Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Company Car 12:50 - Mar 16 with 6531 viewsBurwell_Blue

My CC is up for renewal soon and the company are pushing for a change and are giving some incentives to change to either a 2.0 GTD Golf or a similar spec Audi.

Can anyone recommend one or the other? Or perhaps an alternative that will cost around the £28k mark (only stipulations are that it has to be 5 door, black grey or silver and not too outrageous.
Company Car on 17:19 - Mar 16 with 1414 viewsrosseden

Company Car on 17:02 - Mar 16 by No9

One of the most reliable cars I've eve had was an Alfa, far more reliable than any Henry I have had

Just need to be serviced by people who know what they are doing.

The V6 engine is a thing of beauty, i have one in a hillman imp race car im building. the sound is immense.....

Poll: can the majority of twtd users count?
Blog: [Blog] To Deal or Not to Deal, That is the Question?

Company Car on 17:23 - Mar 16 with 1412 viewsNo9

Company Car on 17:19 - Mar 16 by rosseden

The V6 engine is a thing of beauty, i have one in a hillman imp race car im building. the sound is immense.....

It was voted the best production (car ) engine several times, it's flexibility and torque is quite remarkable.
All Alfa engines were good - except those that originated in GM
Company Car on 17:24 - Mar 16 with 1411 viewsNo9

Company Car on 17:19 - Mar 16 by rosseden

Alfa V6 in an Imp?
That must have been some shoe horn job?
Company Car on 17:33 - Mar 16 with 1401 viewsrosseden

Company Car on 17:24 - Mar 16 by No9

Alfa V6 in an Imp?
That must have been some shoe horn job?

gearbox and clutch are hydraulic, taken the engine out of the front of the Alfa and midmounted in the imp, so its a 2 seater mid engined car now, engine just behind the seats, driving the rear wheels (literally pick it up and move it back) moounted on a T50 space frame, clutch and gearbox all linked through, and pipework for fuel tank and rad etc which is under the bonnet, from front to back in a false floor. Wide arches on the back to allow for width increase, but uses all standard props and brakes from the alfa...... wheels was one of the issues, but using standard alfa hubs so just need alfa split rims on the back and standard wheels on the front.

ill send you some pics if you want to see it.....
[Post edited 16 Mar 2018 17:39]

Company Car on 17:40 - Mar 16 with 1389 viewsNo9

Company Car on 17:33 - Mar 16 by rosseden

gearbox and clutch are hydraulic, taken the engine out of the front of the Alfa and midmounted in the imp, so its a 2 seater mid engined car now, engine just behind the seats, driving the rear wheels (literally pick it up and move it back) moounted on a T50 space frame, clutch and gearbox all linked through, and pipework for fuel tank and rad etc which is under the bonnet, from front to back in a false floor. Wide arches on the back to allow for width increase, but uses all standard props and brakes from the alfa...... wheels was one of the issues, but using standard alfa hubs so just need alfa split rims on the back and standard wheels on the front.

ill send you some pics if you want to see it.....
[Post edited 16 Mar 2018 17:39]

It is a fore & aft engine then, with the rear transaxle?
Sounds fun

Unusually for production engines Alfa's came out very close to the makers BHP claims - mine on the RR was just under before set up & just over after set up - no additional parts

The Norfolk Turkey man had a few 4X4 Alfa 156 LHD fast jobs a few years ago - 2.5L I believe
Company Car on 17:46 - Mar 16 with 1387 viewsrosseden

Company Car on 17:40 - Mar 16 by No9

It is a fore & aft engine then, with the rear transaxle?
Sounds fun

Unusually for production engines Alfa's came out very close to the makers BHP claims - mine on the RR was just under before set up & just over after set up - no additional parts

The Norfolk Turkey man had a few 4X4 Alfa 156 LHD fast jobs a few years ago - 2.5L I believe

its literally engine, gearbox, running gear, all taken out of the front of the fwd 2.5v6 6speed 156, and mounted in the back of the imp behind the seats, nothing changed at all, all original alfa running gear, brakes, etc, even the suspension from the front of the alfa is now mounted in the rear of the imp (will have to change the springs though). Everyone thought i was nuts when i said i was going to do that, but i did the sums and it worked. had to have some custom shocks for the front though to carry another set of alfa front brakes from another car, theyre only about 11 inch at their highest point..... once its done i think the biggest issue will be stopping it, itll be about 600kg and 200 plus BHP with the weight right in the middle. got a Q2 LSD going in it to help traction.... but im still worried about stopping......

Company Car on 17:56 - Mar 16 with 1378 viewsNo9

Company Car on 17:46 - Mar 16 by rosseden

its literally engine, gearbox, running gear, all taken out of the front of the fwd 2.5v6 6speed 156, and mounted in the back of the imp behind the seats, nothing changed at all, all original alfa running gear, brakes, etc, even the suspension from the front of the alfa is now mounted in the rear of the imp (will have to change the springs though). Everyone thought i was nuts when i said i was going to do that, but i did the sums and it worked. had to have some custom shocks for the front though to carry another set of alfa front brakes from another car, theyre only about 11 inch at their highest point..... once its done i think the biggest issue will be stopping it, itll be about 600kg and 200 plus BHP with the weight right in the middle. got a Q2 LSD going in it to help traction.... but im still worried about stopping......

I understand your stopping fears BUT, as one of my car freak friends in the 60's said - when he put a Jag engine/ gb into a E93 Ford sit up & beg"I build my cars to go not stop"

I presume you are going to race this beast?
Company Car on 18:00 - Mar 16 with 1375 viewsNo9

Company Car on 17:46 - Mar 16 by rosseden

Thinking of brakes, is there nothing from the Brembo catalogue that can do an upgrade job?
Login to get fewer ads

Company Car on 18:02 - Mar 16 with 1373 viewsrosseden

Company Car on 18:00 - Mar 16 by No9

Thinking of brakes, is there nothing from the Brembo catalogue that can do an upgrade job?

im more concerned about abs working etc, there will be plenty of rubber on it, but itll be light, and the balance wont be bang on i doubt, will stick it on race scales though to balance it up as best i can.....

Company Car on 18:03 - Mar 16 with 1372 viewsrosseden

Company Car on 17:56 - Mar 16 by No9

I understand your stopping fears BUT, as one of my car freak friends in the 60's said - when he put a Jag engine/ gb into a E93 Ford sit up & beg"I build my cars to go not stop"

I presume you are going to race this beast?

no intention of racing it as such, maybe a few track days, possibly a hill climb, but its got 1 off bodywork, so need to be a little sensible as dont want to bin it,, more a fast road thing really to add to the collection....

Company Car on 18:06 - Mar 16 with 1371 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Company Car on 15:12 - Mar 16 by TIB

Alfa's are far better in terms of reliability these days, that goes for both their petrol and diesel engines. Have to admit, if I was older / had kids I'd be getting a Giulia. Alfa is on a big push over the next couple of years to try and catch-up the big German manufacturers on sales so are doing far better offers.

Why are they bothering? Diesel and petrol will be banned in 12 years (or sooner) and most of these companies will become defunct anyway. Instead they should be looking to deversify while they can before they all become Kodaks
Company Car on 18:33 - Mar 16 with 1360 viewstcblue

Out of those choices, I would go with VW. The other German brands all have an identity which aren't really my cup of tea.

I bought what I'm hoping is my last ever ICE car (albeit a hybrid) this year. 3 years when I chop it in I hope the charging infrastructure will be greatly improved. Electric cars already have the range I need (just about), it's just the amount, speed and reliability of the charger networks which badly needs improving in Britain.
Company Car on 18:46 - Mar 16 with 1358 viewsCrofty

Company Car on 16:57 - Mar 16 by rosseden

comcar is a great website to work out costs, also the leasing companies have some handy tools when ordering too.

Ive just been through the process, ended up with an A5 Sline Stronic. Went through BMW, Audi, Merc ranges, looked at all the costs etc, built a geeky spreadsheet to do full 4 year costings, and plumped for the A5 in the end. Enough room for the dogs in the boot etc and a nice car to be in, A4 avant and A6 avant were nice too, spec on a6 wasnt as nice, and preferred the A5 to the A4 when driving. BMW was a nice place to be too, but the Mercs really werent great tbh.

message me if you want the geeky spreadsheet

I went for the A5 when I changed my company car in January it's a great drive, I do close to 25k a year and actually look forward to driving it still everyday.
Company Car on 18:48 - Mar 16 with 1357 viewsDurovigutum

Neither. They're both German. Why do people keep running with the herd? It's like supporting Man City.... The only positive for Brexit is the possibility of reducing the amount of German metal on the roads....

I've owned two Audi's, btw.
Company Car on 21:24 - Mar 16 with 1314 viewsrosseden

Company Car on 18:46 - Mar 16 by Crofty

I went for the A5 when I changed my company car in January it's a great drive, I do close to 25k a year and actually look forward to driving it still everyday.

did you go Tfsi, or TDI? Auto / Manual? i havent had one for more than a test drive, so im still a little nervous!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024