Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst 13:17 - Oct 5 with 2137 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Just reading up on the Swansea preview from Harry's report... Potter seems like a manager who just simply trusts the youngsters, whilst Hurst seems to be different, despite Ipswich probably have the more recognised/experienced youngsters from either squad before a ball was kicked this season.

I'm not going tomorrow, but it would be interesting to see just how good this Swansea side look. Swansea play some great stuff with a manager I really like from what I've seen.

Why can't Hurst just trust our youngsters to showcase their chance to perform on a regular basis? The youngsters who have never looked out of place/unready and are in England youth set ups.

I find it strange given half of these players for Swansea are probably unheard of to a lot of people, yet a few seem to be finding themselves called up to the Wales senior set up and will gain even more experience in a training camp with the likes of Gareth Bale, Aaron Ramsey, Ben Davies etc...

You'll never know unless you give them their chance, sometimes it doesn't work out, other times, with Swansea being an example, it pays off...

*If this post works in some sort of reverse psychology and we beat Swansea then I'll take that to be honest!

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 13:21 - Oct 5 with 2102 viewsCoco

Swansea are on a different planet in terms of budget and have a solid base of premier league and international standard pros in which to integrate their Cat 1 youngsters with.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 13:32 - Oct 5 with 2044 viewsIpswichTownNL

Honestly feel we overrate our youngsters a bit. Downes went on loan at Luton and after a few starts got dropped and made like three more sub appearances. Nydam made two 20 minute sub appearances at Jonhstone when they were like 3-0 down. Woolfenden — the one I would have liked to stay the most - seems to crush at Swindon though.

Dutch Tractor Boys! Follow on Twitter; @IpswichTownNL

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 13:35 - Oct 5 with 2031 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Potter also has the benefit of experienced top level players such as;

-Olsson
- Naughton
- Fer
- Dyer
- Carroll
- Ayew x 2

Plus Celina and CCV.

hard to compare the two when Potter has a vastly superior squad.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 13:40 - Oct 5 with 2015 viewsitfcjoe

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 13:21 - Oct 5 by Coco

Swansea are on a different planet in terms of budget and have a solid base of premier league and international standard pros in which to integrate their Cat 1 youngsters with.

I don't think that is true, they've lost so many players compared over the summer and back end of last season and Potter been given very little to reinvest.

Is doing an excellent job bringing through, and trusting, unheralded youngsters

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 13:47 - Oct 5 with 1984 viewsIpswichKnight

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 13:32 - Oct 5 by IpswichTownNL

Honestly feel we overrate our youngsters a bit. Downes went on loan at Luton and after a few starts got dropped and made like three more sub appearances. Nydam made two 20 minute sub appearances at Jonhstone when they were like 3-0 down. Woolfenden — the one I would have liked to stay the most - seems to crush at Swindon though.

Not Quite true, Downes went to play an England U19 tournament while on loan at Luton when he got back they were in the middle of a run of wins and not likely to change a winning team.
Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 13:48 - Oct 5 with 1981 viewsitfcjoe

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 13:32 - Oct 5 by IpswichTownNL

The thing is these loan clubs have no stake in their development though.

Whereas here if it is a 19 year old vs a 29 year old, there are a whole host of reasons that determine selection rather than just who is better at this very moment in time. There is an element of what can these players be long term and how do we get them from there.

That is my concern with some of the business that has been done - are these players much/any better (especially the loan players), and what is their ceiling of ability?

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 13:48 - Oct 5 with 1978 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 13:40 - Oct 5 by itfcjoe

I don't think that is true, they've lost so many players compared over the summer and back end of last season and Potter been given very little to reinvest.

They have lost players.

...but they are still way ahead of use in terms of what he has got to work with. They will still have a massive wage bill, players that cost a lot of money, and players with massive experience and this level and above.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 13:52 - Oct 5 with 1965 viewsitfcjoe

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 13:35 - Oct 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

-Olsson
- Naughton
- Fer
- Dyer
- Carroll
- Ayew x 2

Plus Celina and CCV.

Both Ayew brothers are out on loan.

I wouldn't say they have a vastly superior squad, it has more quality in certain areas but pretty imbalanced and suffered with injuries

Login to get fewer ads

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 14:02 - Oct 5 with 1927 viewsHarryWright

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 13:52 - Oct 5 by itfcjoe

Both Ayew brothers are out on loan.

I wouldn't say they have a vastly superior squad, it has more quality in certain areas but pretty imbalanced and suffered with injuries

eh? Swansea's squad is certainly vastly superior than ours
Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 14:07 - Oct 5 with 1912 viewsitfcjoe

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 14:02 - Oct 5 by HarryWright

eh? Swansea's squad is certainly vastly superior than ours

Maybe now it has been pulled apart since last summer, but look at their matchday 18

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 14:13 - Oct 5 with 1889 viewsHarryWright

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 14:07 - Oct 5 by itfcjoe

Maybe now it has been pulled apart since last summer, but look at their matchday 18

Having looked again I can see your point perhaps it isn't 'vastly superior', still much better players than what he'd have if he was here.
Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 14:52 - Oct 5 with 1833 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

-Olsson
- Naughton
- Fer
- Dyer
- Carroll
- Ayew x 2

Plus Celina and CCV.

I'm sure they help, but I'm sure a few of them will have egos that suggest they don't want to be at Swansea, and in fact want to be in the Premier League.

The point I'm making is he's not afraid to put these youngsters in ahead of pros who were playing Premier League last season.

Rodon, Grimes, Byers, McBurnie, Fulton, Celina, Roberts, Baker-Richardson & Daniel James are the names I usually see in the matchday 18's for Swansea. Take out McBurnie and Celina, how many of them have experience in a professional matchday squad, let alone Championship experience. It's the difference between Hurst and Graham Potter and look how it has worked out for both managers.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 14:58 - Oct 5 with 1816 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 13:40 - Oct 5 by itfcjoe

Potter has also made them a lot stronger defensively providing foundations to keep them compact but also utilise the ball to move up the pitch with more freedom and fluidity to their game. What can we say Paul Hurst has implemented that's been a total success and new dimension to the Ipswich style that Mick's teams had?

Graham Potter vs Paul Hurst on 16:29 - Oct 5 with 1695 viewsSwansea_Blue

-Olsson
- Naughton
- Fer
- Dyer
- Carroll
- Ayew x 2

Plus Celina and CCV.

They certainly have a bigger budget (but don't seem willing to spend it). And they have a core of PL experience, but it's smaller than you think and not being relied on:

- Olsson's hardly played, second choice
- Naughton had to work his way into the squad and has lost his preferred right back role to a youngster (he's used as cover in midfield now)
- Fer - hasn't played much due to injury
- Carroll has been in and out of the squad, others preferred ahead of him
- Dyer has hardly played, not even making the squad normally
- The Ayews have gone - they were loaned out and haven't featured at all

Fer's the only one of that list who would be a regular when fit. Carroll to a lesser extent. Their CB, Van de Horn, is also key - he has PL experience but was 3rd choice last year, but that's still better than we could afford.

Potter's done what we expected Hurst to do. Celina was expensive (although he's actually been really quiet), but otherwise he's put together a squad pretty much on the cheap and with a core of former development side players.

I think where Swansea have benefitted more is that they were able to invest in their U23s/development squad while they were in the PL. Those players struggled to break into the PL team, but now they are showing the benefit of being brought through the system together playing a certain way.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024