Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town 13:10 - May 24 with 10162 viewsVeryStableGenius

'He [Ross] also talked terms with Ipswich officials earlier this week, but the Portman Road club were reluctant to make a final decision over his candidature as they are keen to speak to Shrewsbury Town boss Paul Hurst once he has presided over his current employers’ League One play-off final against Rotherham United on Sunday.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/16246691.Ross_turns_down_Ipswich_to_becom
Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:45 - May 24 with 3478 viewsVeryStableGenius

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:36 - May 24 by DanFord

What possible harm would it do Ross to wait until he is back from holiday before agreeing to move to Sunderland anyway. We'd have a chance to speak to Hurst and could then make a move for Ross if we wanted him, giving him pick of the jobs. Sunderland could hardly have made an ultimatum of sign now or we will move onto someone else because then it would be clear they weren't that desperate to land him. It's all very strange.

When the dust settles on this, I am very glad that we can take the moral high ground with regards to the way we have conducted business. I don't think that this goes unnoticed by the football community. Would be a fantastic outcome if Ross prioritised this stability over Sunderland's chaotic approach. I live in hope.
Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:46 - May 24 with 3472 viewsRegencyBlue

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:29 - May 24 by jpring89

Not really. Evans knows he needs to deliver Hurst now. Only problem is if there are any other clubs after him.

Indeed, and given the number of clubs on the lookout for a new manager that has to be a distinct possibility.

I guess we find out one way or the other next week.
Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:48 - May 24 with 3460 viewsurbanblue

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:44 - May 24 by Kieran_Knows

Do you think all that is going to bother him when they 5x his salary to £350k a year? Even if he's sacked after a few months he'll be in for a decent payout.

Exactly
Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:52 - May 24 with 3444 viewsArcher4721

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:33 - May 24 by Superfrans

I have to say, it all sounds very fishy. First the owner said their manager would be announced yesterday, than it was going to be today, now Ross isn't back from Greece until before the weekend (presumably tomorrow).

This on top of announcing he'd been signed, before seeking permission from St Mirren etc.

I wonder what Ross will think about all of this.

I would imagine Ross would be very happy with things...Afterall it was he who leaked ITFC's interest to the media in order to push things along with Sunderland.
Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:52 - May 24 with 3442 viewsGuthrum

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:44 - May 24 by Kieran_Knows

Do you think all that is going to bother him when they 5x his salary to £350k a year? Even if he's sacked after a few months he'll be in for a decent payout.

Depends whether doing that damages his prospects going forwards. To fail and be sacked in League One - even by mad owners - is not necessarily a good thing to have on one's CV when looking for better jobs.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:53 - May 24 with 3433 viewsitfcjoe

If similar was on offer here, which doesn't seem beyond realms of possibility (£7k a week when Mick was reportedly on £20k) he may want to keep this as an option if he can beat out Hurst

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:56 - May 24 with 3415 viewsArcher4721

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:53 - May 24 by itfcjoe

If similar was on offer here, which doesn't seem beyond realms of possibility (£7k a week when Mick was reportedly on £20k) he may want to keep this as an option if he can beat out Hurst

Joe. He doesn't want to come here mate.....and probably never did. He played us.
Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:58 - May 24 with 3410 viewsWadeyBlue

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:17 - May 24 by SpruceMoose

Ross seems to be the kind of guy who would wear a Stringfellow-esque thong on the beach.

Just sayin'.

Is that not a good look then?

Sh1t..ive got one in every colour as well.

Poll: In our multicultural society and ever changing world should we offer halal food?

Login to get fewer ads

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:58 - May 24 with 3403 viewsSpruceMoose

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:58 - May 24 by WadeyBlue

Is that not a good look then?

Sh1t..ive got one in every colour as well.

If you post up some pictures we can have a discussion about it!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:06 - May 24 with 3365 viewsKieran_Knows

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:52 - May 24 by Guthrum

Depends whether doing that damages his prospects going forwards. To fail and be sacked in League One - even by mad owners - is not necessarily a good thing to have on one's CV when looking for better jobs.

I imagine he'd get a job back up in Scotland quite easily (with a few quid in his pocket as well).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:07 - May 24 with 3352 viewsLord_Lucan

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:15 - May 24 by VeryStableGenius

Surprised Sunderland are intending to make an announcement while Ross is sunning himself in Greece. Unfortunately it seems that money will talk and Sunderland will offer him silly money.

There is no reason why Ross can't sign a contract whilst enjoying a Vodka and Irn Bru by the pool.

This isn't 1974

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:09 - May 24 with 3338 viewsNo9

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:07 - May 24 by Lord_Lucan

There is no reason why Ross can't sign a contract whilst enjoying a Vodka and Irn Bru by the pool.

This isn't 1974

Did you watch The Damned United?
Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:11 - May 24 with 3333 viewsdirtyboy

I do think the timing of this whole thing is all over the place.

I liked Stewart Donald on TalkSport, he seemed nice, but very 'green' in how he came across.

It's clear he came off air and text the name over and it was all over the place in seconds.

What is strange is that Ross is on holiday and would make a decision immediately, knowing that we're likely interested and he may have two offers to choose between on Tuesday (unless we're miles off in terms and conditions).

If SD was so sure yesterday he was hoping to announce JR last night, but it's now half way through the next day, I can't help but think there's more holding this up and that maybe that we've done something to make him think twice about it?
Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:12 - May 24 with 3324 viewstextbackup

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 13:43 - May 24 by itfcjoe

I suppose the only possible hope that Ross is open to coming here and therefore we can potentially choose between Hurst and Ross is how he feels about the chaotic way Sunderland have handled his 'appointment'.

If what the SAFC chairman says is true and he has agreed terms, and they now have permission to speak to him then it is a done deal. But I can't imagine Sunderland's style will have impressed Ross, and it may also give him concern as to how the new ownership will run the club.

or he wont give a toss, quadruple his wage, and be sorted I league 1 with a big budget?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:14 - May 24 with 3314 viewsGuthrum

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:06 - May 24 by Kieran_Knows

I imagine he'd get a job back up in Scotland quite easily (with a few quid in his pocket as well).

He's already got a job in the ScotPrem. Six months in L1 is not going to get him Celtic or Rangers (the only two really big positions up there). It would be a one-off £350k against however many millions should he impress enough to make it into the English Premier League.

Doesn't sound like a good option to me, unless he doesn't believe he can cut it south of the border.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:17 - May 24 with 3299 viewsPhilTWTD

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:06 - May 24 by Kieran_Knows

That may be true but I'd not want to go into a job concerned what I was getting myself into and having a fallback position in mind from the off. That's not saying JR is in that position,of course, although I agree with Joe and Superfrans that the way things have been handled up to now might cause him pause for thought.
Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:20 - May 24 with 3289 viewsOsborneOneNil

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:17 - May 24 by PhilTWTD

That may be true but I'd not want to go into a job concerned what I was getting myself into and having a fallback position in mind from the off. That's not saying JR is in that position,of course, although I agree with Joe and Superfrans that the way things have been handled up to now might cause him pause for thought.

Would you prefer Ross or Hurst, Phil?
Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:23 - May 24 with 3275 viewsPhilTWTD

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:20 - May 24 by OsborneOneNil

Would you prefer Ross or Hurst, Phil?

Wouldn't be unhappy with either of them but I think Hurst's greater experience at a higher level and over a longer period of time gives him the edge. And I would assume he has a better knowledge of the lower divisions/U23 leagues from which he would have to recruit to a large degree.
Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:24 - May 24 with 3258 viewsSpruceMoose

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:23 - May 24 by PhilTWTD

Wouldn't be unhappy with either of them but I think Hurst's greater experience at a higher level and over a longer period of time gives him the edge. And I would assume he has a better knowledge of the lower divisions/U23 leagues from which he would have to recruit to a large degree.

Is the Barry Fry option dead in the water, Phil?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:25 - May 24 with 3255 viewsKieran_Knows

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:17 - May 24 by PhilTWTD

He probably wouldn't think like that, I agree, but I'm sure if a possible sacking/mutual termination came about, he'd have no problems.

I would imagine it is a mere formality now, probably announced over the weekend once he is back from holiday. Sunderland obviously went to great lengths (without St Mirren's permission) to talk with him/agree terms.

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:25 - May 24 with 3254 viewsdirtyboy

One of the most intruiging manager situations at ITFC for a long time.
Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:25 - May 24 with 3255 viewsSouperJim

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:11 - May 24 by dirtyboy

I do think the timing of this whole thing is all over the place.

I liked Stewart Donald on TalkSport, he seemed nice, but very 'green' in how he came across.

It's clear he came off air and text the name over and it was all over the place in seconds.

What is strange is that Ross is on holiday and would make a decision immediately, knowing that we're likely interested and he may have two offers to choose between on Tuesday (unless we're miles off in terms and conditions).

If SD was so sure yesterday he was hoping to announce JR last night, but it's now half way through the next day, I can't help but think there's more holding this up and that maybe that we've done something to make him think twice about it?

It doesn't matter what he's agreed with Sunderland, until he signs it doesn't mean squat. I suspect he'll wait until he comes back from "holiday" and can see whether there is an offer from us on the table too.

If Sunderland don't announce him today, I would suggest that Ross is holding out to see if we offer him the job here before he decides which contract to sign.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:26 - May 24 with 3248 viewsKieran_Knows

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:25 - May 24 by SouperJim

It doesn't matter what he's agreed with Sunderland, until he signs it doesn't mean squat. I suspect he'll wait until he comes back from "holiday" and can see whether there is an offer from us on the table too.

If Sunderland don't announce him today, I would suggest that Ross is holding out to see if we offer him the job here before he decides which contract to sign.

But if he already knows that we're waiting to speak with Hurst, why would he want to wait and possibly lose out on both jobs (and 5x his current salary)?

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:29 - May 24 with 3230 viewsSpruceMoose

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:26 - May 24 by Kieran_Knows

But if he already knows that we're waiting to speak with Hurst, why would he want to wait and possibly lose out on both jobs (and 5x his current salary)?

It must be fairly clear to Ross that he was never truly number 1 choice here. If he has something concrete from Sunderland, he's not going to put that off, is he? He'll tear their arm off. And rightly so. They've shown more commitment to him than we have.

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:29 - May 24 with 3230 viewsPhilTWTD

Northern Echo reporting that Ross 'talked terms' at town on 14:25 - May 24 by Kieran_Knows

He probably wouldn't think like that, I agree, but I'm sure if a possible sacking/mutual termination came about, he'd have no problems.

I would imagine it is a mere formality now, probably announced over the weekend once he is back from holiday. Sunderland obviously went to great lengths (without St Mirren's permission) to talk with him/agree terms.

I agree with your second paragraph, unless Sunderland's owner has significantly overstated the position. And I think JR would get a decent enough club in Scotland even if Sunderland is a complete disaster for him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024