Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I didn't realise how bad our goalscoring record was since Christmas 11:35 - Mar 20 with 1647 viewsFinidiCentenary

If you include the Wolves game two days before then the record reads:

Played 17, Scored 10 (0.58 goals per game)

9 games we have failed to score, leaving 8 matches we have scored in. 1 goal in 8 games and only 2 matches in those 17 where we've netted twice (Sheffield Wednesday and Sunderland).

Before that:

Played 24, Scored 41 (1.71 goal per game)

So before the Wolves home game on 23 December, we'd averaged THREE times as many goals per game as we have since.

Someone posted something the other day showing we got more points per game in the first half of every MM season than in the second. Is this simply him being more cautious in the second half of the season when the games are running out?

One season can be down to form and players losing form (for example Murphy in 2014/15 had a dip) but surely not every season?

If this form were to continue, we'd be looking at 4 games of the last 8 where we don't score and 5 goals in total in those 8 matches. It would mean we are likely to take another 8 points from the 24 available.

15th here we come!
[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 11:36]

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

I didn't realise how bad our goalscoring record was since Christmas on 12:15 - Mar 20 with 1545 viewstextbackup

I’ve said this previously, and stand by it 100%, we are terrible at keeping the ball, which means more often than not we are chasing the ball/opposition, our players can’t be expected to maintain such physical demands for 30-46 games a season... hence so many injuries. It’s no coincidence.

We train as we play, blood and thunder, it simply isn’t physical possible to maintain over a season.

Now maybe, the old saying, let the ball do the hard work...

Because we don’t keep the ball we chase, we get tired, over a season that shows (over 5 seasons it’s showed)

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I didn't realise how bad our goalscoring record was since Christmas on 13:21 - Mar 20 with 1466 viewsGuthrum

I didn't realise how bad our goalscoring record was since Christmas on 12:15 - Mar 20 by textbackup

I’ve said this previously, and stand by it 100%, we are terrible at keeping the ball, which means more often than not we are chasing the ball/opposition, our players can’t be expected to maintain such physical demands for 30-46 games a season... hence so many injuries. It’s no coincidence.

We train as we play, blood and thunder, it simply isn’t physical possible to maintain over a season.

Now maybe, the old saying, let the ball do the hard work...

Because we don’t keep the ball we chase, we get tired, over a season that shows (over 5 seasons it’s showed)

Among the biggest problems we have on the pitch are:

Players getting the ball facing our own end, thus having to run in that direction. CCV seems to be about the only player who can regularly turn and lose tacklers.

Lack of support in the box, meaning we cannot turn opportunities into shots. Players get the ball and run across the face of goal (some 12 yards out), looking for an opening, but not getting one, constantly under pressure. There aren't the extra bodies to draw defenders off or to provide options. Our slowness (run a few yards, pause and look around) allows defences to thoroughly regroup. Sears isn't the only one of our players who lacks the confidence to just "have a go". Knudsen will, with considerable force, but isn't the greatest marksman.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I didn't realise how bad our goalscoring record was since Christmas on 13:25 - Mar 20 with 1447 viewsPinewoodblue

I didn't realise how bad our goalscoring record was since Christmas on 13:21 - Mar 20 by Guthrum

Among the biggest problems we have on the pitch are:

Players getting the ball facing our own end, thus having to run in that direction. CCV seems to be about the only player who can regularly turn and lose tacklers.

Lack of support in the box, meaning we cannot turn opportunities into shots. Players get the ball and run across the face of goal (some 12 yards out), looking for an opening, but not getting one, constantly under pressure. There aren't the extra bodies to draw defenders off or to provide options. Our slowness (run a few yards, pause and look around) allows defences to thoroughly regroup. Sears isn't the only one of our players who lacks the confidence to just "have a go". Knudsen will, with considerable force, but isn't the greatest marksman.

It's almost as if they are fearful of something, or someone.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

I didn't realise how bad our goalscoring record was since Christmas on 16:51 - Mar 20 with 1323 viewsbritbiker

Although I have no stats to back it up, I feel our second half performances this year have been really dull. I know we rarely have two good halves but in seasons gone by if the first half was poor I expected the second half to improve. This season if the first half is poor the second half becomes a grind.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024