 viewsGuthrum

fund away match travel instead? on 13:06 - Jan 14 by WD19

An interesting point here. Why not run a coach or two from London? Has anyone ever done a feasibility study do you know?

Think we did once do an organised trip by the South West Group (but I couldn't go, so don't remember the details).

Maybe a general "Do you want a lift to the game?" thread before away (or even home) matches might help to make connections and share fuel costs.

Login to get fewer ads

fund away match travel instead? on 13:35 - Jan 14 with 2399 viewsSitfcB

fund away match travel instead? on 13:17 - Jan 14 by Guthrum

We've been trying to do that this season with the reciprocal £25 away ticket scheme, to which some, but not all, of the division have signed up.

...and last season! So some clubs have declined twice!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

fund away match travel instead? on 13:58 - Jan 14 with 2363 viewsElephantintheRoom

If mythical Marcus Evans is putting £5million a year into the club to keep it afloat he is already subsidizing each match, home and away by nearly £110,000 a match. That's £7 per supporter every match, assuming 15,000 crowd. It would be cheaper not to have any crowd at all.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

fund away match travel instead? on 14:09 - Jan 14 with 2351 viewsBlue_Order

The problem with going on the official supporters coach is that you have to go on the official supporters coach.
fund away match travel instead? on 14:16 - Jan 14 with 2335 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Can't people pay for their own travel arrangements? If they wanted to go, far more than 500 ITFC fans must have the resources to travel to Blackburn - I'm not sure why the owner should pay for them to attend.

There's possibly a softer argument about paying for those that can't afford it, but really how many is that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024