Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Evans 07:25 - Aug 23 with 5859 viewspennblue

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/richest-owners-champ

Is he going to put his hand in his pocket? He can certainly afford to.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Evans on 11:03 - Aug 23 with 1392 viewsNo9

If he looks at is as a business & he probably does, he will make business decisions and invest accordingly.
Evans on 11:22 - Aug 23 with 1376 viewspennblue

Evans on 10:40 - Aug 23 by Guthrum

People need to understand how these wealth figures are calculated. I used to do a job which involved researching these kinds of people and assessing their potential to give to charity (which is quite similar to pouring money into a bottomless football club pit).

The vast majority of that £765m represents the share of Marcus Evans Group which he (and his family) owns. It is an entirely notional sum, based on a valuation of the business (somewhat speculative if not publicly listed, but a private company, especially if overseas) and how many shares are held (again, may include informed guesses if not in UK). This is not money he can spend, as such. Evans is highly unlikely to sell his business to fund Ipswich Town, nor would he get that much for it if he tried.

MEG is not some cash cow like effectively state-owned Middle/Far Eastern oil monopolies or Asian/Russian oligarchic trading empires. They have very different income streams and business environments.

There will also be a small proportion of property and other material assets. Most of his personal income will have gone into those, as a better investment than savings. Again, he's not going to sell his house(s) for ITFC, any more than an ordinary fan would.

I actually doubt he has much more than £5m spare every year to put in, even that might be stretching it.

That may well be a fair assessment. But if I only had £5 million to invest each year, I would be asking myself whether I should be running the football club, or whether, in the best interests of the club, I don't have deep enough pockets, and it be best for someone else to step in.

Evans on 11:23 - Aug 23 with 1373 viewspennblue

Evans on 08:56 - Aug 23 by homer_123

OK and what do you class as 'success'? What's the end point?
[Post edited 23 Aug 2018 8:56]

The 'end point' has to promotion to the Premier League, and ultimately, competing in Europe again doesn't it?

I mean, if that is not the goal, then what is?

Evans on 11:31 - Aug 23 with 1369 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Evans on 07:45 - Aug 23 by WarkTheWarkITFC

I’ve never understood this mentality.

It’s like saying that the worlds most profitable businesses should plough all the profits back into customer experience.

Marcus Evans is entitled to spend his money on whatever he chooses. I don’t blame him for running ITFC how he does. He could have wasted £50m more over the last 3 years doing what Derby did. Look at what Sunderland spent. Look at Stoke’s start.

He could put more money in. But the stay away supporters could also do so. We could all buy more merchandise. He’s chosen to put in £6m of his own money per season. That’s a huge amount.

If more investment guaranteed more success he’d be all over it. But it doesn’t. He actually went for that initially and it backfired. Why would he do that again?

Agree entirely. We haven’t spent money well since the beginning of his reign, and we have gone down a different route now which also may prove to be a failure.

Also have to remember that his value will be measured in asset value from multiple businesses. It certainly won’t reflect what he has in his back pocket.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Evans on 11:31 - Aug 23 with 1368 viewsgt81

Two brief points whilst I'm on a tea break:

- Not all of Evan's net worth will be in liquid assets, i.e. cash, so he may not be able to mobilise assets to invest

- FFP rules don't allow owners to spend willy nilly even if they're happy to take the loss, it's all tied in to how much debt clubs can carry and the club's income. Quite how other clubs are circumventing the rules is beyond me, but if they were being adequately enforced we'd be in a better position.
Evans on 11:38 - Aug 23 with 1367 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Evans on 08:29 - Aug 23 by RegencyBlue

He bought us hoping to make money though.

Clearly the original plan was to buy the debt at a fraction of its face value, throw in a few million to get promoted and then, with access to the Premiership millions get paid back in full. He could then continue siphoning off money or sell us. Either way he would be quids in!

Since that blew up spectacularly in his face he hasn’t had a clue what to do with us as far as I can see.

Certainly he thought he could make a return and (perhaps naively) thought it'd be easy to get promoted with his initial investment in the playing squad.

It's all very simple. The landscape has changed hugely since Evans bought ITFC and he, quite understandably, has no appetite to compete with the big spenders in the transfer market. He sees the academy as a potential differential.

As an aside, it would be interesting to see what he'd do financially if we were bottom in January.
Evans on 11:39 - Aug 23 with 1364 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Evans on 11:22 - Aug 23 by pennblue

That may well be a fair assessment. But if I only had £5 million to invest each year, I would be asking myself whether I should be running the football club, or whether, in the best interests of the club, I don't have deep enough pockets, and it be best for someone else to step in.

If somebody else with deeper pockets wanted it, and was right for it, he'd sell.

There isn't a queue.
Evans on 11:40 - Aug 23 with 1361 viewsGuthrum

Not as simple as that. Who's going to 'step in'? Does Evans have to write off his entire investment for that to happen? Why should he have to give up something he maybe enjoys just because the fans demand he spends more on something which is working ok as it is?

Is it in the best interests of the club to borrow hugely in order to gamble on the slim chance of promotion?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Evans on 11:42 - Aug 23 with 1359 viewshype313

It's probably not hard to think that if a reasonable offer came in he would listen to it, however it hasn't, so he has no choice to run the club on a tight ship.

As Guthers said, he is asset rich rather than cash rich which means he's not like the olicharchs or others who can throw huge sums at these kind of projects.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Evans on 12:02 - Aug 23 with 1353 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Evans on 07:42 - Aug 23 by pennblue

He is clearly very careful with his pounds. So what is he going to do if the club in the relegation zone in October?

Purely from a business perspective, he is not going to want to see us go down.

I can see his hand being forced into putting some money in after years of underinvestment.

Controversial view here but would we actually lose that much money by going down?

Crowds are hardly likely to get smaller - in fact we may well see a boost if we were to challenge and win most weeks. Obviously we’d lose some sponsorship and TV money but I’d question how significant the drop would be

Obviously a prolonged stay would impact and there’s a million and one other reasons I wouldn’t want is to go down, but I’m not convinced that just going down in itself would hit Evans in the pocket too much

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Evans on 12:16 - Aug 23 with 1342 viewsSteve_M

Evans on 12:02 - Aug 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Controversial view here but would we actually lose that much money by going down?

Crowds are hardly likely to get smaller - in fact we may well see a boost if we were to challenge and win most weeks. Obviously we’d lose some sponsorship and TV money but I’d question how significant the drop would be

Obviously a prolonged stay would impact and there’s a million and one other reasons I wouldn’t want is to go down, but I’m not convinced that just going down in itself would hit Evans in the pocket too much

It was £1m per season last year in tv money I think. The main reason not to go down would be seeing most of our young players picked off relatively cheaply. I'm not convinced we would come back quickly from relegation either.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Evans on 12:30 - Aug 23 with 1329 viewsThe_Great_Cornholio

Evans on 10:40 - Aug 23 by Guthrum

People need to understand how these wealth figures are calculated. I used to do a job which involved researching these kinds of people and assessing their potential to give to charity (which is quite similar to pouring money into a bottomless football club pit).

The vast majority of that £765m represents the share of Marcus Evans Group which he (and his family) owns. It is an entirely notional sum, based on a valuation of the business (somewhat speculative if not publicly listed, but a private company, especially if overseas) and how many shares are held (again, may include informed guesses if not in UK). This is not money he can spend, as such. Evans is highly unlikely to sell his business to fund Ipswich Town, nor would he get that much for it if he tried.

MEG is not some cash cow like effectively state-owned Middle/Far Eastern oil monopolies or Asian/Russian oligarchic trading empires. They have very different income streams and business environments.

There will also be a small proportion of property and other material assets. Most of his personal income will have gone into those, as a better investment than savings. Again, he's not going to sell his house(s) for ITFC, any more than an ordinary fan would.

I actually doubt he has much more than £5m spare every year to put in, even that might be stretching it.

Exactly this.

I need TP, TP for my bunghole.

Evans on 20:38 - Aug 23 with 1280 viewsRegencyBlue

Evans on 10:53 - Aug 23 by legoman

This is a football club that he decided to save because no one else was going to. He didn't buy it for fun.

No it’s not!

It’s a football club he thought he could make money out of, he was also looking at Southampton at the time he acquired us. The sentiment implied here had nothing to do with it.

We are an investment that didn’t work out.
Evans on 20:41 - Aug 23 with 1276 viewsSpruceMoose

Evans on 20:38 - Aug 23 by RegencyBlue

No it’s not!

It’s a football club he thought he could make money out of, he was also looking at Southampton at the time he acquired us. The sentiment implied here had nothing to do with it.

We are an investment that didn’t work out.

If it's a gamble, then it isn't an investment.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Evans on 20:48 - Aug 23 with 1272 viewsmrshallisfit

Evans on 10:53 - Aug 23 by legoman

This is a football club that he decided to save because no one else was going to. He didn't buy it for fun.

Jeez. Do you really believe that?
Evans on 21:07 - Aug 23 with 1265 viewsBloomBlue

Maybe he prefers to give money to the workers of his other companies.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024