Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That poor 78 yr old pensioner 14:27 - Apr 4 with 11420 viewsoneonmyknee

who caught two bits of scum trying to burgle his house

arrested for murder
That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 14:33 - Apr 4 with 5695 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sends out a great message that does. Sometimes the law really is an arse.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 14:34 - Apr 4 with 5679 viewsoneonmyknee

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 14:33 - Apr 4 by Swansea_Blue

Sends out a great message that does. Sometimes the law really is an arse.

Poor old boy must have been sh1tting himself
That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 14:40 - Apr 4 with 5652 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I would reserve judgement until more facts are known.

On the face of it, the headline seems like he has been treated unjustly.

Brings back memories of Tony Martin and that was certainly far from straightforward. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)

Unless there are some circumstances not yet reported I suspect this one will not lead to a prosecution.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 14:44 - Apr 4 with 5616 viewsRadlett_blue

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 14:40 - Apr 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

Brings back memories of Tony Martin and that was certainly far from straightforward. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)

Unless there are some circumstances not yet reported I suspect this one will not lead to a prosecution.

Exactly. One of the burglars has been killed, so the police have a duty to investigate & decide if he was justifiably killed or not. The CPS will decide if there is a case to answer; ultimately, was it "proportionate force"?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 14:45 - Apr 4 with 5607 viewsDarth_Koont

Isn't that standard practice even if it looks for all the world like it's self-defence?

They can't just ignore someone was killed and assume it went down a certain way.

Pronouns: He/Him

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 14:48 - Apr 4 with 5584 viewstheblueginger

The TM case was at least on the face of it far cloudier than this one@:

1) TM possessed a firearm he had no licence for. He past meant he would have been unlikely to have been granted one.
2) He shot at the guys as they were fleeing from him if i remember correctly
3) He had been burgled a few times before by members of the same Irish traveler community. This was used both in his defence and against him, on the one hand the Police hadn't done much to help but on the other the implication was TM had armed himself with the intention of getting retribution.

In this case i would be shocked if it goes as far as a trial. Say what you like about the US, but their self-defence laws do have some common sense applied to them.

Edit: didn't notice the link-my apologies for saying much of what wiki says.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 14:49]
That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:04 - Apr 4 with 5505 viewsfactual_blue

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 14:45 - Apr 4 by Darth_Koont

Isn't that standard practice even if it looks for all the world like it's self-defence?

They can't just ignore someone was killed and assume it went down a certain way.

Is oneovermytaxi related to Tony Martin?

He sounds as though he is.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:09 - Apr 4 with 5478 viewsNthsuffolkblue

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 14:48 - Apr 4 by theblueginger

1) TM possessed a firearm he had no licence for. He past meant he would have been unlikely to have been granted one.
3) He had been burgled a few times before by members of the same Irish traveler community. This was used both in his defence and against him, on the one hand the Police hadn't done much to help but on the other the implication was TM had armed himself with the intention of getting retribution.

In this case i would be shocked if it goes as far as a trial. Say what you like about the US, but their self-defence laws do have some common sense applied to them.

Plus, how do you know it is more complicated?

There may well be many unreported facts in this case.

Login to get fewer ads

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:10 - Apr 4 with 5473 viewsfactual_blue

From what I gather TM 'executed' the burglar, first disabling him with a shot to the knee, and then in the back.

Of course a shot in the back makes a claim of self-defence rather tricky, as indeed does shooting somebody at all.

TM was, I understand, told by police officers how to word his statement but wanted to play the martyr.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:11 - Apr 4 with 5465 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 14:48 - Apr 4 by theblueginger

The police told Tony Martin what to say and he ignored their advice and was stupidly honest.

He didn’t need to do to prison
That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:13 - Apr 4 with 5463 viewsIllinoisblue

absolute travesty if the homeowner is convicted of anything. The UK needs a Stand Your Ground law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand-your-ground_law

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:18 - Apr 4 with 5428 viewsSpruceMoose

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:13 - Apr 4 by Illinoisblue

absolute travesty if the homeowner is convicted of anything. The UK needs a Stand Your Ground law.

Well, before I say yay or nay, I'd like to know how many UK homeowners are currently languishing in prison for killing home invaders. That'll help me decide if I think is needed or not.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:21 - Apr 4 with 5419 viewsNthsuffolkblue

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:10 - Apr 4 by factual_blue

From what I gather TM 'executed' the burglar, first disabling him with a shot to the knee, and then in the back.

Of course a shot in the back makes a claim of self-defence rather tricky, as indeed does shooting somebody at all.

TM was, I understand, told by police officers how to word his statement but wanted to play the martyr.

Indeed. Overall, from what is in the public domain he sounds rather like a mentally ill right wing extremist who wanted sympathy to the point that the law was changed so that the rights of someone trespassing just did not exist at all.

This may have been affected by his previous dealings with being burgled too.

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:26 - Apr 4 with 5366 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:21 - Apr 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

Indeed. Overall, from what is in the public domain he sounds rather like a mentally ill right wing extremist who wanted sympathy to the point that the law was changed so that the rights of someone trespassing just did not exist at all.

This may have been affected by his previous dealings with being burgled too.

I thought he was being constantly terrorised and lived in fear?

That’s hardly the same as someone walking up your driveway uninvited
That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:27 - Apr 4 with 5365 viewsIllinoisblue

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:18 - Apr 4 by SpruceMoose

Well, before I say yay or nay, I'd like to know how many UK homeowners are currently languishing in prison for killing home invaders. That'll help me decide if I think is needed or not.

if it was already in place, this 78-year-old chap would be at home right now enjoying a cuppa and watching Cash in the Attic.

62 - 78 - 81

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:31 - Apr 4 with 5331 viewsSpruceMoose

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:27 - Apr 4 by Illinoisblue

if it was already in place, this 78-year-old chap would be at home right now enjoying a cuppa and watching Cash in the Attic.

As unfortunate as that is, something like your suggestion is really not required. The UK really doesn't need to be anymore like the US that it already is.

Killing a person always needs to be investigated properly. Due process is important. People are so quick to want to see their rights thrown away these days.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:50 - Apr 4 with 5253 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Are you perchance pro relaxed gun laws too?

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:52 - Apr 4 with 5246 viewsIllinoisblue

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:50 - Apr 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

Are you perchance pro relaxed gun laws too?

not at all, quite the opposite in fact. I just think if your home is invaded by an armed thug you should have absolute freedom to do whatever is necessary to defend yourself, your family, your property.

62 - 78 - 81

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:53 - Apr 4 with 5233 viewsClapham_Junction

The article says that we do:

"The common law jurisdiction of England and Wales has a stand-your-ground law rooted in the common law defence of using reasonable force in self-defence."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand-your-ground_law#England_and_Wales
That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:53 - Apr 4 with 5221 viewsSpruceMoose

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:52 - Apr 4 by Illinoisblue

not at all, quite the opposite in fact. I just think if your home is invaded by an armed thug you should have absolute freedom to do whatever is necessary to defend yourself, your family, your property.

You already do. It's just needs to be investigated afterwards, that's all.

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:56 - Apr 4 with 5208 viewsNthsuffolkblue

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:52 - Apr 4 by Illinoisblue

As indeed do most right-minded people.

Knee-capping and shooting someone in the back as they attempt to leave would not fall into most people's category of self-defence.

This country already has reasonable laws of self-defence.

As I stated earlier, either there will be more facts to this than have been revealed (they should not be until a court case is heard) or I doubt any prosecution will occur.

If someone kills an intruder in their own home and is then happy to sit with their feet up enjoying a cuppa I suspect they should be investigated. From my limited experience, being absent in the event of your home being invaded is traumatising enough.

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:58 - Apr 4 with 5180 viewsIllinoisblue

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:56 - Apr 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

As indeed do most right-minded people.

Knee-capping and shooting someone in the back as they attempt to leave would not fall into most people's category of self-defence.

This country already has reasonable laws of self-defence.

As I stated earlier, either there will be more facts to this than have been revealed (they should not be until a court case is heard) or I doubt any prosecution will occur.

If someone kills an intruder in their own home and is then happy to sit with their feet up enjoying a cuppa I suspect they should be investigated. From my limited experience, being absent in the event of your home being invaded is traumatising enough.

Tony Martin was a little exuberant, yes.

62 - 78 - 81

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:59 - Apr 4 with 5170 viewsSpruceMoose

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:53 - Apr 4 by Clapham_Junction

The article says that we do:

"The common law jurisdiction of England and Wales has a stand-your-ground law rooted in the common law defence of using reasonable force in self-defence."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand-your-ground_law#England_and_Wales

Which is exactly why I asked how many UK homeowners are sitting in prison for killing home invaders.

You are already quite enabled to defend yourself, your family and your home. There's no need for some free for all law.

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 16:04 - Apr 4 with 5146 viewsGlasgowBlue

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 15:58 - Apr 4 by Illinoisblue

Tony Martin was a little exuberant, yes.

How many times was Tony Martin burgled before the shooting? How many times has Tony Martin been burgled since the shooting?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 16:05 - Apr 4 with 5141 viewsNthsuffolkblue

That poor 78 yr old pensioner on 16:04 - Apr 4 by GlasgowBlue

How many times was Tony Martin burgled before the shooting? How many times has Tony Martin been burgled since the shooting?

How long has he spent living in the same tumble-down, poorly secured property since his release from prison?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024