Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harry Kane 10:13 - May 18 with 22195 viewsHeathlander

Is he world class?
Harry Kane on 09:03 - Jun 25 with 1876 viewschristiand

Harry Kane on 08:14 - Jun 25 by itfcjoe

Kane has scored a bucket load of goals consistently in the PL and has a good goslsvoring record at international level - any club side in the world would want him. He’s clearly world class

Kane has scored a load of goals that is without doubt, but look at what his record was like against the top sides last season alone?

PL top 6 sides 2017-18 (10 games)
Man City - 0
Man Utd - 0 (That's not including the FA Cup semi final defeat which was also 0!)
Liverpool - 3
Chelsea - 0
Arsenal -1

CL Stats against 2017-18 (4 games)
Real Madrid - 0
Juventus - 1
(Dortmund struggled last season, so to classify them as a top CL side would be a stretch, but if I was forced that would be 3 goals over two group games.)

Kane's England record of 26 caps and 18 goals in total is a good one. However, I would argue that there are only two teams that are classified as 'top' international sides that he has score against - France and Germany.

Yes, he has scored copious amounts but could he be quantified as a flat-track bully? When scoring consistently against top sides both at club and international level that's 'World Class' in my eyes. Certainly feel Kane is on the right track and has many terrific attributes to get him there; still need more convincing. Belgium on Thursday will be a good indicator.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2018 9:11]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Harry Kane on 10:10 - Jun 25 with 1830 viewsHerbivore

Harry Kane on 09:03 - Jun 25 by christiand

Kane has scored a load of goals that is without doubt, but look at what his record was like against the top sides last season alone?

PL top 6 sides 2017-18 (10 games)
Man City - 0
Man Utd - 0 (That's not including the FA Cup semi final defeat which was also 0!)
Liverpool - 3
Chelsea - 0
Arsenal -1

CL Stats against 2017-18 (4 games)
Real Madrid - 0
Juventus - 1
(Dortmund struggled last season, so to classify them as a top CL side would be a stretch, but if I was forced that would be 3 goals over two group games.)

Kane's England record of 26 caps and 18 goals in total is a good one. However, I would argue that there are only two teams that are classified as 'top' international sides that he has score against - France and Germany.

Yes, he has scored copious amounts but could he be quantified as a flat-track bully? When scoring consistently against top sides both at club and international level that's 'World Class' in my eyes. Certainly feel Kane is on the right track and has many terrific attributes to get him there; still need more convincing. Belgium on Thursday will be a good indicator.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2018 9:11]

So 8 goals in 16 games against top level opposition at club level (including Dortmund, which I think is reasonable)? I'd say that's pretty good, 1 in 2 is a good return for a striker and 1 in 2 against top opposition is very good. You've kind of argued against yourself there mate.

Edit: And this link shows that across his career he scores at better than 1 in 2 against the top 6: https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/comparing-romelu-lukakus-record-v-big He's got a record of 1 in 2 in Europe as well. I'm not sure what his performance against Belgium will tell us that we don't already know.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2018 10:32]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Harry Kane on 10:38 - Jun 25 with 1812 viewschristiand

Harry Kane on 10:10 - Jun 25 by Herbivore

So 8 goals in 16 games against top level opposition at club level (including Dortmund, which I think is reasonable)? I'd say that's pretty good, 1 in 2 is a good return for a striker and 1 in 2 against top opposition is very good. You've kind of argued against yourself there mate.

Edit: And this link shows that across his career he scores at better than 1 in 2 against the top 6: https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/comparing-romelu-lukakus-record-v-big He's got a record of 1 in 2 in Europe as well. I'm not sure what his performance against Belgium will tell us that we don't already know.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2018 10:32]

Yes, if you add the 3 Dortmund goals it does look much better, but you and I both know the real stat is 5 goals in 16 games against 'top' opposition, which looks a lot different. Therefore, this equates to a goal every three games+. Not sure if you want to include the semi final result against Manchester United too Herbivore, you seem to have casually forgotten that one on your reply? I know how you appreciate the use of statistics for use of debate.

Interestingly, from your link: 'Vardy’s scoring rate versus the big six (0.51 goals per game) is almost identical to that of Kane.' So Vardy is world class too? Surely, he plays for a lesser a side in Leicester City which is even more impressive.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Harry Kane to be world class just think he still has more to prove against the better sides. However, if he carries on the way he has started I'd happily agree with your assessment Herbivore come the end of this World Cup.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2018 10:47]

Harry Kane on 10:40 - Jun 25 with 1808 viewsBueller

Harry Kane on 08:46 - Jun 25 by shoopdelang

Well put.

Harry Kane 2009—present
Tottenham Hotspur
153Apps
108 goals

This is for Tottenham. Not a European heavyweight. That record is incredible.

I think it is an awesome record especially in the prem. Look at players like Falcao who were deemed world class, then came to play in england and scored 5 goals in 2 years whilst at United and Chelsea. It is a tough league to play in

Prem golden boot winner two seasons running and then 2 short of Salah last season. Currently top goal scorer in the WC regardless of opposition. I struggle to see how people are saying he is not world class.
Harry Kane on 10:43 - Jun 25 with 1803 viewsGlasgowBlue

He has the potential to be.

I dint think you can call any player World Class until he has played at the highest level and put in the same consistent performances for at least five years.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Harry Kane on 12:23 - Jun 25 with 1765 viewsHerbivore

Harry Kane on 10:38 - Jun 25 by christiand

Yes, if you add the 3 Dortmund goals it does look much better, but you and I both know the real stat is 5 goals in 16 games against 'top' opposition, which looks a lot different. Therefore, this equates to a goal every three games+. Not sure if you want to include the semi final result against Manchester United too Herbivore, you seem to have casually forgotten that one on your reply? I know how you appreciate the use of statistics for use of debate.

Interestingly, from your link: 'Vardy’s scoring rate versus the big six (0.51 goals per game) is almost identical to that of Kane.' So Vardy is world class too? Surely, he plays for a lesser a side in Leicester City which is even more impressive.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Harry Kane to be world class just think he still has more to prove against the better sides. However, if he carries on the way he has started I'd happily agree with your assessment Herbivore come the end of this World Cup.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2018 10:47]

I like that you've taken away his 3 goals against Dortmund but still included the two games against them in your figures!

Kane's record speaks for itself, better than 1 in 2 against the top 6, 1 in 2 in Europe and better than 1 in 2 for England and overall across his career. Those are great figures, nobody scored more goals than Kane in 2017. It's hard to argue that he's not a world class striker.

Harry Kane on 13:54 - Jun 25 with 1717 viewschristiand

Harry Kane on 12:23 - Jun 25 by Herbivore

I like that you've taken away his 3 goals against Dortmund but still included the two games against them in your figures!

Kane's record speaks for itself, better than 1 in 2 against the top 6, 1 in 2 in Europe and better than 1 in 2 for England and overall across his career. Those are great figures, nobody scored more goals than Kane in 2017. It's hard to argue that he's not a world class striker.

Yes, good point and duly noted. However with that oversight amended, that’s still 14 games against top sides at home in the EPL and in the CL, Kane scores 5 which equates to 0.35 (not including the United FA Cup semi final defeat which then is 15 games, scores 5 equates to a goal every 3 games). I see you’ve gone quiet with the Vardy comparison similiar conversion rate against top 6 sides in his career in the EPL to Kane? The fact Vardy plays for Leicester City and not Spurs makes it even more intriguing.

Agree with you, Kane’s overall figures look great; as his stats have shown both last season and for his England career to date he’s not done it regularly enough against the best sides with the best defences. He fills his boots against the lesser teams which makes his ratio of goals to games appear so decent. I’ll happily eat my own words if he then scores against: Belgium, Mexico, Germany, Brazil and Spain etc.. I’ll even admit you’re right Herbivore, and you’ll know that’ll be tough for me to accept!
[Post edited 25 Jun 2018 16:05]

Harry Kane (n/t) on 18:51 - Jun 25 with 1663 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Login to get fewer ads

Harry Kane on 18:58 - Jun 25 with 1660 viewsTerry_Nutkins

This is right up there as the most ridiculous debate on here. How is this even a debate. He is THE most sort after striker in the World. Anyone seen some of the press talking about him in other countries!? Everyone wants him to be from their country. Germany were raving about him to the effect of "If only we had Kane". Umm they ARE the World Champions. Not only is he World Class he is arguably THE best striker in the World. It's not even a debate for other countries fans looking in. Honestly its bizarre. Read an argument above adjusting some stats to fit an argument by removing Borussia Dortmund Goals as they aren't proper good. What!? Very good side. Honestly his record is insane at every level and we have to debate this? Every thing is a bit subjective in football but this is about as concrete a answer as its possible to have in football. Yes he is a World Class striker. Obviously. Lets move on to the next tricky one: is De Gea any good in goal? He did make 1 mistake recently.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Harry Kane on 18:58 - Jun 25 with 1657 viewsHerbivore

Harry Kane on 13:54 - Jun 25 by christiand

Yes, good point and duly noted. However with that oversight amended, that’s still 14 games against top sides at home in the EPL and in the CL, Kane scores 5 which equates to 0.35 (not including the United FA Cup semi final defeat which then is 15 games, scores 5 equates to a goal every 3 games). I see you’ve gone quiet with the Vardy comparison similiar conversion rate against top 6 sides in his career in the EPL to Kane? The fact Vardy plays for Leicester City and not Spurs makes it even more intriguing.

Agree with you, Kane’s overall figures look great; as his stats have shown both last season and for his England career to date he’s not done it regularly enough against the best sides with the best defences. He fills his boots against the lesser teams which makes his ratio of goals to games appear so decent. I’ll happily eat my own words if he then scores against: Belgium, Mexico, Germany, Brazil and Spain etc.. I’ll even admit you’re right Herbivore, and you’ll know that’ll be tough for me to accept!
[Post edited 25 Jun 2018 16:05]

Vardy is a good striker but his record in Europe and for England doesn't compare to Kane's. His figures may also be skewed by his golden season whereas Kane has done very well consistently over a few years now. When taken over his career he averages over 1 in 2 against the top 6, well over 1 in 2 at international level, and 1 in 2 in Europe. He scored more goals than any other player in the world in 2017, including Ronaldo and Messi. That's massively impressive and makes him world class.

Harry Kane on 19:08 - Jun 25 with 1652 viewsAce_High1

Yes he is. If he was any other nationality we would be swooning over him and saying how much we wish we had a player like that for England.

I would like to see him go to Real Madrid and see him push on.
Harry Kane on 20:12 - Jun 25 with 1632 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Ronaldo no longer is then!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024