Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? 14:03 - May 14 with 7814 viewsbenno1uk

I don't want to put the dampers on the excitement over Jack Ross potentially gertting the job, but how many have actually seen his side play?

He talks intelligently about the game on camera so I'd thought I'd check out his side on Youtube. This is what I found. It's hardly total football...

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 16:10 - May 14 with 2398 viewsm14_blue

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 15:33 - May 14 by Madball

Saints fan here and I offer up this as an example of what a Jack Ross side is capable of. First goal by Cammy Smith was re tweeted by Barcelona

Very nice indeed

What's the word up there, is he coming to Suffolk do you think?
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 16:42 - May 14 with 2369 viewsbenno1uk

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 15:14 - May 14 by Herbivore

Seriously, Danny, let it go. Town fans don't want you here.

Seriously though, what are you hoping to achieve? You've posted highlights from one game played on a pretty terrible pitch in which two of the three St Mirren goals were quite nicely worked. Was it champagne football? No, but there was decent passing and movement in the final third on what was a stinker of a surface. Not much wrong with that and it's a sample size of one game against the St Mirren fans consensus view that he plays good, attacking football consistently. The Cowleys don't I've seen them a few times and they aren't just direct they are utterly agricultural. Their teams cheat, the gamesmanship is quite shocking. There's a massive difference between their ethos and Jack Ross's, highlights from one game that really aren't that bad are not evidence that his style is somehow similar to the wretched Cowleys.

What am I trying to achieve? Nothing other than to show an example of the football under Jack Ross. I have seen the videos of him talking on Youtube and was very impressed with the way he spoke about the game. Then I saw extended highlights of a game (admittedly one game) and was not that impressed.

It shows how people can get wrapped up in wanting something without actually knowing what excatly it is that they are going to get. Nothing more, nothing less.
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 16:46 - May 14 with 2364 viewshomer_123

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:48 - May 14 by Archer4721

I've seen Colchester play better football than that.

I've seen us play better football than that this season to be honest.

However, it's one game, in isolation. I'll not read too much into it.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 16:48 - May 14 with 2364 viewsVic

Benninger, take a look at the interview with him on YouTube. It’s split into 2, called Ross on Tactics. He outlines there his philosophy, style and pragmatism. Explains that he likes pace, energy and including young players.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 16:53 - May 14 with 2354 viewsbenno1uk

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 16:48 - May 14 by Vic

Benninger, take a look at the interview with him on YouTube. It’s split into 2, called Ross on Tactics. He outlines there his philosophy, style and pragmatism. Explains that he likes pace, energy and including young players.

That's what I mean Vic, the two don't seem to tally up. But as I say I have not seen any of St Mirren's football (apart from the clip I posted) so could just be a one off, but it did seem very direct, even long ball from what I saw.

Anyway - that's enough - I really want him to be great if he comes here. We need it!
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 16:54 - May 14 with 2352 viewsMadball

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 16:10 - May 14 by m14_blue

Very nice indeed

What's the word up there, is he coming to Suffolk do you think?

General view is that if offered the job he will take it. He has the potential to be very very good and, no disrespect to Ipswich, given his ambitions he will view an appointment there as a stepping stone to another level.

Gutting for us as is a class apart from any manager we've had in the last few years, indeed he is actually the best I can remember in my lifetime. The football is generally great, he cares about the club, he's got a brilliant relationship with the fans, and totally galvanised the club (have a hunt through some of the @stmirrenactive twitter posts back in April 14th onwards to see his speeches at some of the various POTY events). His great escape last season from relegation is stuff of legend.

He cleared out deadwood from the previous deadbeat of a manager, brought in players he trusted and others who he felt he could work with, improved those that stayed no end. He's developed youth at the club and made much better when they looked poor and nervous under previous. He's made money on player moves, Kyle McAllister to Derby, Stephen Mallan to Barnsley, and Lewis Morgan to Celtic.

He's an articulate well educated guy and builds relationships with others. The fact that he won the SPFA Manager of the Year award, over a treble chasing Brendan Rodgers and Steve Clarke who has re-invigorated Kilmarnock, by votes from other managers shows his stock up here.
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 16:54 - May 14 with 2351 viewsVic

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 16:42 - May 14 by benno1uk

What am I trying to achieve? Nothing other than to show an example of the football under Jack Ross. I have seen the videos of him talking on Youtube and was very impressed with the way he spoke about the game. Then I saw extended highlights of a game (admittedly one game) and was not that impressed.

It shows how people can get wrapped up in wanting something without actually knowing what excatly it is that they are going to get. Nothing more, nothing less.

He’s on record as saying that on good pitches he likes his teams to pass, but when the pitches are bad, as they are bound to be in Scotland from time to time, you can’t do that and have to adapt accordingly.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 17:08 - May 14 with 2335 viewshomer_123

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 16:54 - May 14 by Madball

General view is that if offered the job he will take it. He has the potential to be very very good and, no disrespect to Ipswich, given his ambitions he will view an appointment there as a stepping stone to another level.

Gutting for us as is a class apart from any manager we've had in the last few years, indeed he is actually the best I can remember in my lifetime. The football is generally great, he cares about the club, he's got a brilliant relationship with the fans, and totally galvanised the club (have a hunt through some of the @stmirrenactive twitter posts back in April 14th onwards to see his speeches at some of the various POTY events). His great escape last season from relegation is stuff of legend.

He cleared out deadwood from the previous deadbeat of a manager, brought in players he trusted and others who he felt he could work with, improved those that stayed no end. He's developed youth at the club and made much better when they looked poor and nervous under previous. He's made money on player moves, Kyle McAllister to Derby, Stephen Mallan to Barnsley, and Lewis Morgan to Celtic.

He's an articulate well educated guy and builds relationships with others. The fact that he won the SPFA Manager of the Year award, over a treble chasing Brendan Rodgers and Steve Clarke who has re-invigorated Kilmarnock, by votes from other managers shows his stock up here.

'...he will view an appointment there as a stepping stone to another level'

No problems with that to be honest. If he joins and if he delivers half of what he's done for you here, I'd say it's a win win situ.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 17:12 - May 14 with 2325 viewsKropotkin123

Just wanted to say that I really appreciate all of your fans who have come on here and given your views on JR. Really appreciated and shows your club in excellent light. Thanks

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 17:15 - May 14 with 2323 viewsSuperfrans

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 16:54 - May 14 by Vic

He’s on record as saying that on good pitches he likes his teams to pass, but when the pitches are bad, as they are bound to be in Scotland from time to time, you can’t do that and have to adapt accordingly.

Didn't that tactics interview also say that St Mirren have high stats for dribbles and efforts on goal, rather than necessary being high on passing stats? His philisophy is centred around having a fluid team of players, rotating positions and roles too.

All teams play the long ball occasionally. Whatever manager we bring in, that will be the case.

Slavishly adhering to short passing, from the most defensive quarter to the most advanced, results in the kind of football which got Stam the sack and Farke a lovely lower mid-table league position. Below us.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 17:36 - May 14 with 2290 viewsHerbivore

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 16:53 - May 14 by benno1uk

That's what I mean Vic, the two don't seem to tally up. But as I say I have not seen any of St Mirren's football (apart from the clip I posted) so could just be a one off, but it did seem very direct, even long ball from what I saw.

Anyway - that's enough - I really want him to be great if he comes here. We need it!

Long ball? There were some clearance from the back, on a terrible pitch, but goals one and three were nicely worked with good movement. You're seeing what you want to see, and have conveniently ignored the other highlights posted on this thread, because you have some sort of weird man crush on Danny Cowley and seem genuinely upset that others prefer a candidate who doesn't make John Beck look like Pep Guardiola.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 17:44 - May 14 with 2272 viewsPJH

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 17:36 - May 14 by Herbivore

Long ball? There were some clearance from the back, on a terrible pitch, but goals one and three were nicely worked with good movement. You're seeing what you want to see, and have conveniently ignored the other highlights posted on this thread, because you have some sort of weird man crush on Danny Cowley and seem genuinely upset that others prefer a candidate who doesn't make John Beck look like Pep Guardiola.

I doubt if many on here would have heard of Danny Cowley even now if we had not come across him and his team last season.
Their performance against Exeter made them look like a sunday morning pub league team-they even have their own sunday morning pub league centre forward.

I hope that that does not cause any offence to any sunday morning pub league players, particularly centre forwards.
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 17:57 - May 14 with 2252 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

There is no team bar Manchester City and Napoli who are playing ‘total football’. Even Madrid and bacrelona have adopted different styles this year. It’s the mentality that needs to change in the club, we’re so back foot before the game even kicks off that there is no belief in themselves from the players, never allowing them to express themselves.
Total football constantly will not Work a championship. There has to be a balance, something MM got wrong. The thing I like about Jack Ross is his emphasis on players expressing themselves in the final third. That is where we will see the best out of Waghorn, Bishop, Huws, Dozzell, Garner, Ward.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 18:14 - May 14 with 2233 viewsm14_blue

Really interesting, thanks.

I'm increasingly keen on the idea.
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 18:24 - May 14 with 2221 viewswkj

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:12 - May 14 by SpruceMoose

If Stam is appointed I'll personally scrub Benters Butts. Never going to happen.

Steady on mate, the 2nd leg to the play off is tonight

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 19:40 - May 14 with 2176 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:06 - May 14 by SpruceMoose

I personally feel like the views of the fans who watch the team every week should be given a little more credence than one 13 minute clip.

They seem pretty happy with what the team has been serving up.

Yes but they are Scottish
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024