Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ 17:26 - May 24 with 13590 viewsVeryStableGenius

Looks to me like someone from the club has given the EADT an unofficial progress update.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/town-hope-to-land-paul-hurst-but-do-have-back-up-opt
[Post edited 24 May 2018 17:26]
‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 17:57 - May 24 with 3477 viewsJ2BLUE

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 17:53 - May 24 by PhilTWTD

To be fair, I think it's clear that was the case. Ross impressed during the interview process but Hurst was always the candidate to beat, as such, which has been the understanding for some while. I don't think it was a coincidence that the timescale ME set out was closely linked to the play-off date.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Why do the interviews so early for the other candidates? Seems odd.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 17:57 - May 24 with 3469 viewsSpruceMoose

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 17:55 - May 24 by itfcmatty

Chris Coleman

Second time I've seen you spouting this nonsense.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 17:58 - May 24 with 3479 viewsPhilTWTD

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 17:52 - May 24 by Cheltenham_Blue

Out of interest Phil, do ITFC make you flash a press card for pressers?

Only ask because there were a raft of Camera thefts from press rooms this season and all clubs were supposed to be tightening up on access.

Pre-match there's only a handful of us, so not an issue and no snappers anyway. At games like other clubs, sign in having shown accreditation. Security has increased everywhere over the last couple of years so bags are checked.
‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 17:59 - May 24 with 3471 viewsitfcmatty

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 17:57 - May 24 by Kieran_Knows

Not exactly ‘something different’ as Evans alluded to, is he?

he was with Kieron Dyer. I heard them talking about meeting with Marcus Evans.
‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 17:59 - May 24 with 3464 viewsPhilTWTD

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 17:44 - May 24 by VeryStableGenius

The piece is credited to Watson and Warren. Stating that ‘it’s understood’ is basically journalistic short-hand for ‘we can’t reveal our source but it has been provided by a credible third-party’.

‘It’s understood that Hurst — whose Shrewsbury side contest a League One Play-Off Final against Rotherham this Sunday — was very quickly identified as a leading contender for the job in the early stages of Marcus Evans’ search almost two months ago.’

Or that it's been reported elsewhere but not confirmed.
‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 18:00 - May 24 with 3460 viewsJ2BLUE

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 17:59 - May 24 by itfcmatty

he was with Kieron Dyer. I heard them talking about meeting with Marcus Evans.

Sure you did.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 18:00 - May 24 with 3463 viewsBehindBlueEyes

Phil, is this commonly known as I've not seen this little snippet before.

"It’s understood that as recently as the last fortnight, the employers and/or agents of Maurice Steijn (VVV Venlo), Darrell Clarke (Bristol Rovers) and Michael Appleton (Leicester City, assistant) have all been contacted, with previous enquiries having been made about Paul Cook (Wigan), Nathan Jones (Luton) and Paul Tisdale (Exeter)."

Do you know if any have been interviewed?

Blog: Kundai Benyu – The Golden Shot?

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 18:02 - May 24 with 3460 viewsPhilTWTD

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 17:57 - May 24 by J2BLUE

Why do the interviews so early for the other candidates? Seems odd.

I suppose they wanted to speak to people as soon as they could, was also possible Hurst could have been available a couple of weeks ago and all might have got done then.
Login to get fewer ads

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 18:09 - May 24 with 3453 viewsPhilTWTD

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 18:00 - May 24 by BehindBlueEyes

Phil, is this commonly known as I've not seen this little snippet before.

"It’s understood that as recently as the last fortnight, the employers and/or agents of Maurice Steijn (VVV Venlo), Darrell Clarke (Bristol Rovers) and Michael Appleton (Leicester City, assistant) have all been contacted, with previous enquiries having been made about Paul Cook (Wigan), Nathan Jones (Luton) and Paul Tisdale (Exeter)."

Do you know if any have been interviewed?

I'd be surprised if the process of asking permission had continued as recently as suggested as I think we've been at the shortlist stage for a while rather than looking to add to the potential targets. A lot of people were contacted or their agents or clubs sounded out though, I know that.

Certainly would surprise me if Steijn was among those contacted, I think we would have heard as he seemed very keen to make a lot of noise about last summer's rumours and I think TWTD's Dutch contacts would have been informed*.

ME and Ian Milne are quite close to the Bristol Rovers owner so probably would have been some informal chat on him at some point. Jones is believed to have what's considered too big a price on his head and I was told there had been no contact with Tisdale when his name came up in the betting.

*On which note, just been sent this, unprompted, from Holland. Steijn says he's staying with VVV-Venlo as he's not had a better offer this summer.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.t

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 18:15 - May 24 with 3388 viewsitfcjoe

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 17:37 - May 24 by VeryStableGenius

I disagree. This is more specific than any of the information we have received so far. ME is putting on record that Hurst has always been his first choice.

It reads to me as a club leak to set the narrative that it was always Hurst we wanted, potentially to save face re Ross.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 18:16 - May 24 with 3380 viewsVeryStableGenius

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 17:48 - May 24 by BrixtonBlue

Yeah I know how journalism works, I have a degree in it. But thanks for the lesson.

You seem to have missed my point (deliberately or otherwise). They say *a* leading contender not *the* leading contender.

There is nothing in that piece that says he was ever the leading contender (though he may well be now).

Sorry mate, I hadn’t read your previous point. I may be suffering from over-exposure to this story, but I just thought that this article had a bit more specific substance than had previously been in the public domain.
‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 18:26 - May 24 with 3345 viewsLesta_Tractor

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 17:57 - May 24 by Kieran_Knows

Not exactly ‘something different’ as Evans alluded to, is he?

Mick McCarthy isn’t welsh...

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 18:27 - May 24 with 3335 viewsVeryStableGenius

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 18:15 - May 24 by itfcjoe

It reads to me as a club leak to set the narrative that it was always Hurst we wanted, potentially to save face re Ross.

That was/is my interpretation.
[Post edited 24 May 2018 18:29]
‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 18:34 - May 24 with 3318 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

"Ipswich Town are hopeful of landing Paul Hurst as their manager next week, but do have other irons in the fire."

......so it's David Moyes then!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 18:35 - May 24 with 3310 viewsBlueyandCrazy

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 18:27 - May 24 by VeryStableGenius

That was/is my interpretation.
[Post edited 24 May 2018 18:29]

If Ross had been no1 choice though he’d have been offered the job if he impressed......Hurst has been to main target, the timescale and waiting seems to back this up before this article confirming that.

Issue is more that Ross it would appear was the main back up option, so now they have to ensure a preferred back up is lined up if the Hurst option falls through.......I suspect it’s Parker....

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 19:05 - May 24 with 3246 viewssundaze

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 17:53 - May 24 with 583 views
PhilTWTD

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 17:41 - May 24 by Lord_Lucan

I haven't read the article but now he has fecked JR up he will always say Hurst was first choice just to save face.

To be fair, I think it's clear that was the case. Ross impressed during the interview process but Hurst was always the candidate to beat, as such, which has been the understanding for some while. I don't think it was a coincidence that the timescale ME set out was closely linked to the play-off date.
‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 19:08 - May 24 with 3235 viewsElderGrizzly

Hasn’t Phil just literally said Hurst was always no.1 choice?
‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 19:14 - May 24 with 3213 viewssundaze

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 19:08 - May 24 by ElderGrizzly

Yes, thank Christ you could see it too. I had to read it a few times to make sure I wasn't imagining it.
‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 19:16 - May 24 with 3203 viewsjas0999

Unlikely. It’s all guess work. Either that or the club have asked the EADT to print a load of spin, as they must be aware there is some disappointment and condemnation of Evans out in the public domain.
‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 19:18 - May 24 with 3197 viewsLord_Lucan

I don't disagree with the first bit but I also believe that Ross became No 1 after the interview process - and the fans reaction after the deliberate leak - but ME thought he could have his cake and eat it
[Post edited 24 May 2018 19:24]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 19:20 - May 24 with 3190 viewsjas0999

For argument sake: Hurst goes to Derby or decides to stay at Shrewsbury. Ross signs for Sunderland. The latter almost certain. What do you think the plan would be? Who is likely to be appointed?
‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 19:26 - May 24 with 3180 viewsPhilTWTD

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 19:08 - May 24 by ElderGrizzly

That was how I understood it from a fair while back, that he was the or among the initial candidates to beat, however, I think Ross made a significant impression, more than anyone through the interview process, and ME was going to make the choice between the two once formal talks take place with PH next week.

Nathan Jones by PhilTWTD 9 May 2018 8:49
Jones was certainly among those being considered but his buyout clause appears to be more than ME is willing to pay. Not sure how much.

As per other posts, ME was impressed by Sherwood's interview but I think the negative reaction to his name being in the frame will have disuaded them from taking things further.

I think Paul Hurst is the leading contender as things stand. I assume there are others to be interviewed who could make a strong case but at the moment I reckon it'll be him that gets the nod.

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 19:33 - May 24 with 3154 viewsPhilTWTD

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 19:20 - May 24 by jas0999

For argument sake: Hurst goes to Derby or decides to stay at Shrewsbury. Ross signs for Sunderland. The latter almost certain. What do you think the plan would be? Who is likely to be appointed?

I've not heard that Derby are interested in Hurst and he's nowhere in the betting, not that I've seen anyway. I'm sure Town will be telling PH they've other options, no decisions made etc as otherwise he can just dictate terms. If something does go awry - and I think they've got a pretty good idea of the position with Hurst and Shrewsbury already - then from what I was told everyone who was interviewed gave a decent account of themselves.

My hunch would be that Scott Parker might emerge as a leading third candidate but that's just me speculating. I know he is very well regarded and viewed as someone with a big future as a manager.
‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 19:36 - May 24 with 3133 viewsLord_Lucan

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 19:33 - May 24 by PhilTWTD

I've not heard that Derby are interested in Hurst and he's nowhere in the betting, not that I've seen anyway. I'm sure Town will be telling PH they've other options, no decisions made etc as otherwise he can just dictate terms. If something does go awry - and I think they've got a pretty good idea of the position with Hurst and Shrewsbury already - then from what I was told everyone who was interviewed gave a decent account of themselves.

My hunch would be that Scott Parker might emerge as a leading third candidate but that's just me speculating. I know he is very well regarded and viewed as someone with a big future as a manager.

I agree on Parker.

Actually I would prefer him anyway.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 19:38 - May 24 with 3120 viewsNthsuffolkblue

‘Hurst was the leading contender from the start’ on 17:37 - May 24 by VeryStableGenius

I disagree. This is more specific than any of the information we have received so far. ME is putting on record that Hurst has always been his first choice.

The Star got an exclusive interview with ME AND he revealed that on the record?

Wow!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024