Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? 14:03 - May 14 with 7783 viewsbenno1uk

I don't want to put the dampers on the excitement over Jack Ross potentially gertting the job, but how many have actually seen his side play?

He talks intelligently about the game on camera so I'd thought I'd check out his side on Youtube. This is what I found. It's hardly total football...

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:04 - May 14 with 5369 viewshype313

How many clubs bar City are playing total football?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:06 - May 14 with 5358 viewsSpruceMoose

I personally feel like the views of the fans who watch the team every week should be given a little more credence than one 13 minute clip.

They seem pretty happy with what the team has been serving up.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:11 - May 14 with 5321 viewsbenno1uk

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:06 - May 14 by SpruceMoose

I personally feel like the views of the fans who watch the team every week should be given a little more credence than one 13 minute clip.

They seem pretty happy with what the team has been serving up.

Agreed but just wondered what his team played like. I know ME specifically mentioned having a 'philosophy' and playing out from the back. I didn't see much playing out from the back in the clip. Just saying - I think others could still be in with a shout. Stam for example.
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:12 - May 14 with 5294 viewsSpruceMoose

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:11 - May 14 by benno1uk

Agreed but just wondered what his team played like. I know ME specifically mentioned having a 'philosophy' and playing out from the back. I didn't see much playing out from the back in the clip. Just saying - I think others could still be in with a shout. Stam for example.

If Stam is appointed I'll personally scrub Benters Butts. Never going to happen.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:20 - May 14 with 5268 viewssundaze

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:12 - May 14 by SpruceMoose

If Stam is appointed I'll personally scrub Benters Butts. Never going to happen.

I had to read that twice. I was really hoping you were going to wash Benters Butt. Shame you put the "s" on the end of it.
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:24 - May 14 with 5239 viewsSpruceMoose

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:20 - May 14 by sundaze

I had to read that twice. I was really hoping you were going to wash Benters Butt. Shame you put the "s" on the end of it.

That was actually a typo.

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:29 - May 14 with 5218 viewssundaze

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:24 - May 14 by SpruceMoose

That was actually a typo.

There are so many variations if you remove or replace the odd letter in that statement. I really need to stop thinking about it, I am starting to feel ill.
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:32 - May 14 with 5205 viewshomer_123

Given our esteemed owner isn't going to change the way the club is currently financed. Ross, like any option, would have to work within a stringent budget but deliver more than Mick.

I reckon any sensible person would look at us and think, how do I achieve that on a budget? I'm pretty sure 'total football' isn't a viable option for us under these circumstances.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:44 - May 14 with 5150 viewsbenno1uk

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:32 - May 14 by homer_123

Given our esteemed owner isn't going to change the way the club is currently financed. Ross, like any option, would have to work within a stringent budget but deliver more than Mick.

I reckon any sensible person would look at us and think, how do I achieve that on a budget? I'm pretty sure 'total football' isn't a viable option for us under these circumstances.

Apologies. I used the term 'total football' as an extreme example to make a point - it wasn't meant to be taken literally. But the general consensus is that we would not accept a direct style of play (e.g. the Cowleys). However it appears that Jack Ross's St Mirren, on the little evidence I have seen, play fairly direct football.

Sorry if that offends anyone.
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:48 - May 14 with 5109 viewsArcher4721

I've seen Colchester play better football than that.
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:48 - May 14 with 5115 viewsblueislander

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:44 - May 14 by benno1uk

Apologies. I used the term 'total football' as an extreme example to make a point - it wasn't meant to be taken literally. But the general consensus is that we would not accept a direct style of play (e.g. the Cowleys). However it appears that Jack Ross's St Mirren, on the little evidence I have seen, play fairly direct football.

There is a huge difference between "direct style of play" and Hoofball. I watched a bit of the Lincoln match this weekend. It was indeed painful to watch.
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:53 - May 14 with 5085 viewsbenno1uk

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:48 - May 14 by blueislander

There is a huge difference between "direct style of play" and Hoofball. I watched a bit of the Lincoln match this weekend. It was indeed painful to watch.

Again I agree. But I wonder if what the supporters of St Mirren perceive as fluid Football is in comparison to what the rest of the teams in their division. They might think John Beck was like Guardiola. (That’s not meant literally - just to point out).
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:55 - May 14 with 5078 viewshomer_123

Not offended!

I'd suggest that, as much as fans might 'want' to see more expansive football, if that resulted in sitting below 15th or even in the relegation spot, then I don't think many would wait long before being vociferous in their feelings.

I've no issue with 'direct' football at all - I, like many, wouldn't mind a bit of passing and moving though but, at the end of the day, the only person it matters to is Evans and what he wants. He 'needs' promotion. If Ross or the Cowleys deliver that Wimbledon style then he won't give two hoots. And to be fair, not many of us would either. The reason most want more football is because we're sitting mid-table....again. Had we been in the play-offs playing this way....Mick would still be here.

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:55 - May 14 with 5072 viewsArcher4721

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:53 - May 14 by benno1uk

Again I agree. But I wonder if what the supporters of St Mirren perceive as fluid Football is in comparison to what the rest of the teams in their division. They might think John Beck was like Guardiola. (That’s not meant literally - just to point out).

Looking at that,the standard of football is similar to Conference league.
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:58 - May 14 with 5043 viewshomer_123

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:53 - May 14 by benno1uk

I suspect, St. Mirren fans are like most football fans. If the results are coming, they are less concerned about the style in which those results are delivered.

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 15:02 - May 14 with 5027 viewsblueislander

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:55 - May 14 by Archer4721

Wow ! That is quite a conclusion to come to based on that. I watched some the play-off match between Lincoln and Exeter, and it looked like Sunday morning pub league, but I doubt that it was entirely typical of League 1.
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 15:04 - May 14 with 5012 viewsArcher4721

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 15:02 - May 14 by blueislander

Wow ! That is quite a conclusion to come to based on that. I watched some the play-off match between Lincoln and Exeter, and it looked like Sunday morning pub league, but I doubt that it was entirely typical of League 1.

Lincoln and Exeter are in league 2 (the old 4th division)
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 15:09 - May 14 with 4990 viewsdirtyboy

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:55 - May 14 by Archer4721

the standard of football on display is largely dictated by the quality of the players.

I'm guessing, but St Mirren players probably aren't getting anywhere near what Ipswich players get, so you're not going to get the same quality of player.

No point asking your wide midfielder to spray a 50 yard diagonal if they aren't capable of doing it.

Likewise, you don't want your centre half playing the ball out from the back if firstly their control isn't great as you're leaving yourself open to a whole host of issues.

That's what managers do, manage with what they have and get the best out of it.

I work with a complete thicko...I didn't hire them, but I don't ask her to find legislation that we can interpet differently....I ask her to make the teas and add sh*t up (with a calculator...even then she's f*****g dangerous) but I'm getting the best I can out of her dumb ass.
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 15:10 - May 14 with 4979 viewsblueislander

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 15:04 - May 14 by Archer4721

Lincoln and Exeter are in league 2 (the old 4th division)

Was that the sound of hairs splitting I heard?
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 15:10 - May 14 with 4978 viewshomer_123

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 15:09 - May 14 by dirtyboy

the standard of football on display is largely dictated by the quality of the players.

I'm guessing, but St Mirren players probably aren't getting anywhere near what Ipswich players get, so you're not going to get the same quality of player.

No point asking your wide midfielder to spray a 50 yard diagonal if they aren't capable of doing it.

Likewise, you don't want your centre half playing the ball out from the back if firstly their control isn't great as you're leaving yourself open to a whole host of issues.

That's what managers do, manage with what they have and get the best out of it.

I work with a complete thicko...I didn't hire them, but I don't ask her to find legislation that we can interpet differently....I ask her to make the teas and add sh*t up (with a calculator...even then she's f*****g dangerous) but I'm getting the best I can out of her dumb ass.

Which leads to my point above about Ross having to work out what he can do, given Evans approach to financing the Club.

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 15:14 - May 14 with 4960 viewsHerbivore

Seriously, Danny, let it go. Town fans don't want you here.

Seriously though, what are you hoping to achieve? You've posted highlights from one game played on a pretty terrible pitch in which two of the three St Mirren goals were quite nicely worked. Was it champagne football? No, but there was decent passing and movement in the final third on what was a stinker of a surface. Not much wrong with that and it's a sample size of one game against the St Mirren fans consensus view that he plays good, attacking football consistently. The Cowleys don't I've seen them a few times and they aren't just direct they are utterly agricultural. Their teams cheat, the gamesmanship is quite shocking. There's a massive difference between their ethos and Jack Ross's, highlights from one game that really aren't that bad are not evidence that his style is somehow similar to the wretched Cowleys.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 15:14 - May 14 with 4953 viewsArcher4721

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 15:10 - May 14 by blueislander

Was that the sound of hairs splitting I heard?

Not really . There's little between the top conference sides and Div 2 two teams. There's a lot of difference between Div 1 and Div 2 teams.

I'd certainly back say Lincoln to beat St Mirren.
Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 15:15 - May 14 with 4949 viewsmonty_radio

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 14:58 - May 14 by homer_123

I suspect, St. Mirren fans are like most football fans. If the results are coming, they are less concerned about the style in which those results are delivered.

And yet, if we were to go up "Wimbledon style" as you reference, we would be totally unprepared for the onslaught to come these days. Cardiff may be about to discover that.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 15:19 - May 14 with 4925 viewshomer_123

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 15:15 - May 14 by monty_radio

And yet, if we were to go up "Wimbledon style" as you reference, we would be totally unprepared for the onslaught to come these days. Cardiff may be about to discover that.

Irrelevant from Evans perspective though - as the only thing he'd be looking to do is offload.

EDIT: I agree with you by the way.
[Post edited 14 May 2018 15:19]

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 15:33 - May 14 with 4890 viewsMadball

Has anyone seen St Mirren play? on 15:14 - May 14 by Herbivore

Seriously, Danny, let it go. Town fans don't want you here.

Seriously though, what are you hoping to achieve? You've posted highlights from one game played on a pretty terrible pitch in which two of the three St Mirren goals were quite nicely worked. Was it champagne football? No, but there was decent passing and movement in the final third on what was a stinker of a surface. Not much wrong with that and it's a sample size of one game against the St Mirren fans consensus view that he plays good, attacking football consistently. The Cowleys don't I've seen them a few times and they aren't just direct they are utterly agricultural. Their teams cheat, the gamesmanship is quite shocking. There's a massive difference between their ethos and Jack Ross's, highlights from one game that really aren't that bad are not evidence that his style is somehow similar to the wretched Cowleys.

Saints fan here and I offer up this as an example of what a Jack Ross side is capable of. First goal by Cammy Smith was re tweeted by Barcelona

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024