Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What’s happened to Barry Cotter? 12:43 - Dec 23 with 10810 viewsPopeye

MM on Sky with kammy and Ben and is asking what’s happened to Barry Cotter? Gave him his first team debut and hasn’t been seen since. MM still going on about the fact every club he’s managed has been relegated the season after he left!!
What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 12:31 - Dec 24 with 1660 viewsKeaneish

He always seems to me like he feels he should get more praise than he does which comes across as egocentric at times. I think he finds it tough that he doesn't get the credit he feels he deserves.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 14:20 - Dec 24 with 1610 viewsSuperfrans

It’s a weird thing to boast about, his teams getting relegated after he leaves them. That doesn’t suggest he leaves clubs in a very good way.

This is at the heart of the greatest myth of the Paul Hurst era. Hurst did indeed sign lots of players in the summer, but that’s because he had to. We released 9 players at the end of the season, sold 3. Mick’s squad needed an overhaul, whoever was going to come in.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 14:25 - Dec 24 with 1603 viewsRadlett_blue

What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 14:20 - Dec 24 by Superfrans

It’s a weird thing to boast about, his teams getting relegated after he leaves them. That doesn’t suggest he leaves clubs in a very good way.

This is at the heart of the greatest myth of the Paul Hurst era. Hurst did indeed sign lots of players in the summer, but that’s because he had to. We released 9 players at the end of the season, sold 3. Mick’s squad needed an overhaul, whoever was going to come in.

Hmm...most of those who were released weren't much of a loss, with the exception of the fragile McGoldrick.
However, Webster, Waghorn & arguably Garner have not been replaced with anyone of similar quality.
Also, our loanees have IMO not been of the quality of CCV, Celina & Connolly.
Hard to say how much of this was down to Hurst & how much down to ME (or the lack of a DoF).

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 14:43 - Dec 24 with 1592 viewsLeagueOne

We're the only club he managed he didn't relegate. He had left Millwall before they dropped but had managed them that season, and he took us within 4 points of the drop himself. As much as I rate what he did here, he should be honest about his own records!

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 14:52 - Dec 24 with 1583 viewsjjblue84

What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 07:17 - Dec 24 by SE1blue

I think it’s a Barry thing...Have there been any famous footballers called Barry? Doomed by his moniker.

And the name Barry Cotter sounds like one of those spoof books of Harry Potter.

Barry Cotter and the labours of Ipswich.

Barry Cotter and Chamber's Secrets...
What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 15:05 - Dec 24 with 1572 viewsSuperfrans

What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 14:25 - Dec 24 by Radlett_blue

Hmm...most of those who were released weren't much of a loss, with the exception of the fragile McGoldrick.
However, Webster, Waghorn & arguably Garner have not been replaced with anyone of similar quality.
Also, our loanees have IMO not been of the quality of CCV, Celina & Connolly.
Hard to say how much of this was down to Hurst & how much down to ME (or the lack of a DoF).

The players we released were still within the squad. They still needed replacing.

Take Carayol - we arguably replaced him with Jordan Graham, or Jordan Roberts. But if it wasn’t either of the two players, it would have been someone else.

My point is, we lost 9 players who needed to be replaced. An overhaul was inevitable.

Even if Mick had stayed, I doubt we’d have been able to keep Waghorn or Garner. Webster maybe.

But. The myth is that Hurst rebuilt more than we needed to. Just not true. He had no choice.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 16:23 - Dec 24 with 1541 viewsTrequartista

What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 14:52 - Dec 24 by jjblue84

Barry Cotter and Chamber's Secrets...

Let me upgrade that joke for you...

Cotter by Trequartista 10 Apr 2018 20:38
They could film him learning his trade from more experienced players in training - Barry Cotter and the Secrets of Chambers.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 20:35 - Dec 24 with 1466 viewsconnorscontract

What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 07:17 - Dec 24 by SE1blue

I think it’s a Barry thing...Have there been any famous footballers called Barry? Doomed by his moniker.

And the name Barry Cotter sounds like one of those spoof books of Harry Potter.

Barry Cotter and the labours of Ipswich.

He had the life sucked out of him by He-who-shall-not-be-named and his Dementor assistant.

They left the whole team under the influence of the Relegatus curse, as well.
Login to get fewer ads

What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 23:57 - Dec 24 with 1411 viewsjjblue84

What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 16:23 - Dec 24 by Trequartista

Let me upgrade that joke for you...

Cotter by Trequartista 10 Apr 2018 20:38
They could film him learning his trade from more experienced players in training - Barry Cotter and the Secrets of Chambers.

Worse
What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 04:50 - Dec 25 with 1372 viewsharlingblue

I watch him in U23 games, has much to add to the team, but much to learn. Donacien should be our right back IMO, unless Lambert can make a (switched on, more alert) player out of Spence. Barry has time on his side, but perhaps needs to be more of a team player?
What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 14:41 - Dec 25 with 1302 viewseddiespearitt03

What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 13:45 - Dec 23 by iamipswich

He builds a pragmatic team that won't go down but also won't entertain. Fans eventually get bored of the pragmatism and McCarthy moves on.

New manager brought in to play more exciting football is left with a team with McCarthy's uninspiring safe football engrained within them.

New manager trying to change this style struggles as it is not easy to change the philosophy of football quickly. Especially when they've been playing under MM for years.

MM's team gets relegated as his former players only know how to play one way.

MM laughs at fans who hounded him out.

It's tough because it was time for him to go because people didn't enjoy watching their team but now results are poor as we go in search of more exciting football.

I thought Barry Cotter looked pretty good the times i have seen him play in the reserves.

A fair description of McCarthy is written below. . He had a close knit team of over achievers playing poor football. It became desperately sad in McCarthy,s last season here . I was wanting Paul Hurst to be a success here but i felt a few players simply stopped
playing for him quite early in the season. That started the decline.
What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 10:58 - Dec 26 with 1163 viewsDeano69

What’s happened to Barry Cotter? on 13:39 - Dec 23 by Vaughan8

It is strange the teams get relegated the season after he's left. Is it because he got such a close knit team there, or does he leave teams with a lot of rubbish and it's a rebuilding job?

He will get results out of average players. But it seems that after his tenure clubs are left wanting something different/more entertaining. Rebuilding that is a risk as we have seen.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024