Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we had a second referendum 15:36 - Jul 11 with 4350 viewsGlasgowBlue

what would your preference for format and questions be? I'd have three questions.

1. Accept government deal
2. Stay in
3. Lave with no deal

We would use the second preference system which knocks one option out and eventualy one of the options gets over 50%

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

If we had a second referendum on 16:01 - Jul 11 with 2928 viewsconnorscontract

I would be absolutely delighted with that.

Because I am an internationalist at heart and, in spite of being imperfect and bureaucratic, believe the EU has helped bring about an historically long period of peace in Europe, and I feel bereaved over the prospect of a Hard Brexit.

I hope Remain would win this time, but if Leave wins then I will of course accept that...

...and probably head for Canada, a progressive, multicultural, country.
If we had a second referendum on 16:06 - Jul 11 with 2910 viewsJ2BLUE

Agree with that. As long as full terms are known. If we're losing opt outs etc.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If we had a second referendum on 16:06 - Jul 11 with 2911 viewsMullet

1. Should we say sorry to the EU Yes / No?
2. Should we let them renegotiate our terms as the English way with fair play Yes /No?
3. How long should Boris, Davis and the other traitors get? 25 years / Life means life

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

If we had a second referendum on 16:07 - Jul 11 with 2909 viewsGlasgowBlue

If we had a second referendum on 16:01 - Jul 11 by connorscontract

Because I am an internationalist at heart and, in spite of being imperfect and bureaucratic, believe the EU has helped bring about an historically long period of peace in Europe, and I feel bereaved over the prospect of a Hard Brexit.

I hope Remain would win this time, but if Leave wins then I will of course accept that...

I have said for some time that a secoind referendum would heal the divisions and noboy could argue with the result, regardless of the outcome.

Iron Lion Zion

If we had a second referendum on 16:08 - Jul 11 with 2901 viewsGlasgowBlue

If we had a second referendum on 16:06 - Jul 11 by J2BLUE

Agree with that. As long as full terms are known. If we're losing opt outs etc.

Without any biased spin. All completely fact checked by people who don't have a dog in the fight.

Iron Lion Zion

If we had a second referendum on 16:11 - Jul 11 with 2886 viewsJ2BLUE

If we had a second referendum on 16:08 - Jul 11 by GlasgowBlue

Without any biased spin. All completely fact checked by people who don't have a dog in the fight.

That would be good.

The deal we get will probably be watered down. Ideally a referendum would be a straight fight between hard Brexit and remaining. A soft Brexit seems pointless for both sides.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If we had a second referendum on 16:11 - Jul 11 with 2891 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

If we had a second referendum on 16:01 - Jul 11 by connorscontract

Hasn’t NATO largely been responsible for ensuring peace in Europe?

Canada is of course a great example of a successful nation largely because it is free of just the sort the incumbenrences that the EU imposes on the UK.
If we had a second referendum on 16:14 - Jul 11 with 2877 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

If we had a second referendum on 16:07 - Jul 11 by GlasgowBlue

I have said for some time that a secoind referendum would heal the divisions and noboy could argue with the result, regardless of the outcome.

I disagree, a second referendum would play straight in to the hands of the EU in the way they persuaded others in the past to vote again until they got the result they wanted. An awful lot of the 17.4 m who voted to leave would feel utterly betrayed if the Govt (of any persuasion) moved for a second vote.
Login to get fewer ads

If we had a second referendum on 16:16 - Jul 11 with 2847 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

If we had a second referendum on 16:18 - Jul 11 with 2833 viewsGlasgowBlue

If we had a second referendum on 16:14 - Jul 11 by blueblueburleymcgrew

I disagree, a second referendum would play straight in to the hands of the EU in the way they persuaded others in the past to vote again until they got the result they wanted. An awful lot of the 17.4 m who voted to leave would feel utterly betrayed if the Govt (of any persuasion) moved for a second vote.

I voted leave. I would vote leave again. I wouldn't feel betrayed if those three options were out to the electorate.

Iron Lion Zion

If we had a second referendum on 16:19 - Jul 11 with 2831 viewsBlueinBrum

If we had a second referendum on 16:11 - Jul 11 by blueblueburleymcgrew

Hasn’t NATO largely been responsible for ensuring peace in Europe?

Canada is of course a great example of a successful nation largely because it is free of just the sort the incumbenrences that the EU imposes on the UK.

Please specify these encumbrances.
If we had a second referendum on 16:19 - Jul 11 with 2822 viewsBluefish

I don't see how it can work. If we were to go ref2 staying in needs to be off the options (and I am a remainer). If stay in won it would go on forever.

The options should be proposed offer or no deal

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

If we had a second referendum on 16:23 - Jul 11 with 2801 viewsBlueinBrum

If we had a second referendum on 16:07 - Jul 11 by GlasgowBlue

I think this is a logical point actually, and as the most avid of remainers I would accept the result if this happened.

That doesn't mean i wouldn't then potentially campaign to rejoin the EU, but i would be more accepting of the entire situation.

This is a weird thing for me to say because i don't believe referendums have a place in a representative democracy like ours, but the current situation is so fooked that a second ref would at least offer a way to get some closure and move on.
If we had a second referendum on 16:47 - Jul 11 with 2728 viewslegal_blue

Yes, absolutely the way forward - hence the campaign for a Peoples Vote.

If Brexit is such a good idea, and if the 'will of the people' is to Brexit, then why not confirm one of the biggest changes to the law, economy and culture in the UK?

It could be put:

Do you wish the UK to:

1) Remain in the European Union, or

2) Leave the European Union

If the majority choose to Leave the European Union, should the UK:

a) Leave on the terms negotiated and agreed by the UK and EU?, (Soft Brexit) or

b) Leave the EU without any deal? (Hard Brexit)

There could be no doubt about the outcome. The people would be presented with what the government has managed to agree as a matter of fact and could accept it, or reject it.

It would be open to Brexiteers to vote to remain in the EU and continue to make the case for leaving.

Amazingly, they could do so without being 'traitors' or undermining democracy. Because democracy allows us all to change our minds, which is especially important when we've been lied to.
If we had a second referendum on 16:49 - Jul 11 with 2717 viewsGlasgowBlue

If we had a second referendum on 16:47 - Jul 11 by legal_blue

If Brexit is such a good idea, and if the 'will of the people' is to Brexit, then why not confirm one of the biggest changes to the law, economy and culture in the UK?

It could be put:

Do you wish the UK to:

There could be no doubt about the outcome. The people would be presented with what the government has managed to agree as a matter of fact and could accept it, or reject it.

It would be open to Brexiteers to vote to remain in the EU and continue to make the case for leaving.

Amazingly, they could do so without being 'traitors' or undermining democracy. Because democracy allows us all to change our minds, which is especially important when we've been lied to.

Although had we a stronger and competent government we could have had a hard Brexit with a deal. Hard Brexit didn't have to be no deal.

Iron Lion Zion

If we had a second referendum on 17:00 - Jul 11 with 2699 viewssotd78

If we had a second referendum on 16:14 - Jul 11 by blueblueburleymcgrew

I'd suggest that more than half the country now feel totally betrayed by this Govt. It was split before ever Cameron wanted to offer the referendum. That clearly backfired on him. Boris thought he could play both sides and has been found out. May and Corbyn are the equivalent of Yeovil and Burton Albion trying to play Championship footie.

What exactly did we vote to leave btw? Still not sure.

However, just for clarity I am a federalist; I believe we raise up the welfare of all the people by working collectively and collaboratively. We'd have no migrant labour clamouring to be here if they weren't so poor as to want to come here.

The majority of EU rules and regs are for the greater good of 500 million people and not just 65 million.

Read George Orwell's 1984 and work out which bloc we are in - it ain't China and it ain't USA - best we were in the third one perhaps?

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

If we had a second referendum on 17:03 - Jul 11 with 2684 viewsElderGrizzly

If we had a second referendum on 16:08 - Jul 11 by GlasgowBlue

Indeed.

The original “in or out” question was way too simplistic, especially with the lack of facts.

Any new vote has to be on what ‘out’ really means or simply stay in.
If we had a second referendum on 17:04 - Jul 11 with 2685 viewsNo9

If we had a second referendum on 16:47 - Jul 11 by legal_blue

It could be put:

Do you wish the UK to:

Unfortunately brexiteers are not that rational.
Although I like your thoughts, there is no such thing as a soft brexit.
The goverment still will NOT tell us what they really intend.
How damaging leaving the EU will be can only be considered sector by sector.

The reports doen for the governemtn and placed in the H.o.C library have reputedly been read by less than a hunderd of the near 700 in parliament- the MP's are not interested
If we had a second referendum on 17:05 - Jul 11 with 2672 viewsGlasgowBlue

If we had a second referendum on 17:04 - Jul 11 by No9

Unfortunately brexiteers are not that rational.
Although I like your thoughts, there is no such thing as a soft brexit.
The goverment still will NOT tell us what they really intend.
How damaging leaving the EU will be can only be considered sector by sector.

The reports doen for the governemtn and placed in the H.o.C library have reputedly been read by less than a hunderd of the near 700 in parliament- the MP's are not interested

"Unfortunately brexiteers are not that rational"

And yet this thread was started by a Brexiteer.

Iron Lion Zion

If we had a second referendum on 17:07 - Jul 11 with 2671 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

If we had a second referendum on 16:19 - Jul 11 by BlueinBrum

Please specify these encumbrances.

For me, what holds us back are such things as

The common fisheries policy
The common agricultural policy
The ECJ
The Customs Union and our inability to cut trade deals with who we like
The billions we pay over to the EU each year
Ceding sovereignty to the EU
The lack of democratic accountability at the top of the EU

The fact that it is such a struggle to leave is perhaps evidence of just how much control the EU has over the UK, I wonder if the behaviour of the EU since the referendum result has changed the minds of some doubtful remainers.
If we had a second referendum on 17:15 - Jul 11 with 2638 viewsGlasgowBlue

If we had a second referendum on 17:07 - Jul 11 by blueblueburleymcgrew

For me, what holds us back are such things as

The common fisheries policy
The common agricultural policy
The ECJ
The Customs Union and our inability to cut trade deals with who we like
The billions we pay over to the EU each year
Ceding sovereignty to the EU
The lack of democratic accountability at the top of the EU

The fact that it is such a struggle to leave is perhaps evidence of just how much control the EU has over the UK, I wonder if the behaviour of the EU since the referendum result has changed the minds of some doubtful remainers.

Your last point is very important. In 1975 people voted to reamin in a common market. The uk is so entagled in the EU that it looks increasingly harder to leave.

Iron Lion Zion

If we had a second referendum on 17:15 - Jul 11 with 2639 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

If we had a second referendum on 17:00 - Jul 11 by sotd78

I'd suggest that more than half the country now feel totally betrayed by this Govt. It was split before ever Cameron wanted to offer the referendum. That clearly backfired on him. Boris thought he could play both sides and has been found out. May and Corbyn are the equivalent of Yeovil and Burton Albion trying to play Championship footie.

What exactly did we vote to leave btw? Still not sure.

However, just for clarity I am a federalist; I believe we raise up the welfare of all the people by working collectively and collaboratively. We'd have no migrant labour clamouring to be here if they weren't so poor as to want to come here.

The majority of EU rules and regs are for the greater good of 500 million people and not just 65 million.

Read George Orwell's 1984 and work out which bloc we are in - it ain't China and it ain't USA - best we were in the third one perhaps?

Which other party (apart from the Lib Dem’s who want another vote) have articulated a clear vision of Brexit?

Not sure about your reference to federalism and migrant workers, are those migrants from the EU or elsewhere to which you refer? It is possible to be open to migration and out of the EU I am happy with the free movement of people it’s wonderful for this country.

I can’t speak for other countries most have entirely different circumstances, but I would suggest the Euro scepticsism is growing faster in Europe now amongst the populas than federalism is.
If we had a second referendum on 17:19 - Jul 11 with 2623 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

If we had a second referendum on 17:15 - Jul 11 by GlasgowBlue

Your last point is very important. In 1975 people voted to reamin in a common market. The uk is so entagled in the EU that it looks increasingly harder to leave.

The EEC was a very different proposition it bears no resemblance to what we have today. We are entangled in something akin to Japanese rot weed that we can’t seem to shift.
If we had a second referendum on 17:29 - Jul 11 with 2603 viewsNewcyBlue

So, this £350mn for the NHS, not on the table any more?

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

If we had a second referendum on 17:43 - Jul 11 with 2570 viewsNo9

If we had a second referendum on 17:05 - Jul 11 by GlasgowBlue

"Unfortunately brexiteers are not that rational"

And yet this thread was started by a Brexiteer.

One who never answers any questions about leaving the EU; that isn't being rational but it is being a brexiteer
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024